• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Your Cat Making Christmas Decorating a Challenge?

In summary, Moose is almost 1 1/2 years old, however, the kitten is coming out!! The kitten has been playing with Moose and is now almost 1 1/2 years old.
baychef
Silver Member
My beloved, Moose, is now almost 1 1/2 years old, however, the kitten is coming out!!

I decorated the Christmas tree (it's fake, shoot me, and pre-lit since it is just me that seems to put decorations up and down!) Well, Moose wants to "help" Last year I put the tree up and he spent enough time sprinting up in it that I never put bulbs, etc. on it.

Moose still loves getting up in the tree even though he can't run up it!! (he is now over 12 pounds!) As I was putting on decorations, I would have this face poke out at me between the branches!! And at one time I saw this paw come out of the branches to bat around a Boyd's Bear plush ornament!!

Stupid me put on a few bulbs that were breakable. And took them off today when two ended up landing on the stone hearth of the fireplace shattered!! He even tried to help me find some unbreakable ornaments by getting halfway in the box...I turned and all I saw was his butt and tail hanging over the side of the box as he was "looking"!!

Now that my son is 17, I am finding that Moose is putting that "challenge" back into the Christmas tree!!

Last edited:
Ya know, Mom, it's really nice of you to put that giant cat toy out in the middle of the living room.

Thanks for the heads up. We purposely got an artificial tree because our cat likes to eat plants/grass. We shall see, as I havent put the tree up yet. I sure hope Christmas (that is her name) doesnt climb up the tree...that must be a nightmare! LOL

Sometimes it helps to put the tree up for a couple of days with no decorations. That gives the little brat a chance to get used to it being there without the temptation of dangling, shining and breakable cat toys on it.

Long ago we put up a fake tree the 2 cats just kept climbing it and knocking it over. We finally went and bought a real tree and they stayed away from that one.

DH said that with the cats he and his ex used to have, he'd actually anchor the tree to the ceiling... LOL. My cats just used to drink the tree dry... something about that sweet sap soaked water I guess.

cats in the treeI remember the first time I spotted my Skippy in the artificial tree, quite a shock seeing those green eyes staring back at me. He has broken two trees now. We have since added another cat, Juni, but she hasn't ever been in the tree. I have found that since we have started putting unbreakable ornaments at the bottom of the tree that they will play with those but leave the tree alone (knock on wood). For the first time in a long time we have put the tree up just after Thanksgiving so we'll see what shape it is in at Christmas time.

Early Merry Christmas to all! :D

Yes, KG, Moose's reaction was as you said...thanks for putting this huge cat toy in the living room for me to play on! He will continue to get into it since last year he spent lots of time climbing into it...even without the unbreakable decorations! He was so happy to see things on the mantle too (the one he plays "cat walk" on) but was disappointed to see I didn't leave him much room for a landing pad when he jumps up.

He is resting up for tonight's second climb.:indif: He likes to use the greens to floss his teeth with! So the tree may smell like Salmon!!!!:yuck:

I had looked at the upside down trees but he would bat at that too. That would hurt if it fell from the ceiling!!

I have unbreakables at the bottom of the tree...some tiny mittens strung together so the are good for battling. This little man MUST climb the tree. He killed 2 breakable and knocked off only one unbreakable! I am getting all kinds of hair in the tree. It looks like blonde "angel hair"...it's really blonde "devil fur"!!! He won't let me brush him, but the tree can spike him in the fanny and that is ok!! He's such a cutie!

http://video.yahoo.com/video/play?vid=1435088&fr=yvmtf

Thanks for the laughs. Cat toys indeed!We no longer decorate for the holidays but remember cats swinging in the trees, playing with figures from the manger scene.>^..^< Thanks for the memories

Debala715 said:
I think you'll enjoy seeing this webpage:

A Cat's Christmas

Deb, just checked this out...fantastic!! Thanks for sharing! Moose has fallen in love with one of my bear ornaments. The little bear is dressed in red jammies and carries a riding horse (the one with the head on the stick...how Godfatherish!!) and a present. He has been kissing this bear on the lips all day long!!

baychef said:
Deb, just checked this out...fantastic!! Thanks for sharing! Moose has fallen in love with one of my bear ornaments. The little bear is dressed in red jammies and carries a riding horse (the one with the head on the stick...how Godfatherish!!) and a present. He has been kissing this bear on the lips all day long!!
awwww....Moose is in love:love: :love: :love:

How cute!!!
I can't have a tree up with my 2 little darlings!:rolleyes:
The male cat weighs 19 pounds!!:eek:

chefmeg said:
awwww....Moose is in love:love: :love: :love:

Yes, he may be but I have this nightmare of coming home from work one day and the bear being chewed on!!!:eek:

I've been lucky, neither of my cats have messed with my tree this year. Now my daughter on the other hand she is another story;)

This is our siamese twins' first Xmas. I put the tree up yesterday & they are fascinated. I kept waiting to wake up in the night to the sound of the tree crashing to the floor. So far so good; they just keep smelling it.

Oh, thanks. Now I've got that blasted song from Lady & The Tramp stuck in my head.Weeeee are Siamessssssse if you pleasssssssssse.
Weeeee are Siamessssssse if you don't pleasssssssssse.

Just a tip that my dad used to do because our fat cat would always climb the tree - secure the tree base to a large square board of any kind. This way it makes it sturdier so it's less likely to tip over.

My cat now is just to lazy to climb the tree. He usually tries to get the branches to scratch his back and sits under it between all the presents but doesn't climb

Our outside garland, lights and bows are not going to fare real well with our two puppies I'm afraid. They did some major redecorating during the night... sigh... the outside deco's are some of my favorite... the bows may all be shredded before long

Our kitty is 3 months old! I am sure she will be climbing the tree. Not up yet. We wait till my birthday is over which is Friday.

Ann R.

kitty.gif

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Sometimes it helps to put the tree up for a couple of days with no decorations. That gives the little brat a chance to get used to it being there without the temptation of dangling, shining and breakable cat toys on it.
That's exactly what my SIL does, which is why she starts decorating a few weeks before Thanksgiving! lol

My MIL has never really put up a Christmas tree -just a little fiber optic one that sits on a shelf. The excuse was that their cat would knock it over. Well, since we're staying here this Christmas, my SIL and I went shopping. :D We brought them a nice pre-lit tree and decorated it for them. My oldest DS :love:loves:love: Christmas decorations, so he was our excuse. lol So far the cat hasn't touched the tree! :thumbup:

All of this talk about cats and Christmas brings to mind my friend Debbie. Her cat hides her baby Jesus when he's mad at her. That's right. If she does something to tick off the cat, i.e. not playing with him when he wants attention, not letting him out when he wants to roam, etc., he goes to her nativity set and steals the baby Jesus. It can be gone for hours or days, depending on how mad he is. Yes, he brings it back once he's forgiven her. He once took it for about 2 1/2 weeks. I don't know what she did, but he was certainly mad.In case you are wondering, he never takes any of the other figurines. Jesus is the only one he steals.

How funny! But I am sure it is because it can fit the Baby Jesus in it's mouth. Joseph's staff would puncture kitty's sinus!!! Is the cat a type of Maine Coon? My cat is and one of their traits is playing catch. I guess this cat is playing hide and seek...or hide and wait till I forgive you!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
That is exactly how Moose looked when I tried to extract his 12 pound butt out of the top of the tree today. It is starting to look like a Moose has taken naps in the tree!!

It's a fairly small set, so I'm pretty sure he'd be able to cart off any of the pieces. He just seems to have fixated on baby Jesus.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Oh, thanks. Now I've got that blasted song from Lady & The Tramp stuck in my head.

Weeeee are Siamessssssse if you pleasssssssssse.
Weeeee are Siamessssssse if you don't pleasssssssssse.

You're welcome! My girls sang that a lot when we first got them.

Lacy,
what did you name them? We just got our kids one (ok, we got it for me) but can't agree on a name. My son wants Felix I chose Harvey and my daughter likes Kitty.... Um, no!
He is the biggest little pain in the rear but he is adorable he has 2 favorite places, my keyboard whn I'm typing and anywhere my cat hating husband is (especially his lap).

My Christmas tree is one of the many reasons we talked Luke into giving our cat away. We bribed him with another 6 foot blow-up Christmas decoration that he was wanting! I know I am horrible but the cat has started causing way too many problems.

Teresa Lynn said:
Lacy,
what did you name them? We just got our kids one (ok, we got it for me) but can't agree on a name. My son wants Felix I chose Harvey and my daughter likes Kitty.... Um, no!
He is the biggest little pain in the rear but he is adorable he has 2 favorite places, my keyboard whn I'm typing and anywhere my cat hating husband is (especially his lap).
How do they know? Cats always manage to find that person and love 'em up!

yes last night he kept getting in our bed, i would let him sleep on my side but NOOOOO, he kept climbing over me to get to him.

This is so true! And they find the highly allergic ones too!! I used to have team meetings at my home but then changed. One time I decided to have one at my home for one time and sure enough, I didn't ask everyone if they had allergies. Luckily I had some benadryl!!

I didn't even have the tree lit up last night and didn't really look at it. Moose has a ritual in the morning. He loves running as fast as he can from one end of the house to the other several times and flying up over the couch. He started doing that this morning and then he ended up running up the tree...it was just a rocking!!!

When I really looked at the tree, he had at least 5 ornaments knocked off and the top of the tree (you know, the last part to go on that resembles a tiny tree???) Was the only part not smooshed down!

I love Moose to pieces and I am glad that he is enjoying Christmas too. So much more fun to run up a tree than open a lame kitty gift at Christmas!! As long as I do not have breakables up, he is ok.

Decided not to put the Christmas village up this year...Moose would be "Catzilla" and have to terrorize the town each day!!!:eek: :eek:

Puck also gets "The Rips" at various times of the day. As I type this, he is chasing up the stairs, into the bedroom, up on the bed, across the bed, down on the floor and back downstairs. I can't say for sure, but usually the downstairs end of the tour is the bathtub, which he loves. Then the entire tour route is repeated at high speed.I swear, that cat isn't wired up right.

I like that..."The Rips"!! Puck's sound of speed journey reminds me of the Family Circus cartoon when it shows the travel of one of the children!
I am assuming the bathtub has no water in it! Moose loves to play with water but does not play well when bathed!

"see that little fishie swiming round and round? We can stick our paw in there and make it drown" That's the next verse, the rest of it I don't remember. :)

Yes, my fluff ball in curled up in his basket all cozy and snuggly. Earlier I was telling my Mom about him and the Christmas tree. She was laughing when I described the Christmas tree waving like a pine in a hurricane!!

They look so innocent when they're sleeping...but we know what lurks beneath the serene surface.

Well, we let our 2 daughters pick the names....so they are Lizzie & Cutie Pie. :)
Lizzie's favorite spot now is sleeping under the tree on the tree skirt. Aww, how cute; I can only imagine her dreams, lol!

Our big tree is 12' tall and the kitten is 2 months old, last night he had it shaking. we had the lights on chase and he was going wild he has knocked the lower strand of lights off. broken some ornaments and nearly relocated the tree skirt by playing on it.
The tree in my office is an upside down tree & I decorated it in hot pink, teal, lime and turquoise everyday he knocks the hot pink ornaments off.
because of its shape he uses it as a scratching post AAARRRGGHHH
right now he is sleeping on my lap really hate to disturb him but tons to do today.

Pages from a cat's diary...DAY 183 OF MY CAPTIVITY

My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture.

Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking, almost succeeded; must try this at the top of the stairs next time. In an attempt to disgust and repulse them, I again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair. (Note-to-self: I think I'll try urinating under their bed, too. Wonder how long it'll take them to find it?)

Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was. Not working according to plan. There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary confinement throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise and smell the food.

More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergeez." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage. I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and may be snitches. The dogs are routinely released and seem more than happy to return. They must obviously be half-wits.

The bird, on the other hand, appears to have become an informant, and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room, his safety is preserved. But I can wait; it's only a matter of time...

DAY 185 OF MY CAPTIVITY

It is now my 185th day in captivity. My captors have completely eliminated my canned food and replaced it with dry kibble, claiming that it is better for my health. The wet food was the only thing I looked forward too, and now even that has been taken from me. I have discovered, however, that the dry food serves to create sharper points on my teeth, and keeps them stronger. I must force myself to consume it, regardless of the taste.

Each morning, they read pages of what is called a newspaper. I found that it is particularly annoying to my captors if I lie on it while they read. Shredding the newspaper is also a particular peeve of theirs, and I have taken delight in doing this before they awake each morning.

My captors have now obtained a "fish tank" - which serves to make up for part of my loss in the food department. While the little creatures are tiny, they are quite tasty. They have yet to replace the two small fish that I have consumed. I must think of a way to make them notice the loss.

The bird continues to mock me. Its little metal room has proven stronger than originally anticipated...

DAY 201 OF MY CAPTIVITY

I'm unsure of my ability to survive as a captive and have made several attempts to break out. At first, it was simple enough to circle my captors feet, in a surreptitious manner, as they opened the front door. I would then bolt from them through the door to freedom. But, to no avail - they caught me in a manner of minutes - my legs are not as fast as they used to be and I grow weak with continued imprisonment. What is worse is that since the first attempt, I have now found myself separated from the living room. My captors are much more intelligent than originally anticipated...

For entertainment, I have taken to terrorizing the dogs by sitting on the kitchen table and swiping at them with my long nails. The dogs are obvious half-wits. They know very little about my skills as a hunter, and are forbidden by my captors to attack me. The dogs grow more irritated each day.

I have found my captors are easy to manipulate in many ways, but outdoor access remains elusive. I have not lost hope, however, and have every intention of escaping this horrid place one-day soon...

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
How do they know? Cats always manage to find that person and love 'em up!
I am one of those people that they always find and try to climb all over!! lol I'm not really a cat person in the first place (I don't mind them from a distance), but I'm allergic as well - they always seem to pick me to cuddle up with! :yuck: Luckily, my MIL's cat isn't much of a cuddler - and I have lots of allergy medicine!! :D

Teresa Lynn said:
Our big tree is 12' tall and the kitten is 2 months old, last night he had it shaking. we had the lights on chase and he was going wild he has knocked the lower strand of lights off. broken some ornaments and nearly relocated the tree skirt by playing on it.
The tree in my office is an upside down tree & I decorated it in hot pink, teal, lime and turquoise everyday he knocks the hot pink ornaments off.
because of its shape he uses it as a scratching post AAARRRGGHHH
right now he is sleeping on my lap really hate to disturb him but tons to do today.
Teresa, thanks for the laugh!! Moose would be all over that tree if it had chase lights!! Today my boyfriend remarked how Moose has been having his way with the tree and boy does it show! I never did pick the ornaments up yet. I will this weekend when I actually get to sit down and enjoy it. He has 7 ornaments knocked off. There are plenty more to keep him busy until Saturday! It is starting to look like and elephant sat on part of it!!!

KG, I can't view you tube from work, but if it is the one I was sent earlier this week...I love it. Moose talks to me like that. I try to answer him back but he just goes:confused: and plays in the DIHYDROGEN MONOXIDE. Yes, I let him take some in today and left some for him to play in today. Revenge for taking over the tree!

I have to wrap and put the xmas presents under the tree pretty much the same day I put it up. If I don't, Chloe and Snickers will try and climb it from the bottom. With the presents under there, they pretty much stay away. Every so often they'll try and attack something, but I just don't put any breakeable ornaments on the bottom... :)

I was a bad mommy I never saved the things the kids made
so all our ornaments are breakable

Well, I cat is gone. My dad took it to a Feed & Seed store and they are going to keep it at the store. Luke asked about it once last night but that was it. He did ask to get another cat and I told him no they caused too much trouble. He was unhappy for about 1 minute and was fine after that and has not mentioned the cat again. I hope my luck continues tonight! I can get the cat back if it comes down to it.

I like both dogs and cats, but for me a cat is much less work than a dog. I am gone several hours a day and I can't see having a dog just so I can keep it on a leash or penned in a yard all day (and sometimes evenings). I like the fact that I don't have to get up in the middle of the night and take a dog out to pee or get woken up by a dog. The normally doesn't wake up and if he does it is rare where he will do anything to wake me up.

<h2>1. How can I keep my cat from playing with the Christmas tree?</h2><p>Cats are naturally curious and love to explore new things, so it can be challenging to keep them away from the Christmas tree. One way to deter them is by using a cat deterrent spray or placing double-sided tape around the base of the tree. You can also try using a cat tree or other toys to distract them from the tree.</p><h2>2. What types of decorations are safe to use with a cat?</h2><p>If you have a mischievous cat who loves to play with decorations, it's important to use only cat-friendly decorations. Avoid using breakable or sharp ornaments and opt for unbreakable, non-toxic options. You can also try using ornaments made specifically for cats, such as catnip-filled toys or plastic balls.</p><h2>3. How can I keep my cat from climbing the tree?</h2><p>Cats are natural climbers and may see the Christmas tree as the perfect place to explore. To prevent this, make sure the tree is securely anchored to the wall or ceiling. You can also try placing aluminum foil or double-sided tape on the lower branches to deter your cat from climbing up.</p><h2>4. What should I do if my cat knocks over decorations?</h2><p>If your cat accidentally knocks over decorations, make sure to clean up any broken pieces immediately to prevent injuries. Keep an eye on your cat to make sure they don't ingest any small pieces, and consider using only unbreakable decorations in the future.</p><h2>5. How can I include my cat in the holiday festivities without risking damage to decorations?</h2><p>One way to include your cat in the holiday fun is by giving them their own decorations to play with, such as a mini tree or a string of cat-safe lights. You can also involve them in the decorating process by letting them sniff and explore the decorations before hanging them up. Just make sure to supervise your cat and remove any potential hazards.</p>

1. How can I keep my cat from playing with the Christmas tree?

Cats are naturally curious and love to explore new things, so it can be challenging to keep them away from the Christmas tree. One way to deter them is by using a cat deterrent spray or placing double-sided tape around the base of the tree. You can also try using a cat tree or other toys to distract them from the tree.

2. What types of decorations are safe to use with a cat?

If you have a mischievous cat who loves to play with decorations, it's important to use only cat-friendly decorations. Avoid using breakable or sharp ornaments and opt for unbreakable, non-toxic options. You can also try using ornaments made specifically for cats, such as catnip-filled toys or plastic balls.

3. How can I keep my cat from climbing the tree?

Cats are natural climbers and may see the Christmas tree as the perfect place to explore. To prevent this, make sure the tree is securely anchored to the wall or ceiling. You can also try placing aluminum foil or double-sided tape on the lower branches to deter your cat from climbing up.

4. What should I do if my cat knocks over decorations?

If your cat accidentally knocks over decorations, make sure to clean up any broken pieces immediately to prevent injuries. Keep an eye on your cat to make sure they don't ingest any small pieces, and consider using only unbreakable decorations in the future.

5. How can I include my cat in the holiday festivities without risking damage to decorations?

One way to include your cat in the holiday fun is by giving them their own decorations to play with, such as a mini tree or a string of cat-safe lights. You can also involve them in the decorating process by letting them sniff and explore the decorations before hanging them up. Just make sure to supervise your cat and remove any potential hazards.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Kitchen Diva
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
Replies
Views
tlag1986
  • thechefofnorthbend
  • General Chat
Replies