• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is There a Way to Ask so People Won't Say No?

you can by telling them it will help THEM. So when I am talking to someone about hosting a show, I tell them that hosting a show will help me connect with new people and help me learn more about party planning. I think it's important to remember that the goal isn't to get the person to say "yes," the goal is to get the person to say "I want to learn more."
childs21503
are there certain things to say so people won't say no when you ask them if they want to have a show, or to keep them from saying no when you invite them to your own show?

thanks

I wish there were some magic words! If anyone knows them, please post them! :D Seriously, I think it gets easier with practice. Hyping the host benefits before you come out and ask if they'll host a show is probably what I would suggest the most. Are you asking about tips on what to say while presenting at shows or when you are just talking to someone about PC in conversation? Or your friends and family when you're just starting PC? When I started and approached friends and family to host my first 6 shows (it took 6 shows to qualify when I started), I would basically come out and ask them for a favor. Then I asked point blank if they could support me while I started up my business and host a show. I was so overwhelmed with how supportive everyone was.

When you're talking at shows or just talking in conversation about PC and hostin shows, I've heard not to even mention "hosting a show" or "hosting a party." You can use words like "getting your friends over for a get-together where I come cook for you" or call it a "cooking class" if that doesn't turn people off. I think people hear "hosting a show" and it could turn them off.

I would strongly suggest taking some of the teleclasses that PC offers. I haven't looked at the schedule yet, but there used to be some that had good suggestions. The "Lemon Aid Lady" is someone who has spoken at Conference before. She's been involved in direct sales forever and has made a business out of consulting with consultants. I know one of her books is entitled "How to book shows when you run out of friends or family" or something to that effect. She probably has some good suggestions. She has a website where you can sign up for her free email newsletter. Her website is www.partyplanpeople.com.

Hope that helps! :)

Anne:

When I am taking orders at shows, I have a piece of paper with my next available show dates on it. I leave a space next to each date for a name, phone number and email. As each guest is checking out, I say "if you're thinking about hosting a show, these are my next available dates. Please let me know if you had another date in mind." This way I am politely asking each and every guest. If they're not interested, they do nothing (and I don't feel like I hear "no"all the time), but I usually end up with 1 or 2 bookings this way at every show.

As for hosting your own shows, you might want to make it a "Mystery Host" show where one of your guests receives the host benefits for the show. That's a pretty big "what's in it for me" draw, just be sure your guests understand how much they have to gain by attending! I have more success with that type of show for my own than doing a straight show.

I hope this helps!

Mary

Last edited:
I would be afraid if everyone said yes to host a show. Some people are not good at it and some will only say they will to help out a friend or for other wrong reasons. If they don't really want to then they will not make good hosts anyway. So you should fell better that they know what they want.

I know that is hard to understand or hear when you are really in a need for shows but think on it a little.

By the way some people just ask what day out of these two or three days is best for you. That way you control the conversation and make it sound as if you expect that everyone would want a show. It also allows you to control your calendar. You only give them the first few days you want to book. That way you don't have 4 shows the last week of the month and none before that.

Well, so far everyone I've asked to host a show has scheduled one. Of course, that's only three people ;)

But I can tell you what I do, maybe it's different from what you do. I read in a book ("How To Win Friends and Influence People" by Dale Carnegie) that you can't get people do to things by telling them how it will help YOU, but only how it will help THEM. So what I do is talk to the people about what products they want, pick the highest price item they mention, and say "You know, if you host a show, you can get that item at a discount (or free)". When I see that they are salivating at the idea of getting the item that cheap, I say "And if you host a show in July, you can even more discounts because we have a promotion this month for the Chillzane mini bowl...".

This is how I got people back home to host catalog shows, too. I pointed out the savings. People like to help other people, but they like free/discounted stuff more. :D

That is a fantastic book for everyone to read. I am just about to reread it as it has been about a year since I did so. Go get it. IT really makes you think.

Hey thanks for the advice everyone.

Tiffany- I'm in Kissimmee, not too far! :)

1. Can you provide some tips on how to ask for something without getting a "no" response?

One tip is to use positive language and focus on the benefits for the other person. For example, instead of saying "Can you help me with this project?" you could say "I would really appreciate your expertise on this project, it would make a big difference." This approach makes the person feel valued and more likely to say yes.

2. How can I make my request sound less demanding or pushy?

Be mindful of your tone and body language. Avoid using aggressive or demanding language such as "You have to do this" or "I need this right away." Instead, try using more polite and understanding phrases like "Would it be possible for you to help me with this?" or "I understand if you're busy, but could you please take a look at this?" This shows respect and consideration for the other person's time and schedule.

3. Is there a certain time or setting that is more conducive to getting a positive response?

Yes, timing and environment can play a big role in someone's willingness to say yes. Try to ask when the person is in a good mood and not feeling overwhelmed or stressed. Also, consider the setting - it may be better to have a face-to-face conversation rather than sending an email or making a phone call.

4. What are some phrases I can use to soften my request and make it more likely to be accepted?

Some phrases that can help soften your request include "I understand if this is not possible, but..." or "I know this is a lot to ask, but..." You can also use "I would be so grateful if..." or "It would mean a lot to me if you could..." These phrases show that you are aware of the person's potential hesitation and are not trying to pressure them into saying yes.

5. How can I handle a "no" response without damaging the relationship?

If someone says no to your request, it's important to remain respectful and understanding. Thank them for considering your request and assure them that it's okay if they are unable to help. You can also offer alternatives or suggest revisiting the request at a later time. It's important to not take the "no" personally and to maintain a positive attitude towards the person.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
raebates
  • naekelsey
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
gayle
  • completelychristie