• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to avoid being pushy in your conversations?

In summary, if someone says no thank you to a consultant, the consultant should follow up with "does no mean not now, or never?" and ask if the person would like to be updated on specials and receive free tips and recipes through the e-newsletter. If the person says no, the consultant should leave them alone.
pcchris
Silver Member
Hello Cheffers! I have a question...at what point in a conversation with someone do you stop to avoid being "pushy"? :confused: Here's why I ask...and please let me know your opinion. When I talk to people and they say no thank you, I will follow up with "does no mean not now, or never"? I feel that is a little on the pushy side, but tolerable. Then I ask if I can call them in a couple of months, then drop it. There is someone I know in PC that will not take no for an answer. She will keep calling and nagging people until they say they'll have a show just so she'll stop bugging them about it. I think that #1 - that's not right to do that, #2 - is that host really going to be excited to have her show, and do a good job? I don't know...what do you all think? I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but do you think that's rude? Just wondering. Thank you.

I think you are handling it just fine....the other consultant is the definition of pushy.

Most of the consultants I know continue to call until they are told No, not ever... I do pretty much what you do, and if it's no, not ever, I ask if they'd like to be updated on specials and receive free tips and recipes through my e-newsletter. That will keep my name in front of them, and if they ever change their mind, they can find me easily.

Personally, if a consultant continued to call me to ask me to host a show, or join her team, even after I said NO, I would NEVER do business with him/her.

There is a difference, in my opinion, in calling to pester and calling for CCC. There are some people that I know will not host, but I call them from time-to-time after they've ordered to make sure they are happy with their products. Keeping my customers happy will result in repeat business, and if they ever decide in the near or far future that they want to have a show, I'll be there for them......

Do I say anything to her, or just let her do things her way? What would you do? I know if I was pushy like that, an I had a customer tell someone that "I only booked a show to get her to leave me alone", I would hope someone would tell me I'm out of line!! LOL!!!

I think what you are doing is fine and you are not being pushy at all.

pcchris said:
Do I say anything to her, or just let her do things her way? What would you do? I know if I was pushy like that, an I had a customer tell someone that "I only booked a show to get her to leave me alone", I would hope someone would tell me I'm out of line!! LOL!!!

I wouldn't say anything to her. You do it your way and she'll do it hers.
JM2Cents

pcchris said:
Hello Cheffers! I have a question...at what point in a conversation with someone do you stop to avoid being "pushy"? :confused: Here's why I ask...and please let me know your opinion. When I talk to people and they say no thank you, I will follow up with "does no mean not now, or never"? I feel that is a little on the pushy side, but tolerable. Then I ask if I can call them in a couple of months, then drop it. There is someone I know in PC that will not take no for an answer. She will keep calling and nagging people until they say they'll have a show just so she'll stop bugging them about it. I think that #1 - that's not right to do that, #2 - is that host really going to be excited to have her show, and do a good job? I don't know...what do you all think? I know everyone has their own way of doing things, but do you think that's rude? Just wondering. Thank you.

Funny you type this...I just handed a gal at work a card yesterday that I'm doing with another consultant for a fundraiser for Benaiah Friday night. She knew I was a consultant now and 2 months ago she didn't want to order, but I said next time you want to host a show, I'd be glad to do it...

As I hand her the card she says, "Funny, I have an $850 show in my purse to turn into XXXXXX (an area director not in my cluster)" I said, "Oh, I would LOVE to have an $850 show, great job, bring it my way next time." By the way, why did you have one with XXXXXX, I'd be glad to do one for you.

She said, "I finally did it to get her off my case for awhile, she calls me non-stop and won't take no for an answer and keeps begging me to do a show."

<sigh>

I lost an $850 show, but I do NOT want to be the "pushy" PC person, have to beg people to do shows, etc....

Lesson of it, I am marking my calendar to bug her in 6 months then in about 9 when I know her PHD is about to expire and try to beat XXXXXX to the punch and then she can say, I already have one booked with Janet.

This gal doesn't know the lady outside of PC, has developed a little loyalty but it can be shifted.

I normally wouldn't try to steal from another consultant but she's ordered on shows I've hosted before, I've worked with her longer than XXXXXX has done PC with her, etc...

OK, sorry Chris, but similar situation...hope you don't mind, but I'm curious to hear responses to this too since it is so similar...

Oh, and this girl is getting the trifle bowl so I offered her some recipes...he-he...

Yes, she is doing biz her way, we can do it our way, but the "won't take No for an answer" people affect our biz. Do you ever get people that are afraid to even look you in the eye because they don't want us to start hounding them? MLMs have a terrible reputation for pestering people, so alot of people won't even show interest in order to avoid it.

Yes, actually I do. It bums me out when people get that way, because I'm not like that. I even tell people at my shows and that I talkto that I will not hound them, but will call to follow up after they receive their products. Most are fine with that. Yes, I do ask them when I call if they are intersted in hosting a show, but if they say no, then it's dropped.

DebbieJ said:
I think what you are doing is fine and you are not being pushy at all.

I agree with Debbie ~ I think you get a feel for a persons answer.....

I try to put myself in their place - how do I feel when SEARS keeps calling me up to sell me siding month after month when I tell them "NO"!!

Or the XYZ consultant that keeps pestering me to have another party. I did one for her to get her off of my back :D - and I DON'T even use her product!!:eek: I promised myself I WOULD NOT treat my guests like I would not like to be treated myself...

If a person says "ummmmmm - I don't know?" give her a call.

If they say "NO THANK YOU!!" I ask them if they would like a recipe instead... Then I ask if I can add them to my newsletter lsit - most say YES. This way yo ustill have an "IN" wiht them...

I once heard statistics that said that the average person says no to something 7-8 times before they will say yes. I would say keep asking but not everyday or week spread it out and word it tactfully so that you are offering them something and not asking them to do something for you and you won't seem pushy.

I hate that people don't say anything to me. I follow up to a "maybe" and never get a call back. I need words to use for messages if anyone has a script. I call a two times, send an e-mail and then on my third message I say something like, "I guess this isn't a good time for you so I'll call you in a few months to check in." I don't think that is hounding but I never know what they're really thinking.

janetupnorth said:
Funny you type this...

She said, "I finally did it to get her off my case for awhile, she calls me non-stop and won't take no for an answer and keeps begging me to do a show."

<sigh>

I lost an $850 show, but I do NOT want to be the "pushy" PC person, have to beg people to do shows, etc....

Wow Janet tough break. I admit that this is a bad area for me. I do exactly what was mentioned earlier, I ask does no mean not know or not ever? I even follow the answer no not now (listen ...people tend to explain why not now) with when were you thinking that maybe you might like to get your free products? I find that gives me a range of OK when do I make this person one of my 3 semi-daily (to be honest) contact people. I figure why bother someone in June with a call if they aren't interested until September. What I do to stay in touch is add them to my newsletter and any postcard mailing I may do.

How often do you have shows and get no bookings from them? My first show was a disaster...I had strep throat and ended up in the hopspital the day of the show. I had to cancel the day of; the lady was very understanding, though can't reschedule at this time due to a remodel. She collected about $300 in catalog orders, though I didn't get any bookings. The show I did last night was the same, about $300 but no bookings. I'm feeling like I'm going to have a really hard time getting out of my circle of friends. That first show would have been good for me to get bookings, as I didn't know many of them invited.

I have another show Friday. It's for my sister, at the school that she works at. I am also a teacher, though no one really seems interested. I am excited, but I'm feeling like my business may not "take off" the way that I want it to.

My 30 days is up...and I'm well working toward my 90days. I've closed 1 catalog show, going to close a second one within the week, the show I did last night etc... but no bookings! AHHH!

PCCHRIS, you and I seem to have very similar styles. As for the pushy consultant, do you know her? If it were someone I knew, I would try to find an opening to mention that I try not to become a "Pampered Pest" to my customers. Maybe she'll take the hint.

I know a lot of sales courses (not PC, of course) and books encourage the "never take 'no' for an answer" approach. While it can garner the occasional show to get the hounding to stop, I can't imagine that it builds a good, solid customer base. I also can't imagine that these hounded hosts work all that hard for the hounding consultant. (Though, I wouldn't sneeze at an $850 show!) As a matter of fact, if you've read Doris's book, you'll remember that she HATED the pushiness of many of the direct sales people she had dealt with. It almost stopped her from starting a direct sales business.

I agree that consultants like that give us all a bad image. However, I think that it's possible for us to overcome that with positive, caring, non-badgering contact.

Hi Rae! Actually, the "Pampered Pest" in discussion here is in my cluster. She really is a very nice person, just pushy! I just can't imagine talking someone into having a show! Now, mentioning it in conversation is one thing, but to call and harrass and badger people is totally different! I know that if someone were to call and bug and bug me to have a show, I would tell them that no means never, so please stop calling me! And, you're right...it can have an impact on us non badgering consultants! <sigh>.

If this was within my cluster and was beginning to effect my business contacts, I'd speak to my director. Maybe a cluster training about how far to pursue a "no" is in order.

melissa0277 said:
How often do you have shows and get no bookings from them? My first show was a disaster...I had strep throat and ended up in the hopspital the day of the show. I had to cancel the day of; the lady was very understanding, though can't reschedule at this time due to a remodel. She collected about $300 in catalog orders, though I didn't get any bookings. The show I did last night was the same, about $300 but no bookings. I'm feeling like I'm going to have a really hard time getting out of my circle of friends. That first show would have been good for me to get bookings, as I didn't know many of them invited.

I have another show Friday. It's for my sister, at the school that she works at. I am also a teacher, though no one really seems interested. I am excited, but I'm feeling like my business may not "take off" the way that I want it to.

My 30 days is up...and I'm well working toward my 90days. I've closed 1 catalog show, going to close a second one within the week, the show I did last night etc... but no bookings! AHHH!

It's not easy to get outside your circle of friends....but that's something that you have to do. DO you give any kind of booking incentive? There are TONS of ideas here on CS for bookings. But to answe you original question, YES! I have problems with bookings. Some shows I get 2-3, but most of them I'm lucky to get a catalog show. Makes me think its me...but it's not. Some people just aren't interested in opening their home to people, for whatever reason. Keep trying...

I am no good at getting bookings at the show but do try to find objections. Usually there are a few people who want you to call them later if you talk to the correctly. Also, doing customer care calls helps.

My most successful non-show way of meeting people is at fairs. I get a lot of names but it takes a while to get the shows booked. In fact, I've just talked to a lady from a show last July - she is still interested but I'll call her back in a few weeks. If you can just think of the long-range plan, eventually you'll get lots of "circles of friends" going....

1. When do you become "pushy" as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, we are trained to never be pushy with our customers. Our goal is to share our products and services in a friendly, informative, and non-pressuring manner. We want our customers to feel comfortable and in control of their purchasing decisions.

2. How can I avoid being seen as "pushy" by my customers?

The best way to avoid being seen as pushy is to focus on building relationships with your customers. Get to know their needs and preferences, and offer personalized recommendations based on that. Also, always give them space and respect their decisions, whether it be to purchase or not.

3. Is there a certain sales goal that I need to meet in order to not be considered "pushy"?

No, there is no specific sales goal that determines whether you are being pushy or not. It is more about your approach and attitude towards your customers. As long as you are respectful and not pressuring them into buying, you are not being pushy.

4. How can I effectively communicate the benefits of a product without being seen as "pushy"?

One effective way to communicate the benefits of a product is by sharing personal experiences or stories related to it. This will make the conversation more genuine and relatable, rather than coming off as a sales pitch. Also, focus on how the product can solve a problem or make their life easier, rather than just trying to make a sale.

5. What should I do if a customer feels like I am being "pushy"?

If a customer expresses feeling like you are being pushy, apologize and assure them that it was not your intention. Ask them how you can better assist them and respect their decision, whether it be to purchase or not. Remember, building trust and maintaining a positive relationship with your customers is more important than making a sale.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pamperedlife
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Becca_in_MD
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies