• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Pursuing a Massage Therapy Career Worth Sacrificing Time with My Child?

T
tashayoung
Massage school??? What to do?I'm so torn...I work Full Time as a Staff Accountant and I sell PC part time. I want to have PC replace my FT income. I also have always wanted to be a Massage Therapist. Anyway, I'm thinking about going to school to learn this and I would go in Monday and Wednesday nights for 14 months and all my book work will be done online.

I'm just scared because I really want to do this and I'm working towards becoming a PC Director and I'll be working my FT job until I can quit...plus I have a 4 year old daughter.

I know that I can set up a schedule and I'd be ok.
Monday - school
Tuesday - homework and rest
Wednesday - school
Thursday - PC show or rest
Friday - PC show or rest
Saturday - PC show or rest
Sunday - PC show (only if none on Sat) or rest

I know I can do it. I also know that the busier I am, the more I accomplish in my spare time. I'm just scared. I'm also at a point where the only debt I have is my car and a credit card with $400 on it...but going to school I'd end up with $12,000 in student loans...AHHHH!

Last edited by a moderator:
Tasha - I just finished my Master's Degree last year (started with a < 1 year old and a 3 year-old) finished when they were almost 3 and 5.

I did it with many other activities but was MOTIVATED to finish.

You seem to have a schedule - stick with it. Maybe narrow the options for shows down to only certain evenings and leave the rest of the time for PC paperwork and/or schoolwork.

Good luck!

P.S. Not to brag, but to show it can be done...my Master's Degree was in Technology Management and I got straight A's while working FT with 2 little kids.

HI Tasha,
I am currently pursuing my MTherapy certification.. I only go two days during the week plus 4 out of 7 weekends (our module lengths) plus homeschool my 3 boys and do PC.. It is working out fine! You have the schedule already going~ that will be the most important part is following that and keeping yourself motivated.
What program are you doing? Online?? I love online schooling but have not heard of a program that allowed you to do both.. The "clinic or lab" hours are where you learn the most_IMO..
Good Luck!! :)
Karen

Awww...if you guys weren't so far away I'd be asking for a massage - I need one!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! ;)

Momma23boys said:
HI Tasha,
I am currently pursuing my MTherapy certification.. I only go two days during the week plus 4 out of 7 weekends (our module lengths) plus homeschool my 3 boys and do PC.. It is working out fine! You have the schedule already going~ that will be the most important part is following that and keeping yourself motivated.
What program are you doing? Online?? I love online schooling but have not heard of a program that allowed you to do both.. The "clinic or lab" hours are where you learn the most_IMO..
Good Luck!! :)
Karen

The program is through Heritage College www.heritage-education.com and they're here in Kansas City, MO and Denver. I'd be earning an Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Therapeutic Massage.

Deep Tissue/Sports Massage 9 credits
Neuromuscular Anterior 9 credits
Neuromuscular Posterior 9 credits
Clinical Assessment 11 credits
Musculoskeletal 10.5 credits
Nutritional and Herbology 11 credits
Medical Massage 10.5 credits
Business Mastery 12 credits
Intro. to Chinese Medicine 11 credits
Clinic 7 credits

Anyway they have a regular program where you attend class 5 days a week, but that would be way to much time away from home. I'd have to work 8-4:30 and then school would be 5:30 - 9. Ouch! Now they started the distance learning where I could do all my bookwork, tests, lectures, tests, etc. online and I'll go in Mon/Wed evening for the hands on portion. The last 6 weeks of school will be working in the clinic. This would work much better for my daughter and my PC business. A friend of mine went to school at Heritage and told me about it. She brought all her books up to me this past weekend and oh my goodness...I knew I'd have to learn about all the muscles, but had no clue that I'd be learning every bone and every function of the body. Hehehe! There's a lot of work!

janetupnorth said:
Awww...if you guys weren't so far away I'd be asking for a massage - I need one!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! ;)

Too Funny!!!! All my friends keep telling me that I could practice on them. We'll see how many are interested when I start charging.

tashayoung said:
Too Funny!!!! All my friends keep telling me that I could practice on them. We'll see how many are interested when I start charging.

I think you'll be VERY popular at our cluster meetings! :D

But all kidding aside, I think you should go for what you want to do. I just quit my stressful full-time job to do PC full-time, and I'm working temp jobs while I build up my business. You sound like you've got a plan, I say go for it! It'll be worth it in the long run.

chefmelody said:
I think you'll be VERY popular at our cluster meetings! :D.

I didn't even think about that! Hahahahahaha!

chefmelody said:
But all kidding aside, I think you should go for what you want to do. I just quit my stressful full-time job to do PC full-time, and I'm working temp jobs while I build up my business. You sound like you've got a plan, I say go for it! It'll be worth it in the long run.

That's what I'm thinking...I need to do this now while my daughter is young. Plus the Massage business will be something I'd really like and would keep me busy when I quit my FT job.

Good for you Tasha! I know I struggle all of the time with quitting my FT job to go with PC full time. I know I could double my show schedule but my hurdles are having a huge debt that I continue to whittle down. (It is so slow...damn credit card companies!)
Also, I have health insurance and retirement benefits. I have 18 years into the retirement system and 7 years to go until I am eligible to take early retirement. (and I would be able to have the same good insurance and pay 1/2 price for it)
I have a 16 year old son that lives a short distance away that I pay child support for. He's driving now so until he gets a part time job, his father and I are trying to keep his clunker truck in good repair.
I am hoping that once he gets a little older he that I can sink more money towards that debt.
I can then draw a retirement and work my PC butt off! By the time all of that happens, I hope to be in the Upper Level area.
It is a scarey decision for sure. Just map it all out carefully and go with what your gut tells you (consult your head and your heart too!!)
Will be watching to see what you decide!

tashayoung said:

Make sure once you start charging that your friends understand that it is a business and last minute cancelations really hurt you. I have a friend that has done this and the transition from "free to charge" took a while for some friends to get/understand.

tlennhoff said:
Make sure once you start charging that your friends understand that it is a business and last minute cancelations really hurt you. I have a friend that has done this and the transition from "free to charge" took a while for some friends to get/understand.

Good point! I'll make sure I pound it in their heads. :p

Translating that into the PC business too...I need to start making comments when I book shows that this is my business and that by writing them in my calendar I am committed to them and I hope for the same.

I might have an unpopular answer here. But it's coming from a mom that stayed home with my kids as they were growing up and homeschooled them...and now they're all grown up and you know what? Those days can never be retrieved. I'm so glad that I spent lots of time with them as they were growing.

So the unpopular thought I'm thinking is that our children are only little once. All the rest, it is still there, but that little life, they grow and will soon be gone.

Not trying to discourage you but I'm just saying that if it were me, I'd have to give up something and not try to pursue it all. I know people do it all the time, I surely don't know how though. But that's just me. :)

Kris

Related to Is Pursuing a Massage Therapy Career Worth Sacrificing Time with My Child?

1. Is pursuing a massage therapy career worth sacrificing time with my child?

This is a personal decision that only you can make. Consider the long-term benefits of a massage therapy career, such as a potentially higher income and job satisfaction, and weigh them against the time you may have to spend away from your child during school and work.

2. Should I go to massage school?

If you are serious about becoming a massage therapist, attending a reputable massage school is necessary to gain the necessary skills and knowledge. Do your research to find a school that fits your schedule and budget, and has a good reputation in the industry.

3. How can I balance massage school with my current job and family responsibilities?

Creating a schedule and sticking to it is key to balancing your commitments. Make sure to prioritize your time and set aside dedicated blocks for studying, attending classes, and spending time with your child. It may also be helpful to enlist the support of family and friends to help with childcare or household tasks.

4. What are the potential benefits of pursuing a massage therapy career?

Some potential benefits of a massage therapy career include a flexible schedule, the ability to work in a variety of settings, and the potential for higher earnings. Additionally, many massage therapists find their work to be personally fulfilling and enjoy helping others improve their health and well-being.

5. Is taking on student loans to attend massage school a good idea?

This ultimately depends on your personal financial situation and career goals. Consider the potential return on investment in terms of your future income and job opportunities. You may also want to explore other options for financing your education, such as scholarships or grants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
crystalscookingnow
Replies
Views
speedychef
Replies
Views
heat123