• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is it Difficult to Determine the Right Amount of Food for a Show?

doesn't do anything different at her shows. Anyway, lesson learned - make sure you go over everything with your host before your show.
babywings76
Gold Member
How do you handle knowing how much or how big of a recipe to prepare for a show? When I'm doing a show at 6:30, the host thinks everyone is coming hungry so they want to do 2 recipes or double up on the one. If I steer them into just doing 1 recipe, they want to also offer additional foods. But then I think I need to bring all sorts of extra cutting boards, serving pieces, and stuff so I can at least promote PC stuff, instead of what the host has. That ends up making me bring too much probaby, and then the host is spending more $ on food. The 3cheese Veggie pizza feeds 6 main dish size servings, so if a host says 8 are coming, what do I do? Cutting it into 8 pieces just lets you have a sample, leaving you still hungry. Do guests complain that there wasn't enough?

Wow, I tend to ramble...sorry! :)

Cooking Shows are not catering!!! I do one recipe a show. I suggest that the host have munchies (opposite of the recipe....sweet munchies for a savory demo, etc.) and a drink - water is good. I will bring a few extra SA pieces and the QSP or Carafe if they want me to. However, I don't bring extra products to prep the other food.You also might want to try a 7pm show so people have time to eat dinner before they come. I will tell my hosts exactly that AND that I try to keep the price of the recipe under the $15 PC gives them as a thank you for opening their house and providing the ingredients. That way they come out ahead!

The point is to have a sampling of the food. Do not let your host pressure you into making more than you want to. If they want another PC recipe, offer them the recipe and they can make it ahead of time. Some of my hosts provide other food and others don't. Don't worry about bringing serving trays for all of the host's food, it's too much to deal with.

I've never had anyone complain about the amount of food. I usually cut pizzas and such in the large bar pan into 24 small peices. If it's a small party they can help themselves to as many peices as they want. If it's a larger party they should have enough sense to let everyone try a peice.

I do a 7:00 pm show to help head off the "everyone will be really hungry" complaint. It's late enough that most people get the idea that there won't be a meal. It's also something that you need to address in your host coaching. When asked about additional food, I usually say something along the lines of, "I do appreciate that you want to make sure everyone gets enough to eat. I'd like you to have a successful show, and that includes getting bookings so that you can take advantage of the booking bonus at those shows. But if there's a lot of food then it looks too hard to host, and none of your friends will want to. I recommend having something simple like veggies or chips." Like Kate, I suggest something sweet and simple if I'm demoing a savory recipe - 2-bite brownies or cookies from the grocery store are good suggestions. And I tell my hosts that they don't have to do a lot of work. It's perfectly OK to pick up a veggie tray from the grocery store.

Of course, you will still get the hosts that want to do a "sit down meal" for their guests :(. I do a great job host coaching, make at least three calls and go over everything...had a show yesterday with the MIL from a May show. We did the Ham & Cheese Brunch squares and I had told her that it feeds a ton...she still had a veggie tray (the woman actually peels the celery!), chips, dips, cheese, crackers, a huge bowl of fresh fruit, three types of drinks and then served cake for "dessert!" And she had everyone move to the dining room to eat after we'd finished in the kitchen. When I tried to pass out the catalogs so people could shopwhile they ate, she said, "Oh, let's eat first and then we can move into the living room when we're done." :eek:

I had gone over everything with her on the phone a couple of times and while I was setting up. Plus she had been at her DIL's show a month ago! Her DIL is a friend of mine and says she is "old school" and will just do things how she wants to do them... To top it off, her show is closing at $155.50, and that was after her daughter added three rubs to her order to get the show to qualify! Oh well, like I said, sometimes you can do everything by the book and still get the "interesting" ones...I did get one booking and a possible recruit lead so that's the silver lining! Of course, the booking is with the daughter, who according to my friend, also peels the celery! :D

P.S. No offense to anyone out there who peels their celery, I've just never seen it done before :p

Kathy's_Kitchen said:

P.S. No offense to anyone out there who peels their celery, I've just never seen it done before
:p

TeeHee!

I do this if I am making a veggie tray, or if we are eating it plain at home and I have the extra time!:blushing::blushing:

Blame it on my grandma!

It really does make a difference...then you don't get strings stuck in your teeth!

OP- I stress the same as the above posters. If they are gonna have a BOATLOAD of people (20+) I may offer to bring an extra recipe...or some of our beer bread. Other than that, I am not a caterer...and if they want to go overboard it's on them. I say that they can do as much or as little as they want. Some have a spread (cuz they love to do that) and some open up a bag of pretzels and a 2-liter of pop!

If they insist on more food, it's all up to them.

KellyTheChef said:
TeeHee!

I do this if I am making a veggie tray, or if we are eating it plain at home and I have the extra time!:blushing::blushing:

Blame it on my grandma!

It really does make a difference...then you don't get strings stuck in your teeth!

LOL; I told my friend that it all depends on how your family did it before you :p It really is funny when you think about the things you do just because your mom (or grandma) did them....

Kathy's_Kitchen said:
P.S. No offense to anyone out there who peels their celery, I've just never seen it done before :p

I have never heard of peeling celery.

KellyTheChef said:
TeeHee!

Blame it on my grandma!

I'm going to ea at Kelly's house! I love celery but hate the strings!

pamperedpals said:
I have never heard of peeling celery.

Me neither, silly people!

Related to Is it Difficult to Determine the Right Amount of Food for a Show?

1. How do I know how much food to prepare for a certain number of guests?

When planning for a meal or event, a general rule of thumb is to prepare about 1 pound of food per person. This can vary depending on the type of food, but it's always better to have a little extra than not enough. You can also use online portion calculators or recipe multipliers to help determine the exact amount needed.

2. What is the best way to store leftover food?

To ensure food stays fresh and safe to eat, it's important to store it properly. Leftovers should be cooled to room temperature and then placed in an airtight container or wrapped tightly in foil or plastic wrap. They can then be stored in the refrigerator for 3-4 days or in the freezer for longer storage.

3. How do I prevent food from spoiling or going bad?

The best way to prevent food from spoiling is to store it properly and follow food safety guidelines. This includes keeping cold foods cold and hot foods hot, avoiding cross-contamination, and using food within recommended time frames. It's also important to properly clean and sanitize cooking and storage surfaces.

4. How do I adjust recipes for different serving sizes?

To adjust a recipe for a different number of servings, you can either use a recipe multiplier or divide the ingredients by the original number of servings and then multiply by the desired number. It's also helpful to have measuring cups and spoons on hand to ensure accurate measurements.

5. Can I use kitchen tools to measure food portions?

While kitchen tools like spoons and cups can be used to measure food portions, they may not always be the most accurate. For more precise measurements, it's recommended to use a kitchen scale. This is especially important for baking, where precise measurements can greatly affect the outcome of the final product.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
etteluap70PC
  • esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies