• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have you tried Angel Food Ministries for affordable groceries?

In summary, Angel Food Ministries is a food ministry and hunger relief service that offers monthly deliveries of fresh and frozen food boxes for $25 each. Customers can purchase as many boxes as they want and can also buy special boxes in addition to the regular ones. There are different menus every month and anyone can participate without any qualification process. The quality of the food is reported to be exceptional and many customers have been pleased with their purchases. The program also benefits the host church and local food banks through donations and fundraising. Overall, it is a great option for affordable groceries and a way to give back to the community.
yummybytes
Silver Member
Has anyone ever ordered from this service before? We just placed an order for our first delivery from them through a church I just heard about and really excited about it.

Basically anyone can putchase a box of fresh and frozen food from them. Delivery is once a month. The box of food is $25 and you can buy as many as you want. You get around $50 worth of groceryies in the box. There are different menus each month and if you buy a $25 box, you can also buy their Special boxes. One of this month's for example was 4lbs of Rib Eye Steak for $18.

If you have never heard of them before, I really suggest checking them out and seeing if you have a host church in your area. It's a great idea and from what I am told their quality is exceptional. There is no qualification process, it's open to anyone to participate.

If you have ordered through them have you been pleased? Our stuff comes in on 11/17 so I'll post back how it was :)

Food Ministry and Hunger Relief: Angel Food Ministries

I have ordered 2 out of the last 4 months. I missed one because I was sick and hoping to get in on this one before the deadline. Most of it is off brand items, but it is great to get the items for a better price than the store. I need to feed 5 (two teenage boys), so I really need to order 2 of the basic boxes, but haven't done so yet.

I like it. I like having the food a little cheaper and something else already here to eat. We did not like the turkey roast (and neither did my co-workers) , but we LOVE their chicken. Even my Mom liked it and she is very skeptical. Very moist and tender.

Eating a pizza from them now. yes, as I type. Not the greatest but not bad at all. Of course, I only paid a little for it and not $7 or $8 for a frozen pizza. We did have some Stouffer's panini's and a brand that Kroger's sells Salsbury steak.

Here is the way I look at is this.... if they give me something I don't want, I will donate it to the rest of my family or friends or let them donate it to other patrons picking up their boxes. Not that I have given any food away yet, but I am sure they will have something I won't use.

Overall, my co-workers and I (about 15 families ) have tried and keep buying the boxes, so we like them. If you are really picky on what brands you eat, you might want to skip it, but overall it is a great option for groceries.

Just looked up the December menu. I will have to order the 10 pound chicken tenders for $16.00. My family loves those. They are all white meat and so tender.

The popcorn chicken (not offered in December) is not a favorite of my family but others like them. The popcorn chicken is chunked dark meat, but not process and formed, it is actually chunks of dark meat. I think they are good, but my family prefers white meat.

We did it for several months but decided that even though it was a good "deal" there were things that we just didn't really enjoy eating. Most of the chicken stuff was breaded and we don't really eat that and there were other things that we just didn't really enjoy. We did get some italian sausages that we just cooked last night that were good and I have some chicken fajita meat thawing in the fridge now for sometime this week. I think everyone should definately try it and see if it is stuff their family will enjoy. And like someone said, when you pick your stuff up if there is something you won't use you can always tell the church to keep it and they will donate it at the end of the day.

So when you do this, you get the food at a great bargain... how does the church or others benefit from this?

For every box purchased the church gets $$ from it. Also, for every so many boxes purchased the church gets ones to donate to needy members or local food banks. Most churches also set up boxes that if you get something you don't like or won't eat, you can donate it there and they take it to the local food bank or give it to someone needs. A lot of people just purchase the boxes to give to the foodbanks as well.

I did this once. I really liked it, but just seem to always forget to go and order. I do have a funny story to along with my Angel Food items. I purchased 2 boxes...1 for me and 1 for an elderly lady in our church. When I picked up the boxes, they had substituted greens for something that was suppose to be in the box. We don't like greens, so I put them in the box for our friend because I knew she liked them. Well, later in the week she asked us to come to dinner after church. And naturally, she had cooked those greens. My kids were really eyeballing them and giving me "the look" as well as giggling. I told them to eat the greens and act like they loved them...actually they weren't half bad. Every time I see the angel food ministry flyers I think of that.

They don't have it in Idaho!!!

Shawnna said:
I did this once. I really liked it, but just seem to always forget to go and order. I do have a funny story to along with my Angel Food items. I purchased 2 boxes...1 for me and 1 for an elderly lady in our church. When I picked up the boxes, they had substituted greens for something that was suppose to be in the box. We don't like greens, so I put them in the box for our friend because I knew she liked them. Well, later in the week she asked us to come to dinner after church. And naturally, she had cooked those greens. My kids were really eyeballing them and giving me "the look" as well as giggling. I told them to eat the greens and act like they loved them...actually they weren't half bad. Every time I see the angel food ministry flyers I think of that.

That is a funny story, Shawna!

That's hilarious! :)

cmdtrgd said:
They don't have it in Idaho!!!

Kate -- it looks like they really want to expand. Do you have a church that you go to or do you have a friend or family member that is active in their church? It might be something worthwhile to present to them. :)

Not really, but I'll keep my eyes open. What is needed?

This is off of thier website. There is also an application section here.

HOST SITES

What does it cost my church to sign up to become a host site?

There is a one time $50 application fee which covers all of your training materials. If for some reason your church is not approved you will be refunded this fee. Once you become a host site Angel Food Ministries donates $1 per regular unit to the host churches benevolent fund. Since its inception, Angel Food Ministries has contributed over $12 million into host benevolence funds.

How long after applying until we are able to order?

You must receive a “Start Up Package” from Angel Food Corporate before you can place your first order.

How can our church get direct delivery?

It depends on many things. location, cost etc. Please contact our Logistics Department for more information.

How many volunteers will we need?

You will need about 1 volunteer for every 10 to 12 units.

What are we to do in case we have breakage or shortages?

Angel Food Ministries adds an extra unit which is called a PJ add on to every order of 100 units purchased. The extra unit is to cover any shortages or damaged items that may occur during shipment. There are 17 to 18 items per unit and all items can be used to cover any shortages.

Where does the food come from?

Our food is “restaurant grade” meats, frozen vegetables, fruits, dairy products, etc. which we acquire through our involvement with only the best producers/vendors of high quality, “name brand” foods. Never “seconds” or “day old” type products are involved.​

Well, I missed the November Deadline, but am going to be sure to get in the December one for sure. I am buying the basic box ($25) and the 10 pounds of breaded chicken tenders ($16)

Here is the list for December... Most is off brand, but I usually buy off brand anyway.

December 2007

English Menu
(4) 5 oz. Rib-Eye Steaks
(1) 2 lb. Family Lasagna Dinner
(1) 2 lb. Split Chicken Breast (2 Pieces)
(1) 1 lb. Honey Roasted Pork Sausage
(1) 1 lb. Fully Cooked Chicken Breast Fajitas
(1) 1 lb. Fully Cooked Meatballs
(1) 1 lb. All Meat Jumbo Hot Dogs
(1) 3 lb. Fresh Apples
(1) 8 oz. Biscuit Mix
(1) 1 lb. 3-Way Veggie Mix
(1) 1 lb. Cut Corn
(1) 1 lb. Sliced Carrots
(1) 14 oz. Chicken Broth
(1) 24 oz. Home-style Hash Brown
(1) 6.5 oz. Cheeseburger Dinner
(1) 10 ct. Home-style Waffles
(1) Dessert Item

ALL THIS FOR THE LOW COST OF JUST $25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

** One or more specials available only with the purchase of a regular unit. **
DECEMBER SPECIAL #1
7 lb. Giant Meat Combo Box - $18.00
(2 lb. Thick Cut Pork Chops (6 ct.), 2 lb. Beef Ribs, 1 lb. Rib Eye Steaks (2 x 8 oz.), 1 lb. Lean Beef Patties (4 x 4 oz.), 1 lb. Italian Sausage)

DECEMBER SPECIAL #2
4 lb. Choice Sirloin Box - $18.00
((8) 8-oz. Choice Sirloin Strips)

DECEMBER SPECIAL #3
10 lb. Chicken Tenders Box - $16.00
(10 lb. Breaded Chicken Tenders)

HOLIDAY SPECIAL #4
Holiday Assorted Fruit Box - $24.00
(Each Assorted Box Contains: (5) Ruby Red Grapefruit, (6) Tangerines, (4) Golden Delicious Apples, (4) Blush Pears, (4) Red Delicious Apples, (4) Rome Apples, (6) Florida Oranges, (4) Navel Oranges, (6) Tangelos)

HOLIDAY SPECIAL #5
Holiday Gift (Meat & Cheese Box) - $16.00
(Each Gift Box Contains: (1) 9 oz. Beef Sausage, (1) 9 oz. Beef Salami, (1) 9 oz. Beef Summer Sausage, (3) 7 oz. Cheese (Cheddar, Smokey Cheddar, Pepper Jack))

HOLIDAY SPECIAL #6
Holiday Gourmet Coffee Gift Special - $14.00
(Each Box Contains: (1) 12 oz. House Blend, (1) 12 oz. Hazelnut Cream, (1) 12 oz. Guatemala Antiquate)

===============================

Doesn't that look like a good amount of food for $25 (just the top portion is $25) !

I agree.. and I am an off brand person also. I can't afford to be picky ...

bump...

Anyone else familiar with Angel food Ministries?

How did you like the food? I am still planning on getting the December pack plus the 10 pounds of chicken tenders. My boys will even fix their own chicken tenders, so they really like them.

I've been very pleased with it so far! We were amazed at how much there was in there! The steaks were probably our favorite part.. can't beat the prices!!

This time I think we are getting the same as you are :) We might get two of the main boxes if we have the money for it though.

I thought about getting 2 main boxes but I think I will stick with one and the chicken tenders. I might just buy 2 boxes of tenders and one main box and call it good. I really like their chicken.

I am just now reading this thread...I think a church in my town does this...I have seen it on their reader board. I just assumed (for a while) that they were selling Angel Food cakes for a fund raiser!! LOL

If you all are trying to budget and save $$ on groceries, you may want to look at this thread:

http://www.chefsuccess.com/f18/grocery-game-success-me-29375/

Looking over the list of what's included in the $25 box from AFM, my guess would be that you could save even more with The Grocery Game, and you would be picking out items that you and your family like.

AFM sounds like a great minsitry, though...I am NOT trying to put it down! Whatever works for each of us to keep to our budgets...right?

I have been reading that thread, and I probably could save quite a bit by for some of things. And I have been playing the game for a few weeks, but not quite with the success that you guys have had. I did score a few good things.....

2 boxes of hamburger dinner kits for .50 each
4 deodorants for .34 each
2 dish soaps for .57 each (not the best price, but better than full)
3 12 oz. containers of dried fruit for .24 each
6 1" 3 ring binders for .21 each
3 tubes of toothpaste for .24 each
3 50 load liquid detergents (off brand) for 1.69 each
There is more, but can't remember of the top of my head.

I only have one grocery store near me that I don't shop at often, but am starting to pay attention to it, and I have been checking out CVS for years. I used to get my diapers (my daughters actually !) for an average of $3 a pack for the 2 1/2 years that she was in them.

I like Walgreens but wasn't using them for awhile but am checking them out again, and the best part is I get 15% of everything, even sale prices (family employee discount !), so that really helps keep the prices down, especially when you play the game.

I do love Angel Food ministries chicken tenders and don't know if I could 10 pounds cheaper than $16, probably could sometime in the future, but for now, I am getting them. Some of their things could be bought for a lot cheaper doing the game, and when I get better at the game or am stocked up, I may only buy from them occasionally. Luckily for me, I know enough people that buy the main box and would let me add on the special boxes I could just buy it.

1. What is Angel Food Ministries?

Angel Food Ministries is a non-profit organization that provides affordable food options to families in need. They offer a variety of food boxes at discounted prices, including fresh produce, meats, and pantry staples.

2. How does Angel Food Ministries work?

Angel Food Ministries partners with local churches and organizations to distribute food boxes to their communities. Customers can place orders for food boxes online or through participating host sites. The boxes are then delivered to the host site for pickup on a designated date.

3. Who is eligible to purchase from Angel Food Ministries?

Anyone can purchase from Angel Food Ministries, regardless of income or background. There are no applications or qualifications required. The organization's goal is to provide affordable food options to everyone.

4. Are the food boxes customizable?

No, the food boxes are not customizable. However, Angel Food Ministries offers a variety of options to choose from, including different types of meat and produce boxes, as well as specialty boxes for holidays or special occasions.

5. Can I volunteer with Angel Food Ministries?

Yes, Angel Food Ministries welcomes volunteers to help with various tasks, such as packing boxes or distributing them at host sites. Interested individuals can reach out to their local host site or contact the organization directly for more information.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
Replies
Views
LoriLions
  • emiscookin
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
caraighan