• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Discover Angel Food Ministry: Affordable Food Options for Allergies and Budgets

In summary, Angel Food Ministries provides a way for people to buy pre-arranged sets of food at a discounted price, with many locations in the ABQ area. The quality of the food varies, but can be helpful for those who are tight on money.
nikked
Gold Member
I know this had been posted about before, but I'm rediscovering it, and was excited to see they have more options, including an "Allergen Free Box" for those peanut, gluten and other allergies. So, here's the email I sent out to my buddies in ABQ, and wanted to share it here as well!

There is an organization called Angel Food Ministries (Welcome - Angel Food Ministries) that I had stumbled across about a year ago, but had kind of forgotten about. Basically, it's a program designed to supplement your grocery budget. It's not based on income. I guess it's almost like a food co-op. You buy a pre-arranged set amount of food at a steeply discounted price. Meat, fresh produce, canned goods. Varies from month to month.

Who couldn't use a little help each month, right!? There are several host church locationsin the ABQ area, including one in Rio Rancho. The food is good quality (although usually generic), the meats are great, and can't be beat.

Hope you're able to use this ministry. Pass this on to anyone you think could use it...it's a nationwide program, so don't limit to where you live!

It's really neat that you mention this. I was just introduced to this on Sunday, at church. Some ladies were talking about due to the fact that there are a LOT of elderly on fixed incomes and with the price of groceries these days makes it harder for them to even have the basics. I think it's a wonderful idea. My wallet says thanks!

We used Angel Food once and we thought the food was pretty disgusting. I can do way better at the grocery store.

Our Church used to do Angel Food, but we are limited in our resources, and switched to doing a food pantry only. There are others in our area though.

If you are tight on money for groceries, it can be a big help, but the quality does vary. The more convenience type meat products weren't always great, but if you added on a "meat box", the meat in those was usually pretty good.

Anyway, for alot of people it is alt least worth a try!

AnnieBee said:
Our Church used to do Angel Food, but we are limited in our resources, and switched to doing a food pantry only. There are others in our area though.

If you are tight on money for groceries, it can be a big help, but the quality does vary. The more convenience type meat products weren't always great, but if you added on a "meat box", the meat in those was usually pretty good.

Anyway, for alot of people it is alt least worth a try!

The meat box was the worst part for us! EWWWW!!! They inject all the steaks with some sort of preservative and they were just nasty.

Yikes. Didn't think THIS topic would be contentious! For those of you who haven't tried Angel Food, like someone said earlier, it is worth a try. We're a pretty picky family, and find it a nice supplement to our grocercies. If you didn't enjoy what you received, I'm sorry about that.

I will say that the menu being offered for March 2009 seems much nicer than it was year ago, so maybe some things have changed...

I think, regardless of the quality, some people will settle for less in taste as long as they are still eating. Some families have to resort to this kind of help. I'm very thankful there are organizations out there like Angel Food and local food banks. Too bad, some of the restaurants or grocery store deli's (around here) won't discount the food they don't sell at the end of the day. That would be also help out alot of families struggling with feeding their kids or even themselves.

cookingwith_tara said:
I think, regardless of the quality, some people will settle for less in taste as long as they are still eating. Some families have to resort to this kind of help. I'm very thankful there are organizations out there like Angel Food and local food banks. Too bad, some of the restaurants or grocery store deli's (around here) won't discount the food they don't sell at the end of the day. That would be also help out alot of families struggling with feeding their kids or even themselves.

I know in MI, there are all kinds of state health regulations that don't allow restaurants, deli's, etc...to discount or give away much of the leftover food. It's so sad to think of all of that food being wasted, but don't blame the seller - blame the state!

I can remember growing up my mom would go to Publix on Saturdays and pick up free breads and rolls and sometimes muffins left over from the week. It was free and a big help to us especially with 6 kids to feed.

Once I was at Wal-mart and it was right about the time the deli was closing. I saw them throwing a TON of food into the trash can. I asked them couldn't they discount it and sell it and at least they would make SOME money from it and they said they weren't allowed. It was very disheartening to me to see all that food going to waste so out of impulse we purchased the rest of the chicken and turkey legs and some other things. We ended up taking it to some of the families in our church the next day. I guess coming from a large family and knowing and FEELING the strains of having and surviving on very little makes my heart a little sensitive when it comes to feeding the hungry and the issue of wastefulness.

We use Angel Food, and have had really pretty good luck with the food that we have gotten. It REALLY helped us through hard times last year.

Hillbilly Housewife (although the site is not as clean and easy to navigate as it used to be) has up a whole section that is recipes using the Angel Food Ministry boxes of food:
http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/angelfood/

cookingwith_tara said:
I can remember growing up my mom would go to Publix on Saturdays and pick up free breads and rolls and sometimes muffins left over from the week. It was free and a big help to us especially with 6 kids to feed.

Once I was at Wal-mart and it was right about the time the deli was closing. I saw them throwing a TON of food into the trash can. I asked them couldn't they discount it and sell it and at least they would make SOME money from it and they said they weren't allowed. It was very disheartening to me to see all that food going to waste so out of impulse we purchased the rest of the chicken and turkey legs and some other things. We ended up taking it to some of the families in our church the next day. I guess coming from a large family and knowing and FEELING the strains of having and surviving on very little makes my heart a little sensitive when it comes to feeding the hungry and the issue of wastefulness.

Oh - I totally agree, Tara! I think it is very wasteful, and a tragedy that the food that is tossed by Restaurants and Delis, etc... cannot be used for good.

I just know that many restauranteers also feel the same way. They don't WANT to throw that food away, but the State doesn't give them any choice.

Another reason they no longer give away the food is due to liability. These companies are afraid of being sued if someone got sick eating one of there products. It is so sad that a lot of people are out for a quick million these days.

ChefBeckyD said:
Oh - I totally agree, Tara! I think it is very wasteful, and a tragedy that the food that is tossed by Restaurants and Delis, etc... cannot be used for good.

I just know that many restauranteers also feel the same way. They don't WANT to throw that food away, but the State doesn't give them any choice.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. It's not the owner of the company that decides what happens to it, it's the state.

I also see the point of liability. And those just waiting to make money off of something like this.

We have a food pantry in a neighboring town and in order to get food from them you have to be referred by a representing organization like a church or social services. They give you about 2 weeks worth of staples but they can only serve you every other month. There are so many right now in need AND they don't have enough food to keep you until the next month. I am one of the representers for our Lutheran Food Bank services in Jacksonville (a bigger neighboring city) and most of the time our bill is only about $150 for around $1,000 of food (staples, breads, toiletries, and sometimes meat). BUT even they are low on food.

It just breaks my heart. I am very thankful, though, for these services and I try to do whatever I can to help. INCLUDING sharing the $2 per serving at my shows. I really talk about rounding up ALOT.

The AJC (Atlanta Journal Constitution) has been reporting about issues with Angel Food : http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2009/03/03/angel_food_sex_suit.html?cxntlid=homepage_tab_newstab

there are several links to related stories in that article too. Stuff like that makes me wary of them.

A cluster mate recommended http://www.greatfoodforall.com/%2ffiles%2fDownloads%2fMAR09Menu.pdfI have to say that Angel Food's menu, for the most part, is looking better than Great Food's lately.A church I've been visiting is going to be a host site for Angel Food. They see it as a way to reach out to the community.

1. What is Angel Food Ministry?

Angel Food Ministry is a non-profit organization that provides affordable food to families and individuals in need. They work with local churches and organizations to distribute food boxes at a discounted price.

2. How does Angel Food Ministry work?

Angel Food Ministry partners with local churches and organizations to host monthly food distributions. Customers can pre-order food boxes at a discounted price, which typically includes a variety of meats, fruits, and vegetables. The food is then distributed on a designated pick-up day.

3. How much does it cost to participate in Angel Food Ministry?

The cost of food boxes varies depending on the location, but on average, a box of food from Angel Food Ministry costs around $30. This price includes a variety of items, making it a very affordable option for families and individuals in need.

4. Can anyone participate in Angel Food Ministry?

Yes, anyone can participate in Angel Food Ministry. The organization does not have any specific income requirements or restrictions. Their goal is to provide affordable food for all individuals and families in need.

5. How can I get involved with Angel Food Ministry?

If you are interested in getting involved with Angel Food Ministry, the best way is to reach out to your local participating church or organization. They may have volunteer opportunities or ways to donate to support the program. You can also visit the Angel Food Ministry website to find a location near you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
genburk
Replies
Views
Christ Follower
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
PamperedK