• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is American Idol Really Worth Watching? Share Your Thoughts Here!

In summary, Diane and Kate both think that American Idol should be renamed American Idle. They both agree that it is hard to watch the show because they are opera singers and they get angry over people who are just bad at the competition. They both also like the show "So You Think You Can Dance" and Benji from the recent winner of that show was a charming person. Kate also likes the show "Survivor" and "Dancing with the Stars".
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
If you're one of the millions (like me) who thinks American Idol should be called American Idle and is a waste of broadcast airspace, feel free to post here in my parody thread.

And the rants begin in 5...4...3...2...1

LOL, I don't have cable any more, got WAY too expensive, but when we did we didn't watch.

Psssst! You don't need cable to watch it...unless you're so far out in the boonies that even Fox can't find you.

I get embarrassed for the people who NEED to be embarrassed!!!!

ByeSorry - won't be reading any more of this thread;) . The whole family watched it tonight, and afterwards, my kids played American Idol. They were the judges and my husband and I sang (neither of us made it to Hollywood).

I have to admit that I mostly like watching the first few weeks, when all the uhhh, interesting, auditions are shown. I'm hooked on the whole season, though!

Bye!

Diane

Last edited:
It's not that bad...

It is hard for me to watch these people because I am a classically trained opera singer. Now, I'm not tooting my own horn (or voice), but I have a hard time listening to people when they are tone deaf. I admire them for having the guts to get up there, but sometimes someone needs to let them know they need to get training or they will ruin their voice! And then there's the people who have been told by everyone they know that they are better than the pop stars out there...and they're not. Sorry, but that's the way I feel.

Right there with ya KG, never have watched it except maybe the highlights of the really bad audtions in the beginning of the season. Those crack me up!

Bye, Diane! Nice knownin' ya. ;)

Kate, I knew there was something about you I liked but I don't imagine there are many gigs in Boise.

I have dreams about
ReneeFleming4b.jpg

singing to me.

Sigh.

No, not many gigs here. However, I do get asked to do things instead of having to audition for them! And, unfortunately, that is not my headshot!

I love that CD...and the Toll Bros. (it just isn't right to not be Texaco anymore!) broadcast is on every Saturday afternoon.

Man I am watching AI right now. I LOVE the auditions part of the show. THAT is ENTERTAINMENT! :D Sorry, I get a good laugh at those people though. lol.

It's fine if you like it. This thread is just for people who don't understand why anyone would make an ass of themselves for a chance to be on television. I was on television once.My mother made me get down before I fell and hurt myself.

Well. I still don't know what would make them go on there and make an ass of themselves, BUT it is FUNNY when they do. lol. You know most of it is thier families feeding them a whole bunch of bull crap! lol

That's what families do. ;)

Hey KG - I think your thread title says (well partially) it all...

"WHO CARES!!" Yikes...

No one starts parody threads around here...and sometimes they cry out to be started so I just thought I'd start this one!

cmdtrgd said:
I get embarrassed for the people who NEED to be embarrassed!!!!

OMG! I'm the same way!

I don't listen to pop radio, just classical. So I have little to no interest in the songs or singers. And, also like Kate, I've got classical voice training (B.Mus. in education), so the bad ones just make the hair on my neck stand up. The really horrific ones I can ignore. But I get so mad over those who are merely bad, but think they're all that and a bag of chips because of some well-meaning friend or family member.

But I do have to 'fess up to watching the entire season of "So You Think You Can Dance" this past summer. Benji (the winner) was such a charmer - and so cute!

I love this show! The people who go on who obviously have NO talent get on my nerves, but once the real talent is weeded out and the real contest begins, I'm right there!

BTW, I'm also a huge Survivor fan. I used to like the Apprentice, and I do like Dancing with the Stars (wish I could dance like that). Oh, and the Amazing Race is fun too.

I never watch American Idle and have no desire to. The shows that I REALLY think are a waste of time are all those "reality" shows. I don't get the attraction (one year we had to have survivor on while we opened gifts because of dil's addiction). When I watch TV it's for the distraction.

I LOVE Greys Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, House, ER..

I have to admit it's one of my guilty pleasures....it's just something fun to watch as a family. My 7 yr old keeps asking how old you have to be to go on there......it's too funny; some of those people just don't have a clue!

chefann said:
But I do have to 'fess up to watching the entire season of "So You Think You Can Dance" this past summer. Benji (the winner) was such a charmer - and so cute!

I second that about Benji. He was kind of dorky, (not that there's anything wrong with that; I'm married to one) but when he would dance, he was sexy-hot! I got my mother hooked to the show because of him. :)

Last season was my first season watching, and I was hooked!! However, after it was over I had this horrible feeling of guilt for wasting so much of my life watching it. There were so many other things I could have been doing then watching that show. I mean, they let the bad one through on purpose just for entertainment.

Last night I occasionally popped my head in the living room to see who the horrible voice was coming from (husband and kids were watching it), but for the most part I stayed away. I spent an evening on the phone making calls, hanging out with my 5 year old and doing dishes (well, not real thrilled about that last one, but it had to be done!). I was proud of myself for resisting. I refuse, however, to give up Grey's Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, House and 24.

I applaud you for making calls - although, you might not be doing yourself a favor by calling during AI in case your customers are hooked. For example, around here, you wouldn't want to make calls on Sunday afternoons in the Fall when the Packers are playing. I imagine that is also true in the other 31 NFL markets but it's especially around here.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I applaud you for making calls - although, you might not be doing yourself a favor by calling during AI in case your customers are hooked. For example, around here, you wouldn't want to make calls on Sunday afternoons in the Fall when the Packers are playing. I imagine that is also true in the other 31 NFL markets but it's especially around here.

You know, I actually thought of that, so I called during commercials. I could hear the TV in the other room so I would know when a commercial was on.

I watch Nashville Star on USA not AI. I keep saying I am going to watch AI but never do even with so many winners being from Birmingham.

BethCooks4U said:
I never watch American Idle and have no desire to. The shows that I REALLY think are a waste of time are all those "reality" shows. I don't get the attraction (one year we had to have survivor on while we opened gifts because of dil's addiction). When I watch TV it's for the distraction.

I LOVE Greys Anatomy, Desperate Housewives, House, ER..

I WAS going to say that I don't care for Reality Shows either, but then I remembered Dancin With The Stars....and I LOVE that! Is that considered a reality show??
Anyway Beth, I LOVE LOVE LOVE House! It's one of my favorite shows, along with Lost......hmmmm, maybe I only like shows with one word titles?

mmm.... House. Love it! Is it just me, or do any of you other ladies find Hugh Laurie quite the hot number? And if you have a chance, get the "Wooster and Jeeves" miniseries from the late 80's/early 90's. It was produced by the BBC and A&E. He played Wooster - no facial hair to obstruct the view of that face!

House is definitely hot in that bad boy, sexy kind of way. His attitude just tops it off!

But in the HOT department, I'm still hooked on Keifer Sutherland. Ever since The Lost Boys, I've had the hots for him! And did anyone else have any Lost Boys flashbacks while watching the season premeire of 24 the other night?

I love House too! I saw Hugh Laurie on Inside the Actor's Studio, and (even though I know he's English) the accent still throws me off. He was very funny.

Last edited:
PamperedChefDebi said:
House is definitely hot in that bad boy, sexy kind of way. His attitude just tops it off!

But in the HOT department, I'm still hooked on Keifer Sutherland. Ever since The Lost Boys, I've had the hots for him! And did anyone else have any Lost Boys flashbacks while watching the season premeire of 24 the other night?

You know, I never really thought twice about Keifer until I got hooked recently on 24. He is hot!!! For some reason I had always thought that he was like way older than me, but my husband was telling me the other day that Keifer is only a year older than him!!

For inquiring minds who want to know, Kiefer is 40. He'll be 41 in December (I googled him as I was fairly sure he was my age, not 30-something)

Hugh Laurie IS hot (the first time I heard him speak off House, I was very surprised).

Last but not least. I don't watch American Idol. I think it's cruel to laugh at people who are singing their hearts out. . .I don't believe they are all plants.

I have never watched AI but I do like to see what FOX news has to say about it. I just started watching House a few weeks ago and LOVE IT!!! I was sad last week when they said that it won't be on for 3 WEEKS!!! My husband watchs 24 I have never seen it.

I've always had a thing for "bad Boys" - I think that's why I love House so much. And Hugh Laurie just won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a TV Drama series...it was so strange listening to him give his acceptance speech w/ a British Accent!

ChefBeckyD said:
I've always had a thing for "bad Boys" - I think that's why I love House so much. And Hugh Laurie just won the Golden Globe for Best Actor in a TV Drama series...it was so strange listening to him give his acceptance speech w/ a British Accent!
Did you hear the comment that he "won even against that Dr. Mc Dreamy"? I think Hugh has to ACT more in his role and that he deserved to win. McDreamy just has to look dreamy...

I love the different directions a parody thread can take.

I have only watched AI a few times. I just can't get into the people who think and say that they are good and the really aren't. I think some of them act the way they do so we will remember them more. I think as they they get to the final three or so I will watch it more.

I just love this show. I have watched all 6 seasons. Now I can do my PC right during those hours and watch..HEHE. How coincidental..LOL

Hugh Laurie is a very talented man. He is a concert pianist, an author, an actor, an archetect and a master chef (I watched his biography on the biography chanel). He was also the Dad in the Stuart Little films. I'm not sure if Hot is quite the word for him...sexy, yes. :p

I'm still amazed at how many people don't see the spelling of "idle" in this thread.Hehehehehehehe!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm still amazed at how many people don't see the spelling of "idle" in this thread.

Hehehehehehehe!

You gave it away in your first post!!;)

Diane

Hey! What are you doing here?!? You said good bye in your first post!

thechefofnorthbend said:
Hugh Laurie is a very talented man. He is a concert pianist, an author, an actor, an archetect and a master chef (I watched his biography on the biography chanel). He was also the Dad in the Stuart Little films. I'm not sure if Hot is quite the word for him...sexy, yes. :p

What...! OMG - do you know how many times I have mindlessly sat thru the SL movies (my DS is crazy for them) and never made that connection?!!!:eek: He IS talanted, because I would have never thought that SL's dad was House!!!

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Hey! What are you doing here?!? You said good bye in your first post!

Yeah, after I typed in my last post I knew you'd catch me. OK, I give up - I'm spying;) . I just can't pass up the fun posts you write - it was killing me not to check in:D .

Diane

UH oh KG, I think you have an internet stalker on your hands, lmao.

Guess what? He only lives a town over. Keep your curtains closed, KG!

Diane

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I'm still amazed at how many people don't see the spelling of "idle" in this thread.

Hehehehehehehe!
I think "idle" is the more appropriate spelling - lol :rolleyes:

dianevill said:
Guess what? He only lives a town over. Keep your curtains closed, KG!

Diane
No, I don't. YOU live one town over.

Time to bump this parody for Idle fans.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• colegrovet
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
sk8rgrrl99
Replies
Views
cmdtrgd