• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

February 3, 1959, the Day the Music Died

In summary, the conversation discusses the tragic death of Buddy Holly and other musicians in a plane crash on February 3, 1959. The tour they were on, called "The Winter Dance Party," was plagued with problems from the beginning and the ill-fated trip resulted in the death of all three musicians and the pilot. The conversation also mentions the impact of Holly's death on his widow and the memorial concerts and memorials that have been created in remembrance of the musicians. Additionally, the conversation touches on the song "Three Stars" and the popular culture reference to "The Day the Music Died."
The_Kitchen_Guy
Silver Member
I wrote this a little while ago and posted it in the daily update, a thread that I think most of you don't see. It seems to be a subject of great interest to all fans of popular music, so I thought I'd post a version of it here.

In the early hours of February 3, 1959, after finishing a concert at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa, Buddy Holly, J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Richie Valens (short for Valenzuela) climbed aboard a Beechcraft Bonanza, bound for Fargo, North Dakota. The plane did not get more than six miles from Clear Lake when it crashed into a corn field, killing all three musicians and Don Peterson, the pilot of the aircraft.

492_1024704990_zpse1c972bd.jpg

Buddy Holly (1936-1959)

The ill-fated trip that resulted in the Day the Music died was all problems from the beginning.

First of all, Buddy Holly had terminated his association with The Crickets, as well as with Norman Petty, his manager, during a reunion in Lubbock, Texas the previous November.

This tour was supposed to be called "The Winter Dance Party" tour, so Holly assembled a band consisting of Waylon Jennings (bass), Tommy Allsup (guitar), and Carl Bunch (drums). The tour was booked into 24 different citiy venues in 24 days, an ambitious scheduled even if the weather is good. Ritchie Valens, who was a new hit on the pop charts, J. P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson and Dion DiMucci (of Dion and the Belmonts) joined the tour to promote their recordings.

The tour began in Milwaukee on January 23, 1959. The logistics of travel during the tour was not well planned. The distance between venues, difficult to travel in 1959 during good weather, had not been considered when scheduling the tour.

On top of it all, the bus was not equipped for the weather and the heater failed shortly after the tour started. Flu ran through the group, almost everyone subbed on the drums during the first concerts.

Holly's widow, María Elena, learned of his death from first reports on television. A widow after six months of marriage and newly pregnant, miscarried the next day, presumably from the stress. From that time forward, authorities contact first of kin before releasing details to the news media. Maria Elena did not attend the funeral and has never visited Holly's grave, blaming herself for his death. It was the first time she had not traveled with him, and says that had she been on the tour, Holly would never have gotten into the airplane.

Waylon Jennings gave up his seat on the flight to Richardson, a decision that haunted him the rest of his life.

Buddy Holly is buried in Lubbock, Texas, his headstone bears the correct spelling of his name, Holley, and features the outline of his signature Fender Stratocaster. Buddy Holley at Find-A-Grave.

Ken Paquette, a contemporary fan and resident of Green Bay, Wisconsin, built a memorial to the Day the Music Died, near the crash site. The memorial is for the three musicians and later, Paquette placed another memorial to Don Peterson, the pilot who also perished in the crash. The entry to the roadway that leads to the crash site features a large set of horn-rimmed glasses, Holly's trademark eyewear.

290px-HollyMonument.jpg

The song, Three Stars was written by and recorded by Tommy Dee with Carol Kay in April, 1959 and sold over 1 million copies. Eddie Cochran recorded a cover of the song in 1959 and died in a car crash shortly thereafter, his version was not released until 1972.

In 1971, Don McLean released American Pie that also commemorates the day. Popular culture has forgotten the correct title of the song and refers to it as "The Day the Music Died."

Since 1979, a memorial concert has been held in Clear Lake, Iowa on February 2 at the Surf Ballroom to commemorate Buddy Holly, J.P. Richardson and Richie Valens final concert.

220px-GlassesSign.jpg

I remember the news when they found his glasses in the post office of either Clear Lake or Mason City. I don't remember if it was 1979 or a few years later. It was sometime between 1979 and 1983. My family was living in Britt, Iowa at the time. We moved away in 1983. It was in the headlines of the Mason City Globe Gazette for about a week. I remember because I had a paper route at the time.

I couldn't help but think of Buddy Holly and the gang last April. My in-laws for Christmas had gotten us tickets for Kenny Loggins who was playing in Kohler, Wisconsin. Kenny was scheduled to play the Surf Ballroom on Friday and Kohler on Saturday. I prayed that his plane did not pull a Buddy Holly.

Thanks, KG for the research. The glasses were found at the Cerro Gordo county sherriff's office, not the post office in March of 1980. In my mind I must have attributed it with all those stories of lost mail.

You can tell just how interested these two Packers fans are in the Superbowl.

Is there a game on TV right now? I had no idea.

I should be rooting for the kid from Milwaukee, but I'm not. What's worse, the coachs' parents live in Mequon. But the Packers aren't there, so who cares?

Apparently it wasn't much of a game until after the power outage! (Didn't watch it either - Downton Abbey was much better!)

I'm going to bump this old thread in honor of the historical significance of today's history.

1. What happened on February 3, 1959, the Day the Music Died?

On February 3, 1959, a plane crash near Clear Lake, Iowa claimed the lives of three influential musicians: Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. This event became known as "The Day the Music Died" thanks to Don McLean's hit song "American Pie."

2. Who were the musicians that died on February 3, 1959?

The three musicians who died in the plane crash were Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson. They were all rising stars in the music industry and their deaths were a huge loss for the music world.

3. What caused the plane crash on February 3, 1959?

The plane crash was caused by a combination of poor weather conditions, pilot error, and mechanical issues. The pilot, Roger Peterson, was not qualified to fly in poor weather conditions and became disoriented in the foggy conditions. The plane also did not have the proper equipment to fly in those conditions.

4. How did the death of these musicians impact the music industry?

The deaths of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson had a significant impact on the music industry. They were all young, talented artists with promising careers ahead of them. Their deaths not only left a void in the industry but also sparked a conversation about the safety of musicians on the road.

5. How is the legacy of Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens, and J.P. "The Big Bopper" Richardson remembered today?

The legacy of these musicians is remembered through their music, which continues to inspire and influence artists today. They are also commemorated through various tributes and memorials, such as the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa where they last performed. "The Day the Music Died" is also a phrase that has become synonymous with this tragic event and is still recognized by many music fans today.

Back