• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Iowa State Fair Adventures: Rain, Heat, and a Successful Cooking Demo

In summary, Sandy did a cooking demo at the state fair and it was a huge success. She made a Colossal Chopped Salad and had people from the audience help her. She has also gotten orders for cooking shows and is looking forward to doing more next year.
MomToEli
Well, just thought I'd give you all an update on my Fair adventures. It seems it is always hot or raining at the State Fair, and this year has been a little bit of rain and a whole lot of hot!

First, my director figured out that I could not do the demo on Monday as two of us were to be in the booth at all times (except bathroom and drink breaks). That was SUCH a blessing! The building that demo was supposed to happen in is not air conditioned! :eek: Instead, I stayed very busy for 4 hours in our booth in the air conditioning :D

My first cooking show was on Saturday. I was told it was at 11am, but instead was a 1pm. Thankfully I had refrigerated all of my ingredients, so they stayed fresh. I made the Colossal Chopped Salad. There were around 85 people there. You know, that salad makes enough to serve 72 samples (in 3 oz Dixie Cups) and STILL leaves enough to feed my family of 3 dinner later that day? It was a HUGE hit. The demo was awesome. I had someone from the audience come up and be my assistant. I was never even nervous. It was great! :D

So far I've had one $89 (commissionable) order placed, and have LOTS of follow up contacts to make. I will be doing some of those tomorrow afternoon and Thursday night. I have one more cooking demo on Friday. I can't decide what to make. I've thought about a Trifle, but trying to figure out what would be easy to serve up in my Dixie Cups. And, wondering if there is anything I could make that would be enough food. Of course, when you are out, you are out, but I really did like having enough for all who wanted some. Cool food definately hits the spot in the heat. Friday temps are supposed to be really nice - around 83 and much less humid. Let's hope the weatherman knows what he is talking about ...

I told my director that I will do as many of those theather cooking shows as she can sign me up for next year. They are so much fun!

That's great, Sandy! I'm so happy it went well for you!

[Percy Kilbride voice]
Our state fair is a great state fair,
Don't miss it, don't even be late.
It's dollars to donuts
That our state fair
Is the best state fair in our state.
[/Percy Kilbride voice]

Related to Iowa State Fair Adventures: Rain, Heat, and a Successful Cooking Demo

What are the dates and hours of the Iowa State Fair?

The 2021 Iowa State Fair will take place from August 12th to August 22nd. The fair is open from 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM daily.

Where is the Iowa State Fair located?

The Iowa State Fairgrounds is located at 3000 E Grand Ave, Des Moines, IA 50317.

What is the admission price for the Iowa State Fair?

General admission tickets for adults (ages 12+) are $14, children (ages 6-11) are $8, and children 5 and under are free. Special discounts and promotions are available for seniors, veterans, and certain days of the fair.

Are there any special events or concerts at the Iowa State Fair?

Yes, there are daily concerts and events at the Iowa State Fair. Some events require an additional ticket purchase, while others are included in the general admission price. Check the fair's website for a full schedule of events.

What food options are available at the Iowa State Fair?

The Iowa State Fair is known for its wide variety of food options. From classic fair foods like corn dogs and funnel cakes to unique and creative dishes, there is something for everyone. There are also food vendors that cater to dietary restrictions, such as gluten-free and vegetarian options.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
christinaspc
  • gilliandanielle
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
lizcooks4u
Replies
Views
wcsis