• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

ifI Get 1 More Political Call...

In summary, the conversation revolves around the annoyance and frustration of receiving multiple political candidate calls and ads. The participants discuss the negative effects of campaigning and the involvement of actors in politics. They also touch upon the importance of Jessica's Law in protecting children from predators.
yummy4tummy
I don't know about any of you but I have been BOMBARDED with political candidate calls! Thursday morning was the day from well, you know where. I got 5 calls within an hour (automated) GRRR! I am so fed up that I am almost ready to pull my phone out of the wall and throw the TV out with it. You would think that the DNC registry would apply to these people too! Caller ID doesn't help much either as the calls are from local numbers. I could screen my calls through the answering machine but it would just be my luck that someone was calling to place an obsurdly large order (wishful thinking) and hang up once they got my message machine. LOL!

Vent over, returning to normal breathing.:rolleyes:

Me too:eek: :eek: :eek:

I hate getting those call asking to vote for them

How would they like it if I would call them three or four times a day and ask them to have a show with me.:p :p

Wonder how we can stop that before the next election;)

Between the calls and all the VERY positive and uplifting political ads on TV, I'm really looking forward to November 8th.

Same here Jeanine! (we are probably getting alot of the same calls and ads! - my husband counted 6 potlitical ads in a row last night - and each one more positive and uplifting than the previous!)

I just saw an item on the morning news that a certain Michigan gubernatorial candidate (not the incumbent) has had more TV ad time than all other candidates nation-wide.

It's pretty sad when I'm longing for some bizarre Skittles commercial, instead of the pols.

And I guess we're lucky. Haven't had one single political call. But then, our number is not in the phone book and we don't use it online when we register for sites.

I have been bombarded as well! The latest one was a recorded message from Robert DeNeiro!! LOL. I think actors should stay out of politics and stick to what they know - ACTING!! LOL.
Drives me nuts!!

I've not yet had any calls, but I just wanted to say that I absolutely hate all the negative campaigning! I have not seen one regular old ad for a candidate. I think it should be illegal to campaign against your opponents.

Sorry, just complaining! :)

We sign up for the NO CALL list and the call I really don't want to get are political. I also agree the actors should stay out of it. I can't believe people listen to these guys - So many are such fine examples with thier addicitive personalites, 24 hour marriages etc.

I will say that I informed on one call we got though - I wasn't aware for Jessica's law. They are trying to get this on the ballot to be passed in Texas. I will give you the website link for more info because the info was upsetting but in Jessia's memory they are tring to pass MUCH stricter laws against child predators. I hope this become something national just like the Amber alert. We have to save out children.

Click on the petition page and explains what happened to Jessica and about the law - If you live it Texas feel free to sign the petition.

http://www.dewhurst.org

No political calls here, just the stupid Fraternal Order of Police wanting money. I am always nice when they call, but I wanted to tel them to stuff it and tell them we just "donated" $145 to a totally stupid ticket they gave my husband.

supergirljennie said:
but I just wanted to say that I absolutely hate all the negative campaigning!

I just hate it too!!

I don't think it is a good idea to show our kids that it is okay to say bad things about other people to get what you want.

I was taught that if you can't say something nice don't say nothing at all.

If these politicians talk bad about their opponents then how do we know if they are good people that will do what they say.

Just me opinion, don't know much about politics

Jessica's Law
Kathytnt said:
I will say that I informed on one call we got though - I wasn't aware for Jessica's law. They are trying to get this on the ballot to be passed in Texas. I will give you the website link for more info because the info was upsetting but in Jessia's memory they are tring to pass MUCH stricter laws against child predators. I hope this become something national just like the Amber alert. We have to save out children.

Click on the petition page and explains what happened to Jessica and about the law - If you live it Texas feel free to sign the petition.

http://www.dewhurst.org

I agree. I think our judges are too soft on sex offenders. Every state should be enacting Jessica's Law IMHO. Bill O'Reilly has info on his website re: states that are enacting a version of Jessica's Law.

I can't stand political season. And let me tell you, from a broadcasting stand point we hate them! The only ones who beenfit from them are in sales. I have 20 different candidiates running the HUGE schedules (2 or 3 times in an hour) and I some how have to keep them from running in the same commercial break back to back. Its a nightmare.

SusanBP0129 said:
I have been bombarded as well! The latest one was a recorded message from Robert DeNeiro!! LOL. I think actors should stay out of politics and stick to what they know - ACTING!! LOL.
Drives me nuts!!
What do you think a politician actually is? They all act like they give a rip about you and your concerns.

Why do they run negative ads? Because they work. The sad part of it all are the people who go and vote with no idea of what the issues are and vote based on those 30 second spots.

Sickening, isnt' it? We're saddled with the best governor money can buy. Between him and the PACs that own him, we are being bombarded with spots telling us how awful his opponent is.

The smear machine here has been ratcheted up to a new level. I don't really mind when a negative ad points out something stupid (or corrupt or illegal) that a candidate or incumbant has done but the out-and-out lies being told about candidates here really turn my stomach.

AJPratt said:
I can't stand political season. And let me tell you, from a broadcasting stand point we hate them! The only ones who beenfit from them are in sales. I have 20 different candidiates running the HUGE schedules (2 or 3 times in an hour) and I some how have to keep them from running in the same commercial break back to back. Its a nightmare.

I think I've seen a couple of commercial breaks recently that were NOTHING but political ads. YUK!!! It was a good 3 minutes to go to the bathroom and get a snack (the snack was in the kitchen, LOL, I just made one trip up from the couch).

It's kind of funny when ads from the rivals air back-to-back and both discuss the same "issue". That's in quotes because the ads rarely provide any info on real issues, just twisted and misrepresented semi-facts that the candidates hope will make the public think their way.

I agree ! I will be so glad when this election is over! Our county electins have gotten pretty dirty and I hate it when they get dirty!

we have been getting lots af calls also and the mail box is always full of candidate ads
My husband actually mentioned last night about putting negative ads on the tv why cant they say what they are doing and not criticize the other opponet
Kitchen guy you are right though people see the ads and will vote for the one putting out the lies

yummy4tummy said:
I don't know about any of you but I have been BOMBARDED with political candidate calls! Thursday morning was the day from well, you know where. I got 5 calls within an hour (automated) GRRR! I am so fed up that I am almost ready to pull my phone out of the wall and throw the TV out with it. You would think that the DNC registry would apply to these people too! Caller ID doesn't help much either as the calls are from local numbers. I could screen my calls through the answering machine but it would just be my luck that someone was calling to place an obsurdly large order (wishful thinking) and hang up once they got my message machine. LOL!

Vent over, returning to normal breathing.:rolleyes:

You & me both - I am SO sick of them!!!
Meanwhile my 8yo picks them up and LISTENS and is forming opinions based on these calls - LOL

Alabama was the location of one of the funnier negative ads a few years ago - when the candidate talked about his opponent, the only picture on the screen was a skunk.

I would have voted for the skunk.

Jennie4PC said:
we have been getting lots af calls also and the mail box is always full of candidate ads
My husband actually mentioned last night about putting negative ads on the tv why cant they say what they are doing and not criticize the other opponet
Kitchen guy you are right though people see the ads and will vote for the one putting out the lies
Our state has become so corrupted with PAC money and news media collaboration that I fear you may be correct.

That said, the photo of the soldiers in Iraq (holding the sign that said, "JOHN CARY HALP US - WE R STUCK IN IRAK" with the backwards K) started it's phenominal trek around the world right here in Milwaukee - so we do have alternative sources of information available.

Me too

I hate getting those call asking to vote for them

How would they like it if I would call them three or four times a day and ask them to have a show with me.

I thought of that too. If I ever get a LIVE person I may just pull out my host coaching tips.

Anne, it would be great if the broadcasting stations here would keep track of how they are running the ads. They ran the same ad 3 consecutive times. Oh, and did I forget to mention that I can wallpaper my neighborhood with all the mailers? I bet we lose at least 1 national forest a year during election time.

Valky

Mailers and those damn yard signs!

I think candidates should be fined for every sign still in a yard after November 10 (the 8th would be better, but they've got a lot of signs to pickup). It's litter!!!!!

We have a law like that here - yard signs have to be down and collected by the candidate within X days of the election.I think yard signs are innocuous enough, though, and are meaningless. Yard signs aren't going to change anyone's mind and the number of yard signs does not indicate who the leading candidate is. Actually, the losing candidate's signs tend to disappear moments after the results are announced. Bumper stickers just announce more about someone than support for a candidate. I am amazed at how many people still have bumper stickers from elections several years past.For example, anyone who still has an Al Gore in 2000 bumper sticker on their car is a lost cause.

Hmmm,
I thought we weren't talking politics on here

We're talking about politics, which is different than talking politics. One is the system, the other is the beliefs/platforms/opinions.

imo, it the same. However I just won't read. LOL

It's really not the same - because I am just as fed up with the advertising & campaign tactics of the party I support as I am the other parties.....I'm just sick of it all! This is something that is universally common ground - no arguments about who has the kindest, most honest campaign techniques!;)

Tivo should be doing some big advertising right now!!!!!Prepare us for the next political seasonl

HMMM...what if there was an election and nobody showed up to vote?
Unless and until the country unites to put a stop to the negative campaigning it will continue.

Negative campaigning will continue (because it works) until this happens:Candidate A runs a campaign saying, vote for me because I lowered your taxes, put a chicken in every pot, repaved every road in the district and changed the hours of city hall so you can actually transact business there.Cadidate Z runs a campaign saying, vote for me, because Candidate A is a child molester, did jail time for shoplifting, skimmed money from parking meters and took bribes from the road pavers.If Candidate A were to win, negative campaigning would come to an end. Unfortunately, it is more likely that Candidate Z will win that election.Why? Because no candidate actually runs ads like that.There are three kinds of campaign ads. 1) Comes from the candidate. 2) Comes from the party. 3) Comes from third parties. Watch (or listen to the ad) for the sponsor - who paid for it? The candidate's ads all require the candidate to say, "I'm Joe Schlobotnik and I approved this message." Those seldom say anything nasty about the other cadidate.The party ads usually say something like, "Paid for by the (Democratic)(Republican)(Other) National Committee" or whatever group paid for it. Most of these are usually feel-good, "happy times are coming if you vote for us" kind of ads.It's the third party ads that are the most negative and are probably causing you the most heartburn. Third parties are usually shadowy groups that aren't readily identified. The most negative ads around here are all run by groups that have names like Committee for Building a Better Wisconsin or Committee for Truth or something like it that sounds reasonable, but really isn't. If you don't do some digging, you'll never know what PAC is behind the ads.Why do negative ads work? If you support Candidate Z, you don't really care what's said about Z's opponent - you're going to vote for Z anyway. Same is true about Candidate A, if you support A, you're going to vote that way.It's those of us who are undecided. If we kinda like A but are put off negative campaigning and stay home - Z wins. If you don't like the negative ads and the lying, go vote for the guy who is the target of the smear. Don't stay home - voters staying home is part of the reason why the good guy loses and the schmuck wins.

I have been getting a lot of politcal calls, and they are all recordings. I can't wait until it is over. To me politics is just a bunch of negatvity. They are always telling us what whomever is doing wrong. It is never what they can do for us or how they can help the world. I think this is why I don't like politics. Just my two cents.

apriljc said:
I have been getting a lot of politcal calls, and they are all recordings. I can't wait until it is over. To me politics is just a bunch of negatvity. They are always telling us what whomever is doing wrong. It is never what they can do for us or how they can help the world. I think this is why I don't like politics. Just my two cents.
I used to feel pretty much the same way. I came of age in the turmoil of the '60's and I never did figure out what went on in Chicago in '68 or why. I voted in my first Presidential election in 1972 and became completely disillusioned with policitians in 1989 when the Iranians took over the American embassy in Teheran in 1979 and Jimmy Carter did, essentially, nothing.After pretty much sitting out most of the 1980's (politically) one day, I came to the realization that my state was in a mess and I realized that I was getting the government I deserved by not participating. I came to my senses and began to get educated about what each party offered, or didn't offer, and started to pay more attention. If you stay home, you get the government you deserve and you have no right to complain. If you choose your candidate on the basis of 30 broadcast spots and yard signs, you might as well stay home. Ah, but instead, if you pay attention to what is going on in your community, your county, your state and your country, you can start to see what is happening and why. If you can get news from more than one source, listen to differing opinions without degenerating into name calling, digest what you hear/read/learn and form your own opinons, you can pretty much ignore the campaigns and vote your conscience, with confidence.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Ah, but instead, if you pay attention to what is going on in your community, your county, your state and your country, you can start to see what is happening and why. If you can get news from more than one source, listen to differing opinions without degenerating into name calling, digest what you hear/read/learn and form your own opinons, you can pretty much ignore the campaigns and vote your conscience, with confidence.

Here, Here!! We have the duty, as Americans, to be educated voters. It is important to be an informed voter and to stand up for what you believe in!

If you're lucky enough to get someone live on the phone, say, "Yes, I have a minute!! But before you start your spiel, have you ever heard of the Pampered Chef?"....

I got a call from Tommy Thompson once, and another time, I got one from George W. Bush.Of course, they were both recordings.Too bad - wouldn't it be fun to do a show at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue?

My first year to vote - My dad and I were standing in line to cast out ballots and it was pretty much a landslide for Reagan already.

My parents both only voted when they first turned 18. They haven't voted since. Isn't that silly?

If you don't vote, you can't complain about the government!

I have a different word for it - silly doesn't cover it. ;)

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
I have a different word for it - silly doesn't cover it. ;)

Yeah, I know it. But hey, they're my parents! I can't be too mean. :)

Well, encourage them to vote. Mine can't - legally anyway. I have a feeling that many of their neighbors are still voting in Chicago, Milwaukee and Madison ~ and often, too.

bbauman07 said:
Hmmm,
I thought we weren't talking politics on here
Are we not allowed to discuss it? Oopps... Didn't realize that.

Vicky: Unfortunately, stations have very little control over the whole political mess. Unless they are very, very careful and smart in the beginning of what we call the "political window" 90 days prior to an election, the politicians can get dirt cheap rates and run as often as they want. We legally HAVE to offer them what we would offer ANY other customer. Like the LOWEST rate on the station. UGH!

LOL We had 3 messages tonight... My husband says that he thinks one of them was live...

And talk about dirty... there is NOTHING worse than the small town, back woods politics that goes on here. I actually got a letter from one candidate saying that the opponent is a "proud card carrying member of the Men Love Boys club and wants our schools to teach masturbation to the kids." Which is absolutely disgusting. I did hear rumors about both, but don't know if they are true. A club like that shouldn't even exist.

Must be pretty dumb kids around there if they can't figure it out on their own.We're not talking politics - we're talking ABOUT politics. There's a significant difference.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Must be pretty dumb kids around there if they can't figure it out on their own.

LOL Too funny...

Funny because it's true. :)

there is a national association of men who love boys or something.... it's NAMBLA and was featured in South Park... heh. Political campaigning is a privelidge in this country. Hope everyone goes out to vote!

privelige even...

I already voted.:) :) :)Not one negative ad can influence my vote because it's already in the registrar's hands, to be opened on Tuesday.

rebeccastt said:
Here, Here!! We have the duty, as Americans, to be educated voters. It is important to be an informed voter and to stand up for what you believe in!

A friend of mine has a very strong opinion on one of the proposals that's on the Michigan ballot this election. She feels the same way (about being educated). What's really great about talking to her about the proposal is that she understands that people have differing views, and not everyone agrees with her. She just wants people to do a little research and be aware of both sides of the issue before they make a decision. Very mature of her!

Also very rare in this day and age.

Well, MY ballot is cast.Is YOURS?Go out and vote - unless you're not voting the same way I am, of course, then you should stay home. :D

I voted!! Voter number 5 in my precinct. I got there at 6:45 and there was a short line already.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RachelNguyen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
Replies
Views
erinyourpclady
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies