• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Won't Book Shows the Last Half of the Month Again!

In summary, some hosts seem to be hurried to close their shows at the end of the month in order to receive their monthly incentive, while others are not given a chance to collect orders after the show. This is wrong because it puts undue stress on hosts and guests. Furthermore, they have made it clear that it is unethical to change the date of the show (holding a show in May but dating it in June) by giving those guests/hosts a jump on the specials for the next month.
Paige Dixon
Is anyone else frusterated with the "hold and submit" clause for all our incentives lately?? Basically, all of our shows held at the end of the month don't ever count toward our incentive unless the host is ready to submit right away.

Hurrying our end of the month shows to close is wrong because:
-Any friends/relatives asked to order after the show shouldn't feel rushed to get their order in.
-End of the month hosts should get just as much of a chance to collect orders after the show as the hosts in the rest of the month.
-Obviously, it's unfair to us because it won't count towards any monthly incentives we're working towards except our check.

Also, they've made it clear that it is unethical to change the date of the show (holding a show in May but dating it in June) by giving those guests/hosts a jump on the specials for the next month.

So, I won't book again at the end of the month. I'll do 8-10 shows in two weeks and spend the rest of the month closing them out and taking a nap.

Why do they do this to us?:mad:

If you have a show scheduled for the end of the month, you can just make it known during host coaching that the show needs to close by the last day of the month. You could even offer an incentive to close on time.

If you let your host know well ahead of time, she can have orders collected before you even show up at her house. I have found that if you give people a deadline, and just state is as this is the way it is, they will comply. This goes for the host as well as for anyone wishing to order from her but won't be at the show.

Alot of times the host will assume they must close by the end of June for a june special and I don't let them think differently---I usually do mention I would like it to close by the last--my show Wed closed late last nite (10) at $450--I am giving her a few products I have here--said I was doing it just because I was glad she did the show and closed so quickly!!

She may even sell someday!!:D

I know it's tough, but every company has to have rules. I agree with the others....just make your goals known to the host, generally they will be willing to help you out! My host this last Wed closed her show last night also. I let her know from the beginning that I'd like to close on the 30th if possible, and explained why. I wanted to reach a certain level in the sellathon, plus with the holiday weekend & all. She was more than willing; she even announced it at her show that I was trying to earn new products! As long as you're communicating well with your hosts; everything can work to your advantage;)

Paige Dixon said:
So, I won't book again at the end of the month. I'll do 8-10 shows in two weeks and spend the rest of the month closing them out and taking a nap.

If you are concerned about closing before the last day of the month, it's perfectly acceptable to set your schedule so that you present shows only the first 3 weeks of the month and use the 4th week to close shows from the 3rd week. Many Consultants do this as a regular business practice.

As someone already replied, if you tell your Host that the show has to close by a certain date they will usually close within that time frame. If I want someone to close quickly (one or two days), I remind them that they need to collect all of their outside orders BEFORE we have our show (and really, this is what I'd like them to do for every show).

You set the rules of how you will work YOUR business.

Last week of month, if you're worried, couldn't you...I've never done this, but couldn't you just offer the following months specials and such and then as they will close in July then you'd have shows done for July?? Just date them as July1st or whatever case may be??

I also have had some hostesses who were great and worked with me, and then others who haven't.

I've got a catalog show, that she doesn't care what specials she gets, so I'm thinking of asking her when we close, would she care if we switched to a July cattie show, and that way my sales will count for current promotion, if someone ordered over the $60.00 amount they'll get a batter bowl free, which I think most will prefer. But if not, I can order one on hostess order and get it cheaper.

HTH,

Lisa

Tell PC about your concerns!
Paige Dixon said:
Is anyone else frusterated with the "hold and submit" clause for all our incentives lately?? Basically, all of our shows held at the end of the month don't ever count toward our incentive unless the host is ready to submit right away.

Hurrying our end of the month shows to close is wrong because:
-Any friends/relatives asked to order after the show shouldn't feel rushed to get their order in.
-End of the month hosts should get just as much of a chance to collect orders after the show as the hosts in the rest of the month.
-Obviously, it's unfair to us because it won't count towards any monthly incentives we're working towards except our check.

Also, they've made it clear that it is unethical to change the date of the show (holding a show in May but dating it in June) by giving those guests/hosts a jump on the specials for the next month.

Why do they do this to us?:mad:

I agree with all of the advice given on this thread but I also have the same concerns you express here. I sent PC an email yesterday with these concerns and I suggest you also send it in to them. If they don't hear our concerns (or only hear from a few) they may not consider it when doing future promotions. They DO listen to us so voice your opinion!

I always tell my hosts that we have to close by the end of the month so everyone gets the guest special... I know its not exactly true, but its worked for almost a year and if everyone knows it up front it helps.

BethCooks4U said:
I agree with all of the advice given on this thread but I also have the same concerns you express here. I sent PC an email yesterday with these concerns and I suggest you also send it in to them. If they don't hear our concerns (or only hear from a few) they may not consider it when doing future promotions. They DO listen to us so voice your opinion!
Beth,
Who do you direct the emails too? Field Services? I agree with you. I wonder if a ton of people were holding shows on purpose only to take advantage of the next month's incentive. It's a bummer because that new policy (it didn't used to say that "hold and submit" line all the time) does hurt us when we have shows later in the month.

I think I'll send an email too, but just wondered if you've sent yours to someone in particular. I agree.....those who aren't happy with this should express it to HO.

I have done this since I started. All my hosts now well ahead of time that we have to close by the last day of the month to get that months special. I have had no complaints, and plan to keep it this way!

I have had the occaisional host that couldn't close, but its been the exception.

I agree we shouldn't have to rush our hosts at the end of the month. I think they should give us 7 days to close them and let them count toward the previous month. I think it's fine to make the incentives based on the actual show date. They allow themselves 2 weeks to ship the show - why can't we have 1 week to close it and send it in??

It's so upsetting to have a show that doesn't go toward any incentive! I've had it happen too many times! Sure it's find to schedule everything the first three weeks of the month once you have a business built, but I'm still working at that. Right now I take a show whenever I can get it!

I also don't think it's right to rush someone who has some outside orders to come int. That determines their free product level. The more free they get, the more likely they are to book a show again!

I've already called before and voiced my concerns - didn't change anything yet. I'll have to email them too.

I am also agreeing with most of the posts to this thread. Some additional thoughts...

--I believe the HO started changing the wording about "held and submitted" because many consultants were holding shows so they could make the incentive. That's great for us but not fair to our hosts.

-- I've been amazed at how many hosts actually expect that I want them to close a show the NIGHT of their show. It has been my experience that the majority of outside orders come in before the show and rarely after it. Making sure you emphasize a closing date when you host coach should help you meet your deadlines. Encourage the host to collect an order from friends that call and cancel the day of the show will eliminate alot of the "Let's wait a few days, I know Susie was coming so she will probably want something."

--Just because an end of month show doesn't count towards an incentive, it does count towards a PAYCHECK!

--Lisa/ChefBear...you can't do a cooking show in one month and then change the show date to another month. That is a big No-No with the HO. As for a catalog show, I don't see any reason why you can't use a show date that works for you and the host.

--Incentives aren't offered every month so I would suggest keeping your focus on a steady schedule and then add a show or two the first couple weeks of a month when an incentive is offered.

Okay...I'm done :)

I am definately trying to "front load" my shows.

At this point I am taking any shows I can get, and I also let my hosts know that shows need to be closed by the last day of the month. If the show is held at the end of the month I tell them that they need to round up outside orders before their show as opposed to after. I have never had a problem with the host!

The "held and submitted" clause is a big pain. Last night I had a party and during the host coaching I asked her to remind her guests to be prepared to pay with credit or debit cards because I will be submitting the show that evening. They all complied, quite happily I might add. I also reminded her that this was her only chance to gather outside orders. She had about $200 in orders before I got there and 8 guests at the party.

It came right down to the wire. I sent the party from her home. The party had to be submitted by 10pm my time. It took a little while to figure out the cable connection thing. According to my Pampered Partner log it was sent on the 30th and received on the 1st. I thought I missed out, but today the receipt date for the party is the 30th!! I am happy. If the host wasn't a friend though I don't think I could have been quite as forthright.

Didn't know you could do otherwise!I've never had this problem either! And honestly, I don't know if it is just my ignorance or what, but I thought you DID have to have your June shows (for example) submitted by the last day of June in order to receive the host/guest specials. So, I've always ran my business by "if you want this month's specials, you have to have the show closed by the end of the month". So, it is news to me, that there was even a possibility, of hosting a June show, and closing in July! I think I'll keep my 'innocence' on this one and continue to live by that rule. ;) I know I'd get too confused if I didn't. :p

pamperedbecky said:
Beth,
Who do you direct the emails too? Field Services? I agree with you. I wonder if a ton of people were holding shows on purpose only to take advantage of the next month's incentive. It's a bummer because that new policy (it didn't used to say that "hold and submit" line all the time) does hurt us when we have shows later in the month.

I think I'll send an email too, but just wondered if you've sent yours to someone in particular. I agree.....those who aren't happy with this should express it to HO.
Yes it's Field Services that you send that kind of email to.

Most of my shows close within 3 days and some that night but I still feel that we are being punished by the consultants who hold all their shows until the last day of the month and submit them all at once.

I really coach them to close promptly, especially a couple of days before the end of the month, but inevidebly, I always end up with hosts not ready or MIA at the end. I'm really going to book the first two weeks only and try my best to stick to it with very few exceptions.

I agree it is very frustrating, I have a catalog show out right now and the host is waiting on a few last minute orders to bump up her sales, I hate to discourage more sales to meet my goals. I would have loved to have her show in June count towards the 2 incentives but I think it is fair to her to get her more Free stuff. So basically this show isn't really good for anything except the commission. J guess I see both sides.

I think I have given up on catalog shows, unless the host specifically asks to do one.

I always let hosts of end of month shows know that I will have to close the show on the show date, and to collect all outside order in advance.

Almost all of my hosts prefer to close at the time of their show anyway, so this is rarely an issue for me. I like spreading out my shows through out the month then I get checks on both paydays.

All my shows close on the night of the show. I have never done it any other way so my hosts know what to expect (because if they book from a party they see that it closes that night)

On the front of the show planner there is a date you can fill in to tell your host when the show will close...fill it in and STICK to it.

Also, I ONLY do kitchen shows...I have only done one catalog show, and that was my own to help get one last show in for an incentive. I think catalog shows are more trouble than they are worth to be honest!

AJPratt said:
I always tell my hosts that we have to close by the end of the month so everyone gets the guest special... I know its not exactly true, but its worked for almost a year and if everyone knows it up front it helps.

I'm with you. I have told my hosts that shows need to be closed by the last day of the month on order to get the guests their specials for spending more than $60. It has worked out great, not to mention, when the month show is done, and filed away for me.
Schel

Catalog ShowsIMO I love catalog shows from certain people. I have one lady who has never hosted her own show with me, but always does catalog shows and they are always at least $750. She has one going right now, yeah!!

When someone calls out of the blue for a catalog show I am totally stoked, because I didn't have to put the time in getting ready for a show, doing the show, and then the final closing of the show.

With my phone sale last week I encourage my guests to share the phone sale with their friends and they would be rewarded w/ a shopping spree. I had a lady that I met at a fair at the begining of May email her friends(all over the U.S.) and get $475 worth of orders. Helped me end my June with a bang. All I did was send her an email, took less than 5 mins, and I made $100.:D :D She can't wait till December, so she can do x-mas shopping, when I do it again!

Now on the flip side, I had a host cancel for a 3rd time, and so I suggested we turn it into a catalog show, and she said no problem. Well you guessed it MIA. This irritates me, because she won't respond, so this is a lost cause. I know several consultants who are low on sales, make a few phone calls to get some catalog shows going and it balances out their month.

Sorry this is so long, I just wanted to state my opinion on catalog sales!;)

In the Tom Marston post it mentions that he buys the guest special for the host if they host a catalog show. I think this is a great idea because it is easier to talk someone into hosting a catalog show than a cooking show, and who wouldn't want to get the host special for free?? All he does is supply the catalogs and order forms, then enter it into PP. Even if the sales are low they are still sales.

Related to I Won't Book Shows the Last Half of the Month Again!

What is the issue with the "hold and submit" clause for end of the month shows?

The issue with the "hold and submit" clause is that any shows held at the end of the month do not count towards monthly incentives unless the host submits the orders right away. This puts pressure on hosts to rush their guests to submit orders, which can be unfair and unethical.

Why is hurrying end of the month shows to close wrong?

Hurrying end of the month shows to close is wrong because it can make guests and relatives feel rushed to place their orders. It also gives end of the month hosts less time to collect orders and take advantage of incentives.

Why should end of the month hosts have the same opportunity to collect orders as hosts in the rest of the month?

End of the month hosts should have the same opportunity to collect orders as hosts in the rest of the month because it is fair and allows them to take advantage of incentives. They should not be penalized for holding shows at the end of the month.

Why is it considered unethical to change the date of a show to take advantage of the next month's specials?

It is considered unethical to change the date of a show to take advantage of the next month's specials because it gives guests and hosts an unfair advantage over those who follow the proper schedule. It goes against the principles of fairness and integrity in business.

Why are some scientists frustrated with the "hold and submit" clause for end of the month shows?

Some scientists may be frustrated with the "hold and submit" clause for end of the month shows because it goes against their principles of fairness and puts pressure on hosts to rush their guests. It may also impact their ability to meet monthly incentives and goals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• msmileyface
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
cookingwith_tara
  • kam
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
esavvymom
Replies