• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Tried the No Cooking Format Last Night...

In summary, the guests liked the Tom Marston, no cooking, format last night...and it went really well. I didn't give out catalogs until the very end, I found that if people were chit-chatting that they were chatting about the products and not about who was having and affair and who won't cut their grass!! The guests were actually writing products down on their write in receipts and only one crossed anything off when we were done. After we were done, the guests and not me, had a 30 minute long conversation about the different products and what to do with them. It was a very fun show and everyone said that they loved the format. I didn't get any bookings but do have 3 recruit
soonerchef
I tried the Tom Marston, no cooking, format last night...and it went really well. I didn't give out catalogs until the very end, I found that if people were chit-chatting that they were chatting about the products and not about who was having and affair and who won't cut their grass!! The guests were actually writing products down on their write in receipts and only one crossed anything off when we were done. After we were done, the guests and not me, had a 30 minute long conversation about the different products and what to do with them. It was a very fun show and everyone said that they loved the format. I didn't get any bookings but do have 3 recruit leads, one being the host and 5 people said that they would host shows for her as a favor to start her biz...so, we will see.

I highly reccomend this format, it was so laid back and the guests really did do all of the selling!!

I don't have any of the write in receipts. Can I make copies of the outside order forms to use at my shows? Since they are not 3 part, the guest wouldn't leave with a receipt. Is that OK?

Did you do a potato/cucumber/lime demo then since you weren't cooking?

I use the outside order forms at all my shows - or the ones we get off the loop here, I like the way they are nice and colorful and we can personalize them with our info. I print everyone a PP Receipt and give it to my host before the boxes arrive to enclose with their order. This works great for me.

Wow Andrea - what dish did you prepare ahead? How long did your show last? This may even be a good recruiting tool - Ive had a couple people mention before that they would do it if it wasnt for the cooking in front of people.

I did the Mandarin Pasta Salad and Garlic Pull Apart Bread...I didn't turn out the bread until everyone got there and then wiped the pan clean so that they could see how easy it was.

The show lasted about 1 hr and 15 minutes...not long and I was in and out in 3 hours with set up.

I don't see anything wrong with using OOF, just as long as the guests get receipts in the end.

GREAT show Andrea...my question is...when & where was the salad placed & served?:confused:

Ginger:cool:

Thanks for the report Andrea. I was contemplating trying this at one of my shows this month (since I want to change things up a bit) I might just try it now and see how it goes!

I served the salad at the beginning and everyone was eating when we started, almost a backwards show.

Andrea,
If you weren't cooking, what took up the hour +? Inquiring minds want to know.
Thanks.

OK..Andrea, KEWL!! Sounds like a definate plan.;) THX

Andrea,

Did you talk through the recipes, ie. what tools you used, use & care, etc. If not, did you demo any tools?

Thats my question - I am so used to talking about the tools I am using while I prepare the recipe, that I dont know what I wuold talk about!
I guess you talk about the recipe and what you USED - and sorta follow Toms guide like asking the guests what products they already have, what they like etc? It would take practice but I love the idea! I hate the lull at shows waiting for something to bake - which is why I do alot of stirfrys and things with the crust already prepared ahead.

I did go over what was in the recipe, especially since they asked. I did not talk about what tools I used except for the SA bowl and server that the salad was in. All I really did was the introductions. I asked everyone to give their name and their favorite product, no repeats...so, when someone said stones that was done and no one else could talk about it. Basically it went like this.Me: Okay your first...
Guest: Hi, I'm Sandi
Me: What is your favorite product?
Guest: Absolutely everything, but since I have to pick just one I will say the Prep Bowls/
Me: What do you like to do with the Prep Bowls?
Guest: (she listed off about 5 things that she does)
Me: Did you know that they were freezer, microwave, dishwasher and oven safe?It really goes on and on and the guests were able to give me some segways to talk about other products...like one said she liked the knives, that gave me the segway to talk about our families of products, i.e. spatulas/scrapers. When someone said something that was a guest special or upcoming special that was my chance to talk about hosting shows. If someone said their fav was a SS kit product, there was my recruiting segway.I hope I have helped, let me know if you have any other questions.

Cool! I do my shows alot like that - I have the guests talk about thier favorite product and sprinkle these introductions throughout my demo. I basically let them sell the products and I feel like most of the guests will listen to them and take advice from their friends rather than me! I usually intervene and throw in a few comments just like you. So really, I'll keep doing just like before only no demo.

Let me make sure I have this right... So you invite guests to sample the salad when they arrive. When they sit down you take out the pull aparts. Then you go through intros and chat? I'm pretty thick headed. Do yuo have a general gudie of what you do? Do you do contests?

Let me make sure I have this right... So you invite guests to sample the salad when they arrive? When they sit down you take out the pull aparts. Then you go through intros and chat? I'm pretty thick headed, and its Monday. Do you have a general guide of what you do? Do you do contests?

Hi Andrea

What were your sales like at this show... were they improved? The same? less? Just curious if you still sell when people aren't seeing the tools in action.
:D

I am curious about this style show also. I really tend to get caught up in the recipe and not really talking about the products or cross selling. And my recruiting "seeds" have dried up and blown away. So this may be a better option for me.

It obviously works, but it seems like it would really be a sales pitch. Was the format comfortable and conversational? Did the host or guests have any comments on the format not being what they had expected?

AJPratt said:
Let me make sure I have this right... So you invite guests to sample the salad when they arrive. When they sit down you take out the pull aparts. Then you go through intros and chat? I'm pretty thick headed. Do yuo have a general gudie of what you do? Do you do contests?

What you stated is pretty much it, thought your PC job couldn't get any easier?? It can!! The only thing I do for prizes is filling out the drawing slip and then depending on how large the crowd is I pick a number, we had 14 at this last show and I picked 3 names, and those are the ones that get to choose from the prize bowl.

Veevahchef said:
Hi Andrea

What were your sales like at this show... were they improved? The same? less? Just curious if you still sell when people aren't seeing the tools in action.
:D

My sales were good, right now people don't seem to be ordering as much being that it's summer but my average order was still $50, not bad...I did have 4 people not order at all. My summer shows always seem to drop to about an avg order of $35, so I will take the extra $15 per order. Most people don't need to see them in action from what I have found, the referral from their friends seems to be all that is needed.

Sk8Mom209 said:
I am curious about this style show also. I really tend to get caught up in the recipe and not really talking about the products or cross selling. And my recruiting "seeds" have dried up and blown away. So this may be a better option for me.

It obviously works, but it seems like it would really be a sales pitch. Was the format comfortable and conversational? Did the host or guests have any comments on the format not being what they had expected?

I actually asked the current host and the host that she booked from (it was the previous hosts 3rd show of mine) and they both said that they liked the new format much better. Everyone said that they had a blast and that it was more like catalog shopping with their friends with good food and drinks...gotta like that! I also felt like less of a sales person than before, it was more like I was a facilitator of conversation.

I like the ideaWay before I joined PC my girlfriends had shows and there was no cooking at all. Products were spread out for everyone to see and the consultants were great at going over the products and specials. There was a PC recipe done up a head of time. I was confused when I joined that you cooked!!!!! Believe it or not I was. After I joined I got phone calls from people who wanted to have parties and they actually said to me" I hear you cook, why?". More then half my shows, have been no cookin';)

I noticed the tone of the show changed when I started to prepare the recipe. It went from conversational to just silence. Which I guess is good they're paying attention, but I liked the other atmosphere better.

Im so gonna try this. My next really big show coming up is a grilling show. All this has been in the works for awhile but I still think I can pull this off. This show is gonna be over 20 people. I have the rubs for grilling the chicken. Her hubby was already gonna do this. And the host is gonna already have a big salad made up for guests to just make a salad and I will slice the chicken into 3 different SA squares. He can be grilling as they arrive. And I can sure do the pullapart bread! This may just work! I can have all the new tools out - especially the bbq stuff and talk about it all. I'm also gonna use the questions that Tom asks. Im excited!

One question about making the food ahead of time. Do you make it at home and bring it to the host's house or do you make it at the hosts house while setting up the show? If you make it at your house, who pays for the ingredients? This sounds like so much fun I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the clarification!

h_simcox said:
One question about making the food ahead of time. Do you make it at home and bring it to the host's house or do you make it at the hosts house while setting up the show? If you make it at your house, who pays for the ingredients? This sounds like so much fun I can't wait to try it! Thanks for the clarification!

I buy the ingredients and make the recipe as much as possible at home and if I have to assemble it, I do it at the show. For example one of my recipe options for this month are the Mango Salsa Sundaes. I make the tortilla shells and the salsa at home and then the rest before the show or after, depending on when the host wants them served. I tell the host, right away since I'm buying the ingredients, I will need a check for the $15 and I still give them the Hospitality Bonus.

Hi Andrea,

I agree w/everyone else. I'm going to try this one.

Can someone please email me the Mandarian Pasta Salad recipe. I have heard so many people do this recipe, but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance,

Rhonda B.

pampchefrhondab said:
Hi Andrea,

I agree w/everyone else. I'm going to try this one.

Can someone please email me the Mandarian Pasta Salad recipe. I have heard so many people do this recipe, but I can't find it.

Thanks in advance,

Rhonda B.

MANDARIN PASTA SALAD

Dressing:
1 teaspoon finely chopped, peeled, fresh gingerroot
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/3 cup rice vinegar
¼ cup orange juice
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil (optional)
1 envelope Lipton Recipe Secrets Onion Soup Mix
2 teaspoons sugar

Salad:
8 ounces uncooked bow tie pasta
½ cucumber, scored, seeded and sliced
½ cup diced red bell pepper
½ cup coarsely chopped red onion
1 package (6 ounces) baby spinach leaves
1 can (11 ounces) mandarin orange segments, drained
2 cups diced, cooked chicken
½ cup sliced almonds, toasted

1. For dressing, finely chop gingerroot using Food Chopper. In Small Batter Bowl, whisk gingerroot, garlic pressed with Garlic Press, vinegar, orange juice, vegetable oil, sesame oil, soup mix and sugar. Cover, refrigerate until ready to use.

2. For salad, cook pasta according to package directions in Professional (8-qt) Stockpot; drain in large colander and rinse under cold running water. Place pasta in Simple Additions Large Bowl.

3. Meanwhile, score cucumber using Lemon Zester/Scorer; remove seeds using The Corer. Slice cucumber using Ultimate Slice & Grate; cut slices in half. Dice bell pepper using Chef’s Knife. Coarsely chop onion using Food Chopper. Add cucumber, bell pepper, onion, spinach, mandarin oranges, chicken and almonds to pasta. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Serve immediately.

Yield: 12 servings

Nutrients per serving: Calories 210, Total Fat 9g, Saturated Fat 1g, Cholesterol 20mg, Carbohydrate 21g, Protein 11g, Sodium 210mg., fiber 2g

Thanks for posting that Ginger...

You're welcome Andrea...anytime;) ;) ;)

Yes, Thank you very much Ginger! I'm going to try making it this weekend to try it out.

Thanks again,

Rhonda B.

This all sounds so interesting! It's kinda like teaching an old dog new tricks! I think it's definately worth trying though, especially during these hot months of summer when no one wants to heat up the house with the oven on. It's supposed to be in the 100's here the next few days:eek:
I know what you mean, sometimes it seems like the guests are just in a daze watching you prepare the recipe; this would be a way to get them really involved talking about the products.

I asked my directorI asked my director about this and her thoughts. She said that the cooking part is what sets us different from the other home parties. She always says to keep the demo to 15-20 min MAX, but always do a quick demo. She has made TPC in sales and balanced business. I think I may still try this some time and have stations set up so people can "play with the tools" Has anyone tried having stations?

Michelle

My director had a similar responce, she said Doris set up the company with the intent of showing people how to use the tools.
I am not going to get rid of my demo all together, but I am trying the got it love it, what do you use it for, and did you get it by hosting or buying? It worked really well at my show last night, will see how it goes tonight!

Yes, I have tried the "hands on" in addition to my cooking demo. It works great and the guests love it. I do that instead of playing a game. I set up around 6-8 different things and ask for volunteers. At one of my shows I had the guests try the Apple Peeler Corer Slicer and ended up selling 4-5 of them.

I talked to my director too about it, I was even going to bring up the concept of what Tom does at his shows at our cluster meeting, but she did not want to - and I can see her point. She said it would just confuse the new consultants because cooking at our shows is what PC is all about - after all we are "cooking consultants".
She did like the idea tho, and said for us seasoned consultants, why not give it a try - just didnt want me sharing it with the new girls.
I love the idea - Im gonna try cooking most before hand and having it ready but maybe get the guest involved in last minute things - like adding cheese with the cheese grater etc...I love the hands on approach!

I thought we WERE Independent Kitchen Consutlantsand that we are now "Pampered Chef Consultants". That makes it a whole new ball game. I do not remember the word "Cooking" being in there at all.
The main reason it was changed was because of people like Tom Marston and the Express Show Idea. Your director needs to get it straight. We have two destinctive in home parties. One is the traditional cooking show and the other is the non-demo, no cooking express show as Tom does.
If she is a good director, she should be able to handle explaining both concepts. It's not confusing. It is an opportunity to learn that there is more than one way to sell our products. And it is only fair to talk about all those selling techniques. Especially to the newbies so they know they have choices.

Last edited:
We are Pampered Chef Consultants, but we are offering COOKING shows. In the end, the joy of owning our own business is controlling our income with what works for US. Cooking or not, it is your business and your income. Try out both formats and decide for yourself which one to use.

All I know is it works for Tom, he IS the first male consultant to reach the $1 million mark, I mean...that's $100,000 in sales every year!! The man knows what he is doing and I am finding great success with his method, again that is what is great about PC....we all can find our own paths to success.

John - I think you misunderstood what I was trying to say, sorry if I did not explain it correctly. When the "kitchen" was dropped from our title, it was because we are "cooking consultants". PChef even says that. I was simply stating the fact that that is what we do, whether we cook before or during the show!

New consultants are first trained to cook during the demo. That is all my director meant and I agree. She is an Advanced Director in fact and one of the best and I am lucky to be under her...! She is great and definitely knows her stuff.

That is all she meant - just not to throw too much at the new girls at first - we have had some pretty "blonde" girls, LOL, lately if you know what I mean, and there was gonna be a bunch of them at the meeting. And they do know of the express show - we just had an already full meeting with tons of their questions and we were doing a live cooking demo for them.

My director is very much into letting us work independently. Our May meeting was at her beach house - 3 days - food, everything on her. She is awesome.

Last edited:
Just for clarification, Pampered Chef changed our titles to "Pampered Chef Consultants" because in surveys, people were thinking along the lines of "kitchen remodeling/design" when "Kitchen Consultants" was mentioned.
Along those lines, they changed the name of the show to "COOKING shows" rather than Kitchen Shows to more accurately reflect what the direction of the company is.

We are not called "Cooking Consultants"... we're called "Pampered Chef Consultants" and we do "cooking shows" - unless you don't cook at your "cooking show", thats up to you. ;)

Hey Sooner Chef, where are your notes posted from the meeting you went to. I would love to see them. Thanks Katie

I'd like to add to what John posted. I think its important to let the new consultants know that another option is available. Its especially great for those who aren't sure about public speaking or feel they aren't good cooks.

My philosophy is "Why re-invent the wheel?" If Tom is doing something very successful, and it works for him, I should certainly gve it a try.

Has anyone read Doris's latest book? It gives you really great information about why she started PC.

And, if you trying this format at your shows, then any subsequent recruits are going to know about this anyway. So, it might be confusing for your Director to NOT mention it as an option.

Wow, I've been trying all sorts of formats - not just two. I've done Mommy and Me shows which, no matter how you do it, you don't have time for much cooking demos. I've done a bridal shower with no demo because everyone is there to say nice things about the bride. I've done product discussions with the two guests that are there - letting them lead the way. I've screamed over a crowd of wine-drinkers - barely able to say two sentences before they started talking again. Seems like a "traditional" show doesn't happen but about half the time for me and that's fine. I like the variety and hope my hosts do too....

For those of you who mentioned doing hands on show my director gave me a tip. I have had a hard time getting guests to come up and help with the demo so my consultant said to try putting the name of the different tools I'm going to use in my demo on the name tags. Tell everyone at the beginning that when I come to the tool that is mentioned on their name tag they get to come up and help with the demo. This worked really well at my last show and only one person didn't come up and help but that was because she had just had surgery. :)

OK I got it now!I do remember the surveys but part of the reason those surveys came out was because of inovative ideas like Tom's. And yes, thank you, as I though maybe your director was so old school that nothing new was worth talking about or trying. I am glad I was wrong. I have to admit though that some directors are like that. I know of at least two personally that are doing things like it was 1980 still. That's probably why they are still directors and not farther up the chain. Not in my group but at conference I sat behind these two ladies on one of the busses and they were saying how they thought it was awful that someone would do an Express show. We are there to teach cooking. Well, I am there to inform, teach, cook, sell and whatever else I need to do to make my customers happy. I also heard one of them say that their sales were way down and that even some of her "special" hosts weren't booking from her any more. I wondered why?
Same old, same old?

I just discovered this thread. I've read enough to know that I want the "dirt" on this show. Does anyone have a file or outline for this kind of show? Do you buy the ingredients or does the host? Do you prepare everything at home?

More details, please! This sounds really neat!!!:)

Look in the post "Tom Marston, Cooking Show Live!" That is where the notes are from the TM show and somewhat of an outline.

You can buy the ingredients and prepare the recipe at home or have the host buy the ingredients and make the recipe when you get there. I will bump up the TM post so that you can see it.

AndreaAny word on the e-mail yet? I am so wanting to go with all the info I can. I am so tired of my full time job and if what Tom does can bump up my business, well, I'll give anything a go! Short of getting anarexia and dying my hair brown and getting plastic surgery to look like a Calvin Klien model this post and that info is all I got going!
(Except maybe my sense of humor!)

Hey John, I posted the host coaching calendar that he uses in the TM, cooking show live post in Meeting Tips.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Laura4
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Laura4
  • lesliec
  • Pampered Chef Sales
Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • Shortstuff0203