• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Phone Call Anxiety: Tips for Successful Conversations

, it sounds like you are really good at making sales, but you are not so good at making phone calls. You should try to focus on making phone calls more, and not just selling. Try to be positive and enthusiastic, and people will start to want to talk to you. You should also try to focus on referrals, and find people who need your services. Finally, it sounds like you are really good at cooking, but you are not so good at talking to strangers. Try to focus on helping people, and not selling anything.
Yakmama
I really really stink at phone calls. I am brave for the first two or three- but then after the rejections I totally lose it and don't want to make any more.

It seems like lately, any time I talk to my friends and even mention the word "Pampered Chef" they immediately say something like, "oh- that's great that you like your job, but there's NO WAY I can afford any PC stuff during the holidays" or "oh cool- but don't invite me to any shows- I'm broke right now" or "I have sooo much Pampered Chef stuff, I don't need any more!" They get defensive immediately and start rejecting me before I even get to what I was going to say! And if I try to side step it and do one of the comebacks (like the "now more than ever" spiel, or become a consultant to get more money) they get even more defensive and I can tell I have to change the topic before they get mad.

I'm afraid I'm becoming one of "those" friends who is always trying to sell you something, so you're afraid to talk to them.

Ugh... I hate this.

I'm going to try to make some customer calls tonight- my director challenged me to 24 shows in 24 hours, but I'm actually going to try in 48 hours and call every single contact I've ever made. I'm scared to death.

Any words of advice or encouragement??

Go the files section and print off the 100 NO's sheet. It makes getting the no's easier and they actually start to get harder to get. I use this all the time when I am feeling the same way you are. Good luck in getting your 100 no's!

Also, just hang in there and be positive and enthusiastic and you will do just fine. :)

Get out of your circle of family and friends as soon as possible!

Each no brings you closer to a yes. I also sometimes feel like people are afraid I'm going to try and sell them PC. If they say they already have it all, say that new items come out every 6 months. Then give them one of the mini cats.

wadesgirl said:
Get out of your circle of family and friends as soon as possible!

Exactly what I was going to say!
Ask for referrals too.

There is a great flyer on here: 118 ways to find bookings

This is really bold, but when I felt that I had run out of leads I challenged myself to "go shopping" for them. I stopped people in the grocery store, mall, playgrounds, bank, etc. Find the ones who need you. Keep your friends as friends. If they have already hosted once, they have done all they can do. You will find leads. It may not happen that you get shows for next week or even the week after, but it will happen if you keep at it!:thumbup:

Well, at least they can't smell you through the phone. Sorry, I couldn't help myself. My response would be, "Oh, not to worry. i wasn't trolling for sales." [Giggle] They'll soon realize that not every mention of PC is a lead-in to a sales pitch.As for your phone fear, sometimes you just need to pull up your big girl panties and deal with it. Like Nike says, "Just do it!" For me, it's better once I get past the first call. That obviously isn't the case for you. It might help if you give yourself a specific goal--make X number of calls and you can quit.

I think everyone gave really good advice!! I often feel the same way about making phone calls - and I have done this for 6 years! One thing that I am changing is... focussing on how to help out the community, and neighbors with budget friendly meals. Maybe try the want to help you during this hard time approach. Don't worry Monday I am making phone calls, and will have to take my own advice! I have phone calls to make to people that I mailed mini catalogs to or delivered when they weren't home. If they aren't interested in anything, definately ask for referrals. Ask, who do you know that could use budget friendly meal ideas, or even an opportunity to make extra money? I was a referral from my grandmother - I didn't cook, and had a fear of speaking in front of people. Over all that.. except for the phone thing. That's so weird I can talk to strangers that I don't know and bring up PC.. but yet calling them I find difficult. But like I said, turn the table around to helping people, and not selling anything.

I hope that helps you! It made me realize a few things as well.

Stephanie

when i talk to friends about PC i try to make it clear that i'm needing a shoulder to cry on or someone to bounce ideas off of or whatever. but i know what you mean, after a while i could hear the "Oh great, here we go again..." tone. my friends are nice enough to not stop me though. but when i hear that tone alot and deffinatly from more than one person, i try to lay off friends and family with my neediness. just me though. as for the phonaphobia- be like Nike..JUST DO IT! and give your self a goal of so many LIVE contacts once you get those you know you are good for the day. good luck!

Yakmama said:
I really really stink at phone calls. I am brave for the first two or three- but then after the rejections I totally lose it and don't want to make any more.

It seems like lately, any time I talk to my friends and even mention the word "Pampered Chef" they immediately say something like, "oh- that's great that you like your job, but there's NO WAY I can afford any PC stuff during the holidays" or "oh cool- but don't invite me to any shows- I'm broke right now" or "I have sooo much Pampered Chef stuff, I don't need any more!" They get defensive immediately and start rejecting me before I even get to what I was going to say! And if I try to side step it and do one of the comebacks (like the "now more than ever" spiel, or become a consultant to get more money) they get even more defensive and I can tell I have to change the topic before they get mad.

I'm afraid I'm becoming one of "those" friends who is always trying to sell you something, so you're afraid to talk to them.

Ugh... I hate this.

I'm going to try to make some customer calls tonight- my director challenged me to 24 shows in 24 hours, but I'm actually going to try in 48 hours and call every single contact I've ever made. I'm scared to death.

Any words of advice or encouragement??

"What a better time to have a party ~ we can stock your kitchen for FREE! If you don't want to get it for FREE ~ do you know anyone who does?"

Make the comeback personal...about THEM...how THEY can benefit. That's GREAT you're coming back with the recruit spiel!

To me, Ginny's on the right track - remember WIFM - What's In it For Me?? Customer Care calls are about the customers. Ask how they are enjoying their garlic press. Do they need tips with the food chopper? etc.

1. What is "I Stink at Phone Calls"?

"I Stink at Phone Calls" is a popular cookbook from Pampered Chef that offers delicious and easy recipes for those who struggle with talking on the phone.

2. Are the recipes in "I Stink at Phone Calls" specifically for people who struggle with phone calls?

While the cookbook is designed for those who struggle with phone calls, the recipes are enjoyed by everyone. They are simple, tasty, and perfect for any occasion.

3. Is "I Stink at Phone Calls" only for cooking on the phone?

No, the cookbook is not just for cooking while on the phone. The recipes can be used for any type of cooking, whether it's on the phone, in person, or for meal prepping.

4. Are there any tips or tricks for making phone calls easier while cooking?

Yes, the cookbook offers helpful tips and tricks for making phone calls easier while cooking. These include using speakerphone, using a hands-free device, and choosing recipes with shorter cooking times.

5. Can I purchase "I Stink at Phone Calls" from a Pampered Chef consultant?

Absolutely! You can purchase "I Stink at Phone Calls" from a Pampered Chef consultant or directly from the Pampered Chef website. You can also host a Pampered Chef party and earn the cookbook as a hostess gift.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Wildfire
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Dutchess
  • kcmckay
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies