• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Know This Seems Weird...but Its Hendering My Business..

In summary, the author is talking about how they have a fear of calling people, and how it's a difficult task to overcome. They recommend using scripts, practicing, and being persistent.
afwife98439
I realized a couple months back that I have a fear of calling people. I don't know why but I use email a lot. When I get the gumption to call someone(which doesn't happen often I might add) I get nervous and totally blow the conversation. I feel kind of bad about it...but I need to get over it for my business. I don't know how to go about that or if someone else has gone through that too. If you have and are now a successful consultant and whatnot...please give me some advice. I'm in need very badly....If you guys have any suggestions please let me know....I would soo appreciate it!!! :cry:

I swear, you're talking about me! I do the same thing. I need to find some confidence when asking people to book parties.

I'm right there with you! I have it in my head that I am "bugging" them...ugh!K

Me too! I have major phone phobia:eek: ...and not just with Pampered Chef...with everything. I would much rather write something.

Deb

I use email a lot too. That's mainly because I have a toddler that likes to scream when I get on the phone.

You're obviously not alone. I'm a very verbal and social person, but I would swear that the phone weighs 3 tons when I go to make my first call of the evening. Personally, I find that once I've made that first call, it's easier. Of course, that's the issue every evening.As for forgetting what you want to say, why not use a script? Just an outline. You could put on one side of the paper what you want to say if you get a machine. On the other side, put what you want to say if you get a real, live person (if they're different). Here's the start of my basic spiel for customer care calls (CCCs):Hi, _____________. My name is Rae Bates. You don't know me, but I'm ____________'s Pampered Chef Consultant. I'm just calling to make sure that you love the products you got at ____________'s party. Figure out what works for you. I promise it will get easier with time. When I first started, the phone weighted 10 tons. :)

There are customer care scripts on the PC website and in your business guide. They can be very helpful. Print them out, tweak the words so they fit your personality, practice and practice saying the words, and then have it with you by the phone. Also, be sure to order any CD's on phone phobia or customer care, there are some great word choices on those.
I promise you will get better, but it takes time and practice. I have always hated getting on the phone, whether it's to pay a bill or make a Dr.'s appt. but have gotten much better since I started PC over 5 years ago.
You can do it too!!
Deb

No she's talking about me! See youre not alone! LOL

It's me too! I am right there with you! I have determined to get over it in the very near future, because Mexico is sounding really good. We were there on our honeymoon and want to go back.
Any advice anyone can give would be wonderful.

I also like using the mentality of "let's see how many no's I can get tonight" and once I hit 10, I'm done!!! It's that whole reverse psychology trick...but it works for me!!! ;) I HATE picking up the phone and do use email a LOT, but just this past Thursday I decided "it was time" to do the deed. So, I picked up the phone and was going to quit as soon as I had 10 no's. Well, 1 1/2 hours later I only had 4 no's...but 5 cooking shows booked, 2 catalog shows booked, 6 call me in a week and we'll figure out a date, 1 order, and only got to leave 4 messages! Wow! Talk about a "bummer" of a night! I never did hit 10!!!!! :D

I agree with Rae and Deb, and to add to that, maybe you can practice some phone conversations with a close friend or family member to build your confidence?

I do not have this problem, but I do feel kind of jittery when I get up and talk to people. So what I have done is have my husband sit in our living room and let me role play. It really has helped me to feel more comfortable about talking in front of people. Another thing that I have done, is I have called my director and asked her if we can do role playing over the phone, so I could practice on what to say and how to say it to her. And she has been very helpful in giving me suggestions. So maybe if you have a good friend, or sister that you could role play that may help you feel a little more confident about talking on the phone. Hope this helps. :)

It looks like we are all kindred spirits. I would rather be ignored in an email than hear the tone of "great, not you" in their voice. I really get thrown off by that. I keep a smile on my face. I am getting better about it, but it is difficult, especially when you have children. I always find myself apologizing before hand if it sounds like someone is getting murdered in the backround. :eek:
I agree it does take time. I am trying to approach my calls that I am helping them with their products and then asking them about my newsletter, specials, or the opportunity..depending on how I am received.

I am still scared!I have a Script that i have combined from CC, and the files on here. PM me if you are interested. I used to physically SHAKE I was SO nervous about doing CCC, with this script in front of me I CAN DO IT!

My D told me, CCC should be short n sweet - you should be able to do most of your CCC within 1 hour per week!

PM me if you are interested in seeing my Script...I will email them to you.

It could go something like this: "Hi (name). This is (name) with the Pampered Chef. I am doing my CCC from (name)'s Cooking Show. I wanted to check in to see how your products are doing!" Then go down your list of services (Hosting -- or as I say it 'specials' -- for some reason I can't ask someone if they are interested in Hosting. Email Newsletter, they don't need to be a guest to place an order, etc.)

Does this help?

Thank you for that short but sweet phone dialoge Jenna!
I am SOOOO in the Same boat as you all! I have the Hugest Phone Phobia Problem! And when I do use scripts I sound like a total Automated Robot! :(
I've gone as far as looking into hypnosis it's soo bad! But I know I need to get over it NOW to better my business!

Ive learned to pick up the phone but that was the HARDEST thing for me to do at first. I still email alot. I think the reason it is so hard for me is that I personally do not like getting sales type calls and I know our customer care calls are not that but still some people may feel they are. When I am home relaxing, I dont like phone calls period unless its my family or close friends!

Cindycooks said:
Ive learned to pick up the phone but that was the HARDEST thing for me to do at first. I still email alot. I think the reason it is so hard for me is that I personally do not like getting sales type calls and I know our customer care calls are not that but still some people may feel they are. When I am home relaxing, I dont like phone calls period unless its my family or close friends!
That is Exactly how I feel about CC calls too!:(

So do emails actually work for you guys....but making the occasional phone helps? Or do the phone calls make the difference?

Cindycooks said:

I don't like the phone at all. I cringe whenever it rings...no matter who it is!!!
I just got a CDs that I am going to listen to. One is called "Get on The Phone" and the other is "What are YOU Afraid Of?" I'll let you know if I get any helpful ideas after I listen to them.

CccI have posted this on other threads...but if you are anything like me - I CAN NEVER FIND THEM! :) So, here you all go and I hope it helps!

Customer Care Calls

“Hi. This is Jenna Grant, your Pampered Chef Consultant. Is now a good time?”

IF THEY ANSWER ‘NO’: “I am doing Customer Care Calls. When is a better time to reach you?”

LEVELS OF SERVICE:
How are you enjoying your products?
Do you need any recipes?
Would you like to be added to the monthly Newsletter List (specials, recipes, etc.)
I would like to let you know about up-coming Specials.

OTHER CUSTOMER CARE CALLS:
PAST HOST (1-6 months): “I had a lot of fun with you and your friends at your Show. Are you, or someone you know, interested in Hosting?”

PAST HOST (6-12 months): “I had a really great time doing your Show in (month). Theirs is a new catalogue out and your Past Host Discount is soon to expire. Would you be interested in Hosting again?”

POTENTIAL HOST:
“It’s been so nice to meet you at (name). You said were interested in Hosting – is that something you want to do anytime soon?”
OR
“My average Host earns about $(dollars) in FREE product of their choice, AND a savings of $(dollars)!”

CATALOGUE SHOW HOST: “I would still love for you to receive free products. Did you know that you can have the same great host Benefits by sharing catalogues with people you know?”

IF ‘NO’: “Can you think of anyone else who might be interested?”

POTENTIAL RECRUIT:
It’s been so nice to meet you at (name). You expressed interested in learning more about the Pampered Chef business opportunity. We have a Training Meeting on the (date). Or would you prefer to meet with me one-on-one so we can talk more. *If they are not interested in Joining, ask about Hosting.*
OR
“I don’t know if you’ve ever considered a home-based business, but if I gave you a little information about our company, would you be willing to take a look at it?”
IF ‘NO’: “Does anyone else come to mind that might enjoy earning extra money?”
“Would you be interested in getting together with friends at a Cooking Show?”

PREFERRED CUSTOMER:
We had such a great time at (name)’s Show. Did you know she saved $(amount) for Hosting a Show? You are obviously a big fan of the Pampered Chef. Have you ever thought about having your own Show? I also do Catalogue Shows.

UP-COMING SPECIALS:
I wanted to tell you about some up-coming specials. You had expressed interest in (product). Would you be interested in purchasing it, or even better – earning it for free!

At this time of year, I get in-touch with Customers to let them know about new products, specials, and up-date them on the latest news from the Pampered Chef.

THEME SHOWS: “We’ve just introduced 3 new Shows that are so much fun.”
New Products: “Our new product introduction to the season is one of the best I’ve ever seen.”

*What ever the reason for calling is, always tie it to the business opportunity, hosting, and all the other services you offer.*

CLOSING:
Well, I really appreciate your time tonight. Is there anything else I can help you with? You can contact me anytime – by email or phone. Have a great night!

casual phone-callWhen I do it this way, I feel like I have told them my excuse for calling (CCC) and when I have started off by asking how their products are doing -- It seems to relax the whole conversation/situation. It makes the Consultant seem to be compassionate and REALLY interested in helping EACH customer. I think this might help you! :)

Best of Luck! - Jenna

I am just so happy reading this thread! I'm not alone! I'm actually OK speaking with a positive person, it's just the whole making the initial call, even if it's host coaching. I guess a lot of it is a phobia thing, but also that desire not to be obligating anyone or annoying someone. One thing I have done is to stick with PC no matter how nervous I feel about calls. It's all about living outside the comfort zone and doing what I can, even if it is very limited and makes me feel uncomfortable. It will eventually help me grow as a person. It may be not be 3-2-1, but it's more than I was doing before PC and that is something I can be proud of.
Jessica

I have posted this else where this is the short version. To start this year I decided to connect with all my past contacts (500). Although I don't have the email address for all of them. I did post in my Jan newsletter that I would be calling to update my customer files. I have found it makes my calls easier because now they are expecting me to call.
lorna

afwife98439 said:
So do emails actually work for you guys....but making the occasional phone helps? Or do the phone calls make the difference?
Honestly, my emails are nothing without phone calls to back them up. Like this morning, I sent out an email to my e-clients, letting them know about the stones being discontinued, so they can purchase them at 20% off before they're gone. No responses yet (most are at church anyways; i'm home sick) but will probably not hear anything until I make my phone calls on Tuesday night. The phone is my best friend when it comes to gaining any kind of business. PERIOD.

I have a problem picking up the phone, too. Which is why I took the Phone Phobia workshop at Leadership. It had a LOT of fantastic information. A big point was to USE the materials HO has put together for us! There's a customer care call script in the online training center. Almost any call can be done following that script. And please note that the sections of it are choices, you don't read all of it for every call. The speaker, Virginia Stein from HO training dept., also made the point that the best way to get over fear is to do what you're afraid of.BTW- the Leadership workshop recordings will be available online on CC in MP3 format in several weeks. No charge!! So we'll be able to get the great training for FREE! (Don't you love this company?)

Ooouuhh, thanks for sharing Ann that's awesome to know! I soo need training on phone phobia!

I know how you all feel! I don't really have a phone phobia to say, it's just that I find excuses not to do it! I work my biz when I'm at my shows and I'm getting better at doing it when I'm running errands. But I do not call people! I know that I could jump to a whole 'nuther level if I'd do that! I do call people who have expressed and interest, I just don't do the CCC calls or the OOB calls. That is a goal of mine for this year - start doing it!

It's a goal for my business this year too. I am so excited to hear that the workshops will be available on CC for everyone! Yippeee!!!

Wow! I am not alone with this issue! lol I love this site so much and all the info. Ya'll really are such a HUGE support. Thank you for sharing and this has given me some confidence to get on the phone....Urgg...It's my downfall but I know if I want my biz to go anywhere I need to do it and be consistent. Thank you guys for sharing!!

If you are new in this business and you have friends and family that you are comfortable with doing your first few shows, ask them if you can practice on them. This way you are still doing what you need to do (they don't realize this!) and getting some practice under your belt. I did this when I started and it helped alot. I just realize that if I don't call them, they won't call me! Use email as a last resort, it's so easy just to send an email but it's not very personable and can sometimes get lost, deleted, sent to junk mail, etc so you never know that the host/customer got it in the first place.

Using a script will help to. Keeps you on track and reminds you of what points you want to cover. That way you aren't "um"ing alot trying to think of what to say.

chefann said:
I have a problem picking up the phone, too. Which is why I took the Phone Phobia workshop at Leadership. It had a LOT of fantastic information. A big point was to USE the materials HO has put together for us! There's a customer care call script in the online training center. Almost any call can be done following that script. And please note that the sections of it are choices, you don't read all of it for every call.

The speaker, Virginia Stein from HO training dept., also made the point that the best way to get over fear is to do what you're afraid of.

BTW- the Leadership workshop recordings will be available online on CC in MP3 format in several weeks. No charge!! So we'll be able to get the great training for FREE! (Don't you love this company?)

HIGHLY RECOMMEND This workshop...if you can get the mp3 do it! This was by far the best one I attended!

Here are some of my notes from that workshop:

#1 Tape a $100 bill to your phone (fake of course)
#2 Fear is:
F antasized
E xperiences
A ppearing
R eal
#3 Do what you are AFRAID of doing!
#4 When you project negativity (fear of being pushy or rejected) thru the phone when you call, you will get rejected!
#5 She recommended a book called "Cold Calling for Women" by Wendy Weiss

riggs62 said:
#2 Fear is:
F antasized
E xperiences
A ppearing
R eal
I've also heard it is False Evidence Appearing Real. Both are really good!

Phone CallsI aam the same way. I borrowed an audio CD from my director that has been pretty helpful so far, it is about how the phone is your best tool. I think it would be helpful for you.
I can't find it right now to tell you the author, but she is a well known speaker for PC that offers many products to us.
Sorry I can't help more than that.

here is what I teach my TEAM:

1. start with friends and family-practice your calls on them-you could wind up recruiting them!
2. call with a purpose-be it CC, a "challenge from my Director", checking on outside order folks
3. put a mirror in front of you-people can hear you smile!
4. start with the hardest offer first-the opportunity, then bookings, then a recipe. This way, if there are "no's", you can always end on a positive yes b/c who is gonna say no to a great recipe?!
5. do it, do it, do it.....the more you "just do it", the easier it will get!

I can promise that #5 is true-a few years ago, my Director had us do a booking blitz at a cluster meeting and I almost passed out from the fear of having to do those calls under pressure! It has been one of my challenges to myself to just get over that fear and work it!

Your not alone... I have the same problem......

PamperedTammy said:
So maybe if you have a good friend, or sister that you could role play that may help you feel a little more confident about talking on the phone. Hope this helps. :)

I did this last week, and at the end of the call, she said "what dates do you have open in Feb? I want to get 2 items at 60% off!!" She booked a show!!!:p :D

chefann said:
I have a problem picking up the phone, too. Which is why I took the Phone Phobia workshop at Leadership. It had a LOT of fantastic information. A big point was to USE the materials HO has put together for us! There's a customer care call script in the online training center. Almost any call can be done following that script. And please note that the sections of it are choices, you don't read all of it for every call.

The speaker, Virginia Stein from HO training dept., also made the point that the best way to get over fear is to do what you're afraid of.

BTW- the Leadership workshop recordings will be available online on CC in MP3 format in several weeks. No charge!! So we'll be able to get the great training for FREE! (Don't you love this company?)
Do you know when these will be available?

No, they didn't say when they'd be available. When EKO was handling the recordings, they'd ship about 6 weeks after Leadership/Conference. So probably in that same time frame (just a guess, though).

Because if you go to CC there is a MP3 on recruiting, but I don't think that is the one your were talking about right?

Nope. I'm sure they'll have them identified as Leadership recordings.

We were just talking about this at the my cluster meeting last night! I think many of us are in this boat, me included.

Jeanna thanks for the wording, that is my biggest fear! Saying something that comes across as rude or pushy!! :chef:

I think part of my problem with the phone is that I'm not prepared for the phone call. I stumble through my words, I dig through my paperwok, and say things like "I just lost my train of thought". When really I'm just not prepared. I'm going to sit down today & go through scripts & specials.

The following Franklin Covey Quote of the Week seemed appropriate to share:"That which we persist in doing becomes easier for us to do. Not that the nature of the thing itself has changed but our power to do it is increased." Ralph Waldo Emerson
1803-1882In other words, just make yourself make those calls. It will get easier with time. Plus, if you need a bit more incentive, I'll share my most recent story. Last week I was making my standard calls. One of the women I spoke to said that she hadn't seen a catalog in years because she'd been out of the country. (She had ordered online from a friend's show.) She lives in another state and doesn't know any consultants there. She asked if we had added any new stoneware in the last few years. I assured her we had, pointed out that it was currently on sale, and offered to put a catalog in the next day's mail. Today she placed a $49 order on my website. I doubt she would have ever gone back to my website if I hadn't made that call.

Related to I Know This Seems Weird...but Its Hendering My Business..

1. How can I overcome my fear of calling people for my Pampered Chef business?

It is completely normal to feel nervous about making phone calls, especially when it comes to promoting your business. One way to overcome this fear is to practice with a friend or family member. You can also try writing down a script or talking points beforehand to help you feel more prepared. Another helpful tip is to remember that you are offering a valuable product and service that people will be interested in. Stay positive and confident in yourself and your business.

2. I use email a lot instead of making phone calls. Is this hindering my business?

While email can be a convenient form of communication, it is important to also utilize phone calls to connect with potential customers. This allows for a more personal and direct interaction, which can help build trust and rapport with your clients. Don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone and make those phone calls.

3. I often get nervous and stumble during phone conversations. How can I improve my communication skills?

One way to improve your communication skills is to practice. Make phone calls to friends and family first to get comfortable speaking on the phone. You can also try recording yourself and listening back to identify areas for improvement. Another helpful tip is to actively listen and ask questions during the conversation to keep it flowing smoothly.

4. Have other Pampered Chef consultants experienced this fear of calling people?

Yes, it is common for individuals to have a fear of making phone calls, especially when it comes to promoting their business. However, many successful Pampered Chef consultants have overcome this fear and have found success in their business. Don't be afraid to reach out to other consultants for support and advice.

5. What advice do you have for someone struggling with a fear of making phone calls for their Pampered Chef business?

First and foremost, remember that it is normal to feel nervous and it takes practice to overcome this fear. Don't be too hard on yourself if you stumble during a phone call. Keep practicing and remember that you are offering a valuable product and service. Also, try to stay positive and confident in yourself and your business. Seek support and advice from other consultants and don't be afraid to step out of your comfort zone. With time and practice, you will become more comfortable and confident in making phone calls for your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
MrsNetNut404
  • A Pampered Kitchen
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
ShelbyMichalek
  • blarrabee