• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Struggling with Overcoming Fear of Making Phone Calls in My Business?

In summary, the workshop recommended that you remind yourself that the phone doesn’t say ring, ring it says “ching, ching!” and by picking up the phone you can and will make money. They also recommended that you remind people what is in it for them or ask them for help. They also recommended that you don’t take no for an answer and that you face your fear and do it.
Humble Beginnings
Ok, so I had a great training call with my director yesterday. We talked about my successess and some of my challenges. The challenge right now is that I currently do not have anyone scheduled for the end of this month and September. I LOVE this business and so much want to continue doing well. She has challenged me to confirm 2 bookings before our cluster meeting on Tuesday. My problem is that I have people to call but everytime I go to pick up the phone I can not overcome the whole phone thing!! UGH. I get all nervous and just keeping putting it off. I would want nothing more than to tell her "No I didn't book 2 shows, I booked 4 or even more". I know a lot of struggle with the phone but I just need some advice and overcoming this fear that I feel inside so that I can succeed in this business. Thank you

Okay, so first off...I am not good at this either. But I say to myself "Self, you want the bookings, you want to do a good job, so get on the phone." I try to remember the Lemon Aid Lady's words that the telephone doesn't say "ring, ring" it says CA-CHING!!! Like a cash register. By picking up the phone you can and will make money.
Mention to everyone what is in it for them or ask them for help. It is tough b/c I have heard people say ask them to help you...but I find that I get better hostesses and such when I let them know how I can help them.
Does that make sense? I hope it helps somewhat.

First, you are not alone - fear of the phone is a frequent thread here.

I highly recommend reviewing notes from the Phone Courage workshop (National Conference) Log into CC, then click the link for conference details on the left. Scroll all the way down and you'll see a link for handouts for Phone Courage. It covers a lot of what phone fear is about, and how to manage it.

You can do it!

Also- you could tell people that you are on a booking blitz, and you want to win by having the most booked shows- if they book a show with you over the phone, you'll give them a free spice or a free seasons best... Good Luck!

Think about it this way: the worst they can say is "no, thank you" and even if they do, you're haven't lost anything. You're exactly where you started, if not a bit further along because you're that much further on your list.

And this is a biggie for me too: The no is not personal. They're not saying no to you, just the booking :)

pampered.chris said:
Okay, so first off...I am not good at this either. But I say to myself "Self, you want the bookings, you want to do a good job, so get on the phone." I try to remember the Lemon Aid Lady's words that the telephone doesn't say "ring, ring" it says CA-CHING!!! Like a cash register. By picking up the phone you can and will make money.
Mention to everyone what is in it for them or ask them for help. It is tough b/c I have heard people say ask them to help you...but I find that I get better hostesses and such when I let them know how I can help them.
Does that make sense? I hope it helps somewhat.

That's just what they told us in our phone courage workshop at conference too:thumbup:
Go to consultants' corner, & download the conference notes from that workshop...it'll help you a lot! Also the customer care script.
Fear stands for:
Fantasized
Experiences
Appearing
Real
Too often, we think too much about what's going to happen on the phone....we just need to do it! "Do the thing you fear the most, and that's the death of the fear". I'll try to attach my bullet points of the workshop...I thought it was great! (and I helped lead a training on this subject today at my regional meeting)

It wouldn't let me attach my file.....I copy/pasted:

“Most of fear is self-created. Most of us live under the illusion that things outside of us are causing our fear...But remember, while the experience of the fear will be very real to you, the source of the fear is in your own mind.”
The Alladin Factor, Jack Canfield & Mark Victor Hansen

FEAR
Fantasized
Experiences
Appearing
Real

*3 Factors that make you fearful of making business phone calls:
1. Projection-a defense mechanism where you “project” to others your own undesirable thoughts, motivations, desires and feelings.
2. Unrealistic expectations. (No’s are normal!)
3. Fear of the unknown. (Face the thing you fear the most, & that’s the death of the fear!)

*Good Habits:
-mark show dates you want to fill on calendar
-ask for best time to call
-block time for calls (don’t find time...make time!)
-choose an accountability partner
-don’t over-analyze
-smile...then dial!
-put fake $100 bill on your phone

*Action Plan:
-do what you’re afraid of doing
-block time to make calls
-follow 3-2-1 plan
-use customer care outline
-use “no is no problem” tool
-change voice mail message on answering machine

Thank you for all the advice. I wasn't aware of the note on CC. I did pick up the phone, spoke to one potential host, she wasn't ready to book but possibly will in the future, called 2 more and left voice messages. Someone mentioned a rotating phone list here once. For people you haven't asked or were outside orders to you call them consistently to see if they are interested in hosting until you hear no? I guess when I thought about the calls I need to make I have the MAC call, the customer care call is there anything else. How do you all handle the calls you need to make? Sorry for all the questions. Just trying to keep this going.

1. How can I overcome my fear of public speaking?

One effective way to overcome the fear of public speaking is to practice and prepare thoroughly. This will help boost your confidence and reduce anxiety. You can also try deep breathing exercises or visualization techniques to help calm your nerves.

2. What if I have a fear of failure?

First, it's important to recognize that everyone experiences failure at some point in their lives. Instead of letting the fear control you, try reframing it as a learning opportunity. Focus on what you can learn from the experience and how it can help you grow. Seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist can also be helpful in overcoming this fear.

3. How do I overcome my fear of trying new things?

Start by taking small steps and setting achievable goals. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the potential benefits and positive outcomes of trying new things. Surrounding yourself with supportive and encouraging people can also give you the confidence to step out of your comfort zone.

4. What if my fear is holding me back in my career?

If your fear is affecting your career growth, it's important to address it. Start by identifying the root cause of your fear and then work on finding strategies to overcome it. Seeking support from a mentor or a career coach can also be beneficial in addressing and overcoming your fear.

5. How can I overcome my fear of rejection?

One way to overcome the fear of rejection is to change your perspective. Instead of seeing it as a personal failure, view it as a natural part of life and an opportunity to learn and grow. Building self-confidence and practicing self-care can also help in overcoming this fear. It's also important to remember that rejection is not a reflection of your worth as a person.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• loreedfk
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
lacychef
  • Humble Beginnings
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • Bill Faber