• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Getting Business and Bookings When You Know No One.

In summary, Scott is moving to a new area, and needs help with starting up her business. She meets someone who can help her, but there are still some hurdles to overcome.
ShelbyMichalek
Situation:
I'll be moving to a new area 1400 miles away from where I'm currently located. I'm moving because my husband is currently at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, MS. I'll be relocating to Gulfport, MS and living about 10 miles from the base.

I need help! I would love to hit Gulfport with full Pampered Chef force!
I need to start up my business there RIGHT away and I need help figuring out how to do this.
I know NO ONE in Gulfport except my husband and he's a "Tech Trainee" on the base. He may know a few instructors who's wives would do a show, but I am NOT going to count on that. So I'm just pretending that won't happen and praying that it might. (Edit: I did meet one consultant here on CS that lives in that area)

Can anyone who has moved their business to a new area like this give me any pointers? And anyone else who thinks they can help me out, please do so!!

Thanks!

So you need to be a walking billboard. Have your catalog tote wherever you go. Take OLD catalogs and leave them all around town with your contact information and one of the old catalog poems that is around.

Do some door knocking. Be friendly and forward with people. Promise yourself you will have 3 live discussions with people about Pampered Chef a minimum of 5 days a week and you will see your business blossom!

Attachments

• WhenBOokingsGetLow.doc
    48 KB · Views: 707
  • Sales Difficult.doc
    28 KB · Views: 451
  • Old Catalog Poem.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 614
Thanks Scott, but I don't have word and can't open those documents:blushing:. I know, :eek:!

ShelbyMichalek said:
Thanks Scott, but I don't have word and can't open those documents:blushing:. I know, :eek:!

I don't have Word, either - you don't need it!
Download Open Office (open office.org - it's free!) It works with any computer, and will open just about any document.

Becky, how does that work? I tried to download that 3 times and it never works.

Wow, I don't know, Shelby - I've downloaded it onto 2 different PC's and onto my MAC, and never had an issue. It just downloads, and then I use it. :)

It looks and acts just like a Word Program. :confused:

I have heard of it before from a friend of mine and it never works.

Back to the original subject....anyone else have any good ideas?
By the way, thank you to DAVE for being an awesome friend and helping me out ;)

< AWESOME and bitchy!

I saved Scott's documents as pdf documents. Hopefully you can read them now - they are really good and should be able to help you out. Good luck!

Attachments

• WhenBOokingsGetLow.pdf
    11.9 KB · Views: 779
  • Sales Difficult.pdf
    46 KB · Views: 385
  • Old Catalog Poem.pdf
    4.5 KB · Views: 543
Thank you Lori!! I really appreciate the effort you've done for that! Thank you so much.

Any more advice? I still need some help :O

Just in time for hurricane season. Lucky you.

Don't go there Bobby. I'm already freaked out about that.

Shelby, If the base has a newspaper check to see how much the ads are. Most times they are free or pretty cheap. Join local clubs. If Hubby is down there now, ask him to pick up some newspapers or club info and drop it in the mail. If you will be in an apartment or base housing - ask about putting up a flyer or doing an open house (maybe at the club house). Once you get down there, get info right away for the spouse's group. Join a Mommy & Me group. Good Luck!
Beckie

Get connected with the PWOC group there (if you're not opposed). Our group here is awesome and very supportive.

nikked said:
Get connected with the PWOC group there (if you're not opposed). Our group here is awesome and very supportive.

I feel stupid asking, but what is PWOC?

Also, to a previous poster, I will be living off base but will have access to all on-base amenities.

Where do you leave the old catalogs? Do you ever catch flack from places for leaving them?

ShelbyMichalek said:
I feel stupid asking, but what is PWOC?

Also, to a previous poster, I will be living off base but will have access to all on-base amenities.

not a problem...I often forget that not everyone has heard of it!

PWOC is Protestent Women of the Chapel. Basically, a non-denominational, non-Catholic Ladies' Bible Study group. Our PWOC does an annual women's retreat, as well as weekly Bible studies and ladies' nights out once a month. It's a great way to connected at a new base.

Also, you can look for an Officer's wife's club (if your hubby is one of course), or enlisted wife's club, whichever is appropriate. Our base has an officer's wife club and an all ranks, all civilians, retired, etc. spouses' club, but no enlisted club.

Go to Yahoo and search for groups with the name of your base, and base acronym. For instance, I belong to a group that meets once a month for a game night and other adventures. We have a Yahoo group under "KAFBPO-KE-NO", so if someone types "kafb" into the search engine, they'll find us. Our spouses' group is listed under "kirtland", so that's how they're found. You might find some fun groups of ladies to join with and start networking before you get there.

Okay...apparently my brain is working again...

Your hubby should have a sponsor...see if that sponsor has a wife you can talk with. She just might be your first show! Let her know about your business and the trials and tribulations of moving a business when you don't know anyone in the new area...

Ask your friends/contacts in your current location if they know anyone at the new location and offer some sort of referral bonus if someone books a show with you...

See if your hubby's squadron has a booster club, and get involved with that. I have done fundraisers for our booster club and have had many successful lines of shows through those.

See if your hubby's squadron has a spouses' club...one of my first recruits came from our squadron's spouses' club...

Hmmmm...think the brainstorming juices just ran out...hope that helps!

nikked said:
not a problem...I often forget that not everyone has heard of it!

PWOC is Protestent Women of the Chapel. Basically, a non-denominational, non-Catholic Ladies' Bible Study group. Our PWOC does an annual women's retreat, as well as weekly Bible studies and ladies' nights out once a month. It's a great way to connected at a new base.

Thanks for all of your advice. I'm actually not thinking of joining the PWOC. I'm Catholic ;) However everything else you said sounds interesting, I'll have to do some googling after the lil guy gets to bed.

ShelbyMichalek said:
Thanks for all of your advice. I'm actually not thinking of joining the PWOC. I'm Catholic ;) However everything else you said sounds interesting, I'll have to do some googling after the lil guy gets to bed.

Just so that you know, even though it's technically "Protestant", at our base at least, we have many Catholic ladies joining the studies and retreats.

There may also be a Catholic ladies' group at your new base that may be a good place to check out!

Hey,
Just to let you know you are NOT allowed to post flyers or leave catalogs anywhere on base. Its a BIG no-no!!! My husband is a cop on base so I know its not tolerated and your husband can get in trouble from you doing it. I dont want to be discouraging but ive had a hard time getting bookings here. My team leader and I even did a booth at a pretty big street fair and got NOTHING from it, we actually lost money from it. Ive had two shows down here since Oct. and all my other business has came from my customers that live in other states.

My husband has 2 aunts who live in Ocean Springs (about 20 miles away), if you want I can ask & see if either of them would be interested in hosting a cooking show for you. If so, let me know when you would be there. Are you going to do the "DITY" (do it yourself) move or let the military pack up everything & take it for you? With the DITY, you have to pay for the u-haul, etc. & then be reimbursed, but you don't have to wait for your stuff to arrive. if you let the military do it for you, you have to sit & wait for your stuff to arrive. Either way, make sure you pack some catalogs, host packs, and enough stuff to start doing shows in your car! That way, you don't have to find the right box to unpack upon your arrival!!! ;)

I'm doing the DITY move. It's really a volutary move so I actually wouldn't get reimbursed either.
I do plan on packing my small show kit (basically just the starter kit and my tta) in the car because I'm doing a show for my husband's aunt just 2 days (!!) before we leave for MS.
I'll consider doing a show for your hubby's aunts, but don't you think that would be unfair to you? They're really your customers Sheila and I love how you've been such a great supporter of myself and all the other consultants on here, but you don't have to be that nice!!!

I think I already knew about not leaving flyers or catalogs on the base. I'm actually not trying to focus my business to the base (although I will try to get business there). I'm more just wanting to get business THERE where ever "there" may be, in Gulfport/Biloxi.

During Jan. and Feb. we were traveling, and staying at camp grounds in Florida. Out of the blue, at a pot luck, while wearing my Logo wear PC sweatshirt, a lady asked if I was an active PC, and said I should do a party while camping there. Fortunately, we were staying 13 days, so I booked a party for one week later. It was $550. I then mentioned that to a reservation clerk at the next campground, and she said she would be my hostess, and to plan on doing a party at their camp ground. That one was $400. I had better sales away from home than I had been able to do the year before when I was home. Look for a local CURVES, to join. That has been a great source of sales and parties for me. It is a great place to network with women of all ages.

Grandmarita said:
During Jan. and Feb. we were traveling, and staying at camp grounds in Florida. Out of the blue, at a pot luck, while wearing my Logo wear PC sweatshirt, a lady asked if I was an active PC, and said I should do a party while camping there. Fortunately, we were staying 13 days, so I booked a party for one week later. It was $550. I then mentioned that to a reservation clerk at the next campground, and she said she would be my hostess, and to plan on doing a party at their camp ground. That one was $400. I had better sales away from home than I had been able to do the year before when I was home. Look for a local CURVES, to join. That has been a great source of sales and parties for me. It is a great place to network with women of all ages.

Wow! Now THAT is inspiring! Thank you. Since I've been having really bad insomnia lately (3:30 a.m. some nights :eek:) I've got a notebook that I'm writing stuff down, googling, searching the forums here, more googling, etc. I'm sooo serious about making this business BOOM while I'm down there that I'm going CRAZY. Thanks!! I'll look into Curves :D

There used to be a CD on supply order called "Move it Don't Lose It" - it's FANTASTIC...see if you can order it or borrow it from someone

I too am in the process of moving, not as far but defientlty a new start... Yesterday, as I was going around the new town helping my daughter with her history homework, we walked into the police station, city hall, and public library and in each conversation, managed to add info about my PC buisness, now I have one order and 2 shows possible. Maybe that will work for you, also you could checkout local vendor events.

I live in Slidell,La. Not to far from Gulfport,Ms. What I find very successful is to present a business card or a mini catalog to the person behind the counter as you are checking out. They hand you a receipt and then you hand them a mini catalog or business card and say something like "This is what I do. Have you ever heard of the Pampered Chef". I have gotten so many leads for shows just by doing this one thing.

Judy Theriot said:
I live in Slidell,La. Not to far from Gulfport,Ms. What I find very successful is to present a business card or a mini catalog to the person behind the counter as you are checking out. They hand you a receipt and then you hand them a mini catalog or business card and say something like "This is what I do. Have you ever heard of the Pampered Chef". I have gotten so many leads for shows just by doing this one thing.

Thank you! I may need to do that. I carry my tote with me everywhere and I hold it so obviously so that someone else will start talking about it. I may need to just make that first move!

Check this out http://www.keeslerspousesclub.com/
I bet you could do a party for them, even offer a fundraiser show!

JustAMom said:
Check this out http://www.keeslerspousesclub.com/
I bet you could do a party for them, even offer a fundraiser show!

Thanks. I found the Keesler Spouses Club already, sadly I won't be able to join because I will only be there for a few months and I don't want to pay a yearly membership fee. But it might be worth calling them to offer a fundraiser.

Anyone else? Bumping for the afternoon/evening...

ShelbyMichalek said:
I'll consider doing a show for your hubby's aunts, but don't you think that would be unfair to you? They're really your customers Sheila and I love how you've been such a great supporter of myself and all the other consultants on here, but you don't have to be that nice!!!

Oh, trust me. When I talk to them on Skype, their main interest is how the kids are doing. We've never even talked Pampered Chef. I've never even asked either one of them if they were interested in buying anything or asked either of them to host a catalog show. We are prohibited from using the military mail for business purposes, so I can't even send host packets to people in the states. I'm restricted to doing catalog shows with people who are here on the island with me.

I'll be in Texas in May, and I think they are going to be there the weekend that I'm doing Cooking Shows. My MIL is attending, so I'll have the aunts tag along too to introduce them to the products and let them know that they can hold a show in their own town too! ;)

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to go from Japan (or Dallas) to Ocean Springs to do a show, so I don't mind helping you if I can. I truly believe "what goes around, comes around" and the whole "pay it forward" mentality. I have 2 of my friends here on Okinawa who have contacted their friends in my new duty station in Atsugi and are getting me some shows established to help me get my business up & off the ground there. So I really don't mind trying to do the same for someone else! Plus, military wives have to stick together! LOL

Oh, but I need to know when you arrive before I call them to ask if they would be interested in hosting a Cooking Show! ;)

See if you can have a booth at the commissary or exchange. There are 2 bases here that allow consultants from several business to have a booth there once a wk. The PC gals that talked about it at our meeting said she does enough to make a show a week.

Sheila said:
.....I'll be in Texas in May, and I think they are going to be there the weekend that I'm doing Cooking Shows. My MIL is attending, so I'll have the aunts tag along too to introduce them to the products and let them know that they can hold a show in their own town too! ;)

Obviously, I'm not going to be able to go from Japan (or Dallas) to Ocean Springs to do a show, so I don't mind helping you if I can. I truly believe "what goes around, comes around" and the whole "pay it forward" mentality. I have 2 of my friends here on Okinawa who have contacted their friends in my new duty station in Atsugi and are getting me some shows established to help me get my business up & off the ground there. So I really don't mind trying to do the same for someone else! Plus, military wives have to stick together! LOL

I guess that makes a whole lot of sense!! Thanks! Sure, you can refer them to me, that would be great!
You're right, and I've actually been helped so much by the wife of a retired Master Sergeant that I really hope I can be as much help to others one day and she (and YOU) are to me.

I'll be moving into Gulfport on April 17th-18th and I'll be there until at least the end of June. (beyond that...not sure!)

ShelbyMichalek said:
I guess that makes a whole lot of sense!! Thanks! Sure, you can refer them to me, that would be great!
You're right, and I've actually been helped so much by the wife of a retired Master Sergeant that I really hope I can be as much help to others one day and she (and YOU) are to me.

I'll be moving into Gulfport on April 17th-18th and I'll be there until at least the end of June. (beyond that...not sure!)

I live in Saucier, Ms which is right out side of Gulfport. I can't help you with bookings as I am struggling right now myself, but wanted to let you know that there is a fellow chefsuccesser near by if you ever want to grab a coffee and talk Pampered Chef!

pamperedpartridge said:
I live in Saucier, Ms which is right out side of Gulfport. I can't help you with bookings as I am struggling right now myself, but wanted to let you know that there is a fellow chefsuccesser near by if you ever want to grab a coffee and talk Pampered Chef!

Awesome! Of course I wouldn't take your bookings, you're too close! But I would absolutely love to meet you! Do you attend your cluster meetings? I'm looking for a group to go to and I have one option but I wonder if there is one closer.

Local business: Pampered a Business. There are a lot of flyers on here to tell you about that. Pick one a week to do. I moved less than an hour This is what I did:
* ad in local paper (got me at least two bookings a month and a recruit!)
* talk PC everywhere I go
*ask businesses if you can put information out. (Bridal boutiques, etc.)
* non-profit organizations that may need fundraisers (I offered to teach a class once a month to a local woman's shelter. From there, they had me do a fundraiser)
* Habitat For Humanity, etc. there are many organizations that groups are traveling in the summer and need a fundraiser
*I talked to the cashier's at stores and handed out my literature.
*definitely ask friends if they have referrals for your new area.

Okay, so here's what I've done so far! Keep the advice coming though please!

1) Emailed spouses club, got a "maybe" answer on a fundraiser and a couple possible bookings!
2) Made up a list of newspapers to contact.
3) Checked out craigslist for used furniture (that we'll need) and I got the great idea that I could give business cards and info to the people we buy furniture from!
4) Started looking over resumes for babysitters in that area (via craigslist) and also thought...hey I could add a few more people to my LO100 that way!!

Next plans of action
1) Try very hard to write up a press release (Dave's idea) despite my extreme lack of journalism skills.
2) Contact a cluster in that area to see about hospitality.
3) Call my friend Deb who lives around here but grew up in Biloxi, MS (I didn't know this until a couple weeks ago!) and ask for referrals for her mom and sister who still live there!
Can't do this until I get there:
4) Pamper at least 1 business a week.

Any other good ideas?

Hey Shelby, if you get to Southern California, I'll even make a cup of coffee for you. Yay! Lets have coffee and discuss.

LOL, you caught that too!!! I knew you would if you stopped by ;)

:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Sounds great! You can do it! On the pamper a business, put it on your calendar as a set date. It will keep you doing it. I put on the calendar the name of the place, and the pick up date, so I keep it like a scheduled show.

Put your business cards everywhere! Make sure they have your website on them too (if you have them). Give them to everyone you meet. Let them know you are new to the area and are trying to get the word out. Ask if they themselves or someone they know might be interested.

Get a decal on your car/van/whatever you drive. I have been stopped a number of times at the store and gas station. Have mini catalogs on you at all times. Or recipe cards.

Talk to the office people at your dentist, dr, etc. about hosting a show in the office or on their own. If no interest ask if they can put cards or a flyer in the break room.

Don't rule out catalog shows. If you moved and are not getting the shows you want, contact the people you know all over the country and ask them to do a catalog show for you to help you stay active. Contact everyone in your email contacts too.

Put flyers around your neighborhood or do a "launch" at your new place. Great way to meet the neighbors and have your first show.

Mother's Day is coming up so maybe the men you know will be interested in getting something for the wife that way?

Placemats at local diners. Newspaper. Postings at the grocery or library.

That's off the top of my head. Hope something will help you!
Janis

Try leaving the catalog at the recreation center, the hobby center (where the pottery and scrapbookers go), the bowling center, and the commisary (maybe where they put the coupons or coupon books), as well as the Officers Club and NCO club.

I sold Tupperware many years ago, at the NCO club, and did great! Try joining every club you can, on and off base, and market to those people.

Gigi
Retired Master Sergeant

ShelbyMichalek said:
Awesome! Of course I wouldn't take your bookings, you're too close! But I would absolutely love to meet you! Do you attend your cluster meetings? I'm looking for a group to go to and I have one option but I wonder if there is one closer.

We'll definently get together! I don't attend a cluster meeting here. My cluster is in Cypress, TX. I did meet a hospitality here, but it wasn't a good fit for me.

Hey girls, ill get with my team leader and see if we can get a meeting going on our own!!! Would you be interested since all of our clusters are out of state?

<h2>1. What are the best ways to network and make connections in a new area?</h2><p>One of the best ways to network and make connections in a new area is to join local business groups or organizations. Attend events and introduce yourself to other business owners or potential customers. You can also reach out to your local chamber of commerce or small business association for networking opportunities. Social media can also be a great way to connect with people in your new area.</p><h2>2. How can I reach out to potential customers in a new area?</h2><p>Consider hosting a launch party or open house to introduce yourself and your business to the community. You can also offer special promotions or discounts to attract new customers. Additionally, reaching out to local organizations or businesses for potential partnerships or collaborations can also help expand your customer base.</p><h2>3. What are some tips for marketing my business in a new area?</h2><p>Utilize social media platforms to target your local audience and promote your business. You can also create flyers or business cards to hand out to potential customers in your new area. Partnering with other businesses or participating in local events and community fairs can also help increase your visibility.</p><h2>4. How can I leverage my personal connections to grow my business in a new area?</h2><p>Reach out to friends and family who may have connections or know people in your new area. They can help introduce you and your business to their network. You can also ask for referrals or recommendations from your current customers to their friends or family who may live in your new area.</p><h2>5. What are some ways to make a strong first impression in a new area?</h2><p>Be confident and enthusiastic when introducing yourself and your business to potential customers. Make sure to have a professional and visually appealing online presence, including a well-designed website and social media profiles. Showing your commitment to the community by participating in local events and supporting local businesses can also help make a positive first impression.</p>

1. What are the best ways to network and make connections in a new area?

One of the best ways to network and make connections in a new area is to join local business groups or organizations. Attend events and introduce yourself to other business owners or potential customers. You can also reach out to your local chamber of commerce or small business association for networking opportunities. Social media can also be a great way to connect with people in your new area.

2. How can I reach out to potential customers in a new area?

Consider hosting a launch party or open house to introduce yourself and your business to the community. You can also offer special promotions or discounts to attract new customers. Additionally, reaching out to local organizations or businesses for potential partnerships or collaborations can also help expand your customer base.

3. What are some tips for marketing my business in a new area?

Utilize social media platforms to target your local audience and promote your business. You can also create flyers or business cards to hand out to potential customers in your new area. Partnering with other businesses or participating in local events and community fairs can also help increase your visibility.

4. How can I leverage my personal connections to grow my business in a new area?

Reach out to friends and family who may have connections or know people in your new area. They can help introduce you and your business to their network. You can also ask for referrals or recommendations from your current customers to their friends or family who may live in your new area.

5. What are some ways to make a strong first impression in a new area?

Be confident and enthusiastic when introducing yourself and your business to potential customers. Make sure to have a professional and visually appealing online presence, including a well-designed website and social media profiles. Showing your commitment to the community by participating in local events and supporting local businesses can also help make a positive first impression.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• andi330
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Lani
  • keyssizzler
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
keyssizzler
  • pampered_momma