1. Pampered Chef relies on relationships and communication. How are you managing your business in the wake of Coronavirus and social distancing? Discuss here
    Dismiss Notice

Pampered Chef: I killed my microwave! :(

1. babywings76

babywings76 Legend Member Gold Member

I made 4 batches of Loaded Baked Potato Chowder last night. On my last batch, my microwave made a weird noise. Now today, it's not working. It acts like it's working, but you check on the food and it's still cold. I'm so bummed! This is a 2 yr. old microwave and we've never had any trouble till now. Now I don't know what to do!

Sep 27, 2009
  2. Myjenny

Myjenny Novice Member Gold Member

Sometimes unplugging it and plugging it back it will reset it! Worth a try anyways!

Sep 27, 2009
  3. AJPratt

AJPratt Legend Member Silver Member

Check the warranty, it might be covered! I found some on sale at Target.

Sep 27, 2009
  4. Nanisu

Nanisu Veteran Member Gold Member

My Microwave doesn't like the DCB. It's too heavy for the turntable. I killed one about 2 years ago and had to get a new one--one where I can turn the turntable off.

Sep 27, 2009
  5. babywings76

It's always worked fine before. It could handle the DCB, I thought anyway. It turned okay. But maybe the heavy load for so long just got to be too much? I have to look into the warranty. It's a built in, so I'm afraid to touch the thing.

This has been a bad weekend for us. Our washing machine broke the other day and we just paid to get a new one. I can't handle replacing so many things at once. They say things happen in 3's...I'm dreading to find out what comes next.

Sep 27, 2009
  6. kam

kam Legacy Member Staff Member

Our washing machine has finally given up too (the water level adj stopped working - and I happened to catch the water just before it overflowed!).
    So yesterday - out I went to find a new washer & dryer! Ugh! Atleast it is being delivered on Tuesday - so I am only going a few days without doing wash.

Good luck!

Sep 27, 2009
  7. AmyDare

AmyDare Member

It probably overheated. My old microwave would overheat anytime I cooked something for 20 minutes--it would "beep" and then die for an unspecified amount of time. After it cooled, it'd start working again. I took one of my first paychecks and replaced it!
    AmyD

Sep 27, 2009
  8. crissy11

crissy11 Member Gold Member

my year and a half old microwave died also.. I was using the dcb in it... the same day our central unit went out also... ugh!!!!

Sep 27, 2009
  9. pampchefsarah

pampchefsarah Senior Member Gold Member

Hmm, I wonder if you could buy a new one and write it off on your taxes. After all, you do need it to test new recipes, etc.;)

Sep 27, 2009
  10. cathyskitchen

cathyskitchen Senior Member Gold Member

Oh, no, that stinks!! I couldn't live without my microwave!! GL and I hope you can revive it or find a cheap replacement!

11. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

That stinks!

I got one on Craigslist last year ... the turntable doesn't turn ... really cannot afford to replace it yet.

I've found you need a big micro to accomodate the DCB

12. babywings76

My dad thinks it's the magnetron tube. If that's the case, it's covered under the warranty. I called GE and they are sending a guy on Friday. It's $79.95 to have them come, but they waive that if they service it. Then it's just parts and labor. If it's the magnetron tube, then I'll just have to pay labor. Let's hope that's what it is and that it's super fast to fix. I wonder how much they charge for labor? Out of curiosity, I called the company who installed it, to see if they would be cheaper. They charge the same amount, but then I'd have to pay parts and labor in addition to the service call, they won't waive that. Cross your fingers for me! :)

Oh, my husband reminded me....this is the 3rd item. Our spare fridge in the garage broke and we replaced that a few weeks ago.

Sep 28, 2009
  13. Intrepid_Chef

Intrepid_Chef Legend Member Silver Member

My brother repairs appliances and USED TO do microwaves. He stopped because the parts were so expensive. The guy at the parts shop said they are "disposable" like vaccum cleaners.

14. Jennie4PC

Jennie4PC Legacy Member

Amanda, I sure hope it is an easy fix for you. I just replaced my vacuum cause my other vacuum died. Lets hope nothing else dies here at my house. Althogh about 6 months ago my washer and dryer were out of commssion within a week of each other

Sep 28, 2009
Have something to add?