• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is My '06 Uplander Beyond Repair? Experts Weigh In

In summary, the speaker has an '06 Uplander that has various mechanical issues, including a 'clunking' sound in the front end, an emissions light that keeps coming on, a wonky gas gauge, an ABS light that has come on with a "Service ABS System" message, and a brake light with a "Service Brake System" message. The vehicle also has issues with its computer, including the mileage resetting itself and the trip readings always being at 0000. The speaker is currently trying to figure out what is wrong with the vehicle and is concerned that it may be totaled due to severe computer troubles. They are seeking suggestions and sympathies for their situation.
crystalscookingnow
Gold Member
I've got an '06 Uplander that I'd love to drive into a brick wall so that I don't have to drive it anymore!! :eek:

What are my chances/is it worth fixing this problem?

When we first got it, there was a strange 'clunking' sound in the front end. Not mechanical, but it sounded like some bolts or something weren't on right. We took it to 3 different repair shops & none could find anything wrong. It happened mostly when we turned corners. They all said the same thing, 'It's still safe to drive', etc.

About a month ago, the emissions light came on. Took it to the mechanic, he said everything's fixed. Drove it about a week & the light came back on. While we were on vacation, our gas gauge was acting funny. We filled up with gas, drove about 30 miles & only had 1/2 a tank. We drove the rest of the way to vacation & then it went up to 3/4 tank, then back down to 1/4. After driving the rest of the vacation time, it looked as though it was working correctly. Now it's acting wonky again.

Last week, the ABS light came on. There was also a message that said 'Service ABS System'. While I was driving, it felt as though my brakes 'popped' & then they become difficult to use. I've driven a vehicle with no ABS before, so it wasn't much of a problem to me. The light would go off after a while, then it would do it again.

Saturday, there was a noise that sounded like a belt of some sort (like if you have water on a belt). Then, the brake light came on with a message of 'Service Brake System'. We quit driving it at that point.

All through owning this vehicle, the mileage resets itself. Not the odometer, but the trip readings & stuff. It's always at a 0000 mileage because the "B" trip reading is always an even number with the odometer.

Right now, we've got it in the shop trying to figure out what's wrong with it. I've heard that vehicles with severe computer troubles usually get totalled. Does anyone know if that's correct?

I just want to have my own vehicle back. I hate being reliant on someone else for a ride!

Any ideas/suggestions/sympathies? :)

Hello Crystal~

I'm sorry that you are having such problems with your car. A couple of suggestions that I might offer, just in case one of your mechanics haven't checked. I had some 'clunking' problems with my previous Jeep and it ended up being an engine mount. We have a repair shop, so it was an easy and cheap fix for dh. The Jeep also had some problems with a check engine light that repeatledy came on while it was still under warranty and after taking it to the dealer multiple times and them repeatly replacing the O2 sensor, we finally convinced them that that wasn't fixing it (I would drive off the lot and the light would pop back on :grumpy:). They finally switched out the computer board and it fixed the problem...for good.

I'm not sure if the computer board might be related to your other ongoing problems, hopefully you have a mechanic who is patient with trying to figure it out for you. Good luck!:balloon:

I'm guessing it's probably the computer with all of the things that are going wrong. Also, engine mount sounds familiar, so I'm sure that's what they 'fixed' with the clunking. It just hasn't fixed it completely.

Thanks for the advice. Any idea how much a new board for this thing is going to be? They've had the van all day & were going to start working on it this morning.

I wish I could help with a price estimate, we're a transmission shop, so the computer board thingy is a bit out of our specialty. Hopefully it won't be too much for you. I know ours was covered by the warranty and the dealer installed it. Funny thing...the same Jeep had the transmission go out under the warranty and while we have our own shop, we had to have it replaced by the dealer in order for them to pay for it. :rolleyes:

I also was trying to remember some of the other problems that were going on that the new engine mount fixed...I'll have to ask my dh about it when he gets home.

Good luck! I know how it can be a pain when you don't have your own car.:eek:

Hello there! I am sorry to hear about all the troubles you have been having with your Uplander. It sounds like you have been through a lot with this vehicle and I can understand your frustration. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I don't have any expertise in vehicle repairs, but I would highly recommend getting a second opinion from a trusted mechanic or taking it to a dealership for a diagnostic test. It is important to make sure all the issues are properly diagnosed and fixed to ensure your safety while driving. I hope everything works out for you and you are able to get your own vehicle back soon. Hang in there! :)

What is the best tool for fixing a leaky faucet?

The best tool for fixing a leaky faucet would be a set of adjustable wrenches. These can be used to tighten or loosen any bolts or nuts that may be causing the leak.

Can I use WD-40 to lubricate my tools?

While WD-40 can be used as a temporary lubricant, it is not recommended for long-term use on tools. It can attract dirt and debris, causing your tools to become less effective over time. It is best to use a specialized tool lubricant for optimal performance.

What should I do if my power tools are not working properly?

If your power tools are not working properly, the first step is to check the power source. Make sure your tool is plugged in and the outlet is functioning. If the tool still does not work, it may need to be repaired or replaced.

How often should I replace the blades on my saw?

The frequency of blade replacement depends on how often you use your saw and the type of material you are cutting. As a general rule, it is recommended to replace the blade when it becomes dull or damaged. Regularly cleaning and sharpening your blades can also extend their lifespan.

What is the best way to clean and maintain my tools?

The best way to clean and maintain your tools is to regularly wipe them down with a clean cloth after each use. For tougher grime, you can use a mild detergent and warm water. It is also important to store your tools in a dry area to prevent rust and corrosion.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • crystalscookingnow
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
JaimeQ
  • hollye44