• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Entered an Apple Pie Baking Contest

In summary, Horton was looking for a unique apple pie recipe to enter in an apple pie baking contest at work. After some suggestions from coworkers, she decided to use an Upside-Down Caramel Apple Pie recipe from the Pampered Chef cookbook. However, she ended up using her own recipe with some special twists and won the contest, earning a $100 prize. She graciously shared her winning recipe with her coworkers.
chefhorton
I entered an apple pie baking contest at work (I work at a state university) and the prize is $100. I love to bake and I have so many recipes for an old fashioned apple pie, but I would really like to take something that will WOW them. Anyone have a great Apple Pie recipe that they would like to share? I would be forever grateful!
Horton

That's what I was thinking. That'd be so cool to win a prize from something in our SB cookbook!
What a selling point that would be! And for the items needed to bake it!

Kris

YEAH! I second that! I made it for my fam this weekend and it was a hit. Of course, you can use your own crusts if you're good like that...

Good luck with the contest and let us know how it went!

I've had a hard time with this recipe. I can't seem to turn it out correctly. Mine always gets stuck. Any suggestions?

Here is the recipe I use. ;)

Attachments

• 15 MINUTE FRENCH APPLE PIE.doc
    21 KB · Views: 476
Thank you!

just a few tipsi don't have a "recipe" i just sort of wing it...but what i do,do is crush a 16oz can of pears and drain them and spread them on the bottom of the crust before adding apples.you won't be able to taste them and what this does is beyond me! i read it in a recipe book years ago and have done it since.
another tip is while you are making your crust let the apples sit....then drain & discard the excess juices that the sugar makes before adding your apples to your crust.this will help your pie from being runny and getting a soggy bottom (no need for a pie gate!) if using a premade crust let them sit at least 15 minutes.
btw my neighbors and family call me al time to make them pies!

thank you. I'm going to try one this weekend.

Thanks, everyone! I will let you know how the contest turns out, but you all have some great tips on making apple pies. I just have this gut feeling that a PC recipe will do the trick. Thanks everyone!

And the winner of the apple pie baking contest is...Yeah! I won it! I absolutely could not believe that I won this contest. There were 14 pies entered and they liked mine the best. I have to admit that I didn't use a PC recipe, but I did put my own special twists on a traditional favorite. $100 for a pie isn't too bad at all!

You go girl!!That is great. Congratulations!

That is great. Congratulations!

Congratulations, Horton! That is awesome!

Way to go...so are you going to share the recipe you used?

The winning recipeI will gladly share my recipe!

The crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
Combine these together.
Using a pastry blender, cut in 3/4 cup of shortening.
I add 2 tablespoons of amaretto and then add water by the tablespoon until the pastry sticks together. You will use half of this for the crust bottom and I used the other half to make the lattice pastry top.

The pie.
6-8 Granny Smith apples, cored, peeled and sliced.
3/4 cup of sugar
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
Mix these ingredients together and coat the apple slices very well with the mix. Layer the slices in the pie crust.
Take 3 tbsp of butter and cut into small pieces and dot the pie with them. I liberally use anywhere between a 1/8 and 1/4 cup of amaretto poured over the apples. Top it with the lattice work and bake at 375 for 55 minutes.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the recipe Horton!

1. What are the rules and regulations for the apple pie baking contest?

The rules for the apple pie baking contest may vary depending on the specific competition, but some common rules include using a homemade pie crust, using a specific type of apples, and not using any pre-made fillings. It is important to carefully read the rules and follow them closely to ensure your entry is eligible.

2. How do I submit my apple pie for the contest?

The submission process may differ for each contest, but typically you will need to bring your pie to a designated location on the day of the contest. Some contests may also allow you to submit your pie online or by mail. Make sure to check the submission guidelines and deadlines for the specific contest you are entering.

3. What are the judging criteria for the apple pie baking contest?

The judging criteria may vary, but typically judges will evaluate pies based on presentation, taste, texture, and creativity. Some contests may also have specific criteria, such as using local ingredients or incorporating a certain flavor. It is important to read the judging criteria carefully and consider them when creating your pie.

4. Can I use a store-bought pie crust for the contest?

Most apple pie baking contests require the use of a homemade pie crust. However, you should always check the rules for the specific contest you are entering to see if store-bought crust is allowed. Some contests may have different categories for homemade and store-bought crusts.

5. Are there any prizes for winning the apple pie baking contest?

The prizes for winning an apple pie baking contest can vary, but they may include cash, gift cards, cooking/baking equipment, or even a feature in a magazine or cookbook. Make sure to check the prize information for the specific contest you are entering.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefrhondab
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • DebinCincy
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
meganmcg
  • chef131doreen