• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Trying Out a New Pie Crust - Martha Stewart's "Our Favorite

In summary, the person is baking an apple pie for a contest next Saturday and they have two favorite pie crust recipes. One is from Martha Stewart and the other is from Grammie.
pampchefrhondab
Hey, does anyone have a favorite pie crust?

I'm baking an apple pie for a contest next Saturday at our church. I have a great apple pie recipe, but I'm not thrilled with the crust. I didn't get a good one from either of my Grandmothers:)!

I just baked one tonight from Martha Stewart. It's called "Our Favorite Pie Crust." It's not cool enough to eat yet so we'll see how it is.

Thanks,

I don't think this will help but I always use Pillsbury...I LOVE PC, but I kinda suck at baking/cooking LOL!!!

I like Pillsbury too, but I can't use a store crust for the contest:)!

Here's my grandmother's pie crust recipe. She taught me how and this crust melts in your mouth! The trick is handling it as little as possible.

Grammie’s Pie Crust

4 c. flour
¾ c. ice water
2 c. Crisco
2 tsp. salt

Mix ingredients together lightly with pastry blender. Handle as little as possible. Be sure to use ICE water. Lightly roll out into pie shells remembering to handle as little as possible! Use with favorite pie recipe. For pre-baked shells, bake at 375° until golden brown.

My favorite is from Joy of Cooking. This is for a double-crust 9-inch, or a single-crust with a generous lattice. For a one-crust 9-inch pie use half the recipe.

Sift together:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons sugar

Measure and combine:

1/4 cup butter
3 tablespoons shortening

Cut half the shortening into the flour mixture until it has the grain of cornmeal. Cut in the remaining half until it is pea-sized. Sprinkle the dough with:

5 tablespoons water

Blend the water lightly into the dough. You may lift the ingredients with a fork, allowing the moisture to spread. Add water a teaspoon at a time, if needed.

When you can gather the dough up into a tidy ball, stop handling it.

That's it! Enjoy! It refrigerates well after baking and reheats to perfection.

Thanks! I'm going to give both of them a try! My family is going to be sick of pie this week!

Got this one from Tupperware many years ago. A good easy, tender & flaky pie crust:

Easy Egg Pastry

3 c flour
1 c lard or shortening
1 egg
1/3 c water
1 t. vinegar

Place flour & 1/2 t. salt in mixing bowl; blend. Cut lard (shortening) into flour till it resembles small peas.
Combine egg, water and vinegar tillblended. Make a well dry ingredients and pour in egg mixture. Apply seal to bowl and shake vigorously till mixture forms a ball. Divide dough into thirds.

One crust - prick bottom and sides. Bake in 450 degree oven 12 minutes.

Thanks! I'll try this one too! I'm going to have to stock up on the flour:)!

Related to Trying Out a New Pie Crust - Martha Stewart's "Our Favorite

1. How difficult is it to make Martha Stewart's "Our Favorite" pie crust?

Making Martha Stewart's "Our Favorite" pie crust is not difficult at all! It only requires a few simple ingredients and basic baking techniques. Plus, the recipe comes with step-by-step instructions and tips from Martha herself, making it easy for anyone to try.

2. Can I use this pie crust recipe for both sweet and savory pies?

Yes, you can definitely use Martha Stewart's "Our Favorite" pie crust recipe for both sweet and savory pies. The recipe calls for a combination of butter and shortening, giving it a versatile flavor that pairs well with both sweet and savory fillings.

3. How long does it take to chill the pie crust before baking?

The recipe recommends chilling the pie crust for at least 30 minutes before baking. However, if you have the time, it's best to chill it for 1-2 hours. This will help the crust hold its shape and prevent it from shrinking while baking.

4. Can I make this pie crust in advance and freeze it?

Yes, you can make Martha Stewart's "Our Favorite" pie crust in advance and freeze it for later use. After preparing the dough, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe bag or container. It can be stored in the freezer for up to 3 months.

5. Can I substitute the shortening with all butter?

Yes, you can substitute the shortening with all butter in this pie crust recipe. However, keep in mind that the texture and flavor may be slightly different. The combination of butter and shortening adds a flaky and tender texture to the crust, so using all butter may result in a slightly denser crust.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Staci
Replies
Views
3RingChef
Replies
Views
AJPratt
  • wadesgirl
  • Recipes and Tips