• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Whaddaya Think - Non-Traditional Thanksgiving

In summary, the person is hosting Thanksgiving this year and they want to do something different. They are planning on having a finger-food Thanksgiving with appetizers that do not require a fork. There will be no main meal and dessert will be allowed utensils. There are some concerns about how the family will take to the menu, but the person is optimistic. They are also planning on flying out to attend the event.
chefann
Gold Member
It's my turn to host Thanksgiving with my in-laws this year. <groan> They tend to have the same thing for every single large family gathering, so I want to mix it up a little. I also want to do something that will give me an "out" to NOT serve whatever my bossy SIL brings. (I'm so bad, aren't I?)

Additionally, I was looking for a theme that would allow me to skip potatoes and rolls, as my niece and nephew on that side of the family tend to focus on those at events, and eat nothing else. Which means that I need something that will have kid-friendly options, but not a whole separate meal for them.

SO-- I'm having a finger-food Thanksgiving!

Instead of having cheese and crackers out when people arrive, I'll have nothing. And the main "meal" will be several waves of hot and cold hearty appetizers - none of which will require a fork. Here's what I'm planning on so far:
mini quiches
little smokeys (smoked sausages)
tangy brie
veggie tray
co*ktail meatballs
shrimp tray
turkey roll-ups, cut into small pieces (for the traditionalists who need their turkey)
20-minute ribs

Dessert will allow utensils:
pumpkin pie
cranberry cookie cobbler (Colleen posted this last week)
pumple pie (apple and pumpkin, layered in a single crust)

Coffee, milk, tea, soft drinks, etc. (They're not wine-drinkers, either.)

Am I crazy? (Well, we know I am - I mean about this...) What do you think? My goal was also to do something that will require people to mingle, instead of parking themselves at the dinner table until they're done. I also don't have a room/table large enough for everyone to sit in one place, so this takes care of that, too.

10/8 11:05 edited to add ribs to list (forgot them earlier)

Last edited:
I like it! Just remember, its all in the marketing. Make fun invitations, maybe even do post calls to get the kids excited, have games with prizes, etc.

The menu sounds delicious.

But, how do YOU think your family will take to this? Since I don't know them I'm afraid I'm not much help. I know that my family and DH would hate it. Thanksgiving is DH's favorite holiday and he looks forward to the traditional meal. Since we built our house I now host the annual turkey dinner. I usually have all the regulars and then throw in one or two new dishes.

They already think I'm weird, so this will be just further confirmation. :)

The person I think would have the biggest problem with it is my bossy SIL. She's the oldest in DH's family, and boy can you tell! Any time there's an event like this, she tries to take over and tell everyone what to bring, even when she's not the host. I'm the only one who stands up to her, probably because I'm the only one who entertains and has an idea of what to do. She's also nosy, and has to know ahead of time what's being served - as if I'd serve something disgusting or poisonous. (I've already decided that I'm going to make up recipe names to tell her: Seared Wasabi Emu Filets on a bed of turnip puree, for example.)

What fun! It sounds great!
What time are you serving? (So I can book my flight and make my travel arrangements NOW...save me a seat!)

chefann said:

The person I think would have the biggest problem with it is my bossy SIL. She's the oldest in DH's family, and boy can you tell! Any time there's an event like this, she tries to take over and tell everyone what to bring, even when she's not the host. I'm the only one who stands up to her, probably because I'm the only one who entertains and has an idea of what to do. She's also nosy, and has to know ahead of time what's being served - as if I'd serve something disgusting or poisonous. (I've already decided that I'm going to make up recipe names to tell her: Seared Wasabi Emu Filets on a bed of turnip puree, for example.)
Well then, screw the bossy bi-atch and do what you want to do! :D

chefann said:
Tell them to contact me and I can confirm it for them.

pamperedlinda said:
Well then, screw the bossy bi-atch and do what you want to do! :D
<giggle> I already ticked her off last year when I did that. My 2 other SILs hosted a b'day (November) and Christmas. Bossy took over organizing menus and telling people what to bring. I called the hostess for the b'day and asked HER what I should bring. She wanted a hot veggie. Next day, Bossy called me to tell me what kind of veggie to bring "Don't bring green beans, because nobody likes green beans." Of course, I took green beans. I ended up with veggies for Christmas, too - "Don't bring green beans." "Well, then I'll bring broccoli." "NO! Bring the broccoli, carrots, cauliflower blend." I, of course, took green beans and broccoli. She took one look in my pan, and proceeded to cook 3 cans of corn so there would be an "acceptable" veggie. So if I weren't committed to no utensils, I'd serve green beans, too.

The_Kitchen_Guy said:
Tell them to contact me and I can confirm it for them.
I like YOU too much to make you talk to THEM! Let's just say that the boys (DH and his brother) got all the brains in the family, but we're still trying to figure out where they got them from.

chefann said:
<giggle> I already ticked her off last year when I did that. My 2 other SILs hosted a b'day (November) and Christmas. Bossy took over organizing menus and telling people what to bring. I called the hostess for the b'day and asked HER what I should bring. She wanted a hot veggie. Next day, Bossy called me to tell me what kind of veggie to bring "Don't bring green beans, because nobody likes green beans." Of course, I took green beans. I ended up with veggies for Christmas, too - "Don't bring green beans." "Well, then I'll bring broccoli." "NO! Bring the broccoli, carrots, cauliflower blend." I, of course, took green beans and broccoli. She took one look in my pan, and proceeded to cook 3 cans of corn so there would be an "acceptable" veggie. So if I weren't committed to no utensils, I'd serve green beans, too.

So she wouldn't even let you serve your veggies???

Oh, no- mine were served, but she clearly wished they weren't there. And Christmas wasn't even "her" event! But she took over, as always. She HATES when I host, because I don't let her run the show.

I think that you should tell her that she is in charge of veggies and you would like her to bring green beans and broccoli...

Ann not to hijack but tell me more about the Pumple Pie??

chefann said:
<giggle> So if I weren't committed to no utensils, I'd serve green beans, too.

Ann, You could always do fried green beans. My favorite restaurant makes these and serves them with some type of cucumber dipping sauce. They are so yummy and considered a finger food.

chefheidi2003 said:
I think that you should tell her that she is in charge of veggies and you would like her to bring green beans and broccoli...

LMAO!!!!! Now that is funny!:D :D :D

kdawn1124 said:
Ann, You could always do fried green beans. My favorite restaurant makes these and serves them with some type of cucumber dipping sauce. They are so yummy and considered a finger food.
mmmmm mmmmm sounds yummy!

chefheidi2003 said:
You should absolutely do that! LMAO Send her the recipe of how YOU want them made too :D

kdawn1124 said:

I was thinking the same thing!! They serve them at TGI Friday's right??

Smashie said:
I was thinking the same thing!! They serve them at TGI Friday's right??

That's where I go to get them.

That's a good idea for the green beans. I might just have to do that. <evil laugh>

Pumple Pie is something I saw in the newspaper a couple years ago - the Detroit Free Press had a Thanksgiving Recipe contest, and it won the dessert category. Basically, it's a deep dish pie that's half apple and half pumpkin. Line a deep dish pie plate with crust. Prepare apple filling for a single standard pie and pour into the crust. Prepare pumpkin pie filling for a single standard pie, and pour it carefully over the apples. Bake. It's soooooo good! And you don't have people eating 2 pieces of pie because they can't decide which one they want. :)

chefann said:
That's a good idea for the green beans. I might just have to do that. <evil laugh>

Pumple Pie is something I saw in the newspaper a couple years ago - the Detroit Free Press had a Thanksgiving Recipe contest, and it won the dessert category. Basically, it's a deep dish pie that's half apple and half pumpkin. Line a deep dish pie plate with crust. Prepare apple filling for a single standard pie and pour into the crust. Prepare pumpkin pie filling for a single standard pie, and pour it carefully over the apples. Bake. It's soooooo good! And you don't have people eating 2 pieces of pie because they can't decide which one they want. :)

Thank you I will have to try this...

chefann said:

mmmmmm.... that sounds so yummy. You know, you are going to get asked for the recipe. :blushing:

I guess I'll have to look for it. Really- I just follow standard cookbook/can recipes for the fillings and bake it until it's done. :rolleyes:

That sounds fabulous, Ann!

You could always add Mini Roo Burgers to your menu. That's one of the things we'll be taking to Thanksgiving this year. ;)

chefann said:

I'll have to suggest to my SIL that she make a pecumple or pumpecan pie so we don't have to ask her for two pieces. She also always makes my (late) mother's egg nog pie recipe so we usually end up with three little pieces of pie.

raebates said:
That sounds fabulous, Ann!

You could always add Mini Roo Burgers to your menu. That's one of the things we'll be taking to Thanksgiving this year. ;)
Well, in that case, invite me and I'll hit the drive-thru at White Caste for Sliders.

OOh- your pumpecan idea reminds me of a cheesecake I made a few years back. It was in a pastry (pie) crust, and the bottom layer was chocolate pecan pie, with an upper layer of cheesecake. Delish!

===
I looked around and couldn't find the Pumple Pie recipe I had seen on the newspaper site (and they have pay service to access anything over 12 months old - I'm too cheap to do that). but here's one I found through google.

Triumphant Pumple Pie

1/3 cup Tisabodian Brown Sugar; Packed
(Substitute: Regular Brown Sugar)
1 tb Cornstarch
1/2 ts Cinnamon; Ground
1/4 ts Salt
1/3 cup Solace Water
(Substitute: Spring Water)
2 tb Yaglobem Glaze (Burnt)
(Substitute: Butter Or Margarine)
3 cups Apples; Pared & Thinly Sliced
1 ea Egg (Large)
1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 cup Pumpkin (Canned); Mashed
1/2 ts Cinnamon; Ground
1/4 ts Ginger; Ground
1/8 ts Clove; Ground
1/4 ts Salt
3/4 cup Lower Tower Dynasty’s Tulda Cider
(Substitute: Evaporated Milk)
1 ea Unbaked 9-inch Pie Shell

Combine the brown sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and salt in a 2-quart saucepan. Stir in the solace water and glaze. Cook, over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil.

Carefully add the apple slices and cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.

Combine the egg, sugar, pumpkin, salt, spices, and cider in a bowl. Beat until well blended using a rotary or electric mixer set on low speed. Pour the apple mixture into the unbaked pie shell and then spoon an even layer of the pumpkin mixture over the apple mixture.

Bake in a preheated 425 degree F oven for 10 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees F and bake another 40 minutes or until the filling is set around the edge. Cool on a wire rack.

==
Edited to add: I've made my own using refrigerated pie crust, a can of apple pie filling and the pie filling recipe from the back of a can of pureed pumpkin. I made it in the stoneware deep dish pie plate, and it turned out fine. (I do not remember how long I cooked it, though.)

Last edited:
They all sound better than a peach-cucumber pie. I don't think puke pie will ever make it.

Ann, one year I went anti-tradition and made international foods instead: Thai noodles, samosas, chicken kabobs, etc...
I love spicing things up a bit--uh, no pun intended--and it sounds like you certainly have too! Heh heh

That's a good idea, too, Kimberly. But my MIL's favorite flavor is bland. Really. She complains at restaurants when they put salt and pepper on things. :rolleyes: Until I remembered that, I was thinking of doing a taco bar. :)

TwinGirlsMom said:
Ann, one year I went anti-tradition and made international foods instead: Thai noodles, samosas, chicken kabobs, etc...
I love spicing things up a bit--uh, no pun intended--and it sounds like you certainly have too! Heh heh
Oh, when are you going to do this again? I am coming to your house! I love Thai noodles and Samosas....yum yum!

pamperedlinda said:
The menu sounds delicious.

But, how do YOU think your family will take to this? Since I don't know them I'm afraid I'm not much help. I know that my family and DH would hate it. Thanksgiving is DH's favorite holiday and he looks forward to the traditional meal. Since we built our house I now host the annual turkey dinner. I usually have all the regulars and then throw in one or two new dishes.

Here is my two cents - on my side of the family we always have a traditional Turkey day for which I'm grateful because every year for Christmas Day - on my husband's side of the family we do a bring some sort of snick snacky food and quite frankly by the end of the day I'm pretty grossed out by the amount of food consumed because I swear that's all they do all day is eat!! And most of the foods don't really "go" together and I actually prefer a more traditional dinner (turkey or ham) and lots of different side dishes and a couple of desserts. That may just be me - but I tend to think as a society we all overeat anyhow - and we're not doing our kids any favors by having 20 dishes to choose from and overeat. I have nieces/nephews who have some serious weight issues who literally spend the entire day eating vs. just having fun with their family. (I know I probably sound like Scrooge - but we have 9 cousin birthday parties a year and it's the same at all of them!)

I wish you good luck in whatever you decide to do - I'm sure it will be fun and tasty!

DH's family has the same overeating problem when it's a full meal... I think the trick is to present things that are tasty, but healthy - and limit the amount, so people can't graze all day. His family also doesn't visit. They come, they sit down, they eat, they leave. It's like hosting a swarm of locusts, but without the redeeming qualities. (Oh, goodness! Did I type that out loud?) I figure that if I can serve things that will require them to mingle and move from room to room, they'll actually be better off than with a traditional meal.

Consider yourself lucky that they don't hang around.Buhh-BYEEEEEE!

chefann said:
..........His family also doesn't visit. They come, they sit down, they eat, they leave........
Do you really want them to stay for a while and visit then? Especially the bossy SIL? Or are you planning to torture them with your good graces? Ya know, this could be fun. Maybe you should plan to play a few party games....

pamperedlinda said:
Do you really want them to stay for a while and visit then? Especially the bossy SIL? Or are you planning to torture them with your good graces? Ya know, this could be fun. Maybe you should plan to play a few party games....

That is too funny.

Consider yourself lucky that they don't hang around.

Buhh-BYEEEEEE!

Bossy SIL thinks all the animals in the family love her. That MUST be why Beaker poofs all her feathers and screeches when Bossy walks past the cage, right? :rolleyes: She pokes her fingers through the cage and cackles at the birds - I'm just waiting for Beaker to take a chunk out of her finger. (I told you, I'm evil.)

Beaker started saying "Honk!" this weekend. So we call her a silly goose.

IF we are not in the football finals this year we are going non-traditional. We (us and my parents) are going to the mountains in TN and spend Thanksgiving there. My inlaws may not be too happy with it but who cares!:D :angel: Of course hopefully, we will still be in the playoffs - we were last year when we planned the same thing.

hmmm.... games would be a good idea, except I doubt anyone would listen to rules... visiting for the sake of sharing stories and having a good time is such a foreign concept to them that it's just sad.

I do have some good games from my Simply Fun party. Maybe I'll make sure they're out.

Oh, yeah- that's another thing that annoys the relatives. If I invite you over for Thanksgiving dinner, that means dinner - not football. The TV isn't allowed on, but they'll actually rummage through furniture looking for the remote to turn it on.

chefann said:
Bossy SIL thinks all the animals in the family love her. That MUST be why Beaker poofs all her feathers and screeches when Bossy walks past the cage, right? :rolleyes: She pokes her fingers through the cage and cackles at the birds - I'm just waiting for Beaker to take a chunk out of her finger. (I told you, I'm evil.)

Beaker started saying "Honk!" this weekend. So we call her a silly goose.

maybe she will "Honk" and Miss Bossy when they are there...

chefann said:
Oh, yeah- that's another thing that annoys the relatives. If I invite you over for Thanksgiving dinner, that means dinner - not football. The TV isn't allowed on, but they'll actually rummage through furniture looking for the remote to turn it on.

LOL...we went to my brothers MIL house last year for thanksgiving and she wouldn't let us turn the TV on and they wanted to play games all day...my mom was irritated because we wanted to watch Football.

But they know that DH and I aren't sports people - we almost never have any sports on our TV anyway. And if they're there for a family dinner, then no TV. If it were a gathering for the purpose of watching football, that's a different story. :) Then it would be OK.

You have to be a real fan to consider the Lions football.

They play better football than I do! Of course, I don't think I've ever played football of any kind, so that's not hard.

Well, after yesterday, I think it's safe to say, not much better.4

And I think the Thanksgiving game is the Packer home game this year...

check check check

Yep- it is. And imagine this- there's a big box on the Lions' homepage that "Regular Season Tickets Still Available." Imagine that! Empty seats in the losingest stadium in town!

If they're not careful, those seats will all be filled with cheeseheads wearing green and gold.Vince Lombardi hated that game and pulled the Packers out of it in about '63. The Packers didn't appear in that game for several decades and frankly, I didn't miss it. One of the local columnists wrote a special Thanksgiving Day version of the old T-day song, back in the early '60s, let me see if I can remember any of it...Over the freeway
And through the town
To Grandmother's house we go!
The car seems to know
The correct way to go
Through the thick and drifted sno-ow!Grandpa is watching
The Packers play
And hoping they win the game!
He raises a cheer
As he opens a beer
And they turn the Lions tay-yame!And I'm sorry, I don't remember the rest of it.

I'm sure that game's already sold out - and half the stadium WILL be cheering for the Pack. It's just too close for fans NOT to make the trip.

Packer fans stand a better chance of getting a ticket to see their team play at a ROAD stadium than they do at Lambeau.Unless they want to pay Lambeau scalper prices.

1. What is the main "meal" for this non-traditional Thanksgiving?

The main "meal" for this non-traditional Thanksgiving will be several waves of hot and cold hearty appetizers, including mini quiches, little smokies, tangy brie, veggie tray, cocktail meatballs, shrimp tray, turkey roll-ups, and 20-minute ribs.

2. Why did you choose to have a finger-food Thanksgiving?

The host of this Thanksgiving wanted to mix things up and provide a more interactive and social dining experience. By having a finger-food Thanksgiving, guests will be encouraged to mingle and move around, instead of being seated at a traditional dinner table.

3. Will there be options for traditional Thanksgiving dishes?

Yes, there will be options for those who still want to have some traditional Thanksgiving dishes. The menu includes turkey roll-ups and pumpkin pie, as well as a pumple pie (apple and pumpkin, layered in a single crust).

4. What inspired you to skip potatoes and rolls for this Thanksgiving?

The host wanted to provide a break from the usual Thanksgiving side dishes and create a more unique and memorable dining experience for their guests. Additionally, the host's niece and nephew tend to focus on potatoes and rolls at family gatherings, so this menu allows for a wider variety of food options for them to try.

5. Will there be options for children at this non-traditional Thanksgiving?

Yes, there will be options for children at this non-traditional Thanksgiving. The menu includes mini quiches, cocktail meatballs, and shrimp, which are all kid-friendly options. The host also plans to have a separate dessert, including a cranberry cookie cobbler, for kids to enjoy.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BadGirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampchefsarah
  • pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
minirottie
Replies