• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Bought Some Fresh Scallops, Now What?

S
sfdavis918
We went to Costco today and they had some fresh scallops. I thought I had seen a recipe somewhere for some that sounded good so I decided to get some. Of course, now I can't find it!

Any ideas on what I should do with them? Oh, and it's supposed to rain this afternoon so we can't BBQ.:(

Pan sear them, delish!

You can serve over pasta if you wish.

Here is a recipe ( from Allrecipes.com ) that I really like.

Baked Scallops

INGREDIENTS

* 4 tablespoons butter, melted
* 1 1/2 pounds bay scallops, rinsed and drained
* 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs
* 1 teaspoon onion powder
* 1 teaspoon garlic powder
* 1/2 teaspoon paprika
* 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley
* 3 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. Pour melted butter into a 2 quart oval casserole dish. Distribute butter and scallops evenly inside the dish.
3. Combine the bread crumbs, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, parsley, minced garlic and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle this mixture over the scallops.
4. Bake in pre-heated oven until scallops are firm, about 20 minutes.

Yum - Jamaican Rub and garlic oil (or regular) Grill Pan or Saute them - over some angel pasta!! OR I love scallops scampi style as well - again over Pasta - OR bread them with bread crumbs and stonebar bake them - some lemon (fresh) a nice pasta with garlic, butter and wine sauce.... OK - now I am hungry!!

Check out http://www.recipezaar.com - they have the BEST recipes!! Just type in "scallops", and off you go!

Becky, I'm trying your recipe right now. I'll let you know how it goes over!

Oh my goodness, Becky, those were the best!! I was so impressed with myself, DH was even more impressed! I have never attempted to make scallops before, but that recipe was so super easy! That is definitely going to be on my menu again in the future. And like DH said, that would have cost us at least $15.00 a plate for the dinner we had. Well, only $10.50 for the pound of scallops and I had a rice mix already in the pantry to go with it. We both had seconds so figure we would have spent at least $60 for a dinner out like that! WAHOO!! Thanks again!!

I love scallops!

sfdavis918 said:
Oh my goodness, Becky, those were the best!! I was so impressed with myself, DH was even more impressed! I have never attempted to make scallops before, but that recipe was so super easy! That is definitely going to be on my menu again in the future. And like DH said, that would have cost us at least $15.00 a plate for the dinner we had. Well, only $10.50 for the pound of scallops and I had a rice mix already in the pantry to go with it. We both had seconds so figure we would have spent at least $60 for a dinner out like that! WAHOO!! Thanks again!!

Yea Sarah! So glad you liked them! It is an easy recipe - I am all about easy recipes that taste WOW! This recipe also works great with shrimp!

Thanks, I've been looking for a scallop recipe too and had to click when I saw this thread!

For all of you scallop lovers, how do you get them so they aren't SANDY inside? I tell you, every time that I get them (at a restaurant, or make them myself) I always get one or two that are disgusting! Is that just the luck of the draw or what?

KellyTheChef said:
For all of you scallop lovers, how do you get them so they aren't SANDY inside? I tell you, every time that I get them (at a restaurant, or make them myself) I always get one or two that are disgusting! Is that just the luck of the draw or what?

Kelly - it has to be bad luck - I never get them sandy and My DH owns a restaurant, when bought from the supplier they are always clean - but our chef rinses them anyway -

Is it bay or sea that you have the sand thing with?? Just curious.

bay scallops are the smaller ones, right? That's the ones...

Yeah, bay scallops are a lot sandier than sea scallops.

Soak them in cold/icy salt water for a few hours, and the sand should release.
Don't stir or disturb the water - the sand should settle on the bottom.

A PC skimmer would be perfect to pick the scallops out with, I'd think! Or tongs.

Scallops are one of those foods, like leeks, where you need to watch for sand.

Love scallops...

just simply grill them in olive oil, maybe a bit of butter.

How about using our BBQ rub and making BBQ scallops. Those would be awesome.

My favorite scallop recipe is on the grill. Wrap the scallop with thinly sliced prosciutto and use a 4 inch piece of rosemary as the skewer to hold the prosciutto in place. Baste scallop with butter if you desire after they have been "assembled" and then salt and pepper them. They are delicious. The rosemary may burn a little but it seems like it infuses the scallops with a rosemary flavor when that happens. Don't overcook the scallops or they will be rubbery. This recipe is a favorite of my guests.
Enjoy! Michelle

Related to I Bought Some Fresh Scallops, Now What?

1. What are some good recipes for cooking fresh scallops?

Some popular recipes for cooking fresh scallops include seared scallops with lemon butter sauce, scallop risotto, and bacon-wrapped scallops. You can also try grilling or baking them with a marinade or seasoning of your choice.

2. Can I freeze fresh scallops?

Yes, you can freeze fresh scallops for up to 3 months. Make sure to rinse and pat them dry before placing them in an airtight container or freezer bag. Thaw them in the refrigerator before cooking.

3. How should I store fresh scallops before cooking?

Fresh scallops should be stored in the refrigerator at a temperature of 32-38°F. Place them on a tray or plate and cover with plastic wrap or foil. They should be consumed within 1-2 days of purchase for optimal freshness.

4. Can I cook fresh scallops in the oven?

Yes, you can cook fresh scallops in the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F and place the scallops in a baking dish. Drizzle with olive oil and add any desired seasonings. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they are opaque and slightly firm to the touch.

5. What are some good alternatives to grilling fresh scallops?

If you are unable to grill the scallops due to weather or lack of a grill, you can also pan-sear them in a skillet on the stove. Another option is to broil them in the oven for a few minutes on each side. Both methods can produce a deliciously crispy exterior and tender interior.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellyTheChef
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
raebates
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
pckellyd