• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How to Help Your Child Pull Out Loose Teeth with Ease?

In summary, the child's bottom teeth are loose, but they don't want to come out. The replacement teeth are already in behind them, and the child is very squeemish about this. The dentist has not been successful in trying to pull the teeth, and the child needs to wiggle them and try to get them out. If they are still there Monday morning, the child will go to the dentist.
pamperedlinda
Gold Member
My DS's two bottom front teeth are very lose, but they don't want to come out. Problem is, that the replacement teeth are already in behind them (I've never seen anything like it). I'm very squeemish about this kind of thing and DH hasn't been successful in trying to pull them. They really need to come out! I told DS he needed to wiggle them and try and get them out and that if they were still there Monday morning that we were going to the dentist. Any tips on getting these teeth out? He's complained of pain when we mess with them. It's been a very long time since I lost any teeth, but I do remember that it would hurt when they came out. I want to save my child the trauma of having the dentist pull them, but I'm starting to feel like we've reached that point.

No advice, just---ewwww! I can handle vomit, diapers, and all other mommy duties, but loose teeth make my skin crawl! This is still the #1 topic of my nightmares, and I don't know why.

Good luck!

Just tell him to wiggle them back and forth...if he does it himself it won't hurt as much. There are all kinds of things to do...remember tying a string to the teeth and a door and shutting the door....lol. The dentist can pull them, but that costs money. Around here the kindergarten teacher is the tooth puller. She just has a way with kids that they show her their loose teeth and she helps them pull them. She also gives them a little treasure chest to put them in until the tooth fairy comes.

don't worry about them....they will come out when the replacement teeth are ready, they will push the others out. It will be more traumatic if you make a big deal out of it. In the meantime, soft foods and have him wiggle them himself!

Ah Linda - just went through this with DD. All 4 bottom teeth were pulled at the advice of a dentist because her replacement teeth were almost all the way up behind them. I saved them all.#1 and #2 (center teeth) were getting close to coming out, very little root. #3 and #4 the ones to the side on the bottom had FULL LONG ROOTS, they wouldn't have come out in ages. Her permanent teeth moved into proper place well.For her top center, the same thing happened. Luckily by the time her top center two new ones were almost all the way in, they were close to coming out. We assisted these two with a little orajel and tightly wrapped dental floss. I held her hand, DH yanked. All good.On the dental front, I was told this was VERY common. More so that we all think. There is no problem with the double teeth unless the adult ones are in more than half-way without the others coming out. So, you can choose to give it time or have a dentist give you an opinion.

Just let them come out naturally. No need to force a dentist to pull them and put your baby in more pain. My niece had several teeth were the replacements came in before the others fell out.

Linda - reread your original post.If he's complaining of pain when you mess, he may have quite a bit of root in there still.
Remember, they don't NEED to come out unless they are more than halfway in...a dentist can give you a valid opinion and they usually won't pull until it is really needed.

oooo...I love the Oragel and dental floss idea! That would definetly not be as traumatic as what I remember as a kid.....won't go there!

Shawnna said:
Just tell him to wiggle them back and forth...if he does it himself it won't hurt as much. There are all kinds of things to do...remember tying a string to the teeth and a door and shutting the door....lol. The dentist can pull them, but that costs money. Around here the kindergarten teacher is the tooth puller. She just has a way with kids that they show her their loose teeth and she helps them pull them. She also gives them a little treasure chest to put them in until the tooth fairy comes.

Has anyone actually done this? I've heard this so many times, but do not know anyone who really did it? LOL

pamperedlinda said:
Has anyone actually done this? I've heard this so many times, but do not know anyone who really did it? LOL

That's basically what my Orajel and floss was. We almost tied it to the door but DH pulled it instead.

janetupnorth said:
Ah Linda - just went through this with DD. All 4 bottom teeth were pulled at the advice of a dentist because her replacement teeth were almost all the way up behind them. I saved them all.

#1 and #2 (center teeth) were getting close to coming out, very little root. #3 and #4 the ones to the side on the bottom had FULL LONG ROOTS, they wouldn't have come out in ages. Her permanent teeth moved into proper place well.

For her top center, the same thing happened. Luckily by the time her top center two new ones were almost all the way in, they were close to coming out. We assisted these two with a little orajel and tightly wrapped dental floss. I held her hand, DH yanked. All good.

On the dental front, I was told this was VERY common. More so that we all think. There is no problem with the double teeth unless the adult ones are in more than half-way without the others coming out. So, you can choose to give it time or have a dentist give you an opinion.

Thanks for the Oragel idea, think I'll go to the store and get some. I know that I cannot forcefully pull them :yuck: But I also hate the idea of the dentist doing it. The teeth behind are pretty well in there, at least half-way I'm sure.
I'll work with him on wiggling them tonight. Maybe wiggling with some oragel will do the trick.

I would also see what your doctor says about a normal dose of children's motrin or tylenol before rubbing on the oragel and the whole pulling them out. oragel isn't gonna help with the root pain, but some children's motrin will dull it some- and make the after effects of having the tooth come out less painful.

HTH...

I've only had to pull out teeth from the children I nannied---I just grabbed hold, closed my eyes and yanked! Not my favorite thing....but I also almost failed the esthetician part of cosmetology school because plucking people's eyebrows and waxing them gives me the heebie-jeebies...not sure why, maybe it's because I know how bad it hurts! LOL

DS went swimming at the neighbor's this afternoon. He got kneed in the mouth in the pool and that took care of the teeth :eek: Only problem is we don't know where the teeth are - probably in the pool filter :eek:. Oh well, hopefully they will show up, if not I guess we'll have to write the Tooth Fairy a note.

Hooray, I don't have to pull them or take him crying to the dentist!

pamperedlinda said:
DS went swimming at the neighbor's this afternoon. He got kneed in the mouth in the pool and that took care of the teeth :eek: Only problem is we don't know where the teeth are - probably in the pool filter :eek:. Oh well, hopefully they will show up, if not I guess we'll have to write the Tooth Fairy a note.

YAHOOOOOO!!!!! So gald they came out on their own.

If you cannot find the teeth and he wants something other than the note to leave the Fairy, you could let him go on a rock hunt for some that look like teeth to leave under his pillow. Calliou did this the other day to "trick" the Fairy into leaving him a prize after Sarah lost a tooth and of course Calliou is too young to loose teeth yet. HA!:D

Jen, you have to get out more,honey!

pamperedlinda said:

well, that worked out nicely! If he writes a note, be sure to take a picture of it for his scrapbook....you won't keep the Tooth Fairy secret long if he sees that you have it!

My son had a tooth come out at school one year. It landed somewhere on the playground. He was rather upset so his teacher helped him write a letter to the Tooth Fairy.

Linda, I am so glad your son's teeth made it out. When my oldest daughter was first loosing teeth she would not work on them or allow us to work on them. She would end up in so much pain when those adult teeth were pushing away on the little teeth. The pain always went away as soon as the teeth did.

My son was great at getting his teeth out and always did so before he ended up in pain. Turning and twisting them always worked for him so you have some advice for the next ones.

My DS#1 had the same thing - the dentist looked at them and said it's fine - when they need to com eout they'll come out on their own. When they finally fell out, the adult teeth moved slowly into their proper place.

Is this your DS who shares a b;day with my DS#2? If so, my DS#2 is gonna be SO jealous that yours is alreay soon-to-be losing teeth!! My DS's bottom two are ever so slightly loose and that's it. :(

I have always heard the longer they take to come in and come out the healthier they are...........don't know how true it is Carolyn, but you can always try telling DS#2 that!

dannyzmom said:
My DS#1 had the same thing - the dentist looked at them and said it's fine - when they need to com eout they'll come out on their own. When they finally fell out, the adult teeth moved slowly into their proper place.

Is this your DS who shares a b;day with my DS#2? If so, my DS#2 is gonna be SO jealous that yours is alreay soon-to-be losing teeth!! My DS's bottom two are ever so slightly loose and that's it. :(

Yes, that's the one. (I only have one child.) He was starting to get upset that everyone was loosing teeth excpet him. Then he goes and looses 2 in one day! I hope my neighbor find the teeth in her pool filter for him, he's kind of upset about that.

AZPampered Chef said:
No advice, just---ewwww! I can handle vomit, diapers, and all other mommy duties, but loose teeth make my skin crawl! This is still the #1 topic of my nightmares, and I don't know why.

Good luck!

Right there with ya on that one!:) I take anything else but dealing with loose teeth.:yuck:

jrstephens said:
YAHOOOOOO!!!!! So gald they came out on their own.

If you cannot find the teeth and he wants something other than the note to leave the Fairy, you could let him go on a rock hunt for some that look like teeth to leave under his pillow. Calliou did this the other day to "trick" the Fairy into leaving him a prize after Sarah lost a tooth and of course Calliou is too young to loose teeth yet. HA!:D

Not to hijack, but I just wanted to say how glad I am to know that I'm not the only one making true-to-life comparisons with things that happen on PBS Children's Programming. :) I'm constantly doing this, too!!!

sklay723 said:
Not to hijack, but I just wanted to say how glad I am to know that I'm not the only one making true-to-life comparisons with things that happen on PBS Children's Programming. :) I'm constantly doing this, too!!!

Absolutely, you gotta relate to something. However, I was in a realy bind when my DS wanted me to take him to Dragonland for a visit. When I told him that I didn't have a dragonscale to wish on so we couldn't go he then wanted me to call Spongebob and invite him to come over and go swimming :eek:. He now understands what is real and what is make-believe on TV, but for a while there it was interesting!

pamperedlinda said:
Absolutely, you gotta relate to something. However, I was in a realy bind when my DS wanted me to take him to Dragonland for a visit. When I told him that I didn't have a dragonscale to wish on so we couldn't go he then wanted me to call Spongebob and invite him to come over and go swimming :eek:. He now understands what is real and what is make-believe on TV, but for a while there it was interesting!

My daughter is a little chatterbox, and at just 2 1/2 she will grab her teddy bear by one paw, make my son hold the other paw, and in very clear words say, "I wish, I wish with all my heart to fly with dragons in a land apart..." It's actually pretty funny, except that she does this REPEATEDLY and then it just gets old really fast! And we can't even go into how wild about Elmo they both are...yikes. I never understood the fascination with Elmo until I had my own kids.

PS - Am I the only one who thinks Caillou is a spoiled little brat? Man, he annoys me...

pamperedlinda said:

Yep, my grandma "pulled" 2 of my teeth this way...hurt like you know what but was over really quickly.:D

chefmeg said:
I have always heard the longer they take to come in and come out the healthier they are...........don't know how true it is Carolyn, but you can always try telling DS#2 that!

I have heard the same thing...and I've told him that. But he's not interested in that perspective - LOL

I always had my kids bite into a large apple--by the time they were done eating the teeth came out. Make it a firm one like a Granny Smith. Worked every time, with my kids and all the neighbor kids too--we had 20+ kids in our neighborhood at one time and the parents all sent them here to lose their teeth, LOL. Make sure you have kleenex or paper towels handy--it will bleed a little bit. If the apple is REALLY cold it doesn't hurt as much. My dh usually put them in the freezer for 10 minutes (the apples, not the kids, LOL). HTH.

I can't stand Caillou also! He is always whinning--I always worry that my kids are going to immitate his behavior! that show is probably more for the parents--to teach us to be so kind and patient. :)

As far as the tooth pulling goes...my husband tied a piece of floss around my DD front tooth once. That tooth was so loose, it was ridiculous, but she wouldn't let us pull it. So he tied that floss on so tight, we couldn't get it off. She had no choice but to let us get it out that night. She was so sad, floss hanging out of her mouth. It didn't go over so well...She could actually spin it all the way around. It was just connected a tiny bit, so finally she pulled it. I seriously thought she was going to be so stubborn and go to church the next day with that stupid floss on her snaggle tooth! :)

kathijenkins said:
Right there with ya on that one!:) I take anything else but dealing with loose teeth.:yuck:

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one....I just peeked in on this thread out of morbid curiousity, and I seriously cannot read through this! You people are creeping me out.

I can almost guarantee that I will have a nightmare this week that--OH NO!--one of my permanant teeth is loose and then, WHAT THE ?!?! they are all starting to come out and they feel like rocks in my mouth....

I need to talk to a therapist.

Funny you should post this thread today, Linda. We were at a festival today (Summerfest for those of you familiar with it), and my almost 6 yo DS was eating corn on the cob. He started crying and when we asked what was up he showed us his bottom front tooth. It was a little loose, but now it's really loose! I've never noticed until today that the permanent tooth is popping out behind it.

Glad I'm not the only one going through this. He doesn't believe in the tooth fairy so he's in no rush to get it out other than it's not very comfortable to eat corn on the cob or apples!

My DH pulled out DS 2 bottom teeth with the floss. Just tied it on and yanked.

As far as the tooth fairy goes...she knows everything. So, she will know where to find the missing tooth and still leave something nice for DS. We always got money for teeth, but I gave my kids pencils, crayons, stickers, books...and sometimes money. People around here were giving their kids $5 for teeth and they would try to pull them just to get money. So, I decided to try something different.

I haven't had this problem with my 2 older kids and DS is 6 now and doesn't have loose teeth yet. I do have afunny story though about my DD.

She was in 1st grade and had 2 loose teeth for a few days and was always playing with them but she was too scared to pull them out (so was I...yuck)
So she comes home from school one day and says,"look my teeth are out!" I ask
"how" she says "oh my friend Katlyn pulled them out, she's gonna be a dentist when she grows up!" these are 6 year olds! It was just so cute.

She and Katlyn are still buddies (now sophmores in HS) and her mom is one of my best friends..I didn't know either one of them when this happened though.

Related to How to Help Your Child Pull Out Loose Teeth with Ease?

1. How can I help my child pull out their loose teeth easily?

One way to help your child pull out their loose teeth with ease is to encourage them to wiggle the tooth back and forth gently with their tongue or fingers. This will loosen the tooth and make it easier to come out. You can also try giving them crunchy foods like apples or carrots, which can help loosen the tooth.

2. My child's two bottom front teeth are very loose, but they don't want to come out. What should I do?

If your child's teeth are not coming out on their own, it may be best to consult a dentist. The dentist can assess the situation and determine if the teeth need to be removed to make room for the permanent teeth coming in.

3. How can I overcome my squeamishness about pulling out my child's loose teeth?

It is normal to feel squeamish about pulling out your child's teeth. One way to overcome this is to have your child use a tissue or piece of gauze to grip the tooth and pull it out themselves. This way, you are not directly involved in the process.

4. My child is complaining of pain when we try to pull out their loose teeth. What should I do?

If your child is experiencing pain when trying to pull out their teeth, it may be best to consult a dentist. The dentist can assess the situation and determine if the tooth needs to be removed or if there is another issue causing the pain.

5. When should I take my child to the dentist to have their loose teeth removed?

If your child's loose teeth are not coming out on their own and they are causing discomfort, it may be time to take them to the dentist. The dentist can safely and effectively remove the teeth and provide any necessary follow-up care.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefdiana2007
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Intrepid_Chef
  • jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefEileen
  • babywings76