• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Watch Out for Loose Grill Brush Bristles; Eating Them Is Dangerous

In summary, reports of people ingesting loose grill brush bristles have prompted a senator to ask for a safety review. In two recent incidents, men were hospitalized after ingesting the bristles and had to undergo emergency surgery. It's important to replace any grill brushes with loose or broken bristles to prevent any potential harm.
esavvymom
Staff member
Very interesting article.....be careful!! i am replacing our grill brushes!

Watch out for loose grill brush bristles; eating them is dangerous :: WRAL.com

Watch out for loose grill brush bristles; eating them is dangerous

Reports of people ingesting the bristles from grill brushes has prompted a*New York senator to ask the federal Consumer Product Safety Commission and the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to conduct a safety review of the brushes.

When metal grill cleaning brushes get worn out, the bristles come loose, which means they could end up on your grill and whatever food you throw on it.*

In two recent incidents, men in Washington and New Jersey were hospitalized for stomach pain after eating grilled food. Doctors found that metal brush bristles had perforated their intestines.

Both men underwent emergency surgery and survived.*

The advice: If your grill brush has any loose or broken bristles, toss it and get a new one.

Good tip! ;)

Well, this might be a way to increase the amount of iron in your diet. I'm just afraid that with my PC brush, I might turn even more brassy than I already am.

What, no smart remarks in reply? I feel like I'm getting the brush-off. I'm used to it. I used to get the same brush-off in high school from the grill o' my dreams. And, no, her name wasn't Patty. ;)

Hello there,Thank you for sharing this important article with us. It's always good to be cautious when it comes to our health and safety, especially when it comes to something as seemingly harmless as a grill brush. It's alarming to hear about the incidents of people ingesting loose bristles and I'm glad to hear that a senator is taking steps to address this issue. As a Pampered Chef consultant, I want to remind everyone that we have high-quality grill brushes that are designed to last and not shed any bristles. Our products go through strict safety standards and are made with the highest quality materials. If anyone needs a new grill brush, please don't hesitate to reach out to me. Safety should always be a top priority when it comes to cooking and grilling. Let's all be careful and mindful of the tools we use. Stay safe and happy grilling!

1. What are grill brush bristles made of?

Grill brush bristles are typically made of metal, such as stainless steel or brass.

2. How do grill brush bristles become loose?

Grill brush bristles can become loose over time due to wear and tear, or if the brush is not properly cared for and cleaned after each use.

3. Why are loose grill brush bristles dangerous?

Loose grill brush bristles can easily detach from the brush and end up in your food. If ingested, these small metal pieces can cause serious damage to your digestive system.

4. How can I prevent loose grill brush bristles from getting into my food?

To prevent loose grill brush bristles from getting into your food, make sure to thoroughly inspect your grill brush before each use and replace it if you notice any loose or damaged bristles. Additionally, it is recommended to clean your grill with a damp cloth or grill scraper instead of a brush to avoid any bristles coming loose.

5. What should I do if I accidentally ingest a grill brush bristle?

If you accidentally ingest a grill brush bristle, seek medical attention immediately. The bristle may cause serious damage to your digestive tract and should be removed by a medical professional.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PChefPEI
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
lockhartkitchen
Back