• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Unusual Dental Emergency: 16-Year-Old Knocks Out Teeth

In summary, a 16-year-old boy was unloading metal drums when he tripped and fell and hit his mouth on one of the drums, knocking out 3 of his top front teeth. The dentist met him after hours and cleaned and replaced the teeth.
chefdiana2007
Hey, has this happened to anyone or their kids. Tonight my DS who is 16, was unloading metal 50gal drums, tripped and fell and hit his mouth on the drum. He knocked out his 3 top front teeth.:yuck: I called our dentist and he met us in his office after hours, thank God for Dr Lavalley. Anyway he clened them up and put them back in:eek: It is a wait and see game. Just wondered if anyone had any thing like happen to them and how it turned out. OF course he just got his braces off 3 months ago:grumpy: and Dr. said if they had been on his teeth would habe stayed in his mouth.

chefdiana2007 said:
Hey, has this happened to anyone or their kids. Tonight my DS who is 16, was unloading metal 50gal drums, tripped and fell and hit his mouth on the drum. He knocked out his 3 top front teeth.:yuck: I called our dentist and he met us in his office after hours, thank God for Dr Lavalley. Anyway he clened them up and put them back in:eek: It is a wait and see game. Just wondered if anyone had any thing like happen to them and how it turned out. OF course he just got his braces off 3 months ago:grumpy: and Dr. said if they had been on his teeth would habe stayed in his mouth.

Is this how your son sounded at the dentist's office? :eek: :p :blushing: I'm sorry...I'm just kidding!

I don't personally have any experience with this...but your DS will definitely be in my thoughts and prayers for some speedy (and complete with teeth) healing.

I'm sorry I poked fun...now I feel bad...:eek:

Oh my goodness. The "teeth falling out" dream is my most recurrent and abhorrent nightmare. Just reading your thread title made me cringe.I don't have any advice for you, but I'll be praying for you and your son!

This is very common for them to do with teeth. The mouth is the fastest healing area of your body.

Yes It Has Happened To Me!:cry: I was 7 walking to school for my first time with my cousin and I fell!:eek: my bottom jaw bone hit the curb and knocked out my teeth:cry: ( the ones in the very front middle and the ones next to them on both sides)
My cousin ran and got the neighbor whom was an aide at the school she was walking as well she was a few block in front of us.

Well she picked me up and ran to the school me holding a hanky in my mouth the teeth were dangling by the roots totally exposed to the elements .:eek:
When I got to the school and to the nurse they had called my mom and my mom got there quickly.
My mom and I were waiting at my grandma's house for the dr to say come in my mom was frazzled.:eek:
the dentist was another story! I had to wait 10 hours before I was to bee seen and had emergency oral surgery.:grumpy: I was in such shock I did not feel the pain of them throbbing.
I had an iced wash cloth in my mouth for 10 hrs . this had kept the teeth from dieing. However one of the top middle tooth did die after 3 root canals and the trauma.
I wore braces for 6 years, was told at the age of 8 that my front teeth will fall out by the time I was 13! I am 39 and I still have them in my mouth.:D I am planning to get the two that died in front the big ones replaced with porcelain implants that screw into a plate .
I have them bleached a few times and I bleach them before I go and act on sets of tv shows or movies. :cool:
:sing: The main thing is to get them taken care of quickly and always cut up your food not to take bites into an apple or carrots and hard things but to cut them and eat from the sides.
Oh I almost forgot
Drink your milk and take calcium pills and Yes this is why I still have them! :D
Milk and yogurt and cheese are very good source of keeping your bones healthy.
Make sure not to let him drink sodas but water and juices tell him why that the soda will help in killing the roots that have been damaged by the accident. I have lived with mine and still enjoy having them.
I hope that this does help you and you son.

My 20 mos old had a similar accident last night as well. Her teeth didn't get knocked out just rammed up into her head. I took her to the Urgent Care doc who informs me he cannot x-ray her and all of the people who can don't seem at all concerned about it! The Urgent Care doc says that her front palate (the front part of your mouth where the teeth grow from) is fractured. She is black and blue all around her nose and inside of her mouth.

She was at her brother's basketball game climbing on the bleachers. She lost her footing and down she came on her mouth.

Tomorrow I will spend all day at the ER because before the Ortho Maxillar-facial doc will see her he wants to prove she doesn't have a concussion. Well since she's been talking and playing since the incident I really don't see how she could have a concussion the Urgent Care doc even said she doesn't have one. She has to have dental x-rays. I can't just make the appointment myself. We haven't seen a dentist since we moved here so I don't have one to call in this emergency. She looks a little scary, but she's in good spirits. I guess that's something.

chefdiana2007 said:

My DH actually had his front two teeth knocked out by a hockey stick...but they just turned to powder. :cry: So he know has brand new teeth!! They were spendy!! :yuck: I told him if he wanted to take care of the gap in his two front teeth he could have gotten braces!;)

Chef Kearns said:
My 20 mos old had a similar accident last night as well. Her teeth didn't get knocked out just rammed up into her head. I took her to the Urgent Care doc who informs me he cannot x-ray her and all of the people who can don't seem at all concerned about it! The Urgent Care doc says that her front palate (the front part of your mouth where the teeth grow from) is fractured. She is black and blue all around her nose and inside of her mouth.

She was at her brother's basketball game climbing on the bleachers. She lost her footing and down she came on her mouth.

Tomorrow I will spend all day at the ER because before the Ortho Maxillar-facial doc will see her he wants to prove she doesn't have a concussion. Well since she's been talking and playing since the incident I really don't see how she could have a concussion the Urgent Care doc even said she doesn't have one. She has to have dental x-rays. I can't just make the appointment myself. We haven't seen a dentist since we moved here so I don't have one to call in this emergency. She looks a little scary, but she's in good spirits. I guess that's something.

My son fell into the wooden frame of a waterbed when he was about 19 months old pushing his front 2 teeth back up. They did come back down on their own but were apparently "dead". They started turning yellow & he ended up with cavities in them. He knocked a little girl's head & out came the 1st (at age 4) then the following year, the same thing. He had lost them both by 5. He know has a lisp but his permanent teeth are fine. :D

Actually it happened to my DH (before I knew him) he was in the Army riding in a HUM-V when his two front teeth went into the dash board. (I cant even talk about it because I am so queezy with medical talk) but he has two implanted teeth in the front, and you cannot tell they are not his real teeth.

Hope it works out for DS!

:angel: Thanks for all the prayers. This morning his teeth look like they are tighter and my DS says they feel tighter. :D He wore his retainer all night. It looks like an invisaline plastic thing. I told him to wear it all day today except when he eats. He was in a lot of pain last night and today. He stayed home from school. So I am hopeful that we will be able to save his teeth.:( Of course when all this happened my DH was in Tulsa for the day. It never fails, one of us is gone when something happens.

I was just about to come on and post to see how your DS was doing! I'm glad they feel tighter. I know he must be in a lot of pain - I remember how much it hurt to get my braces tightened - I can't even imagine how much it must hurt to have them knocked out.

Keep us posted on how he's doing! He's still in my prayers and positive thoughts (and healing thoughts) are being sent his way! :)

Goodness, I hope all works out with the teeth and they heal fine. Poor thing, he has to be in a lot of pain!

I know his pain...I too did something but mine was just dumb. When I was in fifth grade I went home for lunch to pick up a homework assignment I had forgotten in the a.m. I went flying back on my bike. I got 1/2 a block from school and the lock chain for my bike got caught in the front tire. Needless to say, the bike stopped abruptly but I kept going. Right over the handle bars and face first on to the alley pavement. I lost all 4 front top teeth. They were able to re-install them but with one catch. My very front tooth was missing a very small piece. Cement of some sort was put on it to fill the gap and my dentist today can not belive it is still there! (That is, well, almost 37 years ago!)
The only issue was not that my teeth hurt or the jaw line. But I had a major case of road rash that once it started healing, hurt like you know what because the scabs kept cracking! So I know he will hurt because he must have gotten one heck of a bruise to go with that! Many wishes for a speeded and complete recovery! Fingers crossed and all that so the teeth stay in!!

My daugter was not quite 2 when she knocked the front tooth out clean. She just got her tooth back at age 8. My 4 year old 6 months ago, fell and twisted the front two. The teeth are dying. We're leaving in until they fall out. The dentist said no reason to pay him to pull them. We've spent a lot of time at the dentist.

That happened to my 15 year old son...he's 17 now. We went to get his braces off and his ortho broke one of his teeth off at the gum...and told me to take him to his regular dentist. Needless to say I was very upset. The regular dentist wouldn't get him in for a month. Then that night he had a dream he was fighting someone...don't ask me...and fell out of bed and hit his mouth on a chair and broke the other front tooth off. The dentist still wouldn't get him in for a month. So, he went for a month with no teeth. Then they gave him a retainer with 2 teeth in it which he wore for almost a year because they were "waiting" on something. We visited the dentist every month to get those teeth fixed and it took nearly a year. By the time they finally got his new teeth he didn't have insurance and I had to pay out of pocket. Just another reason to be mad at the dentist.

Chef Diane...where are you located? I know Dr. LaValley. He used to be at Wilburton. His wife is very sweet and she bought Pampered Chef from me. You might want to drop her a catalog.

Kudos to you for getting to the dentist!I wish my parents were that wise when I fell down the steps, head over heels over head over heels ....I was 4 at the time and banged my mouth on the concrete floor! Of course, my parents were more concerned about whether any bones were broken and whether I was bleeding than anything that might be going on in my mouth! Besides, my teeth weren't out, yet!However, over the course of the next few days, my front tooth turned black and fell out. My parents shrugged it off, saying that it was just a baby tooth and the adult one would come in. It never did. Consequences ranged from the inane (I always had a place to put the thermometer when I was sick) to the serious (I was hesitant to smile and show my missing tooth.)As a child, I used to sing, "All I want for Christmas is my one front tooth ..."When I was 18, I learned that my tooth bud was permanently damaged and woulld never grow in. (I think I had a clue by then.) They were going to remove it, but I got sick and the oral surgery was canceled.Now I COULD get dental work but have poor coverage and a lot better things to drop $2 to $5 grand or more on. Besides, most people don't notice I have a tooth missing, just that I have a slight gap in my smile.

Related to Unusual Dental Emergency: 16-Year-Old Knocks Out Teeth

1. What should I do if my 16-year-old knocks out their teeth?

If your 16-year-old has knocked out their teeth, it's important to act quickly. First, locate the teeth and handle them only by the crown (the part that is normally visible in the mouth). Rinse the teeth gently with water and try to reinsert them into the sockets. If that's not possible, place the teeth in a container of milk or saliva to keep them moist. Then, contact a dentist or visit the emergency room as soon as possible.

2. How likely is it for a 16-year-old to knock out their teeth?

While it can happen at any age, it's more common for 16-year-olds to knock out their teeth due to their participation in sports and other physical activities. It's important to wear a mouthguard during these activities to help prevent dental emergencies.

3. What are the potential complications of a knocked-out tooth?

If a knocked-out tooth is not treated promptly, it can lead to further complications such as infection, bone loss, and damage to the surrounding teeth. It's important to seek immediate dental care to increase the chances of successfully reattaching the tooth.

4. Can a knocked-out tooth be saved?

In some cases, a knocked-out tooth can be successfully reattached if treated within 30 minutes to an hour. However, this depends on the severity of the injury and the condition of the tooth. It's important to seek professional dental care as soon as possible for the best chance of saving the tooth.

5. How can I prevent my 16-year-old from knocking out their teeth in the future?

The best way to prevent knocked-out teeth is to wear a mouthguard during physical activities. It's also important to avoid chewing on hard objects like ice or using teeth as tools. If your 16-year-old is prone to dental injuries, you may also want to consider a custom mouthguard made by a dentist for added protection.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jrstephens
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
ChefEileen
  • tlag1986
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
tlag1986
Replies