• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Many Recipes Do You Demo at a Show?

N
noradawn
I'm curious about how many recipes you all do at shows. I have heard that there used to be two or more per show, but my director instructed that I just do one- which does seem to be plenty in terms of time. How many recipes do you actually demo at a show?

:) I almost always do 2 recipes. When I arrive at the host's home I immediately start the dessert, that way when the guests arrive they walk in the door they smell the delicious treat. I have also only done one item before. If I am getting that feeling from the host that there is going to be a very small turnout-less than 4- I will only make one thing. I also have had several hosts that want to make other things themselves ahead of time and have at the party. I just try to remind them that they do not need to spend a fortune on food . I just would hate for a host to spend $30+ on food and not get that much in return in free merchandise. I have had that happen and then th the rewards from having the party barely cover their costs. If you let them do this , then they are not usually that thrilled about having a party again. I want them to get as much free merchandise and for it to be fun and worth their while.

I stick to one demo but...I too usually bring more than one thing.
But I base it stricktly on the type of show I am doing. For example, a great side to the Thai Chicken Stir-Fry Salad is our Beer Bread and butter. Now, odviously I can bake that ahead and for the cost of one package it is not a strain on the budget. If you do make it, make it in the Mini-Loaf Pan, it looks like more that way. Then I mix some sort of seasoning into the butter or margarine. One table spoon of our Dill Mix, the Southwest or the Rosemary Herb are great mix ins. I do that ahead as well so the flavors mingle. Then I scoop it into one of the bowls from the Entertaining Set, put in the Spreader. I slice three of the 4 loaves of bread then place them diagonally on the Sage Plate of the Entertaining set and viola, instant second dish. Which is plenty of food with the salad for about 10 people. Then I always suggest nothing more than chips, dip or veggies and dip and we use the Chillzanne Rectangle Server for that. And I tell them why. Because of the cost. You do not want to spend all your PC money on food.
I did a brunch show a few weeks ago. The Ham & Cheese Breakfast Braid and something called Hobo potatoes.
The potatoes had to be in the oven for one hour. So I did these ahead, put them in the rectangle baker with the lid. Put it in the oven when I got there. Then the braid we all made. They were both done then at the same time. Well, almost. the potatoes should have been put in when we started making the braid but oh well. Such is life. They were still good. Just a little dry.
If you do want to bring two things fine. But never demo two things. I found I do much better sales and booking if you only do one, don't take up alot of everyone's precious time and keep it simeple. KIS!!! (I have to add the second S though, KISS, to make it really hit home."Stupid") Use which ever one fits you.

I Always have an appetizerI always have an appetizer that I either make at home and bring or make while at my hosts house, at least partially. Like stated in the previous post, it does depend on the theme/recipe. If its a ring (or something a bit filling) I will just crinkle cut some veggies and make a quick dip and chill at the host's house.

Or I make the Rustic Parmesan Pita Chips (a big hit) at home and carry the dip. Even just some nuts, trail mix whatever, in Simple Additions make a huge difference. (I am new, but the Simple Additions Entertaining Set can be purchased on your supply order form for just $29, regularly $60 and boosts sales!)

I like to feed people, I also like when people mingle when they first come in and food brings folks together. It also helps b/c the guests are not as impatient feeling like "when is that darn recipe gonna go in the oven/be ready??". I find them a little more attentive, and it gives a more party atmosphere.

I have also done a quick dessert that everyone basically loves, and sells the stuff I didn't use in the recipe, and I do this where they don't have to pay attention to me making it (although you find some do) and they are eating and filling out order forms.

I buy pound cake, cut into slices, put a dollop of Cool Whip, hull out the strawberries with the Cooks Corer and slice them up with the Egg Slicer Plus. Toss with some sugar and put on top of the Cool Whip. Instant Strawberry Shortcake, takes about 5 min.!! My host then serves it up on plates while I get the orders. Works well and the guests feel they were really pampered~don't leave hungry!!

Wow, sounds like a lot of you are spending a lot more $ on your shows than I am! My first month I was buying and bringing a lot of ingredients, since I had to beg my friends to have the shows, and most of them are broke! I am so happy now to just show up with my tools and not worry about bringing food! But I do like the idea of bringing a little something to show off the Entertainment Set. I just ordered that on a supply order because I think it will be great with the Tapas show! (I did the Tapas show without it this weekend and used the prep bowls- sold a set, but I think the Entertainment Set will look even better.)

I ALWAYS make 2...my one demo is ALWAYS the 10 minute microwave cake. It is quick, easy, and a higher priced item. The fluted stone is in my top 10.

I then do a recipe that the host wants.

Do you buy the cake mix and frosting, or does the host?

Usually just oneI usually do just one recipe. Some say "but in the past she..." but when I explain why I do only one most are very happy with that. If she still seems to want a second recipe I offer a dip and fresh veges if the main is dessert or the microwave cake if it's an appetizer.

If I make something at home, like a brownie base or the tortilla chips for touch down taco dip, I have them replace the main ingredient and I provide the other items. I also provide the fresh parmesan cheese for recipes because I have found that many people are shocked by the price and I can divide it among several shows (it freezes well). Then I talk about the advantages of using fresh and the REAL cost of each type - it sells cheese graters! :D

Number of recipes per showI have done one and two. I prefer one, as many recipes use the same products twice. If hostess really wants two, I either try do something that is almost finished and just needs topped. Even if it doesn't need topped, I top it to show a product! For example, whipped topping w/ Easy Accent Decorator, or even some shaved chocolate (reg. or white), or even nuts, with the Deluxe Cheese Grater. OR, what I prefer to do, is to make a "12-minute" microwave cake in my Stoneware Fluted Pan. I mix this and put it in microwave while I set up. Then, guests have that wonderful aroma greet them as they come in! Then, after it cools a little, I show how easily it comes out. I share that, I never had any "bundt" style cakes come out without tearing with my old metal pan. And, it only takes a few ingredients. If you don't have any 12-minute cake recipes, ask your director, or other directors or consultants. But, if your hostess insists on two, do two, just explain that you want her benefits to outweigh her costs. PC gives $15 free products for kitchen show hostess, so try to stick to less than that.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR BUSINESS! :)

Great advice! and micro cake recipeValerie,

You gave some great tips! Aroma greeting guests, topping something, keeping the host cost to the $15 benefit... THANKS!

We can also add a garnish to something the host might prepare ahead of time or just make a couple garnishes to "show how".

There are lots of recipes for the "12-minute cake" on this web site just go to "files" on the top bar. Some call it "10 minute cake". I find that in most microwaves it takes 12-15 minutes so I call it "13 minute cake with 13 second glaze"

Here's the recipe I usually use:

cake mix - any flavor (just the dry mix)
2 cups sour cream
3 eggs
Combine ingredients and pour into prepared stoneware fluted bowl (I just spritz it well). Microwave on high for 13 minutes - turn after 6 minutes if not on a turntable. Check for doneness with cake tester. Cool 5 minutes and invert onto serving platter. Cool completely.

Glaze
2-3 Tablespoons of prepared frosting - flavor to compliment cake flavor
Put frosting in the microcooker and microwave on high for 13 seconds until it pours easily over the cake to glaze/frost. Be sure the cake is completely cooled or it will just soak into the cake! Garnish with grated nuts or chocolate and/or fresh fruit (in the center or around the cake) and/or confectioners sugar.

This is a GREAT recipe for a summer show - no oven!!

microwave cake questionsI've decided I'm really jazzed about the idea of doing a microwave cake at every show- and even if I'm bringing the ingredients, they're minimal. I would love to start selling lots of those fluted pans! Do you have to spritz the pan every time, or just until it's seasoned? What do you spritz it with- vegetable oil? There's olive oil in my spritzer, but I don't know if that would be the right thing.

Nora

noradawn said:
I've decided I'm really jazzed about the idea of doing a microwave cake at every show- and even if I'm bringing the ingredients, they're minimal. I would love to start selling lots of those fluted pans! Do you have to spritz the pan every time, or just until it's seasoned? What do you spritz it with- vegetable oil? There's olive oil in my spritzer, but I don't know if that would be the right thing.

Nora

You can use the olive oil but I do use vegetable oil - it's just a thing with me. I have several spritzers - olive oil, vegetable oil, lemon juice and water.

Last edited:
About the costI really don't spend a lot of money with the appetizers, carrots and celery are fairly cheap and I let the host know/decide if they want this (I haven't gotten a "no") and I tell them to supply the mayo and sour cream (since I make the dip at their house and chill until guests come).

The dessert stuff is fairly cheap also, even the microwave cakes everyone is talking about. Some stores sell the cake mixes for .79-.99 cents on sale, just buy a couple at that time. Plus all of this is tax-deductible as expenses for your show. On average, I have not put in more than $3-$5 for the extra recipe (s).

1. How many recipes do you typically demo at a show?

The number of recipes demonstrated at a show can vary depending on the time allotted, the complexity of the recipes, and the preferences of the presenter. However, on average, most shows feature one to two recipes.

2. Why do some shows only have one recipe demo while others have more?

There are a few factors that can influence the number of recipes demonstrated at a show. Some shows may have time constraints or a specific theme that limits the number of recipes that can be demonstrated. Additionally, some presenters may choose to focus on one recipe to ensure that it is properly highlighted and explained.

3. Is one recipe enough to showcase the product or service being demonstrated?

In most cases, one recipe is enough to showcase the product or service being demonstrated. By focusing on one recipe, presenters can provide a more in-depth demonstration and explanation of the product, rather than trying to cover multiple recipes in a limited time frame.

4. How long does it take to demo one recipe at a show?

The time it takes to demo one recipe at a show can vary, but on average it can take anywhere from 15-30 minutes. This includes the time for the presenter to explain the recipe, demonstrate the steps, and answer any questions from the audience.

5. Can additional recipes be provided for attendees to try at a show?

Yes, additional recipes can be provided for attendees to take home and try. This can be a great way to further showcase the product or service being demonstrated and give attendees a chance to try different recipes at their own pace. However, it is not necessary to have multiple recipe demos at the actual show itself.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• 1PamperedMommy
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • ChefJWarren
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pchockeymom
  • TheFreddiesCook