• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Long and What Seasonings for a Roast

I usually just use a can of beef broth and water. I also add salt and pepper. If I don't have garlic, I add a teaspoon of onion soup mix.
kcjodih
Gold Member
of beef? I've NEVER made a roast beef before :eek: but I'm now making one for my DD's birthday dinner tomorrow night. Usually my MIL makes the roast beef (which is always tough and dry) and I make my yorkshire puddings.

I have a 6 pound roast (went to the meat market and asked for a great cut for a roast to feed 9 people and he said 5 pounds. I said is that generous portions 'cause my man can eat - 6' 5" and he made it 6 - this thing is 12 inches long - HUGE LOL ) and want to put it in my crockpot (which is very large, fairly new and never used) with some potatoes. How long do I need to cook this to eat at 6 pm? When do I add the potatoes so they're crisp but tender not mushy? What seasonings do I use?

I can make gravy no problem (do that for the MIL who makes flavorless gravy) but I have no idea about the actual meat and potatoes! Pathetic huh? HELP!!!!!!!

one recipe I do is
1 pkg ranch dressing (dry)
1 pkg italian dressing (dry)
1 pkg brown gravy mix (dry)]
1 cup water
comine those ingrediants together and pour over the roast
When I cook roast I just throw everything in together around 8-9 in the morning. My potatoes usually turn out fine not to mushy. Also if you put your veggies on the bottom of the pot they cook better and dont take the lid off it increases your cooking time.
Good Luck with your roast.

My mom always uses a can of Cream of Mushroom and a package of Lipton Onion Soup Mix. She throws the potatoes and carrots in at the same time as the meat. She cooks hers on low for a few hours but when I try, they never turn out as soft and yummy as hers! I think she has a magic touch.

Roasts are great and easy! I'll often sear the roast first then toss in the crock pot with carrots and potatoes and a few cloves of garlic (onions work great too)...maybe a little salt & pepper and if I want some liquid I'll add beef broth. I've never cooked a roast that big, but "slow and low" is the best...put it in first thing in the morning and check after a few hours to see how the progress is going.

Okay I'm going to try the garlic and beef broth (if I have broth in the pantry -gotta check )- or I'll do the lipton and mushroom soup - definitely have those!
But cooking the chunks of potatoes and carrots that long? Don't they get mushy? I'd like to have them cooked through, tender with a little bit of a crispy edge on them....asking alot don't ya think? LOL

Thanks for all the help everyone! So I'm thinking low all day is fine - or is there a length of time per pound such as 1/2 hour per pound for medium well etc? Or does that only apply to the oven?

You won't have a crispy edge to the potatoes in the crockpot but you can put them in the oven for a little while to crisp up and brown. I do this sometimes. Also, the potatoes won't get mushy because it's not cooked fast like on the stove but if you want more firm potatoes, use red ones instead of russets.

I just throw everything in with 2 packages onion soup mix, garlic and water. It comes out great and makes flavorful gravy. Cook it all day on low or you can set it on high and check it after about 4-5 hours or so. It just depends if you want the roast to fall apart or slice it.

I sear mine and add Seasoning salt, pepper a little garlic salt and then slice an onion and 2 ribs of celery on top & fresh mushrooms
Pour over a mixture of red wine, beef broth and a little worcestershire and kitchen bouquet
the key is to not take the lid off and stir or move it around

I heard my recipe on the radio, and now call this 'Radio Roast'.

Put your vegetables in the bottom of the crockpot (onions, carrots, potatoes, celery, mushrooms, garlic, whatever you might like with it).

I usually sear a 3-4 pound roast and keep the drippings. While it is searing, add to the crockpot...

1 package Good Seasonings salad mix (dry)
1 package Au jus seasoning mix (dry - I know McCormick makes some)
1 can of beef broth plus a can of water. (bouillion or powder will work too)
Salt and Pepper (and if I don't have garlic, I add garlic powder)

I often add more broth and or water depending on how big the roast is and how dry the crockpot looks.

Add the roast and drippings on top and I usually pour some of the seasoned liquid on top of the roast. I cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Makes a great gravy too.

I also make OPEN FACED SANDWICHES after they have eaten the roast and we have leftovers (usually try to make enough for leftovers!)

I take the meat and shred what is left. Make a brown gravy with some of the broth (or use could use brown gravy mix and make fresh). Mix the gravy with the meat and pour over thick texas sliced toast. What a quick, filling, and easy dinner. Great for a cold day.

With a 6# roast I would cut it in half OR start cooking it the night before. My mom does that with large roasts. Start to check for doneness around noon the next day and this meat just falls apart and is super good!
Deb

Since you have not used your crockpot a whole lot I would start out on high for an hr or 2 to get things going then knock it back to low. Every pot is a bit different.

I love my deep covered baker for my roasts. They always turn out so nice.
I set oven to 325 and season with Montreal Steak seasoning.

I mix pressed garlic cloves in olive oil & brush all over meat. Sprinkle with salt & pepper. Put it in fridge for about an hour. I sprinkle with Crushed Peppercorn & Garlic Rub. Place in roasting pan w/o rack and bake at 350*F for about 20 min. per lb. Then use water & flour to make gravy with "leftovers". YUM! I always make mashed potatoes & boil them so not sure when to add to roast. Gravy is yummy on them also.

kcjodih said:
of beef? I've NEVER made a roast beef before :eek: but I'm now making one for my DD's birthday dinner tomorrow night. Usually my MIL makes the roast beef (which is always tough and dry) and I make my yorkshire puddings.

I have a 6 pound roast (went to the meat market and asked for a great cut for a roast to feed 9 people and he said 5 pounds. I said is that generous portions 'cause my man can eat - 6' 5" and he made it 6 - this thing is 12 inches long - HUGE LOL ) and want to put it in my crockpot (which is very large, fairly new and never used) with some potatoes. How long do I need to cook this to eat at 6 pm? When do I add the potatoes so they're crisp but tender not mushy? What seasonings do I use?

I can make gravy no problem (do that for the MIL who makes flavorless gravy) but I have no idea about the actual meat and potatoes! Pathetic huh? HELP!!!!!!!

I have a very simple and easy roast recipe that is to die for (keep in mind I don't like mushrooms)

one 3+ pound roast of your choosing
3 cans of GOLDEN MUSHROOM SOUP by Campbell's
1 med/lg onion rougly chopped
1 cup water

salt and pepper both sides of the roast, and stick in your crock pot with the soup, onion and water and "cook" for 6-10 hours until it falls apart and is yummy! If you want carrots and potatoes with it, add those in 2-3 hours before the roast is set to be finished.

I get tons of compliments on this roast and the soup makes an amazing gravy!~ :)

What is the recommended cooking time for a roast?

The recommended cooking time for a roast depends on the type and size of the roast, as well as the desired level of doneness. As a general rule, you can estimate about 20 minutes of cooking time per pound of meat for a medium rare roast. However, it is always best to use a meat thermometer to ensure the roast reaches the desired internal temperature.

What is the best seasoning for a roast?

The best seasoning for a roast depends on personal preference and the type of meat being cooked. Some popular options include garlic, rosemary, thyme, and black pepper for a classic herb flavor. You can also use a pre-made seasoning blend or create your own using a combination of spices and herbs.

How do I know when the roast is done cooking?

The best way to know when a roast is done cooking is to use a meat thermometer. The internal temperature should reach 145°F for medium rare, 160°F for medium, and 170°F for well done. You can also make a small cut in the thickest part of the roast and check for the desired level of doneness.

Should I cover the roast while cooking?

This depends on personal preference and the type of roast being cooked. Covering the roast can help keep it moist and prevent it from drying out, but it can also prevent the exterior from getting crispy. You can cover the roast for the first part of cooking and then remove the cover for the last 20-30 minutes to achieve a crispy exterior.

Do I need to let the roast rest before slicing?

Yes, it is important to let the roast rest for about 15 minutes before slicing to allow the juices to redistribute and prevent them from spilling out when sliced. This will result in a juicier and more flavorful roast.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cactus_flower
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies