• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Think I'm Ready to Try a Roast...

no water or anything. I put it in the crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. I then take it out, slice it, and serve. I also add potatoes and carrots to it.So, in summary, the animal lover kid who became a vegetarian at age 9 now eats chicken, beef, and pork. However, each time he tries a new version of beef or pork, it's a new taste experience. He recently learned to eat steak, and he generally likes steak. He's ready to try pot roast, but he's not sure what the label should be. He wants to do roasted potatoes with the pot roast, and any tips or recipes to share? He also wants to know what to
magentablue
I really have never tasted a roast (that I can remember).

I was the animal lover kid, who decided to become a vegetarian at age 9. In time I began to eat chicken again. In very recent years, I began to eat a little beef and pork. But each time I try another version of beef or pork, it's a totally new taste experience for me.

Within the last two years I learned to eat steak, and I can say that now I generally like steak.

So maybe I'm ready to try pot roast. I do realize that sounds funny.

So... when I go to the store, will one meat be labeled "pot roast" or is there a particular cut of meat I need?

I wanted to do roasted potatoes with the pot roast. Any tips or recipes to share? Is there anything that works in the deep covered baker? I'd rather do it in the oven than the microwave, at least for the first time I taste it.

Your help and advice is appreciated!

I honestly dont know remeber what kind of roast I buy. Right now I just get what I have in my freezer. But when I do cook roasts here is what I do. Mine are usually frozen but I either put it in the crock pot or in one of my stones, I was told if you do veggies ie carrots and potatoes you really want them on the bottom. I usually use 1 pkg onion soup mix pour on top and add a little water. Cover and since I cook them frozen I cook it at 250 from about 9:30 ish to 5 ish. Depending on the roast is how tender it is.

Cooks Illustrated tested several cuts, and said that their first choice would be a Top Sirloin Roast. "This substantial cut from the hip area tasted incredibly meaty and had plenty of marbling, which made for a succulent roast. Top sirloin roast can also be labeled as top butt, top sirloin butt, center-cut roast or spoon roast depending on your location."

Their second choice was Blade Roast. "This roast from the shoulder was beefy and juicy, and its long, compact shape made it very easy to slice int servable pieces. A thin line of sinew running through the roast was the only unpleasant distraction."

If you can't find the cuts Noora mentioned in your store (the names may vary regionally), ask some working in the meat department. We always get great tips that way.

I do roasts two ways. My go-to workday roast is in the crockpot. I put in the cheapest roast I can get, 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup, a packet of onion soup mix and about 2 tbsp of vinegar. Mix the soups together, pour over the meat and go to work. You can put carrots, onion and clelery in it too.

My Sunday roast I do on the stovetop. I put it in a large pan and sear it for a few minutes on each side. Then I add carrots and potatoes with water. I keep it simmering over low-meidum heat for a few hours, but keep adding water. I do try to let it boil down at least once to make my gravy nice & brown. When the meat is done, the carrots and potatoes are brown, I take them out and then add flour/water to the pan to make gravy. This is how Mom always did hers, so that's how I do mine. :)

That said, I think we actually like the crockpot recipe more than the other. It makes a nice gravy and the leftovers are great. We had it Monday and I finished it off Thursday night.

buy a cheap roast
This recipe is good in the crockpot or the DCBBake at 350 for a little over an hour
mix 1 can Campbells french onion soup
and 1 can of Campbells cheddar cheese soup
whisk together pour over a roast that is UNSEASONED but has sliced garlic on bake remove roast to platter whisk juices and serve as gravy no need to thicken

Oh wow, so many great recipes! Thank you all!

I like the kind of roast that falls apart when you cook it so I get either a Chuck Roast or a 7 Bone Roast. I cook mine in the crock pot too. I put in just the roast with a chunked-up onion and some fesh garlic, along with some salt and pepper and a packet of dry Litpon's Onion Soup Mix. I let it cook for a few hours like that (makes alot of its own juice),I add my carrots a few hours before I'm ready to serve it and a can of Cream Of Mushroom Soup - delicious. i don't add potatoes to mine b/c my family prefers rice. If I were to add potaoes, I'd probably add them when I put in the carrots. I just let it cook all day. If I happen to have an open bottle of red wine I put some of that in after it's been cooking for a while.

Wow, Becky D...this sounds AMAZING! Thanks for posting!

Since no one else posted this, roast is actually better when it's slow cooked. It's more tender and less "chewy" and tastes better. DCB with enough beef broth added to reach about 1 to 1 1/2" from the top. In the oven at 350* for 3 hours. Add the potatos and other veggies (we like sliced or baby carrots and sliced celery) and bake for another hour.

ChefBeckyD said:
This is my favorite roast recipe - it doesn't make a pot roast, but my husband says it makes even a cheap roast taste like Prime Rib. We're not big pot roast people, although occasionally I'll do one in the crockpot.

High Temperature Eye-of-Round Roast Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Thanks for sharing this new way of doing a roast (new to me anyway). I can't wait to try it! One question though and I'm not sure you have the answer; we like our meat medium - medium well, most of us prefer medium well. Do you think 9 minutes per pound would do it?

kcjodih said:
Thanks for sharing this new way of doing a roast (new to me anyway). I can't wait to try it! One question though and I'm not sure you have the answer; we like our meat medium - medium well, most of us prefer medium well. Do you think 9 minutes per pound would do it?

When you read through some of the reviews, one poster suggested having a au jus on a simmer to bring slices to the eater's likeness...HTH!

Ok, I ran out of time to make the roast today, but tomorrow hubby gets out of work early. I'm combining a few recipes and tips here. I have the "juice" in a batter bowl in the fridge. The meat has sliced garlic all over it and is also in the fridge. Hubby has directions to turn on the oven, put the meat in the DCB, add the liquid to 1" from top, and put it in the oven. I'll add the veggies after I get home. I'm excited. Thank you all for sharing your ideas and recipes. I might have to keep experimenting! It looks like I'm not the only one who has learned from this thread!

let us know how it turns out.

uhhhmmmm. I wouldn't suggest that much liquid......
your roast will make broth as it cooks and it will boil over in the oven and might catch on fire.

Teresa Lynn said:
uhhhmmmm. I wouldn't suggest that much liquid......
your roast will make broth as it cooks and it will boil over in the oven and might catch on fire.

I just read that, and was thinking the same thing! If you have that much liquid, you're going to have a mess in your oven!!!

I just had my first roast. I put all that liquid in (as suggested by a previous poster). I don't know if what I did is right or wrong, but whatever I did was delicious! Hubby loved it too.The night before I sliced garlic (using the pampered chef pencil sharpener, lol) and put it over the beef. The beef was the cheapest "pot roast" I could find. I also mixed together onion soup and cheddar soup in the batter bowl, and refrigerated that the night before. I did this because hubby was supposed to be the first home, and he was supposed to put everything together in my room-temperature DCB.I got home first (horrible headache, left work early) and preheated the oven to 350. I put the meat in the DCB, added the soups, and remembered a poster saying it needed liquid up to within 1" of the DCB. So, I added a Guinness. I put the lid on and stuck it in the oven for 2 hours 45 minutes. I checked on it intermittently because I saw this thread and the above warnings about using too much liquid. There was no threat of boiling over, and my "juice" reduced instead of raising as it cooked. When the timer went off, I added in fingerling potatoes (red and white) and baby carrots. I cooked for 1 more hour.When the timer went off I asked my husband how I'd know if it was ready. I took my tongs to the meat, and a large piece fell off. We both said at the same time "I guess it is done!"The meat literally fell apart and was very juicy and tender. The potatoes and carrots were perfectly cooked (although, I wished they had more kick). Overall, I think it was great. I think I will add more spices next time, but I enjoyed the soup and beer combo and the ease of this recipe. Thank you all for your suggestions! I hope you saw some of what you suggested in my recipe, because I was learning from you all! I did take a lot of shortcuts with the recipe in the end (easing it up for my husband, who I thought would be starting it) but it came out much better than I expected!

What is the best cut of meat for a roast?

The best cut of meat for a roast depends on personal preference, but some popular options include chuck, ribeye, and tenderloin. These cuts are typically well-marbled and tender, making them perfect for roasting.

What is the proper cooking temperature for a roast?

The recommended cooking temperature for a roast is typically between 325-375 degrees Fahrenheit. This will ensure that the meat cooks evenly and reaches a safe internal temperature.

Should I marinate my roast before cooking?

Marinating a roast can add flavor and tenderness to the meat, but it is not necessary. If you do choose to marinate, make sure to do so for at least 2 hours or overnight for best results.

How long should I let my roast rest before carving?

It is important to let your roast rest for 10-15 minutes after cooking before carving. This allows the juices to redistribute and helps keep the meat moist and flavorful.

What are some recommended side dishes to serve with a roast?

Roasts pair well with a variety of side dishes, such as roasted vegetables, mashed potatoes, and a salad. You can also use the drippings from the roast to make a delicious gravy to serve on top. Get creative and experiment with different flavors to find your perfect combination.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • esavvymom
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
ChefPaulaB
  • AnnieBee