• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Effective is Rinsing Produce in Cold Water?

In summary, the conversation is about new products from Pampered Chef and everyone's opinions and excitement about them. The most anticipated items are the bamboo products, pantry items, and collapsible bowls. The pineapple wedger and garlic slicer are also popular choices. Some are less impressed with the chip and dip and are more interested in the bamboo and stainless steamer. The shipment schedule for the new products is in the January Consultant Newsletter. Some are excited about the pineapple cutter and the kernel cutter. Others are looking forward to the new white stoneware and the steamer basket. There is a discussion about customers' wish lists for new products and how they are excited to see some of those suggestions coming to fruition.
heat123
Silver Member
I really like all of them! But my faves are:
~the pineapple wedger
~HWC all the new stuff!:love:
~All the Bamboo additions
~New Pantry items
~new cookbook 29 V2
~Different size collapsible bowls
~garlic slicer

Hmm...I am most excited about the:
Large Bamboo bowl
(the platters are awesome as well)
the new pantry items
HWC items
the different sizes of the collapsible bowl (wish they would have changed the color)
the grinder stand...too bad we have a stainless grinder set...

I am LEAST impressed with:
the chip and dip...

I was looking at my Wish List tonight on what I still won't have after all the SAT. I want all the new Bamboo and the Stainless Steamer I think first. I also want the two Collapsible Bowls. I love them personally and the color too! We just started Financial Peace University tonight so that means I have to start saving to buy more! LOL!

I am most impressed with the new Bamboo, I love all of PC's bamboo products. I like the stand as well, but it is not a must have in my book. Also the Pineapple wedger. I prefer fresh fruits and veggies to anything else, with bamboo, simple additions, and a pineapple wedger I can set a beautiful table of fresh fruits and salads. Those are my favorite shows, I guess more along the entertainment lines rather than a dinner show :eek: Maybe if I add in a 30 minute chicken I will boost my sales LoL!

So I am super excited, especially about the bamboo. When do we get SAT products usually? I earned them during the summer, but can't remember how close to the new season that I got my freebies. I am eager, ESPECIALLY FOR THE BAMBOO!

The SAT shipment schedule is in the January Consultant Newsletter.

peachey said:
So I am super excited, especially about the bamboo. When do we get SAT products usually? I earned them during the summer, but can't remember how close to the new season that I got my freebies. I am eager, ESPECIALLY FOR THE BAMBOO!

By Jan 30. It's in the CN (I think) and has been published on CC.

Thanks, I must have overlooked it in all the excitement about new stuff!

I'm excited about the Pineapple Wedger. I think it will sell well.

Personally I love the pineapple cutter. We do fresh pineapple all the time. And the garlic items, we do a lot of cooking with garlic. Oh and the kernel cutter, mmmm... fresh sweat corn!For sales, I think the bamboo, collapsible bowls and kernel cutter will be hot around here. I sold a ton of the medium bamboo bowl and the collapsible bowl so I'm hoping to continue with those. And the kernel cutter will probably end up being my next Mix N Chop (over 200 sold!).

I'm sad that I didn't earn the Pineapple Wedger, but that is definatly going to be my first purchase. Everytime I go to the grocery store, I think about buying a pineapple, but the lazy side of me kicks in and I don't buy one so I don't have to clean it. I can't wait to try it out!

super excited about the new bamboo. I cant wait to get it all. I really want the hold for the grinders.

I am excited about the grinder holder- I'm tired of having pepper all over our table!!! But LOVE cooking with the fresh peppercorn medley. yum-o!

I am excited for the new white stoneware- I personally love the cranberry and when we bought our house I had just started PC and painted our kitchen to fit the cranberry... but some of teh customers don't want to do that-- and I'm not sure why!?! :)

I am interested in seeing the kernel item- we plan to have a garden again this year and corn is our- to try- list. :)

My husband is excited about the pineapple wedger!

What I think is funny- there was a thread about what is your wish list of new PC items a while ago- and a LOT of these new items were on it from various people on the board- and I don't know who submitted it- but thank you because we all benefited from those suggestions!!

super excited about the new size collapsible bowls and the sauces and the HWC items!! I think the steamer basket will sell well... I've had customers ask for it over the past year

I'm curious about this steamer basket. When I was a kid, my grandma had something like that in her cupboards. I remember playing with it like it was a hat and having fun flipping up and down the flaps. I never saw anyone cook with it, so I have no idea how to use it. lol

candiejayne said:
I'm sad that I didn't earn the Pineapple Wedger, but that is definatly going to be my first purchase. Everytime I go to the grocery store, I think about buying a pineapple, but the lazy side of me kicks in and I don't buy one so I don't have to clean it. I can't wait to try it out!

That is soo exactly how I felt until now.... I can buy them all the time and use this cool device to get the job done faster!:chef:

The grinder holder for sure.

White stoneware ... I wish they'd come out with a white pie plate too!

Pineapple cutter might be nifty ...

I'd be more excited about the strainer that fits in the cutting board if it weren't that ugly green ...

I am really looking forward to the Pineapple Wedger and Garlic Slicer for my own personal use!

I am thinking the guests are going to love the new bamboo too!

I am :love: the HWC items too!!
All the bamboo, especially the grinder stand!
SS steamer basket
New pantry items

I love the grinder stand and hwc.

I have a quesiton about the collapsible strainer for those of you who saw it. I see how it'll fit in the cutting board but I don't understand how to use it. I see myself trying to balance it over the sink...

Favs: Love the bamboo! Especially the grinder tray, platters, cracker tray, snack bowls. I'm also excited about the pineapple wedger and cookbooks.

Least fav (for now - my mind will probably change): square paking pan but I know there's a market for that so it's good anyway - my opinion isn't as important as that of my customers. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure about the white stoneware. I know it will sell but personally I'm not thrilled but then I L:love:VE the cranberry and the pictures just may not do the white justice.

I'm actually glad they didn't change the summer colors. I am glad we are adding to what we and our customers already have vs starting all over. The green has grown on me. I wish we'd have done patriotic colors instead but since we didn't go that way this is better than rebuying every year.

I'm super excited about the bamboo towels, and the garlic peeler slicer set! My mom is a member of an RV group, and she loves the cutting board w/ measuring cups, as it fits across her sink perfectly to give more counter space, and saves space w/ the measuring cups fitting right inside. She's excited about the new collapsible strainer as an accessory! (I'm sure it will work best w/ a sink w/ a hand-wand)

cookin to the top said:
I'm super excited about the bamboo towels, and the garlic peeler slicer set! My mom is a member of an RV group, and she loves the cutting board w/ measuring cups, as it fits across her sink perfectly to give more counter space, and saves space w/ the measuring cups fitting right inside. She's excited about the new collapsible strainer as an accessory!

Ohhhh! I forgot about those towels! I can't wait for those either!

babywings76 said:
I'm curious about this steamer basket. When I was a kid, my grandma had something like that in her cupboards. I remember playing with it like it was a hat and having fun flipping up and down the flaps. I never saw anyone cook with it, so I have no idea how to use it. lol
The steamer is very much like the one your (and my) grandmother had. But it's got silicone feet so that it's nonstick-safe. It'll fit any pan from a 3 quart saucepan to the 12" skillet. I'm excited about it - more cooking shows and magazines have been talking about how steaming is better than boiling because it's quicker and nutrients don't go down the drain with the water.

BethCooks4U said:
I have a quesiton about the collapsible strainer for those of you who saw it. I see how it'll fit in the cutting board but I don't understand how to use it. I see myself trying to balance it over the sink...
I'm with you on that one, too. They mentioned cutting things, then pushing them into the strainer to rinse. That's backwards from how I work (I wash first, then cut). It does look like it would be a good small strainer without the cutting board for those who have limited space, like really small apartments or RVs.

I can't think of anything that I'm not impressed with this season! The Pantry Items are fabuous. Lovin' the new bamboo, wasn't excited with the white stoneware until I saw it. I am MOST EXCITED about the HWC items!!!!! May will be awesome this year!

chefann said:
The steamer is very much like the one your (and my) grandmother had. But it's got silicone feet so that it's nonstick-safe. It'll fit any pan from a 3 quart saucepan to the 12" skillet. I'm excited about it - more cooking shows and magazines have been talking about how steaming is better than boiling because it's quicker and nutrients don't go down the drain with the water..

It's also much sturdier

And there's a steamed dumpling recipe in the SBRC that sounds like a good way to break it in. :)

chefann said:
And there's a steamed dumpling recipe in the SBRC that sounds like a good way to break it in. :)

Maybe serve them with the new dipping sauces....mmmm mmmm good!

Maybe use the new Bamboo Platter and Small Bamboo Bowls....pretty!

I am excited about everything except the kernel cutter, garlic peeler & garlic slicer.
I don't dislike them....but they just don't excite me.

I am EXTREMELY excited about the:

Pineapple Slicer/Peeler thingy
Steamer! (I've wanted one of these!)
S&P Stand
New Sauces and Seasonings (because I am a condiments junkie!)
29 Minutes Vol 2
8x8 baking pan - because we needed something that size!
HWC products!

chefann said:
The steamer is very much like the one your (and my) grandmother had. But it's got silicone feet so that it's nonstick-safe. It'll fit any pan from a 3 quart saucepan to the 12" skillet. I'm excited about it - more cooking shows and magazines have been talking about how steaming is better than boiling because it's quicker and nutrients don't go down the drain with the water.

I'm with you on that one, too. They mentioned cutting things, then pushing them into the strainer to rinse. That's backwards from how I work (I wash first, then cut). It does look like it would be a good small strainer without the cutting board for those who have limited space, like really small apartments or RVs.

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with questions about this product! I agree with Beth that it seems backwards (and, frankly, unsafe) to chop then wash your produce. If you don't clean your produce before you slice / cut / chop it, you can carry any bacteria, etc that are on the surface into the the fruit. Remeber a few yrs ago there was a big warning about cantaloupes. People weren't washing them prior to cutting them & salmonella was being carried from the rind into the part of the melon that you eat.

So... if we're aren't going to chop then wash.... how do we use it? I LOVE :love:my CB w MC & like the concept of adding to it... but not sure of the uses for the collapsible strainer.:confused:

peichef said:
Well I'm glad I'm not the only one with questions about this product! I agree with Beth that it seems backwards (and, frankly, unsafe) to chop then wash your produce. If you don't clean your produce before you slice / cut / chop it, you can carry any bacteria, etc that are on the surface into the the fruit. Remeber a few yrs ago there was a big warning about cantaloupes. People weren't washing them prior to cutting them & salmonella was being carried from the rind into the part of the melon that you eat.

So... if we're aren't going to chop then wash.... how do we use it? I LOVE :love:my CB w MC & like the concept of adding to it... but not sure of the uses for the collapsible strainer.:confused:

Well, for all you food safety experts...most people (I think) just "wash" their produce by rinsing it under cool water. Doesn't that technically not remove any bacteria? I thought only hot water killed bacteria.

*Pineapple wedger--showed the pic to my MIL and have one sold already!
*Stand for the grinders
*HWC stuff is SOOOOOOOOOO much better than last year--nobody really wanted it!
*I'm hoping the Kernel cutter lives up to my expectations--live in a farm community and we put up corn in the summer--

I love the steamer because the one I have is always a struggle getting it out of the pan when it is hot. Ours has a silicone handle- fantastic.

I am excited about most things except I don't get the new tongs. So pointy - more like a weapon than anything. And the little strainer for the cutting board seems useless.

The bamboo is beautiful and I think the garlic slicer will go over well. Not everyone wants to mince their garlic and I think it will make a fun presentation for your guests.

Can't wait to get my box!!!:sing:

leftymac said:
Well, for all you food safety experts...most people (I think) just "wash" their produce by rinsing it under cool water. Doesn't that technically not remove any bacteria? I thought only hot water killed bacteria.

I do know for cantaloupe they say not to rinse, but to scrub. As far as I know cold water is okay b/c you are rinsing (ie: running under water to remove dirt, etc) to clean. I know I scrub any veggies / fruit that can stand up to it. For berries (which can't be scrubbed) I buy organic (because berries are very porous & are essentially little balls full of chemicals if they aren't organic) & rinse them as well as I can. Then I spin them in the salad spinner.

Good question about cold vs hot water for washing produce, Keith... I'll be interested to see what people have to say.

ChefBeckyD said:
I am excited about everything except the kernel cutter, garlic peeler & garlic slicer.
I don't dislike them....but they just don't excite me.

I am EXTREMELY excited about the:

Pineapple Slicer/Peeler thingy
Steamer! (I've wanted one of these!)
S&P Stand
New Sauces and Seasonings (because I am a condiments junkie!)
29 Minutes Vol 2
8x8 baking pan - because we needed something that size!
HWC products!

Ya know, I wasn't excited about the garlic slicer until they talked about using it with chocolate and parmeasan cheese to make shavings!!:D

I can't wait for my boxes!!! I really can't wait!

leftymac said:

Hot water kills bacteria only when the item is immersed for a certain period of time and the water has to be no less than 180 degrees.

Yer melons would be cooked!

Another exciting fact :indif: from your friendly food service director and former teacher of the 10 hour Restaurant Food Safety course through NY State Education department!

baychef said:
Hot water kills bacteria only when the item is immersed for a certain period of time and the water has to be no less than 180 degrees.

Yer melons would be cooked!

Another exciting fact :indif: from your friendly food service director and former teacher of the 10 hour Restaurant Food Safety course through NY State Education department!

Right...so how much does rinsing our produce in cold water *really* do? I know people who freak out if you don't rinse something before eating it and I'm like "wtf"?

And if my memory serves me correctly (which is under much debate)..simply rinsing produce as best you can is all you can do. Scrubbing it will mearly expose any food borne illness into the interior part of you vegetables or fruit more rapidly.

Two cases of famous food borne illness:

Melons were found to be the source of samonella a few years back. How? The bacteria was on the exterior of the melon. Simply the blade of your knive pushing through the fruit exposed the interior part of the melon. The blade dragged the bacteria through the melon.

Source: workers in fields in another country were not given proper hand washing facilities to use after going to the potty. In fact some did not even have bathroom facilities...you can fill in the blanks from there!

The famous bagged spinach about 2 years ago was contaminated with a food borne illness. These items maybe prewashed but it does not kill food borne illness.

To really make you want to be a bubble person? Some food borne illness is resistant to heat or cold.

Microbiology is a fun read some night when you can't get to sleep. And applying too much hand sanitizer may make you more resistant to fighting bacteria.:eek:

leftymac said:
Right...so how much does rinsing our produce in cold water *really* do? I know people who freak out if you don't rinse something before eating it and I'm like "wtf"?

Rinsing removes any surface dirt. People think that hand washing their glasses, etc. in hot soapy water, rinse and air dry is 100% safe. That is called "cleaning" which is the removal of any debris.

Sanitizing is the only way to kill most bacteria. And with utensils, etc. they have to be immersed 1 full minute in a small concentration of water and bleach (you only need about 1 tsp. of bleach per gallon of water). Or you can have the item be held in 180 degree water. We have booster heaters on our dishwashers here because if the water coming out of the tap was 180 degrees, you would burn your skin.

1. How effective is rinsing produce in cold water?

Rinsing produce in cold water is a simple and effective way to remove dirt, debris, and bacteria from the surface of fruits and vegetables. Cold water helps to remove any visible dirt or residue, while also reducing the risk of bacterial contamination. However, it is important to note that rinsing may not completely remove all bacteria or pesticides from produce, so it is always recommended to thoroughly wash and scrub produce before consuming.

2. What are the benefits of using the pineapple wedger?

The Pampered Chef pineapple wedger is a convenient tool that makes it easy to core and slice fresh pineapple in just seconds. This handy gadget is not only time-saving, but it also helps to create uniform slices and reduces the mess and hassle of cutting a pineapple by hand. Plus, the wedger can also be used for other fruits like watermelon, cantaloupe, and honeydew for added versatility in the kitchen.

3. What new products are available in the HWC line?

The Pampered Chef HWC (Help Whip Cancer) line offers a variety of new and exclusive products that help support breast cancer research and awareness. Some popular items include the HWC Flex & Scrape, which is a flexible silicone scraper designed for scraping bowls and jars clean, and the HWC Bamboo Kitchen Towel, which is an eco-friendly and absorbent towel that can be used for drying dishes and hands in the kitchen.

4. Can you tell me more about the new pantry items?

The new pantry items from Pampered Chef include a range of seasonings, sauces, and mixes that are perfect for adding flavor and convenience to your meals. Some popular options include the Pineapple Habanero Sauce, Garlic & Herb Rub, and Taco Seasoning Mix. These pantry items are made with high-quality ingredients and are free from artificial preservatives, colors, and flavors.

5. What is special about the new cookbook 29 V2?

Cookbook 29 V2 is the latest edition of Pampered Chef's popular cookbook series. This edition features 29 new and delicious recipes that are perfect for everyday meals and special occasions. The cookbook also includes helpful tips and techniques, as well as beautiful photography to inspire your cooking. Plus, with every purchase of Cookbook 29 V2, a donation is made to Feeding America to help fight hunger in the United States.

6. What are the different sizes available for the collapsible bowls?

The Pampered Chef collapsible bowls come in three different sizes: small (1.5 cups), medium (3 cups), and large (5 cups). These bowls are perfect for meal prep, storage, and serving, and can easily collapse for compact storage when not in use. The bowls are also microwave and dishwasher safe for added convenience.

7. How does the garlic slicer work?

The Pampered Chef garlic slicer is a handy tool for quickly and easily slicing garlic into thin, even slices. Simply peel a clove of garlic and place it in the slicer, then roll the slicer back and forth to create perfectly sliced garlic. This tool is great for saving time and achieving consistent results when cooking with garlic.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
esavvymom
  • slapsappyhappy
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • heat123
  • Products and Tips
Replies