• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do you handle a negativity queen at a show?

In summary, the conversation is about dealing with a negative person at a show, referred to as the "negativity queen". The person asking for advice assigned a "negativity cop" to handle the situation, but it did not work. They ask for pointers in dealing with a guest like this. Others share their experiences and suggest ways to handle the situation, such as using the opportunity to talk about the company's return policy and being upfront about their own dislikes for certain products. The conversation also includes a host warning about a guest who claims to hate Pampered Chef, and the host's plan to handle the situation.
pregochef
I was wondering how everyone handles a "negativity queen" at a show. Last night I assigned a "negativity cop" to someone, but it was a smaller crowd & she didn't exactly do very much with it. There was someone there, let's just call her the "negativity queen" (NQ), who decided to express all her issues/concerns with almost every product that she had that I talked about. EEEEEEEEEEEEEK!

Being new, I did not have all the answers or a good way to put a positive spin on some of her concerns. Can anyone give me pointers in dealing with a guest like this?

BTW, thank you for all the postings regarding products - I did review those yesterday before the show - If it weren't for all the postings I had read yesterday, I know that I would not have handled the NQ as well as I did.

Just tell her, well if you don't like the products, then PC isn't for you, just like not everyone will shop at a specific clothing store. However, Pampered Chef has millions of satisfied repeat customers and ships over 20,000 packages a day and you know many people who have had products for 15 years without issues (those people are here, one being me!)

It's hard to redirect a completely negative person, you'd love to tell them to just shut up or leave. However, rest assured, usually their friends know they are there to cause trouble and don't believe them!

I have a show coming up on Tuesday and when I was host coaching the host told me, "A woman named xxxx is coming. When she RSVPed she said, "I'm coming but I want you to know, I HATE Pampered Chef!'" So why even come?

Should be interesting...

finley1991 said:
I have a show coming up on Tuesday and when I was host coaching the host told me, "A woman named xxxx is coming. When she RSVPed she said, "I'm coming but I want you to know, I HATE Pampered Chef!'" So why even come?

Should be interesting...

That's what I always wonder...I think these people thrive by trying to make other people miserable...

Not enough self-esteem so they have to knock others down to make them be built up...

finley1991 said:

Should be interesting...
WTH??? That's crazy! You're right, why even come? Sounds like she basically wants to do the equivalent of pick a fight. How immature. :yuck: I guess it's nice to have the warning! I'm sure you can gather enough comebacks here to be prepared! Who knows, maybe she'll be a booking! Or better yet (or not) a recruit lead. You can tell her one way you can turn her opinion of PC around is if she becomes a consultant and lives it for herself!! HA!

Thanks Becky! When I heard that I was like, BRING HER ON!!!

I'm sure I can handle it... It should be interesting! I'm actually intrigued. And I agree... why even come if she hates us?

Actually, when they complain I call that my "Dr. Phil" part of my show (How's that workin' for ya) instead of shooing them away from PC I use that as an opportunity to talk about our fantastic return policy.... & for them not to keep it in a drawer or throw it away because it does not affect my commission.... I also tell them the few products I don't care for I'm very upfront with my dislike of a couple of things i tell them it doesn't work for me and I'm not a trained chef but after 13 years it still doesn't work for me if they purchase it and are disatisfied let me know and I'll tell them how to replace it with something they'll enjoy using.
some people will not return things because they think we lose credit on their sale.
I also feel them out to see what type of cook they are & what might work better for them.

Well Said!!!!

Teresa Lynn said:
Actually, when they complain I call that my "Dr. Phil" part of my show (How's that workin' for ya) instead of shooing them away from PC I use that as an opportunity to talk about our fantastic return policy.... & for them not to keep it in a drawer or throw it away because it does not affect my commission.... I also tell them the few products I don't care for I'm very upfront with my dislike of a couple of things i tell them it doesn't work for me and I'm not a trained chef but after 13 years it still doesn't work for me if they purchase it and are disatisfied let me know and I'll tell them how to replace it with something they'll enjoy using.
some people will not return things because they think we lose credit on their sale.
I also feel them out to see what type of cook they are & what might work better for them.
That's a good idea. Plus, it probably helps if we casually mention that us helping them return/exchange something DOESN'T get us more commission, so it's not like we're doing it for a financial gain. It's just our good-hearted customer service help.:D Then they'll maybe lighten up a little if they're bitter about it.

Yep, I do the "PC has a great return policy" thing, too.

Teresa Lynn said:

That's such a good idea - I never thought of approaching it from that direction... I am going to try it at my show next week.

Great response about the Return Policy :)Meanwhile, maybe she "Hates PC"....saying that to hostess so she won't feel obligated to purchase anything?Sigh!

I always think of situations like this....when all else fails.

Tomorrow, I will wake up and STILL love PC and STILL be a happy person.

And tomorrow SHE will wake up, still hate PC and STILL be a "not" happy person.

So who's the winner here?

Kill her with kindness, refuse to be intimidated. More than likely, everyone KONWS how she is and pays no attention to her anyway!

Lorian Rivers
Port Richey, FL

ps...Mary G...love the "have PC, will travel"!

Hi Ladies!

I also have had the negativity queens at my shows and they can really drag a show down. However, I was at a meeting the other day and the speaker asked us why people come to our PC shows. Here's a newsflash--people come to the shows because they want/need the opportunity to get together with family and friends and have a fun night out. That is what our cooking shows provide. They don't need to come to the show to order PC products--they can place an outside order or order online. Believe me, it was like a lightbulb went on when I heard this.

So this is what I have been saying at my shows: "Now, I know that all of you are here to have fun tonight with family and friends, I also know that not all of you are Pampered Chef Queens--you know, have it all, love it all--and that is okay. So here is what we are gonna do, if you do not like a particular product/person, that someone else really loves, we are going to say "that is really special". And when you do this I will know exactly what you are saying, because as my daughter said to me one day as a I was complaining about something--"Mom, don't yuck someone else's yum!"

This always gets a good laugh from everyone, and the one's who don't like PC products realize that I am saying that it is ok not to like my products, because let's face it there are some products that I just don't get and to me it is "really special"!

chefqueda said:
Hi Ladies!

So this is what I have been saying at my shows: "Now, I know that all of you are here to have fun tonight with family and friends, I also know that not all of you are Pampered Chef Queens--you know, have it all, love it all--and that is okay. So here is what we are gonna do, if you do not like a particular product/person, that someone else really loves, we are going to say "that is really special". And when you do this I will know exactly what you are saying, because as my daughter said to me one day as a I was complaining about something--"Mom, don't yuck someone else's yum!"

this is really good i will have to remember this!!

thanks!!

I think that the best thing you can do is to stick up for the products that you know work well...they do sell themselves! Last week I did an office show. Anyway, one single lady had such a negative opinion on just about everything. She was actually taking away sales! She didn't like the Food Copper and about everything else ... blah, blah, blah...etc. Anyway, I took out the Chopper and showed the group all of the things it could do and how easy it was to wash. Out of 13 people - I sold 8 choppers - even one to the "negativity queen"!

finley1991 said:

Should be interesting...

So, Colleen, how did this go?? We're dying to know!! Did she end up showing? Did she heckle you? How'd you handle it? Can't wait to here what happened. I hope she treated you and the guests and host right, and you didn't end up having any issues with her at all. ;)
~Vicks

Vicks said:
So, Colleen, how did this go?? We're dying to know!! Did she end up showing? Did she heckle you? How'd you handle it? Can't wait to here what happened. I hope she treated you and the guests and host right, and you didn't end up having any issues with her at all. ;)
~Vicks
Ditto!! Be sure to let us know!! You're our hero for the cause! :)

Oh my gosh! I totally forgot about the bad guest coming to the show!!!! There were about 16 there and we started 45 minutes late (host's request). If she was there, I didn't know it! I wonder which one she was... I'll have to ask my host today! About 5 she was expecting didn't show so she might have been one of those. No one gave me a hard time... actually, they didn't talk at ALL through my entire demo and it kind of freaked me out... I thought they weren't having a good time! After, though, I received a lot of compliments and they were all just listening attentively. Go figure!

I'll check with my host to see which one she was and then report back! Thanks for asking!

When I hear negative feedback by "one of those people," I immediately say, "well, let me tell you my thoughts on being stuck with a product you don't like. The last thing I want is for you to open up your cabinet everyday and think 'there's that Pampered Chef THING Kim sold me. I hate that stupid thing. It doesn't do what she said it would, and I wish I'd never bought it.' No, I want you to open that cabinet and think, no, SING!, 'OOOOOH WEEEEEEE, I get to use my Pampered Chef THING now, and I just LOVE LOVE LOVE Kim for telling me about it, because it has made all the difference in the world to my time in the kitchen! CHA CHA CHA!' Because I will tell you right now that I will never sell you something I don't think will work for you, or that I don't think you will use. In fact, if I think you're buying something for X purpose, and I know it won't serve your X purpose, but it will serve Z purpose, I'm going to tell you, and I'll probably flat-out refuse to sell it to you. It is very important to me that you own things that work for you. So, going forward, while I'm your consultant, if you do buy something from me that ends up being a disappointment, let me know, and together we can figure out the best solution for you, whether it's another product, a refund, or just a refresher lesson on how to use it."I'm a goofball, and am pretty animated, so the singing part suits my personality, but getting this point across to the whole group from the first negative comment kinda makes any further negative comments moot, so they don't approach it that way. ESPECIALLY since I said a quick refresher on how to use it-- instead most people bring it up by saying, "now I have that, but I must not be using it right," or something like that. It really diffuses the negativity, and makes it all so much more pleasant.

Hey, Kim, that's the spirit of what I say at parties. I've never sung it, but I love your wording. I may need to, um, borrow it. ;)

What should I do if I receive negative feedback at a show?

If you receive negative feedback at a show, the first thing you should do is remain calm and professional. Take a deep breath and listen to the feedback with an open mind. It's important to not take the feedback personally and instead use it as an opportunity to improve.

How should I respond to negative feedback from a customer?

The best way to respond to negative feedback from a customer is to thank them for their feedback and let them know that you value their opinion. Ask them if there is anything specific that you can do to address their concerns and make sure to follow up with them to show that you take their feedback seriously.

What if the negative feedback is about a specific product?

If the negative feedback is about a specific product, offer to exchange the product for a different one or provide a refund. Make sure to also take note of the feedback and pass it on to your team so they can look into any potential issues with the product.

How can I prevent negative feedback at shows?

Preventing negative feedback at shows starts with providing excellent customer service. Make sure to properly demonstrate and explain products, answer any questions, and be attentive to your customers' needs. Also, make sure to have a variety of products available to meet different preferences and needs.

What should I do if the negative feedback is about my presentation or demonstration?

If the negative feedback is about your presentation or demonstration, take it as an opportunity to improve. Ask for specific feedback and make adjustments accordingly. You can also consider attending training sessions or workshops to improve your presentation skills.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• feather18
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
pampchefrhondab
  • Brenda.the.chef
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Nancynap
  • pamperedchef88