• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How do you handle a chatty audience during a party demonstration?

In summary, the conversation discusses a recent show where the host and guests were very talkative and not paying attention during the presentation. The speaker shares strategies for dealing with this situation, such as getting the host's attention and involving the guests in the demo, as well as bringing alcohol to make the show more interactive. They also mention the importance of knowing the audience and adjusting the presentation accordingly. Some suggest just letting the guests have fun and not worrying too much about the lack of attention.
Jenni
I had a show last night...nine came, $530 in sales, super nice host! Sound pretty good right? Well the bad part was they all never stopped talking to even listen to me a little bit. When this happens what do you do? I just kinda would pause, and wait a while till they shut up and start going again. It was hard and a we bit frustrating. Then if that wasn't enough it was a 7 show and I left at 11... they all sat there with order forms talking and talking. One minute it was what will they get then the next it was funny stories, then the back to what they would order. Straggling up to the check out one by one. A 7 show I feel I should be in my car no later then 10. Anyone have advice??? There was some drinking involved! This was my first part crowd!

In those situations I have started to ask for theur attention for just a few minutes and explain that I understand that they are really in need of some fun and socializing so I will make the demo recipe. If anyone has questions they can ask. Then I will announce when I am ready to take orders (this usually gets people moving). When finished with an order if no one is waiting say "Next?" untill you have gotten thru everyone. Pack up your stuff before order taking. It should help a bit.

Oh girl, I have been there, my guests got up in the middle of my demo to watch American Idol. Some people just don't think. I have been getting the guests involved in the demo and that has cut down on the chitter chatter and inattentivness ( sp??) When I am done, I announce I will betaking orders and if no one comes to where I am set up, I walk around and ask if they are ready and have any questions, then that gets people moving, then they go and get the next person. It is frustrtaing, I know, we all have been there. Even before I got into this business, I never talked during a demo/presentation and always paid attention and had my order ready. I can't stand rudeness!!

I bring a tazer gun. :) Kidding. I am on board with what Paulette said. One time I just sat down next to one of the guests and TWENTY minutes later they realized that there wasn't a show going on.

They all stopped and looked rather embarrassed for not paying attention. And I just smiled and said, "Alright, now where were we?" And then I just continued on from there. They paid attention the rest of the night. They had giggle water at that show, too.

I started asking hosts what their beverage of choice was going to be for the evening, and that would help me plan my show and what to bring a little better. The giggle water makes people buy a little more, but care less about you and your demo- so those shows would be more about what's in my tool-turn-about than here is everything I own, come and play with it. I also made the shows with the giggle water more interactive to keep their minds on the show/party and less on ignoring me. (because isn't the show all about me and how fun I am, anyway?) LOL (kidding on that one!)

I had this problem at a couple of my shows. My director just told me that she calls the "ring leader's" name and ask them to help with the demo. If this doesn't work she continues to go down the line calling them by name when she needs volunteers or asks a question. It tends to bring their focus back.

I don't do nothing...they are having FUN and that's my whole goal for the party. If it's a PARTY ~ then they should be having FUN.

Few things:
1)If you're still calling yours a "SHOW" ~ interpretation: "come see, and buy" type of thing and not a PARTY ~ people want to have FUN!
2) Know your crowd ~ are they seasoned? Then they will be bored with you talking about everything. I ask THEM how THEY used particular items.
3) Interactive shows are great for chatty crowd. They end up selling the stuff themselves.

Kitchen2u said:
I don't do nothing...they are having FUN and that's my whole goal for the party. If it's a PARTY ~ then they should be having FUN. Few things:
1)If you're still calling yours a "SHOW" ~ interpretation: "come see, and buy" type of thing and not a PARTY ~ people want to have FUN!
2) Know your crowd ~ are they seasoned? Then they will be bored with you talking about everything. I ask THEM how THEY used particular items.
3) Interactive shows are great for chatty crowd. They end up selling the stuff themselves.
I do need to work on the party wording... very good tip. Thank ya
They did order and they did have a good time. So do you just keep going with your recipe? I couldn't get much interactivity from them, and thats not usually a problem for me. Which made feel a little out of my box.

Last edited:
Kitchen2u said:
I don't do nothing...they are having FUN and that's my whole goal for the party. If it's a PARTY ~ then they should be having FUN.

Few things:

I totally agree Ginny! And, about the ordering, I would say, this is your last chance if you'd like me to add your order or answer any of your questions this evening! I'm going to be taking off here in a few minutes so you girls can have some more fun!!! Thanks again for coming!

twinkie10 said:
I totally agree Ginny! And, about the ordering, I would say, this is your last chance if you'd like me to add your order or answer any of your questions this evening! I'm going to be taking off here in a few minutes so you girls can have some more fun!!! Thanks again for coming!

I like your verbage!!:D :D

I find that Friday nights and alcohol tend to create the kind of party you have
described. Mine did not have alcohol but it was chatty last night. Getting
them to try the tools was easy and they really enjoyed the opportunity. The first person to arrive used the most tools and purchased enough to get the free knife. The others bought less but the party was more successful for the
hostess than the one she had 2 years ago. No one had been to a party since then, so they enjoyed seeing all the new products and using them. They commented on liking the hands on. We did the red, white and blue Trifle.

Jenni said:
They did order and they did have a good time. So do you just keep going with your recipe? I couldn't get much interactivity from them, and thats not usually a problem for me. Which made feel a little out of my box.

So they had a great time...mission accomplished!

Name tags are a great way to get interactivity going. Calling them up by name is not only personal, they know it's THEM!

"Suzy, can I have your help up here?"

If the crowd seems to be reluctant. Give the first person who does a twixit...cheap...but folks like FREE stuff!

It sounds like your guests really had a good time! That is why people like going to parties to have a good time! Too bad you got stuck there for four hours, this has happened to me before, actually just last week I got stuck for 3.5 hours because people were chatty, but once I got them up in the kitchen cooking things went along well. They still chatted and laughed in the kitchen too but they were having a great time... the better time they have, the more money they spend and the more bookings you will have! At the end I had a hard time getting them to check out too. So I started packing up after 20 minutes of no one checking out, and they started to realize what time it was and started ordering! But... out of a show that only 4 people attended, and three booked shows of their own, I think it went fine! Sometimes the time thing is a price you pay to get the business going...

My advice is to keep it as interactive as possible, i put the steps of the recipes on cards and give each guest a card as they come in. I also have FOUR commercial breaks during the show, and when it comes to the commercial break I hand the card to a random guest and have them "ask" me a question!

If no one seems to be checking out, start packing up some of your display items so they see that your time is wrapping up, and they will get movin'!

Kitchen2u said:

Few things:
I do kinda have to agree-it is a party and maybe they haven't gotten to get out in AGES! Maybe they haven't seen each other in a long time, or maybe you are just showing them a really good time...They are having fun and that is what it is all about-name tags can help and maybe get them to try to help sell those products. Get them to talk about their faves! If you really need to get out of there-pack up a little and they will kind of get the message...but definitely let them have fun-they will buy more...

I did a show a month ago with 23 women, NONE of whom were listening to me--and even joked about it--"ha ha, we're not listening to you, hope you don't mind, ha ha". I just prepared the food anyway. But the mouthiest and of course most obnoxious one didn't place an order. Then at the end of the evening when I was packing up she said "we talked too much didn't we?" and I replied sweetly "yeah". I don't care if they chit chat but they were like--mocking me. I don't mind if they talk but not to the point of being rude. No bookings and I don't care.

Nanisu said:
I did a show a month ago with 23 women, NONE of whom were listening to me--and even joked about it--"ha ha, we're not listening to you, hope you don't mind, ha ha". I just prepared the food anyway. But the mouthiest and of course most obnoxious one didn't place an order. Then at the end of the evening when I was packing up she said "we talked too much didn't we?" and I replied sweetly "yeah". I don't care if they chit chat but they were like--mocking me. I don't mind if they talk but not to the point of being rude. No bookings and I don't care.
Yeah, I hate rudeness. I like the fun rowdy group. Have one tomorrow in fact. Just hate people being rude and ignoring you totally. That's why I think it's good to do interactive shows as they will be standing up around the table instead of sitting and socializing and ignoring my demo. Plenty of time to socialize after we are done "playing". How much was that show anyway?

I've had the same problem at some of my shows. I started doing the interactive shows and it has helped alot. One host even stood in front of my demo table and told a story about something that happened at work. I just stopped what I was doing and waited on her to move. I think her aunt noticed I was annoyed and told her to move over because they couldn't see what I was doing.
Too much talking and too many kids can make for uncomfortable shows. I've dealt with both. Kids can ok if they're made to behave. But if they run around the whole time and grab my tools and ask me 1000 questions during my demo, that's when I'm ready to pack up and leave. The talking is ok too if it's about PC but when they started telling stories of stuff that happened at work or something going on with the kids, that's rude. My demos only last about 45 min at the most so they have plenty of time after that to chit chat. They came to see a demo and the polite thing to do is sit there long enough to see it.
Hope your next show goes better. But the sales at yours were great! My sales with the host standing in front barely got to $150.

I bring a small bag of patatoes...and ask each person how they would prepare it and with what, this gets them to watch each other as they try the tools and yeah, gabbing doesn't stop but the are interactive while doing it and after each one is done with their tater I move on to the next person and so on...this tends to keep it down to a small roar. I don't know if this helps, hopefully just a thought.

smspamperedchef said:
Yeah, I hate rudeness. I like the fun rowdy group. Have one tomorrow in fact. Just hate people being rude and ignoring you totally. That's why I think it's good to do interactive shows as they will be standing up around the table instead of sitting and socializing and ignoring my demo. Plenty of time to socialize after we are done "playing". How much was that show anyway?

Yes I feel the same way! I find that I dont like the spotlight much anyways, so making them do the cooking and most of the talking works really well for me, and something else that keeps them focused is tickets- i give out tickets for positive (not negative) enthusiasm, and talking about products, helping out, etc. I find this works way better with larger chatty crowds because they switch their focus from each other to being goofy and "showing off" to get more tickets! Like others have said, they sell to each other without even knowing it and create alot of positive energy at the show, in turn you will get more bookings and great sales!

When I do interactive it seems the guests are more focused on the products & recipe. We talk about different kitchen/product tips. I like to let them know I learn from them too.

I seem to have a line for checkout and it gets out of hand because they are all nearby talking & I don't get to do the full-service checkout because I get interrupted so much. I am thinking of having an "in-box" for their orders so maybe I'll be able to have better one on one with each guest. I try to find a quiet area away from the crowd but they migrate.

Any ideas?

Chef Endora said:
When I do interactive it seems the guests are more focused on the products & recipe. We talk about different kitchen/product tips. I like to let them know I learn from them too.

I seem to have a line for checkout and it gets out of hand because they are all nearby talking & I don't get to do the full-service checkout because I get interrupted so much. I am thinking of having an "in-box" for their orders so maybe I'll be able to have better one on one with each guest. I try to find a quiet area away from the crowd but they migrate.

Any ideas?

What I've been doing, has been working REALLY well. I ask the HOST to get their attention and explain where I'm going to be taking orders and I'll be there for ___ amount of time.

Then, I say "While I'm going to be taking orders over (place) and I want to give ALL of you quality customer service YOU deserve. If someone is sitting with me, then if you would kindly turn over your order form and I'll will call you over in the order I received it."

It's been working like a charm and my customers are loving not having to stand in a line.

Last edited:
Jenni said:
I had a show last night...nine came, $530 in sales, super nice host! Sound pretty good right? Well the bad part was they all never stopped talking to even listen to me a little bit. When this happens what do you do? I just kinda would pause, and wait a while till they shut up and start going again. It was hard and a we bit frustrating. Then if that wasn't enough it was a 7 show and I left at 11... they all sat there with order forms talking and talking. One minute it was what will they get then the next it was funny stories, then the back to what they would order. Straggling up to the check out one by one. A 7 show I feel I should be in my car no later then 10. Anyone have advice??? There was some drinking involved! This was my first part crowd!

My last show was very chatty. We started on time at 7pm though, no one wanted to 'interact' so I shifted to a regular demo which I did nuts to bolts in 30 minutes... the 8 guests perused, chatted and I'd just offer "let me know if you have any questions with what to order or figuring out the math" I take my laptop... this keeps them on course. I was out of there by 9pm and most of the guests were still there! LOL... it was loud, chaotic and frustrating but really the only thing you can do is keep your demo short (prep what you can ahead of time) try and keep folks on track with ordering and let them know you'll be out of their hair as soon as everyone's done with their orders and they can get to visiting and chatting.

Related to How do you handle a chatty audience during a party demonstration?

1. What is "My Show Last Night...sm Vent"?

"My Show Last Night...sm Vent" is a fun and interactive way for guests to share their experience and feedback from a Pampered Chef party or cooking show. It allows them to reflect on their favorite products, recipes, and memories from the event.

2. How do I access "My Show Last Night...sm Vent"?

You can access "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" by logging into your Pampered Chef account and clicking on the "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" tab. Alternatively, your Pampered Chef consultant can provide you with a link to access it.

3. Can I share my "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" post on social media?

Yes, you can easily share your "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" post on social media by clicking on the share button next to your post. This is a great way to spread the word about your Pampered Chef experience and invite others to join in on the fun!

4. Will my "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" post be visible to others?

Yes, your "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" post will be visible to others who have access to the website. This includes your Pampered Chef consultant and other guests who attended the same party or cooking show.

5. Can I edit or delete my "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" post?

Yes, you can edit or delete your "My Show Last Night...sm Vent" post at any time by clicking on the edit or delete button next to your post. Keep in mind that once you delete your post, it cannot be recovered.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MLinAZ
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • cookingwithkelly