• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Should I Handle Miscommunication During a Promotional Event?

In summary, the consultant received a call from a " Margaret" with the Pampered Chef HO, who congratulated the consultant on their sales. The consultant did not believe the host when she said it was the HO, and the host and guests were disappointed when it turned out to be someone else. The consultant should let HO know how the call did not go and they should not have been making calls during this particular promo.
cookingwithkelly
I need your advice:

I was about 30 mins into my show tonight, had already told everyone about the promotion/contest going on all week, and to be listening for the phone to ring. My cell phone goes, so I decide to check it- it's a 1-888 number, so I answer. It's a Margaret w/ the Pampered Chef HO- at this point my Host is all smiles, everyone is cheering- Margaret asks if it's a good time to chat- I say I'm in the middle of the show and everyones's excited- she says she's calling to congratulate me on my sales!!!!!!!!!! I said "You're not calling about the promotion?"- she said No and then I said "You're kidding, right?"!!! Apparently she wasn't.

What should I do- the Host and Guests were totally bummed:cry::cry:- they thought we had all won- what was HO doing calling me at 7 p.m. on a Thursday night during a promo week?? I would like my Host and Guests to at least receive their prizes- what do you all think- what would you do in my shoes?

On a bright note, the show sits at $804 in commissionable sales, w/ several orders still coming in!!

Let me know please!!

Thanks so much

OH MAN!!!! that is awesome that you got a call regarding your sales though!! Congrats!!
I would call HO tomorrow and see what if anything they can do or at least mention that during promo weeks they should not have anyone calling during that week unless you have won.
That is unfortunate. Let us know what you find out.

I can't believe they called in the evening....even though Chicago hours are not the same as yours. You would think they would know that everyone is excited about the possibility of winning.

It was a strange time to call. It should have been coordinated better, but if you didn't win then you didn't win. I think you should definitely let HO know how that didn't work and they should not have been making those kind of calls during this particular promo time. Normally, of course, you wouldn't have even checked your phone, let alone answer it during a show. But during this promo, you were "expecting" or hoping for a call from HO.

The thing is - for the Promo, they were calling the hosts not the consultant. So calling a consultant for something else wouldn't have raised any red flags with HO. I am in the Eastern Time Zone, and several times have gotten evening phone calls for questions about shows, etc....

My Show Did Win!!! 15 min into the Show HO called and I didn't believe the Host that it was the HO!! When I finally thought "she is NOT pulling my leg" we all started screaming!! It was exciting!
Bonnie::thumbup:
Saginaw, MI

bonl48 said:
My Show Did Win!!! 15 min into the Show HO called and I didn't believe the Host that it was the HO!! When I finally thought "she is NOT pulling my leg" we all started screaming!! It was exciting!
Saginaw, MI

CONGRATS!!!!!:balloon:

Thanks for your replies- it was nice receiving a call for my sales, definitely! But, it was certainly a shame to have my Host so bummed out- I'll call tomorrow and let you all know what HO says- you would think they would have had more sense than to make any calls not necessary during a promo week!

Congrats to your winning show!!!

So what was the call about for your sales?
How much did you do???

Sorry about not winning, but you know, that's exciting in itself...how many guests were there? Maybe you could offer them something if it was a smaller crowd.

Happy Dancin' for you Bonnie!;)

Thank-you!!

chefsteph07 said:
So what was the call about for your sales?
How much did you do???

Sorry about not winning, but you know, that's exciting in itself...how many guests were there? Maybe you could offer them something if it was a smaller crowd.

I'm guessing they called since I reached level III in the SAT?- I've had a great start to my business (thanks a lot to CS:)) and am #2 under New Consultant Recognition for total sales in 90 days. I'm really close to $15,000 already- hope to get there next month (started 3-31-08). I guess that's why, not really sure though!

The show was small, 7 in attendance, but really good sales- already at $804 w/more orders coming in, plus a booking.

I'll call tomorrow- I don't care for me, I actually don't like stainless steel, but my Host was truly disappointed- the Host and Guests don't read the fine print/listen about whether the call is coming to the Host or the Consultant- they hear only that if HO calls, you win, kwim?

Thanks again for all of your replies, everyone!

Wow, that's truly awesome...
What seems to be your secret for your sales, if you don't mind sharing?

chefsteph07 said:
Wow, that's truly awesome...
What seems to be your secret for your sales, if you don't mind sharing?

Thanks for the kind words! As far as my 'secret', I'm not quite sure what to tell you- I keep it light, I don't stand and lecture, I do a mildly interactive demo- not everyone has to participate. I use aprons that say Guest Chef on them to those that help- make a joke of it. I try really hard not to push anything, especially bookings- I personally do not play any of the bookings games, etc- I hate feeling pressured at other DS parties, so I keep it really light.

I always use the DCB (sold four tonight), talk up the cookware (used the grill pan as well tonight), stoneware in general.

I don't know what else to say- I started PC as a way to fill my time after my Mom died from cancer- I threw myself into this business and offered all of my commission to Relay for Life- got three shows that way and a firm customer base. I've done two other fundraisers since (one last month from an email that turned into an $1800 show)- and several regular cooking shows. I try to think outside of the box- the sales are out there, we just need to look for them, sometimes. I feel blessed to be doing so well and just pray that it continues.

Thanks again.

During my host coaching I have told my hosts if possible to make sure children are not on the phone/computer especially if they do not have call waiting the evening of their show.I agree its awesome to be recognized with a personal call but I don't think they should send anything extra. Maybe you could give the guests a spice or a SB with a handwritten note.

cookingwithkelly said:
I use aprons that say Guest Chef on them to those that help- make a joke of it.

Where did you find those and how much were they? I LOVE that idea!

Oh my ... that is really unbelievable!

I can see instances where the consultant might put her cel phone number, because she might not have her host's cel number handy when she registers the show.

I've donated commission to a Relay for Life team and gotten some customers that way too, includng my best show ever.

cookingwithkelly said:
I'm guessing they called since I reached level III in the SAT?- I've had a great start to my business (thanks a lot to CS:)) and am #2 under New Consultant Recognition for total sales in 90 days. I'm really close to $15,000 already- hope to get there next month (started 3-31-08). I guess that's why, not really sure though!

The show was small, 7 in attendance, but really good sales- already at $804 w/more orders coming in, plus a booking.

I'll call tomorrow- I don't care for me, I actually don't like stainless steel, but my Host was truly disappointed- the Host and Guests don't read the fine print/listen about whether the call is coming to the Host or the Consultant- they hear only that if HO calls, you win, kwim?

Thanks again for all of your replies, everyone!

That is a wonderful start and your whole story is very encouraging. When your heart is in the right place things just line up. The best thing is that your recruits will follow your example! I got a call from the HO when I was new too! I didn't even know I was doing well, I earned my 2% increase in my 4th month. You pick up that momentum and it's awesome. I haven't been able to duplicate that, but just remembering the experience keeps me motivated because I know it can be done. Congratulations on your great start, keep up the good work!

I hope HO does something to compensate. That really stinks. I would ask to speak to a supervisor when you call --- keep us posted. and WAY TO GO on those sales!

Why would you have your phone on and check to see who was calling during a show? Just curious about that. Especially since you knew HO was calling the host? Not knocking, just asking.

Seriously - I'm not trying to be the wet towel here...but the consultant was the one who received a call from HO at this show - NOT the host.
For this promo, it was the HOST who was to receive the call from HO....so there really wasn't any reason, when the consultant's phone rang, for all of the excitement.....

Everyone seems to be blaming HO and thinking they should be doing something special for this - but they did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary. Calls are made all the time to consultants during evening hours.

I know it was disappointing for everyone there - but it wasn't because of anything wrong done by HO.

And personally, i don't think HO should compensate. The host didn't win and HO never said they would. Don't understand why they should give them something or why you should. JMO

Seriously - I'm not trying to be the wet towel here...but the consultant was the one who received a call from HO at this show - NOT the host.

HOWEVER ... what if the consultant used HER phone number as the one to register?

I almost did this for my show that was to be tonight (before the host canceled.) I had the host's number but did not know it was a cel ... and she wanted to have the party at her mother's house. How was I supposed to know the number over there?

HO does not have my cel phone number (I got it after I signed, anyway) so if I were in this situation, what else would it be?

Di_Can_Cook said:
HOWEVER ... what if the consultant used HER phone number as the one to register?

I almost did this for my show that was to be tonight (before the host canceled.) I had the host's number but did not know it was a cel ... and she wanted to have the party at her mother's house. How was I supposed to know the number over there?

HO does not have my cel phone number (I got it after I signed, anyway) so if I were in this situation, what else would it be?

Then that was a chance she would be taking that the phone call could be about something else.

I always keep mine on honestly. On vibrate anyway. My kids are with a sitter sometimes during my shows and you never know when an emergency will come up.

Other than the cell phone thing, I think the bigger question is: why should HO compensate the host/guests/consultant for this?

She mentioned the hosts & guests don't read the fine print.
the only way to register the host was for the consultant to do it. Part of host coaching would to ask for an available # for that evening to put on the form..I really hope this experience is explained to the guests that were in attendance and they understand it was to be a call to the host. If they start bad mouthing HO over what they feel is a rip off or being cheated it really could harm your business later.I would explain it in a letter to them and also emphasize the call was a congratulatory one over your achievements.

On another note....the more 'free' stuff that HO has to give away as 'compensation', the higher the prices will go for customers actually purchasing items!

I didn't read through all of the replies, but maybe offer everyone a free spice anyway?

ChefBeckyD said:
For this promo, it was the HOST who was to receive the call from HO....so there really wasn't any reason, when the consultant's phone rang, for all of the excitement.....

Everyone seems to be blaming HO and thinking they should be doing something special for this - but they did nothing wrong or out of the ordinary. Calls are made all the time to consultants during evening hours.

I know it was disappointing for everyone there - but it wasn't because of anything wrong done by HO.

The contest rules don't state the Host must receive the call- it's based on the # registered- I never said I didn't register my #.

I'm not bashing HO- I just think it's an unfortunate series of events and again, I don't even like the Stainless Steel (I have the Executive Sets), I'm more concerned about my Host and Guests disappointment.

GourmetGirl said:
Where did you find those and how much were they? I LOVE that idea!

Thanks- I had them embroidered through a promotional company my friend owns- I have green ones.

Addie4TLC said:
That is a wonderful start and your whole story is very encouraging. When your heart is in the right place things just line up. The best thing is that your recruits will follow your example! I got a call from the HO when I was new too! I didn't even know I was doing well, I earned my 2% increase in my 4th month. You pick up that momentum and it's awesome. I haven't been able to duplicate that, but just remembering the experience keeps me motivated because I know it can be done. Congratulations on your great start, keep up the good work!

Thanks for your encouragement and kind words- I really am loving this job and pray that my success continues!!

vwpamperedchef said:
I hope HO does something to compensate. That really stinks. I would ask to speak to a supervisor when you call --- keep us posted. and WAY TO GO on those sales!

Thanks!! I'll keep you posted.

ljeffries said:
Why would you have your phone on and check to see who was calling during a show? Just curious about that. Especially since you knew HO was calling the host? Not knocking, just asking.

I have three kids (6, 4, and 8 months)- I think you'll find every Mom on her w/ a cell phone will have hers nearby!

One of my daughter's has life threatening food allergies for which she's been hospitalized twice w/ anaphylaxis- so I have to check each and every call- always, no matter what I'm doing.

Teresa Lynn said:
She mentioned the hosts & guests don't read the fine print.
the only way to register the host was for the consultant to do it. Part of host coaching would to ask for an available # for that evening to put on the form..

I really hope this experience is explained to the guests that were in attendance and they understand it was to be a call to the host. If they start bad mouthing HO over what they feel is a rip off or being cheated it really could harm your business later.

I would explain it in a letter to them and also emphasize the call was a congratulatory one over your achievements.

I think you're reading into this too much- no one's bad mouthing HO- the group I had last night are Mom's from my daughter's Christian school- we even prayed before we all began-they are not the type to bad mouth, nor am I. I was merely explaining what happened and expressing the disappointment for the situation- I have no intentions of bashing HO, nor does anyone who was in attendance.

bonl48 said:
Saginaw, MI

woohoo for you and your host!

ChefBeckyD said:

I agree with Becky.

ChefBeckyD said:

Well said Becky; I agree with you.

Congratulations on a wonderful start to your business! Once you get past this confusion, keep that momentum going:)

Related to How Should I Handle Miscommunication During a Promotional Event?

1. What is the promotion/contest going on all week?

The promotion/contest is a sales incentive program that rewards consultants for achieving certain sales goals during a specific time period.

2. Why did the consultant receive a call from a 1-888 number during the show?

The consultant received a call from a 1-888 number because it was a call from the Pampered Chef headquarters to congratulate them on their sales.

3. What happened when the consultant answered the call?

The consultant was disappointed to find out that the call was not about the promotion/contest, but rather a congratulations on their sales. This caused the host and guests to also be disappointed as they thought they had won the promotion/contest.

4. What should the consultant do in this situation?

The consultant should explain to the host and guests that the call was not about the promotion/contest and apologize for any confusion. They can also reassure them that they will still receive their prizes for participating in the promotion/contest. It is also important for the consultant to stay positive and focus on the success of the show and the commissionable sales that have been achieved.

5. What is the current status of the show's sales?

The show currently has $804 in commissionable sales, with more orders still coming in. This is a great success and should be celebrated, despite the disappointment of the call from the Pampered Chef headquarters.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• krahema
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
krahema
  • MLinAZ
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Grandmarita
  • SherryLynn