• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Show Last Night....frustrated!!

I let them know at the beginning of the show that we will be cooking together, and then I just have people do different things.
PChefPEI
Silver Member
Okay, so I had a show last night and sales are around $500. Everyone had a great time, so it seems. But, I feel like I put on a really crappy performance! I don’t know what to do. I need to revamp my show. I started doing interactive shows, and that part is going well…when they decide to get involved! :rolleyes: My big problem seems to be the before and after. I used to do my shows "à la Julie Weitz", and they were fun. Then, I started doing interactive shows. I’m just not sure how to incorporate it with the interactive part. Will have to do some thinkin'!

But last night, no one would shut up and listen after we made the recipe. It was all I could do to get them to go have a seat so I could do my thing. I know it’s all about them and it’s their party, but I really felt like I didn’t have control. I’m not the type to shout above the crowd either to get their attention. I was frustrated with myself. Also, during the show, it was like I’d forgotten everything I knew about every product! Grrrr….:grumpy:

Thanks for letting me vent…….

Don't worry we all have our off days. I have stopped doing the interactive shows as of right now. I just cannot get into them!

I've only done about 6 shows, and at all of them I've had to pull teeth to get the people involved. I always ask "Jen, would you like to chop the nuts?" And the response is always, "No, you go ahead." They're just happy to sit back and let me put it all together! So, I guess it just depends on your crowd. But, at one of my last shows, everyone was talking and catching up. It is kind of annoying, and I'm exactly the same way. I'm not very good at telling people to pay attention. I think if I did, it would come out like a roar!

Jennifer31 said:
I've only done about 6 shows, and at all of them I've had to pull teeth to get the people involved. I always ask "Jen, would you like to chop the nuts?" And the response is always, "No, you go ahead." They're just happy to sit back and let me put it all together! So, I guess it just depends on your crowd. But, at one of my last shows, everyone was talking and catching up. It is kind of annoying, and I'm exactly the same way. I'm not very good at telling people to pay attention. I think if I did, it would come out like a roar!

I don't ask....I let them know at the beginning of the show that we will be cooking together, and then I just have people do different things. I usually have the host start, to get things rolling, and then I just ask questions like "Who here has the chopper?" I let them talk about how they love their chopper, and what they love to use it for, and then I call on someone who doesn't have the chopper to use it. I'll say "Mary, you've never used this, so come do some chopping with me! Especially if you've had some stress in your day today - you are going to love doing this!" Then, Mary's friends are all egging her on to do it too.

PChefPEI said:
But last night, no one would shut up and listen after we made the recipe. It was all I could do to get them to go have a seat so I could do my thing. I know it’s all about them and it’s their party, but I really felt like I didn’t have control. I’m not the type to shout above the crowd either to get their attention. I was frustrated with myself. Also, during the show, it was like I’d forgotten everything I knew about every product! Grrrr….:grumpy:

Thanks for letting me vent…….

Sounds like mission accomplished..they had fun.

One way you can get their attention. I tell the host before anyone arrives, "tonight you job is to get the crowd back focused if it starts to get too chatty ~ after the intereactive part, I'll only need about 10 minutes. So if you get them settled down...that would be great!"

This has been working well...let the host get them over to a special room/area and give me 10 minutes.

REMEMBER the FOCUS is on THEM, not you. Don't beat yourself up just because you didn't get to say something...I don't say EVERYTHING at every show.

Last edited:
When and if I do the interactive shows, I don't ask either. I say Sarah is going to help us by doing such and such and go down the line. I am not comfortable doing these shows any way and I didn't go to dental school to pull teeth.

You know, I've had the same experience my last couple of shows. Here's what I think:

1) it's summer time, people are more relaxed and want to socialize.
2) the economy is a little tougher right now, and being with friends with no pressure on makes them want to relax and socialize
3) It's a party, not a lecture (I had to decide this for myself), they want to --you guessed it--relax and socialize.

I had a party last night, I was bummed before I got there with only 2 people coming (1 extra showed up at the last minute). She was a young hostess, lived upstairs 2 flights (it was 95 outside), and was so excited to have her mother in law, father in law, and 2 friends with brand new babies (she also has a brand new baby) over--I couldn't say no and disappoint her. So I went and did the show, had the people just stand at my table, didn't do an intro, didn't do a closing--just chopped and prepared and ate--they played with the tools a little bit, talked a LOT, and the show is closing at $400. Go figure, with 3 people.

I think that this summer I am going to lay back and not stress so much about my business--and let them socialize.

I agree with assigning people jobs. My last show was with CHATTY women but they each had a job, listened when I gave the assignment so that was ok. Of course it wasn't like a 'normal interactive' where everyone listens at each step, etc. it was more of giving the assignments, they do them at the same time, then as they assembled it with their food, then we talked about the products. It was okay but still got chatty.

jbdowd0798 said:
I agree with assigning people jobs. My last show was with CHATTY women but they each had a job, listened when I gave the assignment so that was ok. Of course it wasn't like a 'normal interactive' where everyone listens at each step, etc. it was more of giving the assignments, they do them at the same time, then as they assembled it with their food, then we talked about the products. It was okay but still got chatty.

I like the idea of assigning tasks, but what if there aren't enough to go around? Of course, I guess there are always the few party poopers who don't want to participate. Will have to experiment I guess.

Thanks for the advice, you guys! I think I need to think more about them having fun and less about trying to be so strick about the show format and what's said when. Got a couple weeks to digest it....no shows on the books 'til July 2!! :(

i feel you girl, every show i have done, there has been more talking on their part than mine, and then at the end i feel like i didn't have a chance to say anything about any of the products. and then i feel like i was a crappy consultant and look like i don't know how to do my job. maybe one of these days i will get to do what i'm suppose to as a consultant.

ChefDella said:
i feel you girl, every show i have done, there has been more talking on their part than mine, and then at the end i feel like i didn't have a chance to say anything about any of the products. and then i feel like i was a crappy consultant and look like i don't know how to do my job. maybe one of these days i will get to do what i'm suppose to as a consultant.

I guess it's just PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE! It's funny, because some shows where everyone is chatty annoy the hell out of me, but others I don't mind at all. Not sure if it's the mood I'm in that day, or if it's the tone/level of chatter. I guess I just have to take it one show at a time, do my best and hope that everyone has fun.

You know, I think people really don't notice that we're crappy consultants. I think it's all about us and we're too hard on ourselves. If they have fun, I guess that's the bottom line! And if sales are great too, then that's even better! :)

Here's to making our shows fun and doing the best we can! CHEERS! :D

first time posting.. I have been reading what I could for months and decided the 5 bucks is worth it!
I too have had some trouble at shows where it seems like people are gabbing away with each other and do not want to listen to me. Hopefully, I will read more on what all of you do and get better!:chef:

First off, ladies (and any gents who are reading this thread, too), you're not crappy consultants. Crappy consultants wouldn't care if their shows weren't good. You do - and that's the first sign of a good consultant. Secondly, USE that as a recruiting thing! Prospective consultants get turned off when the show is too perfect and the consultant knows everything. But a consultant who is relatable and human (like telling guests, "I don't know that right now, but I'll find out and get back to you") sends a message that anyone can do this.Third - I don't like when crowds are not paying any attention at all, either. But as mentioned above, some chatting shows that they're having a good time. Nobody's going to book a show with the "PC Nazi" who insists that everyone sit in silence with their hands folded in their laps.

chefann said:
First off, ladies (and any gents who are reading this thread, too), you're not crappy consultants. Crappy consultants wouldn't care if their shows weren't good. You do - and that's the first sign of a good consultant.

Secondly, USE that as a recruiting thing! Prospective consultants get turned off when the show is too perfect and the consultant knows everything. But a consultant who is relatable and human (like telling guests, "I don't know that right now, but I'll find out and get back to you") sends a message that anyone can do this.

Third - I don't like when crowds are not paying any attention at all, either. But as mentioned above, some chatting shows that they're having a good time. Nobody's going to book a show with the "PC Nazi" who insists that everyone sit in silence with their hands folded in their laps.
Well said! And that's all I'm gonna say about that. (Forest Gump)

I have been doing the interactive shows for about a month now. The "before" goes well and the interactive part has been great.....but the "after" has been a disaster at most of them. BUT my sales are up and I am having my best month ever......so what can I complain about. It just means I need to have more one on one with them at full service checkout and really chat up the hosting and oppurtunity part.

Every group I have had has been different. But one constant is that they want to enjoy a fun, stress-free time with their host so I try my best to keep the focus on having fun and making it stress-free and then it seems like everything falls into place whether I planned it that way or not.

Say the serenity prayer: God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

Thanks for the pep talk, you guys! I feel so much better now! :D You guys ROCK!!

YOU rock too!

I love the interactive shows - my sales have been much higher, and the guests comment that they were so glad they got to try things.

When I book the show I tell the host that she and her friends will be making the recipe, so she knows this right off the bat. If there's only a handful of guests, I have them all stand at the table right from the beginning. Once they sit down they have a "nesting" problem - they keep going back to the chair....

If there's many guests I let them sit down.

I give a super brief intro, thanking the host for inviting us to her home & giving her a gift, telling them who I am, and telling them what they will be making. If there's a part in the recipe where something needs to bake or cool or whatever, I tell the guests we'll do introductions at that time. Then I give the host the recipe and tell her she will be the "director." (Unless the host seems to be a "busy body" and will be too distracted to read the recipe, then I pick someone else.)

I first describe the measuring tools. I have them all in the middle of the table/counter along with the Tool Turn-a-bout filled with scrapers, garlic press, etc. Then I say that when they are supposed to measure something they can choose which tool they want to use.

I have the host read the first step, then describe how a tool works in that step, then have someone use it who does not have experience with it. Sometimes I show them first. If it's a step that takes awhile, I may have another guest come up to do the 2nd half. And so on with the other steps.
I talk pretty fast so basically keep them interested. While someone is using a product I go on to the next.

If something does need to be baked or cooled or whatever we do quick introductions and I show some items I've brought that we aren't using that night. Like items the host specifically wanted to see, current and upcoming host specials, &/or seasonal items like the Collapsible Serving Bowl or Grill Basket. I pass them around.

When we are done with the recipe, we pass out the catalogs and order forms and a piece of paper to do a game on to see who wins the door prize. I briefly (emphasis on BRIEFLY cuz they are starting to do the chat thing) explain the catalog (index in front, cookware, host benefits in back) and order form (tell them to put their personal info in, the hostess name, the date for the guarantee on back, how and who they can pay, & unless they cross off the heart I'll round up to feed the hungry in our area).

In the middle of the door prize drawing I tell them that in just a few minutes, after I clean up a little, I will be in the living room, or wherever, to take their orders, and that I will help them total them up. We finish the door prize drawing. I clean up the table/counter we've been working on. We put out the food. I let whoever is listening (they are quite chatty at this point, looking at their catalogs and talking about their kids) know that I'm ready to take orders.

So I've basically done a "Speed" show so the guests have more time to talk. You can only hold their attention for so long!

Last edited:
I recently had a pretty big show. I did half demo, and half interactive. I did a trifle first (myself), talking about lots of products, then had a taco bar lined up, where the guests used some products for each step of their tacos. (the cheese grater, the salad chopper for the lettuce, the food chopper for the onion, cutlery for the tomato, k-shears for cilantro, SA for sour cream and salsa, tongs for the chicken that was pre-prepped using the deep cranberry baker...you get it) It worked great! They made and ate their tacos, which gave them time to chat, then I gave my closing and bookings binder, served the trifle, (which they were waiting for!) and was done! That honestly was the first time I did 2 recipes, and it went a lot smoother than I thought!

For interactive shows I have found that explaining to guests right up front that they will have jobs to do works best. Have them wash their hands on the way in when they're getting their name tag, just call on them for specific tasks! "Sharon, you go ahead and chop up these nuts for us with the chopper . . . " I rarely have anyone jump up and do anything when just randomly asking, "Would anyone like to try this?"

What happened at the show last night?

I'm sorry to hear that you were frustrated with the show last night. Can you tell me specifically what happened so I can address your concerns?

Why didn't the host mention all the products available?

Our hosts are trained to showcase a certain selection of products during the show, but if there were specific products you were interested in that weren't mentioned, I would be happy to provide more information about them.

Can I exchange the product I bought at the show?

Yes, our products come with a satisfaction guarantee and can be exchanged for a different product or a refund. Please reach out to the consultant who hosted the show or contact our customer service for assistance.

How can I host my own Pampered Chef show?

Hosting a Pampered Chef show is easy and fun! You can either reach out to a consultant directly or visit our website to find a consultant near you. They will guide you through the process and help you earn free and discounted products!

Are there any upcoming shows in my area?

You can find a list of upcoming shows on our website or by contacting a consultant in your area. We are always adding new shows, so be sure to check back frequently for updates.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • MrsNetNut404
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
scottcooks
  • littlemaisyPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies