• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Regain Momentum in My Direct Sales Business?

In summary, Carolyn has been struggling this year and is looking for advice. She is relying on her friends to support her.
dannyzmom
Gold Member
I don't usually like to post negativity. Not that I am LIKING posting this, but, well, you kwim...so I am sorry if this post is gonna come off negative - I REALLY need to vent and could really use some encouragement and advice...
Remember a few weeks back when I had a phone-fest and called ALL those customers to get bookings...well one was SO Excited to hear from me "I was just looking at your biz card and meaning to call you - I want t pbook a show but we're having a lightning storm right now can I call you back in a few hours?" She never called back. I called her several times over the next few days/weeks...even sent hre a Nancy's postcard...NOTHING.
The one gla who so enthusiatically booked a show just called me to say her DH suddenly announced they're going out of town that week so she needs to reschedule. But she doesn't want to pick a new date til the 1st week of August when she has a better idea of what her calender will look like. I am now down to 2 definite shows in July (i already got the guest lists), the big FR in July, one more show - this host is SO enthusiastic and said she'll have the guest list o tme this week, and one more show that is a HO lead -- which means it could go either way. I have 3 on the books for August, 3 for September and two for October. I NEED to get more on my calender for July.
What an awful season this has been for me. Looking at my past years in the biz I see this summer has not been any worse than any others...but the thing is that I had pickedup such great momentum...I was booking lots of show and really was on a roll...them Nay hit and I hit a wall.
I want my momentum back :(
I am $10,000 below (in year to date sales) than I was this time last year. Granted, I have done WAY more recruiting this year and that is where a business grows...but I want my sales UP again!!!
WAhhhhhhhhhhhh

There, there....{{{{{{{{{{{{{{BIG HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}
Advice...there is lots out there...but I think you need support more than advice!!
I have been lacking in motivation lately. I have a good July, but I have made no attempt to get on the phone for August and I have ONE party so far.
Your disappointment and frustration are feelings we can all relate to. So glad to hear that you have been recruiting!! As difficult as it is, concentrate on this positive. Give yourself time to brush yourself off and then look forward. Practice the word "NEXT" until you finally believe it!!!
I don't have a secret to booking a strong July. I just promoted the poop out of the Salad Spinner and really bragged up the fact that in July it will only cost the host $20. (Maybe since I told people that it is secretly a carnival ride for their gerbil...THAT is why they booked!!)
Even though we know this business is cyclical...it is no comfort when feeling as you do. You know you have lots of shoulders to cry on and we are all here for you! Hang in there! I know things will pick up soon for you! Last month I learned that I missed TPC by $1700...if all of my parties would have closed, it would have been a narrower gap of less than $500!!! I will be cheering all of you on the earned TPC and missing my first diamond but I am already planning for next year and want to hit one of the TPC catagories by April 30th...so I don't have to sweat May and host my own pity party in June of 2008!!
Take care, Carolyn...I will be making some special PC wishes for you!

Ann...
Thank you.
You gave me just what I needed...a shoulder.
You are SO right - this biz is cyclical. At my very 1st director's meeting years ago, that was the lesson of the day. I sat there thinking "wow - I have bene in the UP period a long time, I won;der when I'll crash." I talked about it with DH and I stayed in the UP for a loooooooooooooooooooong time. I guess this is my down time. I WILL come back up. I just got so spoiled by being "up" for such a long time, kwim?
Thanks for being there :)
(((((((((Ann)))))))

These are the times when the strong survive. The only way to really benefit from this biz is to ride it out...like the stock market....

or this....(turn the volume up and please keep all hands and feet inside the car until the ride comes to a complete stop):

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/ride/video/?video_id=16

jwpamp said:
These are the times when the strong survive. The only way to really benefit from this biz is to ride it out...like the stock market....

or this....(turn the volume up and please keep all hands and feet inside the car until the ride comes to a complete stop):

http://maverick.cedarpoint.com/ride/video/?video_id=16

Thanks for the boost - but this vertigo-ridden chick can't watch that kinda stuff w/o going into headspins - LOL

WOW, Janice...I loved that roller coaster ride...I could end it much earlier that if I were on it for real. I mean I REALLY felt that it should come with a virtual sick bag!!!:eek: LOL!!! I am a wussie and had to click off it!!! That was awesome, though!!

And so much like our business! Carolyn, I often think of the movie "Door to Door" and that will snap me out of my blues a little faster!! Have faith in yourself and think of all you have accomplished!!! I just read on your signature that you are earning yet another diamond!!! I will be in Wave 2...I am usually late so I will most likely be in the balcony cheering you on!!

I have been feeling some of your same frustration with recruiting. Trying to help my team recruit and wondering who should be helping who!!!

Keep smiling!

Carolyn, I feel for you. I know you can pull out of this though. You're such an inspiration to us all and I know you can do it!:)

I have been upset with June myself. Last June was my best month EVER and I was expecting the same thing this year, actually I was wanting ever BIGGER.

I have prayed and decided to give it to God. I know that He knows what is best for me and my business at this time and He will provide as He sees that I need. It took me a several prayers to get to that point, but since I have gotten there I feel much better. I work my business as usual and leave it all to Him.

carolyn
chin up :)
i know it doesnt help but everything happens for a reason, maybe this one host would have had a $200 show in july but it will be $1000 in aug with bookings and recruits :)
i read a thread on here earlier about doing one in a grocery store might add a booking for you
also im planning on going to the golf courses in my area (im sure u have alot more lol) and seeing if they will do a vendors night when and if they have a ladies night
i have these wonderful ideas and really need to start following my own suggestions sometime soon!!!

i always think that im not out of business until i have no bookings and you still have some on the books :) you still have that trickle!!

chin up, good luck
and vent anytime :)

Hi, Carolyn.. You are always there for me to lend me advice, and I wish I had the same wonderul words to offer you that you offer me.

First, you still have plenty of time to have a great July! I know you want more on the books so it might be a good time to do some CC calls... just to check up on people. Whenever you do something nice it always comes back to you! I am sure this is VERY temporary for you!

And, as far as that lady goes who didn't call you back... Just sit tight. Follow up in a little bit. She could have some personal situation going on.

(((((((Carolyn))))))))

You have so many positive things happening right now! I'm jealous!! But I know how frustrating it is when things just aren't where you want them and you're doing everything "right."

Remember that you're building up and strong -- a team, customer connections, your business, yourself -- with every positive step you take. I am a firm beleliver that all the things you do today will come back in abundance to you in the future.

And here's another ~hug~ for good measure... (( :) :( ))

BIG ((((HUGS)))) Carolyn...... Though I am not as seasoned Consultant like you....Your July will happen, Just make some calls to past host, and customers they always like hearing from us, if your doing any fairs this summer that might help a great deal to get bookings!! Like Anne said that host could just have some personal situation going on.

((((HUGS))))There's nothing wrong with getting a bit discouraged when things don't go as we'd hoped. I'll give you another 24 hours. After that, I want you to pull up your big girl panties and get back to work! You know what I'm talking about. Make those calls. Send those emails. And, don't forget to use the momentum you get from NC! Just be sure to share with us when your summer takes off.

Hang in there Carolyn! Summer's are tough, and this one seems especially so. I've been on a roll this year, but my June is going to be one of my lowest months (go figure, on a sella thon). We just have to tough it out, and get on that darn phone:eek: You definately still have time to have a great July, and I'm sure that fundraiser will be awesome, and bring you biz for the following months. You CAN do it:)

It'll be OK, Carolyn.

You usually have such a great attitude - don't let a little setback get you down. Sometimes these down times are just the calm before your business explodes.

You go right ahead and vent, honey.

Hang in there, Carolyn!! I'm sure with your perseverance, you'll end up getting some things to go in the right direction for you! And it's ok for seasoned consultants to get down about their businesses too.:eek: Hang in there! I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that things turn around!

Let's turn this into a very positive post.

Carolyn, how many new recruits have you signed this year? What have you changed to add that many people to your team?

Thanks!
Lisa

Carolyn - summer months are always hard, but keep working your business and it will pay off a few months from now.

I have gotten 2 "out of the blue" calls in the last week from people wanting to place orders...one $25, one $77. All as a result of people I met in April at shows talking PC to others and recommending me. Keep working now and it will pick up for you. You've done well, you're a TPC achiever, you may not be on track with last year, but your fall may make up for it.

{{{{HUGS}}}} I'd be glad to give you a real one at Conference. Hopefully in 2 weeks that will give you the BIG BOOST you need, but until then, work and plan and keep chuggin'.

Yep, this business (like most) is a roller coaster ride.

Hang in there Carolyn and you (and I :eek: ) will get back to the top of that hill.

It's the people who give up that don't get to enjoy all the great things about owning their own business.

I feel like I'm readng about myself. I had 2 cancellations in June, and no parties booked for the future. I just finished a very busy school year and was a little burned out, so I guess I was a little relieved. I started PC in September and have done pretty good, but I have an awful time getting bookings. I offer free products if a person books a show, and still I have problems. I have read the threads, andit sounds like I am presenting myself just fine, but are there any great tips anyone can give me to get more bookings? I just wrote up a flyer that shows how much some of my customers have saved by having a party and being a host. Hoping that will help encourage people. I need a quick boost to get me on the phone and get the bookings. Help!!:confused:

Tractorgal, would it help to do a visual like using play money to show how much a host can get in dollar value by hosting a party and then what she paid to get it all.(click on files...someone posted some great REAL looking dollars that you can print off). Or doing a product pile on, showing what the previous host earned and how little she paid for it.
People (I am included) are basically lazy and won't read. A brochure is too easily tossed aside whereas the visual is smack dab in front of them!

HUGS Carolyn!
http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/love0028.gif
Hang in there and things will get better. My June & July aren't what I hoped for either (partly my own fault). I'm strategizing right now to have a WOW Month, I'm trying to decide if I should do my WOW in August or in September when the new catalog is out. Do you want to work on this together?

pamperedlinda said:
HUGS Carolyn!
http://www.thesmilies.com/smilies/love0028.gif
Hang in there and things will get better. My June & July aren't what I hoped for either (partly my own fault). I'm strategizing right now to have a WOW Month, I'm trying to decide if I should do my WOW in August or in September when the new catalog is out. Do you want to work on this together?

Linda,
I would LOVE to do this together with you.
I had a show last night - great hostess - was on the fence about signing but after last night decided now is just not a good time (no support from DH - he feels it's just one mroe thing that will keep her away from him)
She had $200 in outside orders...very low turnout and low sales (several senior citizens - fixed budget in attendance) at the show. It sits at $499 right now but she is determined to get it to $1000 with OO's (God bless her!) No bookings, either.
I am thinking the same thing about working on a WOW month - but like you, und=sure to go for Aug or Sept...i think once we get back from NC and have our new products and ideas we will be better equiped to go for it...

dannyzmom said:
Linda,
I would LOVE to do this together with you.
I had a show last night - great hostess - was on the fence about signing but after last night decided now is just not a good time (no support from DH - he feels it's just one mroe thing that will keep her away from him)
She had $200 in outside orders...very low turnout and low sales (several senior citizens - fixed budget in attendance) at the show. It sits at $499 right now but she is determined to get it to $1000 with OO's (God bless her!) No bookings, either.
I am thinking the same thing about working on a WOW month - but like you, und=sure to go for Aug or Sept...i think once we get back from NC and have our new products and ideas we will be better equiped to go for it...
I'm leaning towards Sept. That will give me more time to plan and since there will be a new catalog it might be easier to book a lot of shows too (especially since I only have 2 on my calendar for July). But then, the August specials are really good with the knives and that is a great booking incentive!..... Not sure about FL, but school starts here on Aug 6th and my son is entering Kindergarten this year, I don't think that should conflict with scheduling though. Decisions....decisions....decisions..... what are your thoughts? Anyone else, please feel free to chime in here too!

pamperedlinda said:
I'm leaning towards Sept. That will give me more time to plan and since there will be a new catalog it might be easier to book a lot of shows too (especially since I only have 2 on my calendar for July). But then, the August specials are really good with the knives and that is a great booking incentive!..... Not sure about FL, but school starts here on Aug 6th and my son is entering Kindergarten this year, I don't think that should conflict with scheduling though. Decisions....decisions....decisions..... what are your thoughts? Anyone else, please feel free to chime in here too!

Here in FL school starts on Aug 20th. I worry about August because before school peopel are busy hitting their last minute vacations and scrambling to buy school supplies...so I am thinking Sept will be a stronger month. august may be a good month for me to host my own show i nmy home? I am thinking people will want to get out of the house yet may not want to host a show of their own, kwim?

dannyzmom said:
Here in FL school starts on Aug 20th. I worry about August because before school peopel are busy hitting their last minute vacations and scrambling to buy school supplies...so I am thinking Sept will be a stronger month. august may be a good month for me to host my own show i nmy home? I am thinking people will want to get out of the house yet may not want to host a show of their own, kwim?
That's kind of my thoughts on August, but I didn't want to sound/feel like I was procrastinating! I think Sept will be better.

Okay, so.....what do we do for a WOW Month? How do we plan? Just book shows? LOTS and LOTS of them? Where do we start? I really want to be a Director too so I need recruits as well.

pamperedlinda said:
That's kind of my thoughts on August, but I didn't want to sound/feel like I was procrastinating! I think Sept will be better.

Okay, so.....what do we do for a WOW Month? How do we plan? Just book shows? LOTS and LOTS of them? Where do we start? I really want to be a Director too so I need recruits as well.

Offer bookings incentives - make booknig blitz phone calls, host a show of our own inviting all past guests, hosts etc...

I thought about having a show for past hosts. I think it would be fun and maybe that would get the fire going for me. I have to have at least one $200 between July/August or I will be an inactive consultant by Sept. 1st and I don't want that, so a show of my own just might just be the answer. :)

1. What is the purpose of the "Warning: Venting Negative Post"?

The purpose of the "Warning: Venting Negative Post" is to inform readers that the following post may contain negative or critical opinions about a particular topic. This warning allows readers to decide whether they want to continue reading or not.

2. Can I still post negative opinions without using the warning?

Yes, you can still express negative opinions without using the warning. However, it is considered respectful and courteous to use the warning to give readers a heads up.

3. What happens if I don't use the warning and someone gets offended?

If you choose not to use the warning and someone gets offended by your negative post, you may receive backlash or negative reactions from readers. It is always best to be considerate and use the warning to avoid any potential conflicts.

4. Is the "Warning: Venting Negative Post" required by Pampered Chef?

No, the "Warning: Venting Negative Post" is not required by Pampered Chef. It is simply a suggestion to promote a positive and respectful community within the company.

5. Are there any consequences for not using the warning?

There are no official consequences for not using the warning. However, as mentioned before, it is considered respectful and courteous to use the warning and not doing so may result in negative reactions from readers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pattikake45
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Tara-Ann
Replies
Views
lesliec
  • ValM2010
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies