• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do I Handle Host Coaching and Ingredient Purchases for a Successful Party?

In summary, the consultant should tell the hosts they will be their personal shoppers and give them $15 in free product value to reimburse them for their "expenses". The consultant should also tell the hosts that some products they will be getting will never be used, but they will still get the $15 in free product value.
ChefBurke
Silver Member
I sorta jumped into becoming a consultant & never really did host coaching,it seems like bugging them..how do i go about doing this to insure the host its for them to have a success!? Also my director says she'll purchse the food items for the recipe & present a reciept for reimbursement..i am having issues with this,one girl requested a recipe that called for some pricey fresh items & came to $16 & she was like wow too much! i had to pull teeth to get it & shes with MK!!!! how do i handle this issue with buying ingredients!? HELP!!!! Also i have call backs to make for fall shows...when would you recommend them in aug??

For the problem with getting the money for the food, I would explain to the hosts that they are getting $15 in free product value (compared to a catalog show) to reimburse them for their "expenses". Maybe that way they will understand better. :) Hope that helps

I've been training my new consultants to tell their hosts they will be their personal shopper--PC gives them $15 FPV and I am only asking you for $10 back when I get there--I always let my hosts know what I am bringing--I don't give a choice---my new consultants get reimbursed most of what they paid and do have a receipt for all??!!

also some products we have the host get they may never use again-but we would--I also do a show where I don't cook in front of the guests (express show)---so alot of prep is done before I get there--and with a new consultant I think my girls like the some prep at home part--not so intimidating to get there and see all these ingredients on counter

I alwyas bring the food to my shows but I didn't want my new consultants thinking they needed to start out with that big expense--

I'm training 2 newbies today--altho one is in afternoon and one at nite--I like to go to their home one on one

i let my host buy the ingredients for the show- i send three recipes in the host pacet and they now they have to choose one recipe and buy the ingredients-never had anyone that didn't want to buy the ingredients...it saves you time and that's what they are getting the $15 fpv for.

I have started purchasing the ingredients for my shows as a bonus for my hosts. Yes, it is an extra expense, but generally you are still making money. I have never asked a host to reimburse me. But, I do know that some do not like to pay for ingredients. I had a problem when I first started with hosts complaining about having to buy ingredients for the recipe....and you are right, some items they have to buy more than they need and will never use it again....What I told them was, "The Pampered Chef gives you $15.00 in free merchandise to thank you for purchasing the ingredients and getting your friends together" - when I first started it was points, but I don't remember the number. If they were having a MK, Home Interior, or any othe type of show, they would go out and buy food and drinks for their guests. It is the same concept, except they don't have to fix the food because we do it. I have had shows in my home where I spent about 40.00 to make sure my guests had a snack and drink.

I have been doing PC for 5 years and I have never had anyone complain about buying the groceries. I always tell people when they are booking and part of my booking spiel at the show, " It's the easiest home party you'll ever have! All you have to do is invite the guests and pick up the ingredients for the recipe, and I do the rest! And The Pampered Chef is even going to reward you for doing those things by starting you out with a $15 credit for free products, even before you have any sales! Does'nt that sound easy and fun?"

I think that if you actually include it when you talk about bookings at your shows, then it is expected, and you put it in terms of "All you have to do is this, and the PC will reward you for it by giving you this" then they don't see it as a bad thing.

The only time I offer a FREE cooking show, is if I have some dates not to far in the future that I absolutely want to fill. i will write FREE on those dates in my calendar, and if someone chooses that date, then i will bring the ingredients. But only once in a while do I do that!

Hope that helps a little!

I give the host a choice of recipes but then I do tell them since it was their choice they have to buy the ingredients. But if I pick the recipe I buy the ingredients. So far, everyone wanted the power to choose their own recipe so they all buy the ingredients. It works for me.

But for the girl who wont reimburse you. I would take off what you can on your taxes. Keep the reciepts!! This will benefit you next year, not right now though.

I haven't had a problem with getting the hosts to buy--but I am noticing that I'm having more trouble with what they buy than actually the buying itself. For instance, I did a show for someone and I did the mini fruit pizzas--well I put on the ingredient list fresh strawberries, well I get there and there is a bag of thawed out frozen strawberries-- I guess it was ok, but definitely not as good as if it had been fresh. They've bought pre-grated cheese when I've asked them to buy block....things like that. That in itself makes me want to do it...but being still pretty new, I don't have the same budget as someone who has been doing this for awhile.

I have not had any problems with host buying the ingredients. Most of the time I have them pick the ingredients up at the store.If it is someone I know is really busy, I will volunteer to get them and provide a receipt for reimbursement. I make sure they know up-front they buy the ingredients and get $15 FPV for it. I like to provide them with a "shopping list" as well as the recipe. That way the list will say a "block" of cheese where the recipe will say "grated". That has reduced the confusion on me needing the block. And they can just take that "shopping list" with them to the store and not have to worry about reading the recipe and missing something.

Kim,

I've had the same problem with the wrong things being picked up or the panicked call from a hostess that they couldn't find xyz. I give a shopping list as well but sometimes people don't pay that much attention to it. When I call them about which recipe they selected (I usually give three choices) I joke about making sure they're not too helpful. I let them know about a past hostess who grated the cheese opened the cans and sliced the veggies for me which left me standing there with a food chopper and nothing to chop. They usually laugh and seem to remember then. It seems to be going better now. I do sometimes pick up ingredients for a show and give it to the hostess. I had a really hard time finding the jalapeno jelly for the potstickers so I picked up a couple of extra jars and let the hostess know I would bring that for them.

I personally jsut buy the ingridance for the recipie for my host, Yes it is an added expense, But I have never asked them to buy the ingrediance before, and I guess I am too afraid that they won't host a party if I asked them to purchase the food. But since my DAY job is at a tax office... I look at it as a business expense and I just write it down in my expense book. But that is what works for me personally!!!

I have only been bringing ingredients to my shows that are unusual or that they would not normally have. Example poppy seeds, Sliced Roasted Almonds since I have them I bring those to, white wine vinegar, the balsamic dressing for the mini caprese sandwiches etc. My theory is I have some of these that are oddities for some so I offer to bring them. Why ask a host to buy a bottle
of dressing when you only need a tablespoon or two. I'm going to practice those recipes at home anyways. I bring my own parmesan when I want to grate it. I let my hosts buy most of the ingredients though. I think though if I was pulling out 1000.00 shows four times a month I might do differently.

Do not price yourself out of your comission is what I look at.

Last edited:
PamG said:
I have only been bringing ingredients to my shows that are unusual or that they would not normally have. Example poppy seeds, Sliced Roasted Almonds since I have them I bring those to, white wine vinegar, the balsamic dressing for the mini caprese sandwiches etc. My theory is I have some of these that are oddities for some so I offer to bring them. Why ask a host to buy a bottle of dressing when you only need a tablespoon or two. I'm going to practice those recipes at home anyways. I bring my own parmesan when I want to grate it. I let my hosts buy most of the ingredients though.
This is what I do too. If there are strange ingredients I bring them with me. My big fear is that I'll forget them, though! The door out to my garage is metal, so I put on of the HWC clips on there and leave myself notes of what to be sure to remember to bring.

By the way, I've NEVER had a host complain about buying ingredients in the nearly 3 1/2 years I've been doing this.:)

Related to How Do I Handle Host Coaching and Ingredient Purchases for a Successful Party?

1. What should I do if my host cancels their party?

If your host cancels their party, the best thing to do is to reach out to them and see if they would be interested in rescheduling. If they are unable to reschedule, you can try to find another host to take their place. It's important to communicate with your host and find a solution that works for both of you.

2. My host is having trouble getting enough guests to attend the party. What can I do to help?

One thing you can do to help your host is to provide them with resources to invite more guests. This could include sending them a link to your online catalog, providing them with invitations to send out, or even offering to help them brainstorm ideas for how to get more guests to attend. Remember, the more guests that attend the party, the more successful it will be for both you and your host.

3. Can I offer a discount to my host if they are having trouble meeting their sales goal?

It is up to your discretion as a consultant whether or not you want to offer a discount to your host if they are having trouble meeting their sales goal. However, keep in mind that offering a discount may devalue the products and could potentially hurt your sales in the long run. It's important to have open and honest communication with your host and work together to find a solution without resorting to discounts.

4. My host wants to cancel their party because they are worried about meeting their sales goal. What should I do?

If your host is worried about meeting their sales goal, it's important to reassure them and remind them that parties can be successful even with a lower sales amount. You can also offer to help them come up with ideas to boost sales, such as offering a special incentive for guests who place larger orders or hosting a giveaway. It's important to be understanding and supportive of your host's concerns, but also to encourage them to stick with the party.

5. My host is having technical difficulties with their online party. How can I help?

If your host is having technical difficulties with their online party, the best thing to do is to offer your support and help troubleshoot the issue. This could include walking them through the steps to set up their online party, providing them with resources or tutorials, or even offering to take over the technical aspects of the party for them. It's important to be patient and understanding, as not everyone may be familiar with online parties or technology in general.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchef.angel
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
monicag
  • kayleigh
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
raebates
  • kdangel518