• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Revive My Business After Taking Time Off to Care for My Mother?

In summary, Amanda is having a very hard time trying to get her business back up after taking a month off to take care of her mother. She has called around to try to get a cheap booth at a church and then start a fundraiser for their volunteer fire department, but neither one got off the ground. She is also very stressed out and wants to give up. However, she loves being home with her little girl and is looking for advice. She has tried asking people she knows for referrals, wearing a Pampered Chef article of clothing, and pampering her business. She also wants to open an open house to kick off
ragschef
I'm having a very hard time trying to get my business to pick back up. I had to take a month off to take care of my mom who is not doing very well. But I also have to make some money as I am a stay at home mom who needs to contribute to the monthly income. I have "pampered cheffed-out" my clients and need a new avenue to take. I've called around to try to get a cheap booth at a church and then start a fundraiser for our volunteer fire dept, but neither one got off the ground. I'm so upset about everything going on, that I really just want to give up and go back to work, but i love being home with my little girl. I really need advice and encouragement. Anything will help. Thanks.

Amanda, first let me tell you that your Mom is one lucky lady to have such a devoted and loving daughter. I have tears in my eyes just reading your post.

How about asking the people you do know for some help...as far as referrals for bookings? I know that fairs, etc. are good places to get your name out, but if time out of the house is precious (which it sounds like it is) your time is best spent doing actual parties. (this is my experience only).

Wear a Pampered Chef article of clothing...you never know who may be looking for a consultant. When I brought my father to the ER once, a nurse tastefully waited for the right time to ask me about PC. I was wearing a jacket and carrying a purse that had PC logos. In this instance, I did not get her name to follow up, but I did leave her with a catalog.

You are trying to establish the same devoted and loving relationship with your daughter and what a perfect fit PC is for all that you have going on.

Be as persistant and patient with your PC business as you can, but also, realize that you are under tremendous stress and make sure you take time to take care of Amanda! Your mother and daughter need YOU to take care of yourself.

{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}} to you and your wonderful family. Just keep doing what you can and I bet it will all work out in the end. Don't be afraid to ask your upline for help and know that your CS friends are here for you.

What about pampering a business? Maybe bring in goodies with catalogs to your church, bank, hair stylist...

Or call around to local bridal shows and ask if you could set up a booth on a Saturday for a couple of hours. Wedding Registries are an awesome source of income with very little work.

Have you tried calling all past customers even outside orders and doing customer care calls? Just checking in to see if you love your products, do you need a recipe or instructions... that sort of thing.

With the new products, you should be able to peek some interest from previous customers.

Amanda....#1 hope your mom feels better. My mantra is that my family always comes first..I have 2 awesome kids, stay home, and love to be there for them...#2 I was in the same spot as you were-family health issues, personal health issues, etc. last year...when I was ready to get back on track with PC I felt like I was trying to bicycle up a steeeep hill after stopping half way up(hard, but not impossible)...#3what about having an open house to kick off the new season??? Offer guests a small ($10-12) something extra for booking, or you pay for the recipe requirements, etc. or ..I have a super inexpensive chocolate cake recipe if you have the fluted stone ( or maybe can borrow one)..let me know...hope this wasn't too long:blushing:

Amanda,

I know how hard that is. I took care of my mother for 2 months at the end of her life. She lived 1300 miles from here so I had to leave my business and family and pretty much give up my life. It's not easy and my prayers are with you.

I can tell you that you will never regret being there with her during this time - when she's better she'll share how great it made her feel to have you there. That month was a priceless time in your relationship with her. I was fortunate that it was the very beginning of a month through the very end of another so I happened to have shows go in at both ends of the time (I was a new director so staying active was imperative for me). I missed out on the fast track for new directors and a promotion (trip to Chicago for the 25th Anniversary in October - I was SO on track for that) but I wouldn't have done anything different.

I know you are working on promoting too and have several recruits so that $200 every 2 months is vital to you too. You can do it.

Ideas: Send out an email to your entire customer base and tell them that you have had to take some time away from your business and need their help to get back on track. Ask for referrals - who do THEY know. Remind them we now have a new catalog and tell them you're putting a show in. Offer incentives like a drawing for the host benefits or 10% off their orders or a free gift with each bookign referral (I know you need the income but right now you need the contacts and sales to stay active and refill your calendar).

When shopping make a point of talking with the people there - owner, workers, other customers. Carry a catalog or cookbook...

Be yourself and it will happen. Allow yourself the time to deal with everything now. Do what you have to but take care of yourself first and formost.

Last edited:
Amanda,

I know how hard that is. I took care of my mother for 2 months at the end of her life. She lived 1300 miles from here so I had to leave my business and family and pretty much give up my life. It's not easy and my prayers are with you.

I can tell you that you will never regret being there with her during this time. That month was worth anything. I was fortunate that it was the very beginning of a month through the very end of another so I happened to have shows go in at both ends of the time (I was a new director so staying active was imperative for me). I missed out on the fast track for new directors and a promotion (trip to Chicago for the 25th Anniversary in October - I was SO on track for that) but I wouldn't have done anything different.

I know you are working on promoting too and have several recruits so that $200 every 2 months is vital to you too. You can do it.

Ideas: Send out an email to your entire customer base and tell them that you have had to take some time away from your business and need their help to get back on track. Ask for referrals - who do THEY know. Remind them we now have a new catalog and tell them you're putting a show in. Offer incentives like a drawing for the host benefits or 10% off their orders or a free gift with each bookign referral (I know you need the income but right now you need the contacts and sales to stay active and refill your calendar).

When shopping make a point of talking with the people there - owner, workers, other customers. Carry a catalog or cookbook...

Be yourself and it will happen. Allow yourself the time to deal with everything now. Do what you have to but take care of yourself first and formost.

Related to How Can I Revive My Business After Taking Time Off to Care for My Mother?

1. How can I balance taking care of my mom and running my business?

Balancing personal obligations and professional responsibilities can be challenging, especially when unexpected events arise. In this situation, it may be helpful to prioritize tasks and delegate when possible. This could involve hiring additional help for your business or asking family members for assistance with caregiving for your mom.

2. How can I find new clients or avenues to generate income for my business?

One option could be to utilize social media and online platforms to reach potential clients. You could also consider networking with other businesses or organizations in your community to explore partnership opportunities. Additionally, brainstorming new and creative ways to market your products or services may help attract new clients.

3. How can I stay motivated and positive during this difficult time?

It's understandable to feel discouraged and overwhelmed during challenging times. It may be helpful to set small achievable goals for yourself and celebrate each accomplishment. Additionally, seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist can provide a positive outlet for your emotions and help you stay motivated.

4. What are some alternative options for fundraising for my business?

In addition to church or volunteer fire department fundraisers, there are other options such as hosting an online auction or creating a crowdfunding campaign. You could also consider reaching out to local businesses or organizations for potential sponsorship opportunities.

5. Is it better for me to go back to work or continue being a stay at home mom and business owner?

This is a personal decision that only you can make. It may be helpful to weigh the pros and cons of both options and consider what is best for you and your family in the long term. You could also seek advice from a career counselor or mentor to help you make an informed decision.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• brendaziz
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
Rosebud
  • pampered2007
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
katylunsford
  • Krista Burson