• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Are You Doing With Your Holiday Budget?

In summary, the conversation is about managing holiday budgets and how different people handle it. Some have set budgets and stick to them, while others rely on finding good deals and sales to save money. Some have overspent but not gone into debt, while others have struggled to stick to their budget due to unexpected expenses. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of budgeting and planning ahead for holiday spending.
NooraK
Gold Member
I know we have a TMMO group, but I also know I forget about it all the time. So I thought I'd post a thread.

How are you doing with your holiday budget?

We did FPU in February of 2009. Last year DH made some great bonuses, so I overspent, but didn't go into debt. This year, I've been setting aside $100 per month into the gift category, though that's also been used throughout the year to pay for birthday presents and such.

I'm all done with my shopping. I had pretty much all of it done before Thanksgiving. We cut our list really short, and I got some great deals by following some money saving blogs.

I have to admit, I have gone over the budget a little bit. I can't help myself sometimes when I see great toys for the boys. I haven't gone into debt, but I also know that from this point forward I can not buy any more presents.

I've never really set a budget. I know how much I'll spend on each person and generally stick to that amount.

I've done GREAT! I've found some super deals - mostly on Amazon. The best one being the one Deb (Jennings) pointed me towards, where I was able to get a Razor Scooter (normally a $70 item) for $16.99! WAHOOOO!

with deals like that, I was able to actually stay below budget. I have one more gift to get for DH, and a gift each to purchase for my two little nephews.

That's it, other than a few little stocking stuffers. It's hard to not keep buying when I know there's still money there!

wadesgirl said:
I've never really set a budget. I know how much I'll spend on each person and generally stick to that amount.

This is what I do, too. And if I can get something on sale (like buy 1 Wii game, get 1 half off) I don't overspend.

ChefBeckyD said:
I've done GREAT! I've found some super deals - mostly on Amazon. The best one being the one Deb (Jennings) pointed me towards, where I was able to get a Razor Scooter (normally a $70 item) for $16.99! WAHOOOO!

with deals like that, I was able to actually stay below budget. I have one more gift to get for DH, and a gift each to purchase for my two little nephews.

That's it, other than a few little stocking stuffers. It's hard to not keep buying when I know there's still money there!

I have found some good deals on Amazon as well!
A few weeks ago I bought DD the videocam barbie for $35 and FREE ship, when in the store I saw it for $50 and put it back on the shelf!
Today I bought my 14 yr old stepson a PSP bundle w/ a game, a movie, and a 1G memory stick for $189...the game console itself sells for $199 so I was happy w/ that!
Hubby bought me 2 books from there for less than $30! Hardback, ALL w/ Free ship! I don't buy alot online because of the shipping cost but if I can get free shipping AND get it cheaper, I'm all over it.

Weeellll, we set a budget. But my hubby is one of those people that likes to think "Oh, we spent less on X area of budget so I guess I'll spend that extra on X" without consulting me. He's gotten MUCH better about it, but it's still a struggle. We also have the problem where when we take long trips we understimate the cost, by a LOT sometimes.

So my Christmas budget is gone and half the gifts are not bought. We didn't budget our Dec 15th paycheck in because we were overly certain we wouldn't need it.
Well, needless to say - now we do. I now have to wait until the 15th to get the few other gifts on our list and send them to their destinations.

Not only is that paycheck saving us from looking like idiots, I'm glad I'm one of those people that spots a major deal in July and thinks "Suzy would love that! I'll get it and hang on to it for Christmas" and then I do.
Hubby hates that, but hopefully after the Great Budget Blowup of 2010 he'll finally realize why I do it!

chefsteph07 said:
I have found some good deals on Amazon as well!
A few weeks ago I bought DD the videocam barbie for $35 and FREE ship, when in the store I saw it for $50 and put it back on the shelf!
Today I bought my 14 yr old stepson a PSP bundle w/ a game, a movie, and a 1G memory stick for $189...the game console itself sells for $199 so I was happy w/ that!
Hubby bought me 2 books from there for less than $30! Hardback, ALL w/ Free ship! I don't buy alot online because of the shipping cost but if I can get free shipping AND get it cheaper, I'm all over it.

I love Amazon for the free shipping. I buy a lot of my gluten-free baking supplies on Amazon. They have the best prices AND free shipping for it! Because I was also buying some other supplies at the same time I bought the scooter, I was able to get the scooter for free shipping too! If I'd paid for shipping it would have doubled the cost!

Wahoo...thank's to my husband we are done with our Christmas shopping. He love's Amazon, too. He bought some PS 3 games for there for cheap, games that are $40-$60 at the store, he got them for under $20 and free shipping...great deal.

Mine is easy! No money - no budget!

mine is easier... kids don't have a list, they don't want or need anything....I HATE just giving them cash but they insist they don't want anything. they don't even want Santa to fill their stockings this year :(

Teresa Lynn said:
mine is easier... kids don't have a list, they don't want or need anything....

I HATE just giving them cash but they insist they don't want anything. they don't even want Santa to fill their stockings this year :(

Well that's no fun! Don't your kids know that Christmas is about the PARENTS? LOL
How old are your kids?

I agree!! Unfortunately since their dad moved out they have survival instincts and they would rather buy groceries than have games, movies etc. and their world has been rocked and they know it will never be the holidays like before If this divorce could ever be final I could move on too... as it is he lives with his "mistress" (he hates it when I call her that personally, I think it is the NICEST thing I can call her) They are almost 23, almost 21 and almost 18

Teresa Lynn said:
I agree!! Unfortunately since their dad moved out they have survival instincts and they would rather buy groceries than have games, movies etc. and their world has been rocked and they know it will never be the holidays like before

If this divorce could ever be final I could move on too... as it is he lives with his "mistress" (he hates it when I call her that personally, I think it is the NICEST thing I can call her)

They are almost 23, almost 21 and almost 18

Fill their stockings anyway! But you could do practicle things for them instead of candy and crap!

Teresa Lynn said:
I agree!! Unfortunately since their dad moved out they have survival instincts and they would rather buy groceries than have games, movies etc. and their world has been rocked and they know it will never be the holidays like before

If this divorce could ever be final I could move on too... as it is he lives with his "mistress" (he hates it when I call her that personally, I think it is the NICEST thing I can call her)

They are almost 23, almost 21 and almost 18

Teresa - you are such a strong woman.

I was 20 when my little brother (age 18) was killed in a car accident 6 weeks before Christmas. We didn't want to celebrate either. I had an 11 year old brother, though, so we had to come up with some way to still do Christmas. First, we changed location. We had always had Christmas in the Family Room with the big stone fireplace. We moved it to the more formal living room. Instead of a "Christmas" tree, we bought a Tree to be planted in my brother's memory, and decorated it with simple lights and little ornaments (we didn't get out any of our special ornaments). We found a "new normal" that year.

Then, 2 years later, my parents divorced - again...we had to find a new normal. More difficult this time, since we were still experiencing the loss of my brother.

You, with your kids, will be able to find your own "new normal". I know - you are too smart and strong, so you will. Make new traditions, and new special times. The first one is the hardest....

Maybe have your kids be Santa to each other, and be the ones to fill each others stockings!

((((((HUGS))))))

as they got older Santa traded in the candy and stuffed them with "memorabilia" things they loved as a kid. Loved roaming toys r us again for Pez dispensers, hot wheels, those balloons you blow up out of a tube etc. this year it will be gift cards for their favorite fast food and yes the dreaded socks, thongs and boxers :) Becky,
thanks I never knew how strong I was until faced with this.
The hard part is he keeps taking her to Iowa for family events and they all freaking accept her... Are you kidding me? We are still MARRIED and ya'll approve of him bringing her..... His dad's funeral was interesting. He wanted her to sit with the kids and I. sorry for the hijack!!

Teresa Lynn said:
as they got older Santa traded in the candy and stuffed them with "memorabilia" things they loved as a kid. Loved roaming toys r us again for Pez dispensers, hot wheels, those balloons you blow up out of a tube etc. this year it will be gift cards for their favorite fast food and yes the dreaded socks, thongs and boxers :)

Becky,
thanks I never knew how strong I was until faced with this.
The hard part is he keeps taking her to Iowa for family events and they all freaking accept her... Are you kidding me? We are still MARRIED and ya'll approve of him bringing her..... His dad's funeral was interesting. He wanted her to sit with the kids and I.

sorry for the hijack!!

Been there - from the perspective of an adult child. He thinks it's all good now, but he has permanently damaged his relationship with his children, and one day, when they have to make a choice, and they choose to bring the grandchildren and spend Holidays with you, and not him...it will come back to haunt him. It's still painful. I wish people could look at the big picture before they make these stupid decisions to destroy a family.

1. How can I stick to my holiday budget without sacrificing quality gifts?

One way to stick to your holiday budget while still giving quality gifts is to create a list of people you need to buy gifts for and set a specific budget for each person. This will help you stay organized and make sure you don't overspend. Additionally, consider making homemade gifts or shopping during sales to save money without sacrificing quality.

2. How do I handle unexpected holiday expenses that may come up?

It's important to leave some wiggle room in your holiday budget for unexpected expenses. If possible, try to save a small amount each month leading up to the holiday season to have a cushion for these types of expenses. If an unexpected expense does arise, consider adjusting your budget and cutting back in other areas to make up for it.

3. Should I use credit cards to help with my holiday budget?

While it may be tempting to use credit cards to help with holiday expenses, it's important to be cautious. Using credit cards can lead to overspending and high interest rates if the balance is not paid off in a timely manner. Consider using cash or a debit card instead to stick to your budget and avoid debt.

4. How do I handle gift exchanges with a large group of friends or family?

If you have a large group of friends or family members who do gift exchanges, consider suggesting a Secret Santa or White Elephant style exchange. This way, everyone only needs to buy one gift instead of multiple, helping to keep costs down. You can also set a budget for the gift exchange to ensure everyone stays within a reasonable price range.

5. What are some ways to save money on holiday decorations?

There are many ways to save money on holiday decorations. Consider making your own decorations using materials you already have at home, or shopping at discount stores or thrift shops. You can also reuse decorations from previous years or swap decorations with friends or family members to add variety without spending a lot of money.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• esavvymom
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • NooraK
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
NooraK
Replies