• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Personal Serious Topic: What to Do When You Get Sick?

In summary, theOptimist is recovering from surgery and is anxious about maintaining her consultant status. She is asking for advice from others who have gone through similar experiences.
Optimist78
Morning All,

I started selling PC in October of this year. Been doing well so far, and enjoying the experience. I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer on Thursday of last week. I'm having my thyroid and neck lymph nodes removed on Jan 3rd.

The prognosis is good. I'm trying to maintain a good attitude and my sense of humor. I'm finding myself feeling a bit overwhelmed, in that I have a number of shows lined up for Jan/Feb/March. No dates set or invites sent out (whew!), but friends that wanted to book after the holidays. They'll understand I am sure, but I'm concerned about the affect on my PC status. (Among about 1,000 other things I'm concerned about right now...)

Does HO take into account serious illness when it comes to maintaining consultant status? Will they be flexible? I may be able to do shows after my surgery and before radiation starts, but I don't know what my energy level is going to be like. Also, after 8 hours of surgery, I'm not going to look "pretty" in a presentability sense for who knows how long. :( I certainly don't want to gross any customers out from the bruising and scars I'll have...

I don't know what to do. :confused: I don't know if I should plan anything for January. Does anyone out there have any thoughts. I'd appreciate any positive and sensible feedback I can get.

Thanks everyone, and happy holidays,

~Optimist (more than ever now!)

You can request a 2 month waiver (review the policy guide for full details) or talk with your hosts and let them know what's going on. You can ask them if they would like to reschedule for later in the year, sign as a consultant & let their show be their first or switch over & do a catalog show in lieu of a cooking show. I had several opt for catalog shows while I was out on maternity leave recovering from a c-section. They knew I couldn't come to them, so they opted for the catalog show to help me stay active. I didn't know back then to try & recruit them! LOL You'll be amazed at what people will volunteer to do to help you while you are unable to go to them. :D

Good luck on your procedure and your recovery. I hope it goes well for you.

Please know that you have a very good prognosis. My son-in-law was diagnosed with the very same type of thyroid cancer - 10 years ago - 5 months after they got married. He had the thyroidectomy and the radioactive iodine treatments and was back at work within 3-4 weeks. They were advised that he may become sterile from the treatment but they decided to let God take care of that. I am happy to report that I am the very proud Grandma of 3 healthy beautiful grandchildren. He just went for his 10year check-up in November and has remained cancer free. Sure he has to be on thryoid replacement meds the rest of his life, but so do 80% of the population - me included- due to hyporthyroidism.
You are in my prayers for a successful surgery and a speedy recovery. Set up a book show for January and have someone go with you to your other shows. You wil be fine.

I think you might be surprised to learn just how supportive people can be when it comes to being a survivor. And welcome to our club. ;)

Hang in there - we're all praying for your swift recovery!!

I have been a Consultant for 13 1/2 years now, believe it or not, and gone thru several surgeries myself, including one last Thursday! Anyway, here's what I have found to work for doing PC and having/recovering from operations, some of them, such as this one, quite serious....
Do a show the month before, but don't submit it until you are into the first of the month you're having surgery in. Then, submit the show on the first of the month. It will maintain your status for the rest of the month of the procedure, and you can then feel more relaxed, which is crucial for a speedy recovery, knowing you're covered for at least the rest of the month.
The month after surgery, do a show, even if it's a catalog show, so you can submit something. If this doesn't work, it's still OK. You can not submit this month, as you're still covered from submitting the last month.
The 2nd month after surgery, it will then be necessary to submit a show, but by now you should be at least 6-8 weeks post-surgical, so it shouldn't be that hard to do. If you're limited in lifting, just tell the host, and I guarantee she/he will be fine with helping you load/unload your stuff.
Make sense?
It has always worked for me, which is why I decided to write.
When I became a Consultant, I had to have a colon resection, where they removed a foot of my colon, in my second month! I was in the hospital for 6 days...quite a party! Anyway, I did no shows my second month, then did a catalog show my third, plus a show for a neighbor who helped me load/unload the car, five weeks after the procedure, and everything was fine!
I just had an abdominal hysterectomy, with multiple complications. Surgery was five hours long, with two surgeons. I had to have 2 units of blood, plus treatment for prevention of impending pneumonia...it's probably about the sickest I've ever been. Hospitalized for 6 days. Again! Anyway, I had already submitted a show in December. I have shows for January, but not until halfway thru the month, so I anticipate being OK by then.
Hope this helps!! Best of luck to you!!

Hi All,Thank you to all who posted! It helped reveal the light at the end of the tunnel and a strategy moving forward. I have a few friends that I think could pull off a catalog show with flying colors - I just feel bad that I'm taking away a cooking show from them... They'd get so much more, ya know?I need to get ready for work now, so I'll try to post more later. Know that all the knowledge you've shared and well wishes you've sent are helping me sort this piece of the puzzle out. :) Thanks so much!!!~Optimist

If they are brave, have them come pick up the tools and actually do an interactive cooking show where all the guests get up and help. If they are good friends, they will probably enjoy the challenge and the opportunity to help you. They could always call with specific questions. ;) I'm betting that the guests will be super understanding and have lots of fun selling the various products to one another and/or trying to figure it all out! :)Is your recruiter or upline near by? If so, maybe one of them would volunteer to go and explain that it's your show and why they are filling in. ;)

Ask the ones doing catalog shows to rebook themselves w/in the 6 mos for the "live" show and they will qualify for 2 host specials at the second one. One as host, and one as the past host.

1. What should I do if I start feeling sick?

If you start to feel sick, the first thing you should do is stay home and rest. Avoid contact with others to prevent spreading any potential illness. If your symptoms are mild, you can treat them at home with over-the-counter medication, fluids, and rest. If your symptoms worsen or persist, it's best to seek medical advice.

2. How can I prevent getting sick?

The best way to prevent getting sick is to maintain good hygiene. This includes regularly washing your hands with soap and water, avoiding close contact with others who are sick, and keeping your surroundings clean. It's also essential to maintain a healthy lifestyle by eating a balanced diet, exercising regularly, and getting enough sleep.

3. Should I go to work if I'm feeling sick?

If you are feeling sick, it's best to stay home and rest. Going to work when you are sick not only puts your health at risk but also increases the chance of spreading the illness to others. Most companies have sick leave policies in place, so it's essential to follow them and take the time you need to recover.

4. What should I do if I have a fever?

If you have a fever, it's best to stay home and rest. You can treat a fever with over-the-counter medication, such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen. It's also crucial to stay hydrated and get plenty of rest. If your fever persists or is accompanied by other severe symptoms, it's best to seek medical advice.

5. Should I get a flu shot?

Getting a flu shot is one of the most effective ways to prevent getting sick. The flu shot helps protect against the most common strains of the flu virus. It's recommended to get a flu shot every year, preferably before the start of flu season. However, it's always best to consult with your doctor to determine if a flu shot is right for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• cmdtrgd
  • General Chat
2 3
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • wadesgirl
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
aried