• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Meals: How to Decide and Simplify Your Show Planning?

giving them a recipe to make at home. If they want to eat something else with their meal, that's up to them. But I usually suggest something sweet or savory, since that's what people usually want when they come to these events.
clshirk
Ok, I think I'm in the right section for this. As I'm coming up on my big run of shows, 4 of my next 7 shows were booked off my last show, which I hosted, so I went overboard and did like 3 things. Of course everyone loves them plus other things. What's the best way to pick meals? I tell them that really the ingredients are their responsibility (of course I know I have the option of buying and asking for a $15 reimbursement), but I have a hard time pinning down some ideas.
Should I just give them a couple ideas and say here, I'll either make the strawberry amaretto pastries and the 30 minute chicken, or we can do a trifle and chicken quesidias? How much input should the host put into this?
I just bought the Deep Covered baker so I'm really wanting to make a chicken at a few of these shows. I think it'll sell to at least someone if I can show it.

Just give them a choice of a couple of recipes. If they mention the ones you did at your show, just tell them that you went a little overboard since it was your show. If the host doesn't like my choices (which doesn't happen very often), then I usually have a back up or two in mind.

I ask if they want an appetizer, main dish, or dessert. Then I steer them to what I want to make in that category.

For April, appetizer and main dish is Aloha Pizza and dessert is either a trifle or Strawberry Amaretto Pastries.

I try to keep it simple. One recipe only and I steer them towards what I want to do.

For most people, the best thing is to use either/or questions. It makes the decisions easier. If you offer one of two recipes and neither sounds good, you can offer two more.

Do you usually recommend that they make something else also? Seems anytime I've hosted a party myself or been to parties, the host usually makes something else along side the consultant's dish, but I feel bad making the suggestion, although I have. I just know that many people come to these parties to eat and I hate to make one dish only and have the guests expect more, I think they'll buy more if their tummies are happy. But I don't have time to make more than 1-2 recipes during a show.

I demo one recipe only. Our recipes are designed to give everyone a TASTE. I am not a caterer.

If I am demoing an app or main dish, I suggest the host provide something sweet. If I am demoing a dessert, I suggest the host provide something savory. I also tell her to have drinks, cups, plates, forks, etc.

I usually demo two recipes -- while the first one is baking I assemble the second one (in February I made the chocolate pecan lattice and while it baked I did assembled the harvest chicken salad).

Often do a ring/wreath and while baking do a dessert. I sold LOTS of apple/peeler/slicer corers this spring because I kept doing apple desserts.

Now I'm starting to do trifles to feature the trifle bowl. I send my hosts a list of about 4 entrees and 4 desserts and tell them that they can pick 1 or 2 (but because of time no more than 2) to make. I also have my hosts buy all the ingredients.

In my selections I usually have 2 or 3 new featured recipes and 1 or 2 classic recipes. Everyone loves rings and it definitely helps sell stoneware. By offering several choices, when I get a booking from a show I don't have to worry about repeating a recipe unless the host wants me to.

yeah i ask what KIND of food the host wants, appetizer desert or actual meal. then i look thru the recipes and pick something i want to want and give those choices to the host. usually they like one certain thing. or if they want a themed party then suggest something that goes with the theme

clshirk said:
Do you usually recommend that they make something else also? Seems anytime I've hosted a party myself or been to parties, the host usually makes something else along side the consultant's dish, but I feel bad making the suggestion, although I have. I just know that many people come to these parties to eat and I hate to make one dish only and have the guests expect more, I think they'll buy more if their tummies are happy. But I don't have time to make more than 1-2 recipes during a show.

Remember, we're not feeding them a meal. We're offering a snack in order to demonstrate the value of owning our tools.

I tell my hosts that this is their party. There is no need for them to make anything extra. I do suggest that they have something ready for their guests to drink. They are more than welcome to make additional food. However, it is not required, nor is it necessary.

I've had hosts who provided a full buffet of additional food. I've had hosts who provided only a pitcher of iced tea. I've had wonderfully successful shows with both.

I usually tell them that I am featuring "X" recipe for the month and ask "How does that sound?" Its been rare that I haven't done that one.

I normally give them a choice between 2 or 3 recipes and they choose one. I tell them if they want additional food they can prepare their own or I will be glad to give them some PC recipes that will go with what I am demoing. I use to do 2 recipes but I love it so much better now that I only do 1. My shows are not as long and is has not made my sales go down at all. If it is going to be a big show or is a host who I know really works for great sales I will offer to do something else VERY simple that I will make and bring with me. I am doing CHEAP trifles I got off here for "special" hosts. If I do a recipe and bring it with me I always use that as my "hostess gift" and do not give anything else.

I guess I was thinking that I should do the 30 minute chicken in the deep dish baker to show it off while making pastries on the side. So far all my guests have loved those and want those at their show- of course they want the trifle too on the front page, so I have to get them geared towards one or the other.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll remember these when planning the shows- maybe just plan to offer one idea and if they want to make more, then that's fine and up to them.

raebates said:
Remember, we're not feeding them a meal. We're offering a snack in order to demonstrate the value of owning our tools.

I think that completely depends upon the time of the show as well as the expectations of the host and guests -- in my circle of friends (and thus my initial shows and those booked from them) people DO expect to actually eat, not just get a taste. As a host I ALWAYS provided other food -- I have had hosts requests that I double the recipe so there is enough for everyone to really eat or to make extra recipes. I've also had 4 different (not related in anyway) hosts request I send them extre recipes that they can make in advance to feed the guests.

This may be a regional thing or a class thing, but it is very much expected that there be enough food at shows -- whether it is a PC show, jewelry, candle, makeup, skin care or other type of party, food is ALWAYS expected and if it isn't provided the guests definitely don't order as much.

You're right, Laura. It does depend on the time of day and, most likely, the region. My evening shows are late enough for most people to have a chance to grab a bite before-hand. Saturday shows are 10 a.m. or 2 p.m., so not right at mealtime.It's just that people sometimes assume that we're one of those "I'll come and cook you dinner" companies.

I've steered people towards planning for other food--I tell them that it is up to them but that they might want to have something else for people to nibble on while I make the recipe. I went overboard at my first several shows--made a couple of recipes and paid for the food--and that got old really fast. No one has complained at just one recipe and I've basically been able to push people towards a recipe--i think they will just defer to our "authority" if we suggest something. So far I've only actually done 4 different recipes since I started for shows--more for my own open house--but most of my hosts have not been from former shows so they've been fine with that.

I do the same recipes all month long...changing them every month
I do two recipes...One is ready before guests arrive..usually the appetizer...
The other is the demo...that is ready to eat when the demo is done...no baking etc after the demo.

If they want to make something that is completely up to them, I don't recommend it...I don't want them making a family favorite...and it takes away from PC's wonderful recipes...or them making a huge spread...and the PC recipes get lost! The guests aren't there for a meal -usually!

when I've let the host pick the food...a few years ago...usually it became a crazy show...Some recipes just aren't good for shows...they either take too long to cook, or don't show enough products, or something !

Plus it's nice to pick recipes that show the Host Special for the month you want to book...or the current guest special...etc...

But this is Your Business! Do it Your Way!
:)

I usually do the same recipe for the month. I don't offer a choice, and typically it's been fine. I always will do monkey bread - just because everyone loves it, and I have them eating while I start my show.

I agree with others on here - I'M NOT the caterer for the show - it's a sample, not a full fledge eat fest. Having Pampered Chef be my part time job (I have a full-time job plus a 4 1/2 year old) I don't like to be at a show any longer than 3 hours (which includes my 30-45 minutes minutes prior to the show). Making 2 full recipes is too time consuming, and I find it hard to beleive that you hold the attention of your guests for the entire time it takes you to make both recipes.

I pick one recipe a month that I have picked out and ask the host if that is fine with her. I have yet to have a host want to change. Doing this has made my life so much easier. I use to give three choices and I had some hosts say "what do you want to do" or "what do you like". It also helps having one recipe a month so you are not having to pack different tools for different recipes, than worrying if you forgot something. Plus like ChefNic said "it's nice to pick recipes that show the Host Special for the month you want to book...or the current guest special...etc..."

Related to Host Meals: How to Decide and Simplify Your Show Planning?

1. How should I decide which meals to make for my host's Pampered Chef party?

The best way to decide on meals for your host's party is to consider their preferences and dietary restrictions. You can also ask them if they have any specific requests or if there are any popular Pampered Chef recipes they would like to try. Additionally, consider the season and any upcoming holidays for inspiration.

2. How many meals should I plan for a Pampered Chef party?

This will depend on the number of guests your host is expecting and the length of the party. As a general rule, plan on making 2-3 main dishes and 2-3 side dishes. You can also offer a variety of appetizers or desserts to round out the menu.

3. Should I stick to only Pampered Chef recipes for the party?

While Pampered Chef recipes are a great choice for a party, you can also incorporate other recipes that showcase the versatility of Pampered Chef products. Just be sure to mention which products were used and how they enhanced the dish.

4. How can I accommodate guests with allergies or dietary restrictions?

You can easily adapt Pampered Chef recipes to accommodate allergies or dietary restrictions. For example, you can use gluten-free ingredients for those who are gluten intolerant or offer a vegetarian option for those who do not eat meat. You can also provide a list of ingredients for each dish so guests can check for any potential allergens.

5. Can I make the meals ahead of time or do they need to be prepared during the party?

You can do a combination of both. Some dishes can be prepped ahead of time, such as chopping vegetables or marinating meat, and then cooked during the party. Other dishes can be made ahead of time and reheated or served cold. This will depend on the recipes you choose and your personal preference.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • littlemaisyPC
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Wildfire
Replies