• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Host Doesn't Want to Buy Ingredients

done shows where the consultant paid for the ingredients and have done shows where the consultant did not pay for the ingredients. I usually think that it is up to the host to decide if they want to pay for the ingredients or not, but I have never had a host cancel because of it. I have had a few hosts that have asked me to pay for the ingredients, but I have never been refused. Most often, the hosts seem to enjoy the fact that they are able to choose the recipe and that I am able to provide them with the ingredients that they need. If the host is not interested in paying for the ingredients, then I usually apologize and say that I will not be able to participate in the show. It
Kristen
I have a show this weekend and just called the host to give her the ingredient list for her show (she's an ex-consultant, by the way). Anyway, she's at work and said she'd call me later to talk about that. She isn't happy that she has to be the one to buy the ingredients and said that it was not like that when she was a consultant. It's almost sounding like she is ready to cancel if she has to buy them!

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this? I did tell her that she gets the $15 back in product value that she does not get if she has a catalog show. Should I offer to buy the ingredients? I don't want to lose this show, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of.

Oh, and she also told me previously that she wants a dessert pizza...so I can't even pick a cheap recipe if I DO decide to buy her stuff.

Help!

Can you offer to go to the store for her and then she can reimburse you later?

Or does she just not want to spend the money?

I'm pretty sure she just doesn't want to spend the money. She says it's "not right".

if you really think she will cancel because of this, offer to pay half the cost of the ingredients. Or you could also tell her that you would pay for all the ingrediants of another recipe. Or take the chance of this being a great show and pay for the ingredients.

Did Consultants Used To Pay For Ingredients?I Just Did A Show Last Night And She Said The Last Time She Had A Show-( Like 5 Years Ago) The Consultant Paid For The Ingredients. So Did Pc Reimburse The Consultant Back I Wonder?

So Far No Hosts Have Complained About Paying For It . And If You Think About It If You Have Any Other Kind Of Party Like Jewelry, Marykay, Avon, Candle Etc The Host Does Supply Food For Her Guests!

I Probably Would Offer Her Either A Cheap Recipe If I Were To Pay For It Or Offer To Pay 1/2 I Guess? Good Luck With That One!

It depends on how enthusiastic a host she has presented herself to be. I really hate to waste my time so it would depend on how our host coaching has gone and how enthusiastic she was. Has she done a good job inviting her guests? Does it sound like it's going to be a good show? Does it seem like she's reaching for an excuse to cancel? Sometimes past consultants can be the worst customers. I don't know when she was a consultant but when I did my first show back in '95 I had to buy the groceries. She can't have her hospitality bonus and expect you to buy groceries too. Good luck!! :D Let us know how it goes.

Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes. What surprises me is she had no issues dropping $158 on the roasting pan at the show where I got her booking, but she's questioning paying $15 for ingredients!

I'll gauge her attitude when she calls but will probably offer to pay in order to not lose the show.

I know many people don't agree with this, but I always buy the ingredients for my shows. That way, I choose the recipe, I make what I want, I get the ingredients I want and the hosts really seem to like that. I just feel funny asking a host to buy the ingredients. She seems to be doing enough just by opening up her home for a night. Just my opinion. My director, who happens to be the same lady who recruited me, did all of my PC shows before I was a consultant and she never once asked me to buy the ingredients. She seems to be pretty successful so I just follow her lead!

Ingredients...
PamperedPrincess74 said:
I know many people don't agree with this, but I always buy the ingredients for my shows. That way, I choose the recipe, I make what I want, I get the ingredients I want and the hosts really seem to like that. I just feel funny asking a host to buy the ingredients. She seems to be doing enough just by opening up her home for a night. Just my opinion. My director, who happens to be the same lady who recruited me, did all of my PC shows before I was a consultant and she never once asked me to buy the ingredients. She seems to be pretty successful so I just follow her lead!

I agree with PamperedPrincess74. I have a hard time asking to be reimbursed so I just use it as my "thing". I offer one recipe and then bring a microwave cake as backup in case there are lots of people. The food is tax deductible and I steer my hosts to lower priced recipes. Plus, when I bring the ingredients, it's only on my shoulders if I forget something and everything is washed, prepped & ready to go. I find it's much easier to do some of the prep at home and finish up at the show. I still take a long time! This is another example of the different ways we all run our own businesses. What works for me may not work for someone else. All in all, whatever everyone feels comfortable with is what they should do.

Kristen said:
Thanks everyone. I'll let you know how it goes. What surprises me is she had no issues dropping $158 on the roasting pan at the show where I got her booking, but she's questioning paying $15 for ingredients!

I'll gauge her attitude when she calls but will probably offer to pay in order to not lose the show.
That is really bizarre that she bought the roasting pan for FULL price!, but has an issue with the $15. Like you said, I would gauge her enthusiasm and attitude about her show. What's your feeling so far? Is she following your suggestions on how to have a successful show? Although she SHOULD know all about that, being an ex-consultant! But, like was mentioned earlier, sometimes they can be difficult hosts or customers! I'm just sort of shaking my head about this one. Maybe offer to split it with her or if she's puting it all back on you, say you may need to amend the recipe choices.

Definitely report how the conversation goes with her. Wow, right off the bat I'd have some bad feelings toward this woman (of course nothing I'd express or anything) and the show hasn't even happened yet! I give you credit for keeping an open mind with her. Good luck! :)

I agree with everybody, feel her out, and I would probably end up buying the ingredients just to make her happy. I've been doing this almost 12 years, and we have always had the hosts buy the ingredients. Maybe she used to buy the stuff as "her way" of doing business? Good luck:)

Ange

WOW! I have never heard of this before. I thought everyone new that if they did a show they buy the food. Please let us know how it turns out. For those who buy the food does your host still get their hospitality bonus because it say it as thank you for hosting a party in your home and providing recipe ingredients, they get an additionsl 15 dollars in products. It would be a great way to make sure you have everything ready and you don't have to show up at their house extra early like i have been doing to prep and make extra stuff. But sometimes I only make between 40-60 dollars an show plus handing out free items so I don't know if it would pay me to buy the food too. How do you know your going to make it back. Sorry I'm new at this only been a consultant for almost 3 months if any one has any pointer please let me know, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected]

Thank you,

Really Simple SolutionHere's what I have been doing. I started this because I sent a host the ingredient list for a recipe and it was not a specific as it needed to be so some of the stuff she bought, we could not use.
I had asked for green olives. She bought green olives. With pits! We did not have a Cherry and Olive pitter at the time so... Several other things were wrong as well. So I figured I would save myself the headache and do the shopping from then on. I do tell my host right up front that they will have to reimburse me. I have never had aproblem with that. It does NOT surprise me however that it is an ex-consultant. I just recently did a show where an exconsultant was a guest and I had a terrible time with them. It's amazing what know-it-alls we become when we quit!
Anyway I digress.
I explain at every show all about the new host program and that the $15 for hospitality is the money they earn back for buying the groceries. But since I do the shopping, "because I know they simply do not have the time to do this", that I will ask for $15 cash or check after their show for the groceries. Never has been an issue. This allows me to do several things: 1) I never let my hosts pick the recipe. I simply pick a recipe then tell them what I am planning. I usually never get a Yuck so... 2) I can control the cost. By being able to shop where I want, I can usually save myself a few bucks to. 3) I only prepare one recipe at the show. (I don't want to be there all day anyway so...) For example, The Lazy Lasagna Chili from the Soups, Stews and Chilis recipe card collection only costs about $9. I amke that at the show as the demo. Then I make a head a beer bread with garlic, parmesan and Italian Seasoning and grab a stick of butter to go with it. I still only spent just under $15. Personally, I have never had any problem asking for that money. If I so choose I can just give it to them by simply writing it in as a show expense then. I never want to "give away the store" too often as we never fully recoup any of our expenses. We only get back apercentage of what we put into our businesses. AND IT IS BUSINESS AND IT COSTS US MONEY TO RUN IT. By not asking for that money, we are dipping into our own pockets and profits. Most people know we are not in business to loose money. Your host is non-realistic and is coming from a different era of Pampered Chefing. Maybe if you re-explain the money thing and why you do not usually pay for the ingredients, she may understand. But I doubt it. My vote, pay for it but then you get to pick the recipe(s) and stay cheap!!!!

John,

I've never had a problem with ingredients but I do wonder...what if yu've purchased the ingredients and then the host cancels? You're now out the money. I've been sooooo wanting to start doing this but the cancellation part concerns me.

I've only done a few shows now but here is what I've done.

The pastry I use is hard to find, so I bring that.

I ask for the easy things to be there and ready for me, IE: cooked chicken breast x 2, broccoli, one carrot. I'll supply the garlic, mayo, mustard...things that you buy but don't need all of it for a recipe. I reckon if I've got a jar of Dijon mustard already why should the host have to buy some if she may not use it?

So I guess what I'm saying is I sort of half it. I just say "I'll be busy preparing for your show, so would you mind having a few chicken breasts cooked for me, along with a head of broccoli and a carrot? This would make things a bit less hectic for me! I'll bring the "hard to find" pastry that I need, along with the condiments and other stuff."

So far this has worked perfectly. I haven't had anyone make a fuss and I have exactly what I need and avoid any problems with wrong ingredients.

Fundraisers....I plan to bring all ingredients myself as this will be my "contribution" to the show.

I guess it's your own personal preference...however I know my upline prefers that the host buys everything.

kcjodih said:
John,

I've never had a problem with ingredients but I do wonder...what if yu've purchased the ingredients and then the host cancels? You're now out the money. I've been sooooo wanting to start doing this but the cancellation part concerns me.

I buy the stuff on the day. I'm hoping that this will work out and that if someone was going to cancel they would do it at least a day in advance, not a few hours before!

I am fairly new to PC, just finished my SSM3. For October I ran a special that I would supply the food if they booked a party. I had one host who was scheduled for the 15th. I bought the food on the 14th and later that night I saw her at the bowling alley, she would not even look at me, I finially caught up with her, and she had to cancel because she had no guests. I said no problem, because if there are no guests then I don't make any money. She rescheduled for the 29th of October, I saw her again right after I bought the food for the second time and she had to cancel because her boyfriends mom was in the hospital. So now her party is Saturday and I told her she had to supply the ingrediants to the pot stickers, and I would supply dessert because that was my october special not december, and honestly why I should supply the food for a possible cacelation again.
For Friends and family I always supply something usually the dessert. I always have a dessert but I make it before hand or do a microwave cake or something simple.
Recently I had a book party from a past consultant, and she was a pain then if she would of have had a kitchen show I think I would of gone absoulutely nuts. I know that everything I did would have been wrong.

Amanda

I buy the ingredients for the recipes and make them up to the point of the last few steps. I do two recipes for a large show; one for a small show.

I don't ask for reimbursement for the ingredients as hosts provide paper goods, drinks and other snacks. I see this as part of my business expenses.

Perhaps PC should change its policy, then, and give us a $15 crdeit instead of the host. I would feel uncomfortable asking a host for money for ingredients I purchased.

Sometimes its how YOU run your businessEvery one is different and every host is different. My first shows were for family and friends, so they were happy to help me out by buying the food.
My first bride show - i bought as a gift to her and still gave here the $15 bonus products.

Recently with host that I don't know - i feel them out Most of them have heard of PC and know that hosts buy the food. I bring a dip or snack.
OCCASSIONALLY I purchase all the ingred for the show.
But sooner or later - you out there that are buying for EVERY SHOW. You are not going to make any money that way and when the expenses add up and tax season comes and you calulate mileage, expenses, etc. You will see that you can;t buy everyone's demo food.

If this is your major expense and you can increase your sales and bookings by doing so then I say go for it and if it means losing a show and possibly a host for "life" then by all means spend the $15 or so.

You have to weigh and measure your success. I have had several host that simply cant afford to buy the food - but they wanted to help me in my business so I helped them have a show.

Just some thoughts :rolleyes:

I have never had anyone complain about buying the ingredients...except my mother and I bought hers. But, what I told her was, "If you were having a home interior party you would go out and buy chips and cookies, etc. and spend a ton of money and time preparing food for your party. This way you purchase the ingredients and I spend the time preparing the recipe." My incentive for my hosts this fall was that I would buy the ingredients and they would provide paper goods and any extra food they wanted. Yes the host gets $15 in free product, but when you think about it, they spend way more than that. They buy paper products and ingredients, but they can't buy 2 carrots or 2 tsp. butter, etc...they have to purchase the whole package of carrots and in the end they have food they don't need, but still had to pay for. So, I have been considering buying the food. But when I have purchased the ingredients in the past I do it the night before if it is a Saturday show and during the week, the day of the show on my lunch hour. If you have a $500 show, what is a $15 or $20 expense compared to your commission. It makes a good tax deduction and happy hosts.

Some consultants are mailing invitations, I don't do that. I would rather purchase the food. Any left over ingredients I can use in my home or at the maybe at the next show.

I know about the ex-consultantsI know what you are talking about when you say ex-consultants are hard to deal with. I have had to deal with a few since I have started....and they are ugly toward you and know-it-alls. I was doing a kitchen show in August and the host advised me before hand that the co-host's aunt was going to be there and she used to sell PC. Well, I didn't think much about it other than great she can help out with the demo and give me some tips and other ideas for some of the products. So I would pick up a product, explain the item, demo it maybe, ask if anyone in the room had it, and if so did they use it for anything different than what I am. She would always say "I have it!....It tore up or it broke or don't like it or something to that effect." She even was irrating other guest in the room and some of them left early and explained later that they had to leave because of her and if they stayed they would have had to slap her or put her in her place and they knew that I would not have wanted that. On the door drawing slips she checked "yes" that she wanted to sign up and also host a show. When I did the 1 on 1 with her she replied "Why would I want to do a thing like that, I am not stupid, and besides that I don't have time!" Boy was I feeling belittled!! :confused: And she even bitched because the s&h had went up since she had quit.
The other consultant I had to deal with was in October. I meet her at a festival I had done at the end of September. She filled out a door prize slip and stated directly that she wanted to have a show. I done my host coaching calls and even more than normal thinking that she is going to have an awesome show with as many people as she was inviting and talking about. When I got 30 miles up the road to do her show at her house the only people that was there was her and her mom and her mom lived with her????? I played it off and was really cool with it. I went ahead and fixed the Turtle Fudge Skillet cake, because mom wanted to see what it was like. I did my demo as usual. She told me she was two outside orders and was going to chuch the next day to get a bunch more. When I started to leave she tried puching the cake out the door with me telling me she couldn't eat it because she was a diabetic. How was I supposed to know? I finally kept calling with her just totally ignoring me and when she would finally answer she would give me some lame excuse. It was way past time to wrap up her show at the end of Oct. and she told me she was sending a MO through the mail to me for all of the show total. No problem (I thought) I went ahead a submitted the order wanting this show to count for my Oct. sales. As days go by I am calling her up to 10 times a day trying to get in touch with her about where her MO is. Again, she give me some lame excused. And I am sweating bullets for submitting her show without actually having the money in hand or in the bank. I even went up to her house twice (30 miles each way) to try to collect the money. Finally on Nov. 10 or so I finally received to MO after the ex-consultant received the order. I did tell her that I learned an important lesson with this show....no matter who the person is do NOT submit the show until you have the money!!!! She told me she was wanting to do another show in Jan., but are you kidding! I am not the stupid to do Round 2! I am now trying to steer clear of ex-consultants!

Angela Roark
Future Director
Corning, AR

P.S.--So this is so long, but I feel a little better now and can do a better show tonight (I hope!) lol :p

Here's what I doWhen I am talking about hosting during my demo, I just say that it's easy and all they have to do is provide the ingredients for one recipe and open their home and I will do the rest. This is also in the letter I put in my hostess packets. So far no complaints. I started out buying the ingredients and was about to go broke doing it. I would rather spend the money on fun stuff like door prizes. I agree that any other party they hosted, they would provide food so what's so different about Pampered Chef.

I agree I like to be generous with my host gifts and incentives versus buying the groceries. Although if I need bookings I will give "FREE" shows or offer additinal discounts. If I could afford it I would buy the groceries to make my life easier but at this time that's just not an option. That's just one of the things I love about TPC, we can all pick and choose how we want to run our businesses and we can all be successful. I am really enjoying all the tips and advice shared on this site. Let's keep 'em coming. :D

I do supply the groceries for all of my shows. 9 times out of 10, it's stuff that I have in my fridge/pantry anyway.
I like doing this for several reasons
1. I can do a lot of the prep work before the show - this cuts down on time. Not only do I not have to show up at the host's house way early, but it also cuts down on the demo time as well. You don't have to chop 2 whole onions to show how well the food chopper works, KWIM?
2. I am sure that I have the correct ingredients - before I started providing the ingredients, there would always be something wrong/missing when I would get there, despite my detailed instructions - both written and verbal.
I rarely spend more than $10-15 per show and I end up saving at least an hour, maybe more at the actual show. Guests don't get restless and I'm not at the host's house forever. For me, the hour or two of my time (that I save) is well worth the $10.
Since I have started doing this the average time at a show has decreased to about 2 to 2.5 hours, the demo time is about 45 minutes and my show average has increased to almost $800/show. :D
It's all about what works for you.

Here is the answer to a question I gotSomeone asked me what happens when a show cancels to the food I puchased. Very simple! It becomes dinner or dessert at home. Although I have to admit I got pretty tired of the Mediterainian Hummus Squares!
I really liked having the Crisp Chocolate Mousse Cups though!

I also found the major flaw in past consultants and why they are so STINKY to deal with!!!! It is because they are PAST consultants! Think about it! They must have had a terrible business. If they had been great at it they still would be consultants! So they have a sour taste because they couldn't do it and you seem to be doing it well! And of course they will take that out on everyone else who will listen. Because that is exactly what this man, (oops! I almost called him a gentleman), did at the show. He bad mouthed the products, griped about the S&H and the cost of things that had gone up. (I am sorry if you have a problem with a 25 cents difference in the Quikut, DON'T buy it then CREEP!) (Interesting though, he and his wife spent $210)
Plus if I keep thinking that, and I can only hope, the SAME couple won't show up at the party they were also invited too this coming Saturday! I have my fingers, eyes, and everything else I can cross, crossed! I may have to deck some one otherwise and it won't be the host!
Does our insurance cover that?

Last edited:
John,

I'm pretty sure our insurance doesn't cover that but I personally would be happy to start up a collection for you if you DO deck him LOL I'm sure others here that have had to deal with past consultants as guests would be happy to contribute as well :D

I had a past consultant host a show for me the end of October and she was awesome. It ended up being a $800 show. She had 17 people at her show. She closed it within 4 days and got me all the money when I needed it. I also got 5 bookings from her show. She is the only past consultant I have ever done a show for though so I guess I'm 1 for 1 right now. :)
As far as hosts providing the ingredients I have never had anyone even remotely have a problem with it. Normally they even go above and beyond as far as providing food and drinks for people. I always tell them they don't need to make anything else, but most do. I suppose I have been blessed in having great hosts since I started in February.

Kristen,
I'm not sure whether you've decided to pay for the recipe's ingredients or not, and I don't have a defined opinion on what you should do, as I haven't dealt with this person. But if she wants a dessert at the show, and you decide to pay for the ingredients, then by all means, pick the recipe yourself, or give her a choice of a few recipes that you've picked out. The Banana Toffee Pizza and the Streusal Berry Tart (both SB Spring 05) sound like they could be made for $10 or less (each). The Ice Cream Sandwich Torte is pretty cheap as well (hence the reason I chose it for my own kitchen show before I signed). Or you could do the Chocolate Banana Phyllo Bundles (SB fall 05).

I'm not sure what I would do in your situation, as I've never come across something like this (my current host was begging me to do 3 recipes!.. needless to say I changed her mind, thank goodness!) I don't know her attitude or whatnot, but if it's not too bad, maybe you could tell her that you will waive the cost of the ingredients for her show once she reaches a certian amt in sales.. such as $400+. (you'd get $80 base commission on that amt, so $10 for food might not sting so bad.. but on the other hand if she only had a $150 show, you'd only make $30 commission, so $10-15 would mean half of your profit..)

Well, that's just my 2 cents.. Hope you figured things out! (Good luck if you haven't yet.. :) )

God bless!

I forgot to to ask one important questionIs this the first time you have had her as a host?
If so, you can simply explain that every consultant does things differently as she certainly already knows.
YOUR WAY of doing the food is for the host to do the shopping for the ingredients. Then tell her you will purchase the ingredients THIS ONE TIME ONLY for her. Make it clear that it is NOT your normal routine to do this and if she wants to host another show, you will not be buying the ingredients without being reimbursed for them. You simply can not afford to do that.

To be honest, if she bulks at that, I don't think I would bother consutlting another show for her. You should be allowed to run YOUR business YOUR way without major interfernece from your hosts. After all, you do have the right to say NO! Especially if it costs you money. And even if it costs you a host sometimes. Keeping a host like that may and can only add trouble. If you having problems with her now, what is going to happen before, during and after the show?
She's already copping an attitude. Sounds like a problem waiting to happen all the way around.

Thanks, everyone, for your insights and advice! This host still hasn't called me back (I had a show last night so I wasn't able to call her), so I am not sure yet what the deal is. As much as she doesn't want to talk to me while she's at work, she's not leaving me much choice.

I don't mind offering to buy ingredients for a first or second recipe, but I want it to be on MY terms, not the host's. For example, I have made second recipes for free for a couple of hosts who had invited 40+ people. But for someone to expect it of me is completely different (especially when she knows better).

I really don't want to lose this show because I'm excited to earn our December incentive. But...I also don't need the headache of trying to please someone who can't or won't be pleased. Sigh...

I'll keep you all posted!

Okay, I just got off the phone with her and it went very well! She was very nice and just said she'd been caught off-guard and that she had always bought the ingredients for her show. I suggested that maybe that's how her recruiter/director had done it and had just told her that's how it was done.

Anyway, she's expecting 10-12 people and I think there a couple people who have $300 lists. :D So this might turn out to be a great show after all!!

GreatGlad to here it worked out OK. Still, grab some Execdrine stock. You may still need it dealing with an ex.
Now too you can relax and just let it happen. No more fretting over it. It is nice when that happens isn't it?

Last edited:
OK - I had to post - I am an ex-consultant that recently signed back up. I quit selling PC 6 years ago because I had a family, exchange students and decided to finish my degree. I met my present director at a craft fair at work and had her do a show for me. I did everything I was supposed to do as a host, bought the food, did follow up calls and had outside orders. My show was over $700 and after she was done - I realized that I missed selling PC. I missed the products, the cooking and the customers. She tried to get me to sign up at my show, but I didn't. About 2 weeks later, I called her and I am back in the game. I have just finished my SS3 month and had almost $4500 in sales in November alone. I got all 3 of the SS bonuses and 3 of the additional ones. I have 10 shows booked for January and I am having loads of fun. Not all ex-consultants are bad customers.

Boomer Sooner,

Shannon Overstreet

Shannon, I hope you didn't take offense to anything I said in my posts. The only reason I mentioned she was an ex-consultant is that I was surprised that she had such an issue with the host buying the ingredients. I figured an ex-consultant would know that was standard practice. Sorry if I offended you in any way!

I wasn't offended at all. I just didn't want the new consultants to get the impression that ALL past consultants were as described in this thread.

Boomer Sooner
Shannon Overstreet

May have already resolved - but here is what I doSince I started selling PC - almost 3 years ago - I have purchased all of the ingredients myself. I just find it easier. I do not do many shows on weeknights, and prefer weekends. On weeknight shows it is just so much easier for me to be able to get the prep work done (I try to chop, slice, grate, etc. as much as possible and leave only minimal work for the demo). It just works better for me this way since weeknight shows are usually late nights anyway - I want to be as quick and efficient as possible and still have products to demo. And the cost of the ingredients is a tax deduction.

Since PC started the $15 hospitality bonus, I have been requesting that the host reimburse me $15 for the food (no matter what I spent). I have not had any problems with this. Most of the time, I spend more that $15 so I can still claim some expense.

I hope your show went well.

So......We did the wind up and the worrying about it......

I'm DYING to know......

How did the show go??

:)

The show went great! Sales are currently at about $720, and we're going to try to close tomorrow. There may be one other order coming in, plus the host's order. So definitely worth it! :D

Wow, awesome Kristen! Odd how sometimes the shows you're not sure about are the ones that turn out quite well. I just had a catalog show that started out as "I might be able to get $100 in sales for you..I'll try my best" and ended up at over $500! Again, congrats!

Kristen said:
I have a show this weekend and just called the host to give her the ingredient list for her show (she's an ex-consultant, by the way). Anyway, she's at work and said she'd call me later to talk about that. She isn't happy that she has to be the one to buy the ingredients and said that it was not like that when she was a consultant. It's almost sounding like she is ready to cancel if she has to buy them!

Any thoughts or suggestions on how to handle this? I did tell her that she gets the $15 back in product value that she does not get if she has a catalog show. Should I offer to buy the ingredients? I don't want to lose this show, but I also don't want to be taken advantage of.

Oh, and she also told me previously that she wants a dessert pizza...so I can't even pick a cheap recipe if I DO decide to buy her stuff.

Help!

Kristin the peanutty pizza isn't too much (brownie mixes are on sale) ~ or make cookie kisses? I'd buy them and just forget about it. You'll be totally repaid if you have a good show and if you get a booking, how happy will you be?

:)

Just read the thread ~ I'm happy you had a great show!

Last edited:
I purchase the ingredients and ask the host for $5Regardless of what I spend, I only ask the host for $5 back toward the ingredient cost. It saves her the trouble of shopping, I know what I've got is fresh (usually bought day of show) and right (I got tired of having hosts hand me biscuits instead of crescent rolls!).

This has been working great for me and is a hook for guests to host with me rather than another consultant. Once she gives me her $5, I usually end up having spent only up to about $5 myself. Beside which, I know the host will always put other food out for her guests and while that might be an expense that she chooses, I feel it's a good business move for me to help her with the cost of the demo ingredients. Of course, keep the receipts as a business expense.

Me too ShannonI know not every exconsultant is like that. Someone said they worked with a past consultant and that it was awsome. I just wish my experience had been that good. I have dealt with two exs thus far and both times I just want to strangle them!
Both were guests thank goodness so...
All worked out eventually though.

Just had to put in my 2 cents.I don't and probably won't buy the ingredients for my host. I have done over 300 kitchen shows and have not had one host complain about buying the ingredients for their show.

I explain when they book the show that they have to do 2 things...buy the food for the recipe...and get their guest list to me 15 days prior to their show. I also tell them that they get $15 in free products to reimburse them for the cost. I only make one recipe at my shows and let the host know that she can prepare as much additional food as she wishes.

Occasionally, I will offer the express shows when I need to fill a date in 2 weeks or less. I then buy the food. I also travel a lot to small towns to do shows and sometimes I will have to buy certain items the host cannot find or the items cost too much in their town. For example, I can buy a block of Parmesan cheese for $2.14 but in one town I travel to it is $8.99!!! So I always buy the cheese when I go to this town!

Just my 2 cents!

Late CommentsI know I'm a little late on comments, but I haven't had much time to read posts this month. Christmas time is crazy!

I prefer to purchase the food for the host, but I play it up like I'm doing them a favor. I say excitedly, "I can purhase the food for you if you would like." I explain to them I keep track of prices for recipes I'm offering to make for the month and purchase at the least expensive stores. This way they know it will save them time and money. I also explain that The Pampered Chef gives them $15 toward a food credit just for having their show, and I explain to them I usually spend less then this. I also tell them if it's more I will only charge them the $15. They really think they are getting a great deal this way :) Psychology is a great thing!

I like to purchase the food for the same reason many others have stated. I like to do the prep ahead of time. I feel like it is much more relaxing when I arrive at their home. I also have many of the ingredients already at home (like garlic). I also always watch for sales on cheese. My local store often has blocks of cheese for $1 on sale. I buy about 20 packages at a time. It lasts so long!

I have only had one host who wanted to purchase her own food, and she was an x-consultant. I was actually glad she purchased the food because we made two recipes for a Survivor show and the teams did the cooking anyway, and I don't think I could have purchased the food for $15.

For some reason it just seems to always work out for me.

Best of luck to everyone!

Rhonda B.

I think from now on I'm going to buy the ingredients for my shows and have the hosts reimburse me. I really felt the stress during my last show when I did the Roasted Red Pepper & Artichoke Dip to top the savory crostini. I spent like 20 minutes at the host's house before the show doing half the prep work so that the demo wouldn't take forever, and it still took forever and I forgot to do some of the things and did them in the wrong order. I got so flustered! Of course it probably didn't help that it was my first large KS, and the host wanted 2 recipes (which was ok at the time b/c I was gonna have one done completely before the show).. And half the stress might have been the fact that my host didn't get home from her out-of-town biz trip until the night before the show and I hadn't been able to reach her til then to figure out whether I was getting the ingredients or she was... so there I was, running all over town trying to find ingredients for this dip that I was going to make, dragging a sick 1 year old.. with a deli girl that didn't know how much 8 ounces was.. and a Wal-Mart that had everyone and their brother shopping for the holidays....
So, I think I'm going to do the shopping from now on so I can do a bunch of prep work at the house before I leave and that way I won't have to mess with it when I get there ;) Whew.. Thanks for letting me rant.. boy I feel better after getting that off my chest!!

On a side note, is there any recipes (besides that blasted Cool Ranch Pizza) that you suggest for beginners? Or tips on doing show demos? Thanks :)

RecipesAmanda,

I really like doing the Elegant Artichoke cups. You do need the mini-muffin pan, but most of the other products are SS products. They are really easy and so yummy. My family always requests them for get to gethers.

Also, the Calzones from the F/W 2004 Celebration shows are easy and crowd pleasers.

I think the last recipe in each section of the Season's Best are SS recipes and are easy.

I also like doing rings and the Florentine Garden ring is a host favorite.

Hope this is helpful.

I just did the family baked burrito at a show last week, and we used left over steak. It was great, and easy and everyone loved it. :D
Amanda Fairall

I always do my own shopping. I also tell my hosts that if they have 15 guests the night of the show that the ingredients are free! Otherwise, I just have them reimburse me 15.00. It works out great!

showmehow2 said:
I agree with PamperedPrincess74. I have a hard time asking to be reimbursed so I just use it as my "thing". I offer one recipe and then bring a microwave cake as backup in case there are lots of people. The food is tax deductible and I steer my hosts to lower priced recipes. Plus, when I bring the ingredients, it's only on my shoulders if I forget something and everything is washed, prepped & ready to go. I find it's much easier to do some of the prep at home and finish up at the show. I still take a long time! This is another example of the different ways we all run our own businesses. What works for me may not work for someone else. All in all, whatever everyone feels comfortable with is what they should do.

I always tell hosts to supply cups, plates, snacks, water/soda, and a dessert (unless it is a small group then I will). I bring an entree, salad, and fun drink for the quik stir pitcher. That way hosts don't feel as though they are bearing the brunt of the show:) .

Make a deal with the host.Personally, i have never had a host refuse to buy the ingredients. But, if a host had difficulty with the cost, I would make a deal about who pays depending on show product sales total. If her show goes over $500, offer to split the cost 50-50. If sales are over $700, pay it all. And if sales are under $500, she pays. But, Pampered Chef is giving the host $15 in free products for hosting, a really good deal, I think.

What I have found is, that if you do something for one host, you are going to have other hosts want you to do the same. Now, you could offer a "free" show (where you pick the recipe and pay for the ingredients) for a doorprize or contest. But I wouldn't want to pay for the food for all my shows. With having done over 200 shows, that would really eat into my commission.

Jodi

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• texasteacher
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
texasteacher
  • TheFreddiesCook
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
gailz2