• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Needed: Cooking Beef Brisket for In-Laws Like Raymond's Mom

In summary, if you don't have a smoker you can cook it slow on the grill or in the oven. If you have a smoker, you can cook it in the smoker or on the grill. Either way, you'll need a large foil disposable turkey roaster.
Leigh0725
Okay - So I am needing some help! I am having my in-laws over for dinner tomorrow and to give you an idea of her personality she is like the mom on the show "Everybody loves Raymond." It take A LOT to please her in regards to cooking. My DH wants me to cook the beef brisket we have (we ordered a 1/4 of a cow earlier this spring). I have NO clue what to do with this. I have a slow cooker, the DCB, the rectangular baker, but no roasting pan. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Can I just put in the slow cooker with BBQ sauce? :yuck: Please help!

Allrecipes.com Beef BrisketHere is a recipe I found on AllRecipes.com. Sounds good and if your brisket will fit in the DCB it should work just fine.

Oven Barbecued Beef Brisket I
Submitted by: Janet Wellman
Rated: 5 out of 5 by 83 members Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 Hours Ready In: 5 Hours 10 Minutes
Yields: 9 servings

"Brisket is cooked in a covered pan without water for 4 to 5 hours. It is then sliced, and returned to the pan with barbecue sauce for another hour."
INGREDIENTS:
4 pounds beef brisket
salt to taste
1 teaspoon freshly ground
black pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 cup barbecue sauce
1 cup water

DIRECTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees).
2. Sprinkle both sides of brisket with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place in a large covered roasting pan.
3. Cook covered with no water at 325 degrees F (160 degrees C) allowing 1 hour per pound.
4. Before last hour of cooking, remove brisket and slice. Return slices to pan and add barbecue sauce mixed with water. Cover meat with sauce, cover, and cook 1 hour longer.

Enjoy!

Leigh0725 said:
Okay - So I am needing some help! I am having my in-laws over for dinner tomorrow and to give you an idea of her personality she is like the mom on the show "Everybody loves Raymond." It take A LOT to please her in regards to cooking. My DH wants me to cook the beef brisket we have (we ordered a 1/4 of a cow earlier this spring). I have NO clue what to do with this. I have a slow cooker, the DCB, the rectangular baker, but no roasting pan. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Can I just put in the slow cooker with BBQ sauce? :yuck: Please help!
I sympathise! My father-in-law is the picky food guy - he's Italian and cooks wonderfully so I am always stressed when he comes to visit! If my hubby wanted something I had no idea how to cook, I'd tell him had to cook it! I know this is probably too late, but I say go with what you feel comfortable cooking!

first trim all the fat!!

if you don't have a smoker you can cook it slow on the grill
or in the oven skip the crockpot it won't get done in time.

I'd run & buy an large foil disposable turkey roaster (Trust me its nasty to clean up) I cooked one yesterday and made DH clean the roaster

Rub a BBq rub on it or make your own seasoning. "massage it into the meat"

Yesterday I mixed a bottle of beer with 1/4 cup molasses, some liquid smoke & worcestershire sauce
I poured it in the pan and put my brisket in and covered it with 2 onions sliced thin. cooked it at 300 for about 8 hours you want to cook it slow or it will be tough.

We never cook ours in bbq sauce because we all have a different favorite sauce. my husband dumps a 2 ltr of dr pepper or coke onm it when he cooks it if we aren't smoking it. the beer or soda helps tenderize it and it will melt in your mouth

when you slice it cut it perpendicular to the grain.

Thanks! I will run these suggestions by my DH and see what he thinks. :)

I was desperate for something to throw in the crock-pot a couple of weeks ago and also had briskets from a side a beef that I could never cook properly. I threw one in the crock-pot with 12 oz of ketchup, I can of beer, and 1 envelope of onion soup mix. Slow cooked it all day and came home to a wonderful meal! Nuked some potatoes in the rice cooker and mashed them using the mix and masher stirring in some butter, sour cream, shredded cheese and hormel real bacon pieces. Delish!

I've had crock pot brisket like this before (with the ketchup, beer, and onion soup mix) - it was amazingly good!

I think there is a recipe for beef brisket in our stoneware cookbook. It is one of those recipes where you make the brisket and then make like 3 different meals with it.

I've got a recipe in one of those community cookbooks, where a group of people submit their favorite recipes (so they're all good, but most are missing things like measurements). It's super easy, but delicious: Liberally sprinkle both sides of brisket with lemon pepper and meat tenderizer. Place brisket in center of large double-layer piece of aluminum foil. Sprinkle liberally with soy sauce. Wrap brisket with foil, making sure to crimp edges. Bake at 250 for several hours (Sorry, I'm at work and don't have the book in front of me - but if I remember, it was one of those all-day recipes, like you're supposed to leave it in the oven for 6 hours.). It will completely fall apart when you open it up.

Fab Dinner - got approval!!!Here is what I ended up doing:

took a disposable roasting pan and had a long strip of foil going horizontally and one going vertically over the pan.

Place the brisket on top of the foil (with the intention of wrapping the brisket in the foil)

rubbed the brisket with liquid smoke and worechestir (sp?) sauce

sprinkled with salt and peper

poured about 1/2 cup of water on the side of the brisket

sliced an onion and placed on top of the brisket and the smothered with KC Masterpiece BBQ sauce. Wrapped the brisket and cooked in 275 degree oven for about 6 hours. Then my DH trimmed the fat and cooked for another 2 hours. Note, we had a good size brisket (fed 4 adults with plenty leftovers), so timing wise, not sure how to adjust. I think it's an hour per pound.

It was REALLY yummy and juciy! My MIL even said it was good and asked to take some of the left overs home for her lunch today! YEAH!! That, my friend, is a HUGE breakthrough. Needless to say DH was very happy and said he will cook this week....i was a nervous wreck all through Monday in fear that the dinner would be a flop. Happy Day! :D

1. How long should I cook the beef brisket for?

The cooking time for beef brisket will vary depending on the size of the cut and the cooking method. It is recommended to cook at a low temperature (around 250-300°F) for 1 hour per pound of brisket. This means a 4-pound brisket would take approximately 4 hours to cook. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature reaches at least 185°F for a tender brisket.

2. What is the best way to season a beef brisket?

The key to a delicious beef brisket is to season it well. You can use a dry rub or a marinade to add flavor to the brisket. Some popular seasonings for beef brisket include salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika. You can also add some liquid smoke for a smoky flavor. Make sure to rub the seasoning all over the brisket and let it sit for at least 1 hour before cooking.

3. Should I cook the beef brisket with the fat side up or down?

When cooking a beef brisket, it is recommended to cook it with the fat side up. This allows the fat to melt and baste the meat as it cooks, keeping it moist and flavorful. You can always trim off excess fat before serving if desired.

4. Can I cook a beef brisket in the oven or on the grill?

Yes, you can cook a beef brisket in both the oven and on the grill. For the oven, preheat to 250-300°F and place the brisket in a roasting pan. Cover with foil and cook for the recommended time. For the grill, use indirect heat and a drip pan to catch any fat drippings. Cook for the recommended time, making sure to check the internal temperature with a meat thermometer.

5. How do I know when the beef brisket is done cooking?

The best way to tell if a beef brisket is done cooking is by using a meat thermometer. Insert it into the thickest part of the brisket and make sure it reaches at least 185°F. You can also check for tenderness by inserting a fork into the meat. If it easily slides in and out, the brisket is done. Let it rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing and serving.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Admin Greg
Replies
Views
its_me_susan
  • Jennie4PC
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci