• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help! Grating Cheese at a Party - Solutions Wanted

In summary, there are various methods for grating soft cheese at a party. Some suggest zapping it in the microwave for a few seconds to bring out the oils, while others recommend freezing it first. There has been some discussion on which method works best, with some saying that the microwave is more effective. Others suggest using already shredded cheese or cutting a block of mozzarella in half before grating. Ultimately, it comes down to personal preference and experimenting to find the best method for each type of cheese.
Langrco
Gold Member
I have not found a good way to grate this at a party, it clumps on me, any advise would be great

zap it in the microwave for a few minutes to bring the oils to the top

I thought the reason was because it was to soft, I was thinking of the freezer to make it firmer, glad I asked first.

I put mine in the freezer. Haven't tried the micro. For shows I ask the host to buy shredded.

I put mine in the freezer as well.

There has been some discussion on here recently that you should microwave for use with the cheese grater, but freeze for the Ultimate Mandolin. And, obviously, you would microwave for a few seconds, not minutes... ;)

I freeze for using the cheese grater.

RaggedyAunt said:
And, obviously, you would microwave for a few seconds, not minutes... ;)

Hhmmm, I'll have to give that a try;) :p

Get the cd from the suppy order "Cooking Show live with Julie Cicero", she gives a great show, great tips and is a top seller. I listen to it over and over in my car.She also advises to put the softer cheese in the microwave to bring the oils to the top and it grates much easier.

sorry, I meant SECONDS was distracted I apologize!!!

When I first started 9 years ago we were told to put the cheese in the freezer...and the drum too, if we wanted. Within the last two years, the "zap in microwave" tip came out. Microwave works MUCH better. I've also heard "the softer the cheese, the softer the squeeze...the harder the cheese, the harder the squeeze". My first few shows I was so nervous I squeezed that thing so hard it's surprising it didn't break!! All the cheese clumped up inside and I had to dig it out with a knife :eek: VERY embarrassing!

weekly bites mentioned buying string Mozzarella cheese and cutting it in half and then putting it in the cheese grater. I went looking for it online and got side tracked.

Teresa Lynn said:
sorry, I meant SECONDS was distracted I apologize!!!
I assumed so, Teresa, but you know how some people take things literally. Didn't mean to upset you. I said it in a lighthearted way.

I wasn't upset, I just wanted to clarify I did intend to type seconds.

My rule is: Soft cheese (moz, cheddar, etc) - micro
Hard cheeses (parm, asiago, etc) - freezer

I like the microwave to sweat the cheese, too. Although, I find for one particular brand of mozzarella (Black Diamond -- probably just a CDN brand) the freezer is the only option that works. Their mozza is just too gummy.

that was actually my thought from now on

Ok, I will try the microwave for like what 5 seconds, the problem mentioned before clumping and having to dig it out and it isn't shreaded at that point and you can't spread it on the pizza crust. But the bagged already shredded sounds really good. I haven't had a problem with the other cheeses yet. I did try the freezer at a home party and it was too hard with the mandilan

The microwave will release the oils in the soft cheese making it nonstick to the grater barrell. Sticking it in the freezer makes it too hard & could break the grater. This is why HO is not using the freezer method anymore.

Langrco said:
Ok, I will try the microwave for like what 5 seconds, the problem mentioned before clumping and having to dig it out and it isn't shreaded at that point and you can't spread it on the pizza crust. But the bagged already shredded sounds really good. I haven't had a problem with the other cheeses yet. I did try the freezer at a home party and it was too hard with the mandilan

For the time in the microwave, this depends on the size of the cheese. But I usually go 10 seconds first, then see how the oil is on the outside of the cheese!:)

Langrco said:

You can really tell the difference from the microwave. I usually do about 8 seconds. It doesn't seem like very long but any longer and your cheese starts melting.

I always heard freezer for motz but I'm too lazy I just deal with it. Maybe I'll have to try the microwave next time.

One other thing... fresh mozz isn't really intended to be shredded. Not sure if that's the problem or not.

I determine how many seconds according to the wattage of the microwave not the size of the cheese I tell guests do it for 6 seconds and check, because
it's very hard to grate queso

Related to Help! Grating Cheese at a Party - Solutions Wanted

1. How can I make grating cheese easier at a party?

One solution is to use a food processor with a grating attachment. This will save time and effort when grating large quantities of cheese.

2. What if I don't have a food processor?

If you don't have a food processor, you can use a box grater or a handheld grater. Make sure to use a sturdy surface and be cautious of your fingers.

3. Is there a way to keep the grated cheese from clumping together?

Yes, you can toss the grated cheese with a small amount of cornstarch or flour before serving. This will prevent clumping and make it easier to sprinkle onto dishes.

4. How can I make grating cheese less messy?

One solution is to grate the cheese over a large sheet of wax or parchment paper. This will make clean up easier and you can easily transfer the grated cheese to a serving dish.

5. Can I pre-grate cheese before a party?

Yes, you can pre-grate cheese before a party. Just make sure to store it in an airtight container in the fridge until you're ready to use it. It's best to grate it no more than a day in advance for optimal freshness.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• fifiplc
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
wcsis
  • Patti
  • Pampered Chef Shows
Replies
Views
Patti
  • pampchefsarah