• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Rant You All Convinced Me to Give It a Try, but I'll Never Buy It Again!

the bag).There has been discussion on this board about brick cheese v packaged shredded for recipes. I have told my guests and hosts for years not to purchase pre-shredded cheese, as it contains wax for the anti-caking. :yuck: So many of you insisted, however, that cellulose is fine because it's a plant extract, and natural, etc., that for our family dinner tonight I decided to give it a try (particularly since the drum for my Rotary Grater is broken, and I am not a fan of either the Microplane Grater or the Mandolin). I even bought a well-respected brand name, even though it meant paying slightly more, since it is 'all-natural
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
There has been discussion on this board about brick cheese v packaged shredded for recipes. I have told my guests and hosts for years not to purchase pre-shredded cheese, as it contains wax for the anti-caking. :yuck: So many of you insisted, however, that cellulose is fine because it's a plant extract, and natural, etc., that for our family dinner tonight I decided to give it a try (particularly since the drum for my Rotary Grater is broken, and I am not a fan of either the Microplane Grater or the Mandolin). I even bought a well-respected brand name, even though it meant paying slightly more, since it is 'all-natural'.

When I opened the package and started sprinkling it over the recipe, out came a clump* of moldy* cheese. Ok, not a big deal, I'll pull it out and use the rest of the bag. Out came a BIGGER and MOLDIER clump, and in examining the bag (which, by the way, has an expiration date of 10/01/10) I found that more than half of it is moldy (AND clumped). Fortunately, I had other cheese on hand, which worked in a pinch.

I was really hoping I'd be able to tell my customers that, while brick cheese is better and cheaper overall, pre-shredded cheese is fine once in awhile, but now I have a totally different story.

Ok, I vented, now off to write an e-mail to the cheese company.

*I emphasize this because besides cellulose the cheese also contains an 'natural anti-mold' ingredient.

think your argument is more with the grocery store you bought it from. I use preshredded cheese all the time. Have never found it to be moldy - however since preshredded cheese tends to last a long time, think the package you bought was on the shelf for quite a while. (despite the exp date).

and I don't buy the expensive cheese. I buy what is on sale - store or name brand. sorry it didn't work out for you.

UGGHHH....gross! But what a personal story to share with guests. Sorry it happened chica!

I had this happen to me too!! And the company (Starts with an "S", ends with an "O") sent me a letter and several great coupons.And yes, I avoid if at all possible the shredded- especially after that! Fortunately, I had purchased 2 bags at the time, so I had a backup.

Sargento is a more 'all natural' company I've found, as I use pre-shredded cheese ALL the time, and have NEVER had a problem. Since Sargento tends to have less perservatives, I noticed it does mold faster, just like good brick cheeses. Now, of course it should not be molded BEFORE you purchase it, but it's like buying bad milk, sometimes it happens, and more often than not, it's the grocery store or shipping company not taking care of the goods.

For the most part, I ONLY use shredded cheese, faster for me, and less mess and clean up. I buy what's cheapest and on sale, which is usually not Sargento, but buy what's available. But to each their own! Whatever works for you!

I prefer brick cheese as well, however I do still buy a lot of shredded cheese for quick recipes. I've only had that happen to me once in probably 13 years of buying preshredded cheese.

My family's split. I like brick, sweetie likes shredded. I've had some icky bricks, too, but you can cut the bad part off --once I see or smell anything icky in a bad of shreds, it goes in the trash. I use the shredded if I am in a rush.
So sorry this happened to you. I'd be ticked off, too!

I think it has more to do with shipping and handling than quality at the manufacturer. For applications where I want the cheese to melt, I prefer brick, I think it melts much better, making for a gooeyer (is that a word??) cheesy goodness. But I buy preshreds all the time, I would have saved the package and receipt and taken it back to the store for refund/replacement.

I agree shelly that when I want it gooey-er, lol, I use brick. Like I make a baked macaroni and cheese, or rigatoni thats baked, with LOTS of cheese, I use brick. Pretty much anything else, pizza, quesadillas, soup, PC recipes, etc gets preshredded

I have used both on occasion. I have found mold on blocks. I don't really use the shredded as much as blocks.

I buy shredded all the time... especially for Mexican dishes that use a 3 or 4 cheese blend. I haven't had any problems either... but just look for the expiration date that's the farthest away (which is usually hanging on the BACK of the display arm).

I use both types - shredded & block - depending on what I am making and how much time I have.

I had the same thing happen to me with moldy shredded cheese! It was on New Year's Eve, 30 people coming to my house and I am desperately trying to get the last of my dishes made. I open a bag of shredded (with a date of MARCH on it) and it was moldy! I was so ticked. I am just grateful that I caught it before the stores closed for the night - but DH had to run to the store for me to get more.

So, I am very leery about depending on shredded.

Now that I have taken time to learn my Food Processor, I mostly use blocks and use the Food Processor to shred it. It takes literally seconds! I can't believe I haven't been using it all these years.

Ditto to above on shipping and handling - some truckers turn of the refrigeration units and bring room-temp cheese to the store, where mold gets a foothold, then the store's refrig can't keep it totally at bay. Take it back to the store.

Haha, I'd forgotten I even posted this. I guess I really did just need to vent.I did save both the cheese and the receipt. I was going to write the company (which is Sargento, and it was on sale), but I'd probably just get coupons for more shredded cheese! I should just bring it back to the store. That hadn't occurred to me.I really do love our Rotary Grater, as does my son, who has been doing about 50% of the cooking over the past year, so I think the best choice is to buy the replacement and continue buying brick cheese. As has been stated, and moldy parts on there can just be sliced off (cheese doesn't last long enough in this house to get moldy, though! even the dog eats it). I do think brick is more economical, as well, and using the Rotary Grater is so easy that it doesn't take much extra time to grate it fresh.Thanks for all the replies, though. It was interesting to see the differeng view points.

What are the most common reasons why people regret buying Pampered Chef products?

Some of the main reasons why people regret purchasing Pampered Chef products are because they found them to be overpriced, did not live up to their expectations, or were not as durable as they had hoped.

Are there any specific products that customers tend to be dissatisfied with?

While everyone's experience may vary, some of the products that customers tend to be dissatisfied with include the knife sets, non-stick cookware, and certain kitchen gadgets.

What should I do if I am not satisfied with my Pampered Chef product?

If you are not satisfied with your Pampered Chef product, you can contact their customer service team for assistance. They may offer a refund or exchange, depending on the specific situation.

Why are Pampered Chef products so expensive?

Pampered Chef products may seem expensive because they are designed to be high-quality and durable, using premium materials. They also often come with a lifetime guarantee, which adds to the cost.

Is there anything I can do to make sure I don't regret my purchase from Pampered Chef?

To ensure you are satisfied with your purchase from Pampered Chef, it is recommended to do thorough research on the product, read reviews from other customers, and consider your budget and needs before making a purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• DebPC
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • Lisa/ChefBear
  • Pampered Chef Recipes
Replies
Views
smilesarepriceless
Replies