• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help/Advice With a Computer Issue

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of getting a laptop and having access to wi-fi in the speaker's home. The speaker is considering purchasing a new laptop through a discount program, but is hesitant due to the lack of wi-fi access in their home. The conversation also discusses the differences between wi-fi and wireless internet, as well as options for obtaining wi-fi through public networks or through internet providers like AT&T.
Kelly8
Okay, so I really, really want a laptop. But there are couple of issues. I really can't afford a new laptop right now (even though I'm loving the Pampered Perk discount we now get). I could afford it if I could get wi-fi at my house. Currently I pay $45-$50 for a phone so I can have the internet, but I don't even use the phone. So I looked up a laptop on our dell perks, and the payment would be roughly $20 a month if not purchased out right. That means I would be saving money on bills. But I can't get wi-fi at my house. So I have hard time justifying buying a new computer when mine works just fine and I would have to keep the same internet. I live in the country, so I was wondering if anyone had a similar situation, and if so how did you fix it?

How do you get your TV?

most cable providers offer internet and so do most satellite providers.

i know you can get it through the satelite company, but it's just as expensive, if not more.

I called my satellite provider and they wanted to come out and install yet another satellite on the roof (DH quite against this) and it was more expensive than what I'm paying now. Grrr...

My sis gets wi-fi at her home for only $10 but I can't get it. Jeez, wouldn't that be perfect

Wi-fi is different from wireless internet. Wi-fi is a local network that allows you to be anywhere in the house, using the internet connection without being physically connected to it. You can have a wi-fi network with any type of internet connection: dial-up, cable, DSL, fiber optic, etc. It's like having a cordless (not mobile) phone, only with computers.Some communities have public wi-fi networks set up to allow their residents to connect to the internet for a nominal fee. Is that what you mean when you say you can't get wi-fi?

Ann, you are right, i was assuming she meant just a fast connection to make wi-fi worth while.

My grandfather has wi-fi on dial up and it's pretty much a joke.

Ann thanks for the info. I guess I'm still confused about all this. So I can get wi-fi with my high speed internet? But I guess there again, I would have to keep my phone bill (for internet). So I wouldn't be saving anything.

If you are using AT&T, you don't have to have a home phone line. They won't tell you this unless you ask however. If you get DSL without a phone line, it is $5 more a month on the AT&T internet bill BUT you save the cost of the phone ($30-50 monthly)! We love ours. My SIL put in the wireless network here. It is not all that complicated to do and if you know anyone that does IT, they can do it very easily!

Kelly8 said:
Ann thanks for the info. I guess I'm still confused about all this. So I can get wi-fi with my high speed internet? But I guess there again, I would have to keep my phone bill (for internet). So I wouldn't be saving anything.
Yes, you can use wi-fi with high speed internet. That's how I access the internet. You do need to have an internet provider and connection.To illustrate: DH and I have a cable connection for internet. Instead of running the cord from the cable modem to a computer or a router (for multiple computers), we run it to a wi-fi base station. That allows all the computers in the house that are wi-fi capable to connect to the internet without having a cord for the data stream.It really is like a multiple-handset cordless phone. When you have a cordless, you still need a phone line coming in to the house (that's like the internet connection). And then the primary base station is hooked to the phone line (that's like the wi-fi base station). All the handsets communicate with the phone line using a signal to/from that base station (like the computers communicate with the wi-fi station).AT&T, which someone mentioned above, offers DSL and fiber optic internet service, depending on where you live. DSL availability and speed is dependent on how close your house is to the central office because signals degrade on DSL the further they have to travel. Fiber optic is relatively new, and not a lot of the country is wired for it yet.

pcchefjane said:
If you are using AT&T, you don't have to have a home phone line. They won't tell you this unless you ask however. If you get DSL without a phone line, it is $5 more a month on the AT&T internet bill BUT you save the cost of the phone ($30-50 monthly)! We love ours. My SIL put in the wireless network here. It is not all that complicated to do and if you know anyone that does IT, they can do it very easily!

With AT&T, if you sign up on-line for a local land line and then basic wireless internet, it runs about $33/month ($10/month for Internet). I find that the speed is still fast and I can use my laptop throughout the house. I haven't had any problems and think that it is very reasonable.

This is only for first time AT&T users, although I believe you can get wireless highspeed internet for $20/month if you already have had an account with them.

Monica

So with wireless I could get a laptop and be able to connect with the internet anywhere in my house? (I'm still learning all this!)

Kelly8 said:
So with wireless I could get a laptop and be able to connect with the internet anywhere in my house? (I'm still learning all this!)

Yes, as long as the laptop has wireless capability - I think all new ones do. If you have an older one you can buy a card to insert into the laptop. So long answer, short - yes.

Also, if you have a laptop with wireless capability installed you can go to the library, starbucks, Panera, etc...anywhere that offers free wi-fi and use your laptop while having coffee or whatever.

that would be cool! Thanks for the info, ladies! I will be definitely making a call to at&t tonight.

I think calling them to find out options is great, but just as a heads up, if you set it up on-line it is cheaper because you get on-line discounts. (the $10/month)

Here is the link I am refering to:
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=7681

Hope it all goes well!! Good Luck!

1. How do I troubleshoot a slow computer?

There are a few potential causes for a slow computer. First, check for any updates for your operating system and make sure all programs are up to date. You should also regularly clear your browser history, cookies, and cache. Another common cause of a slow computer is too many programs running at once, so try closing any unnecessary programs or tabs. If these steps don't improve the speed, it may be time to consider upgrading your hardware.

2. What should I do if my computer won't turn on?

First, make sure that the computer is plugged in and the power outlet is working. If it still won't turn on, try holding down the power button for 10-15 seconds to reset it. If that doesn't work, there may be an issue with the power supply or motherboard, and it may need to be taken to a professional for repair.

3. How do I protect my computer from viruses?

The best way to protect your computer from viruses is to have reliable antivirus software installed and to keep it updated regularly. Be cautious about opening emails from unknown senders or clicking on suspicious links. It's also important to regularly back up your important files and documents in case of a virus or other issue.

4. My computer is making strange noises, what could be causing this?

Strange noises coming from your computer could be a sign of a hardware issue. It's possible that a fan is malfunctioning or that there is debris inside the computer causing the noise. It's best to have a professional take a look at it to diagnose and fix the problem.

5. How do I free up space on my computer?

If your computer is running low on storage space, there are a few ways to free up some space. You can delete any unnecessary files or programs, clear your recycle bin, and run a disk cleanup to remove temporary files. You may also consider transferring files to an external hard drive or using cloud storage for larger files.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampered1224
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
pampered1224
  • Karen
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefBeckyD