• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

New Lap Top ...In Need of Techie Help !!

In summary, Janet tried different things to get DD online, but nothing worked. She then called Verizon and explained the situation. Verizon said that it was Janet's computer and that she needed to change her WEP key. Janet changed her key and tried to help DD with her laptop, but nothing worked. Janet's neighbor, a computer tech, came and solved the problem. DD had been using Janet's wireless connection without realizing it.
reba515
grrrrr...DD got a new laptop she has been waiting since Christmas now it here and I can't get her online!wireless or direct connect to the router with a wire.It says I am connected to the internet but when I go to outlook or google it says i am not !
I was on the phone with Verizon (isp) for 1 hour 30 min. last night 1 hour with Dell today and they both blame eachother!! aghhhhh

okay so my big ? is- is there possibly a stupid little thing on the lap top i need to switch ??

my laptop is fine i have my wireless connection just fine.
I entered my WEP Key into her's
changed mine so it allows other users access

what else am i missing ???

TIA !!

Might be stating the obvious, but did you turn on the wireless on her laptop?

lol yes, i thought that was it too !!
I am so frustrated !!

Did they have you recycle the router? Unplug it for a few seconds then plug it in again. Sometimes that works.

Yeah I actually did that before I called them. Usually I can figure these things out but I am just running out of things to try.
The thing is that I have a connection according to the computer, it just won't let me get to any web pages. I know it sounds confusing!
When I actually plug the comp. directly to the router it still won't work.

Sounds like an issue with the firewall settings not letting you get to the internet.

I'm guessing proxy server needs to be entered.

I had a problem kind of like this one time. I could get email but not get on the internet. I was told to go to Tools and then Internet Options and then Connection and to check "never dial a connection." Mine was trying to dial a new connection when I was getting on the internet instead of using the connection I already had. Don't know if this will help or not but thought I would suggest it.

Ann- checked that seems to be OK
Janet - not sure whats a proxy server ??:confused: like a WEP Key ?

Jennifer tried that switch too !
crap !

well our neighbor is a IT guy he's stopping by tonight, i just hate to bother him
YKWIM

I'll let ya all know what the outcome is

Thank you all though !

Last edited:
reba515 said:
Ann- checked that seems to be OK
Janet - not sure whats a proxy server ??:confused:
Jennifer tried that switch too !
crap !

well our neighbor is a IT guy he's stopping by tonight, i just hate to bother him
YKWIM

I'll let ya all know what the outcome is

Thank you all though !

Proxy server is server that forwards the requests of its client (your PC) to other servers.

Otherwise called a gateway.

If you have a wireless connection but cannot get out, you need to ask Verizon what your proxy server setting should be - IP and Port.

If you use Internet Explorer go to:
Tools
Internet Options
Connections
LAN Settings

...and see if there are settings in the proxy server box on a computer already connected to the internet in your household.

If so, enter these same settings into your laptop.

What program are you running if its vista then there are alot of little bugs that are annoying i found that getting the idiots guide to vista helped me .l monninger

so our guy came, he couldn't figure out what was going on either! he brought it home (4 houses away) and it worked fine !! I guess something to do with the passwords from verizon,so he should be able to fix up today. Geesh you would think the verizon people would have had me do this first thing !!

reba515 said:
so our guy came, he couldn't figure out what was going on either! he brought it home (4 houses away) and it worked fine !! I guess something to do with the passwords from verizon,so he should be able to fix up today. Geesh you would think the verizon people would have had me do this first thing !!

I figured it was verizon all along, but I'm still betting on the proxy server settings...

Let us know the end result. :)

Listen to Janet! She's the one who got me online and wireless!

She's my computer tech/geek hero!:love: :love: :love:

1. How do I transfer my files from my old laptop to my new one?

You can transfer your files by using an external hard drive or USB drive to copy and paste the files from your old laptop to your new one. You can also use cloud storage services such as Google Drive or Dropbox to save your files and access them on your new laptop.

2. How do I connect my new laptop to a printer?

To connect your new laptop to a printer, you will need to install the printer driver software on your laptop. You can do this by inserting the printer's installation CD or by downloading the driver from the manufacturer's website. Once the driver is installed, you can connect the printer to your laptop using a USB cable or through a wireless network.

3. How do I set up a password for my new laptop?

To set up a password for your new laptop, go to the Control Panel and click on "User Accounts." From there, you can select "Create a password" and follow the prompts to set a password for your user account. It is important to choose a strong and unique password to protect your laptop from unauthorized access.

4. How do I optimize the battery life of my new laptop?

To optimize the battery life of your new laptop, you can adjust the power settings to conserve energy. This can include dimming the screen, turning off Bluetooth and Wi-Fi when not in use, and closing unused programs. You can also invest in a laptop cooling pad to prevent overheating, which can drain the battery quickly.

5. How do I troubleshoot common software or hardware issues on my new laptop?

If you encounter any software or hardware issues on your new laptop, you can try troubleshooting by restarting your laptop, running a virus scan, or updating your software and drivers. If the issue persists, you can contact the manufacturer's customer support for further assistance or take your laptop to a professional technician.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Shawnna
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • ChefBeckyD
  • General Chat
Replies