• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Choosing Between Macbook and Dell Inspiron for Your New Laptop: A Guide

2 years ago and it still works great! I don't think I ever had to do anything to it other than change the battery.
PChefPEI
Silver Member
I am starting to look into getting a laptop. I know that Macs are great, but not sure about running PP on it. I do believe you can run Windows programs on a Mac with a special program, right?

I was looking at the Dell Inspiron Mini 12. It looks neat too.

I know that Macs are more expensive, but Dells have so many "options" you can add on, and Macs (as I understand) are ready to go. I'm not really good when it comes to all the options. All I know is I want it to be WiFi/wireless internet ready.

Any advice?

I'm just going to say MacBook but I'm a little bias! You can run bootcamp (which is already on the Mac but you have to restart to get to Windows) or buy Parralell which allows you to run both at the same time.

P3 is available for Mac's now!! Get the MacBook! :)

babywings76 said:
P3 is available for Mac's now!! Get the MacBook! :)

M-F is in Canada, they only have PP.

MACBOOK all the way!!

wadesgirl said:
M-F is in Canada, they only have PP.

Oh! What a bummer! Well, I guess we just barely got it here. Hopefully soon it'll be there too!

I'd still go with the Mac, using Parallels is a nice way to go so you don't have to reboot.

Thanks you guys! :)

And, as far as P3 is concerned...I'm not holding my breath, 'cause we still don't have wedding registries in Canada! :rolleyes:

I think P3 will be in Canada fairly soon, and hopefully the Mac version will be released there at the same time. I have no evidence to support my opinion, just a feeling, so don't quote me. ;)I LOVE my MacBook - soooo much easier to deal with than a Windoze machine.

Okay, now what should I get for features? Anything you guys suggest are must haves?? What size drive do you have?

That really depends on what you plan on doing with it, how often you back up, how many programs you plan to install (and have running at once), etc.My MacBook has 1 GB of RAM and a 120 GB hard drive. I've got about 20 GB of music and other recordings (conference recordings, etc), plus a medium-sized photo library. But I've never had a problem with things being slow, unless I'm running Parallels (to run Windows), as that uses a lot of memory. My MacBook is about a year and a half old - newer models will be better. What I don't recommend is getting a bigger laptop (physically) than you need. It may seem nice to have a big screen, but that translates to a heavier unit that's bulkier to carry around. My 13" MacBook (widescreen) replaced a 15" Toshiba laptop that weighed about twice as much.

chefann said:
That really depends on what you plan on doing with it, how often you back up, how many programs you plan to install (and have running at once), etc.

My MacBook has 1 GB of RAM and a 120 GB hard drive. I've got about 20 GB of music and other recordings (conference recordings, etc), plus a medium-sized photo library. But I've never had a problem with things being slow, unless I'm running Parallels (to run Windows), as that uses a lot of memory. My MacBook is about a year and a half old - newer models will be better.

What I don't recommend is getting a bigger laptop (physically) than you need. It may seem nice to have a big screen, but that translates to a heavier unit that's bulkier to carry around. My 13" MacBook (widescreen) replaced a 15" Toshiba laptop that weighed about twice as much.

I love my 13" macbook. I thought I would be annoyed with the screen size being so slow (I work on a 19" all day at work) but I don't have any problems with it. I'm not for sure what I got for memory and stuff but I got the one that was around $1500 before they came out with the new ones. They all are different now.

wadesgirl- go to Apple menu > About this Mac, then More Info to see the specs for your machine.

I have a dell laptop & I got the docking station along w/a flat screen & bluetooth keyboard & mouse. LOVE IT!

chefann said:
wadesgirl- go to Apple menu > About this Mac, then More Info to see the specs for your machine.

Well, it's at home right now!

Fine then! :)Mine's on my lap.

chefann said:
Fine then! :)

Mine's on my lap.

Good place for it!! hehe :p

chefann said:
Fine then! :)

Mine's on my lap.

Oh you know I'd rather be working on my Mac than this stupid PC!

I have to chime in for the dells! I got a dell laptop about 2 months ago with my PC earnings, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it! My last 2 desktops at home (other than the one my DH built himself) have been Dells. While I was in grad school, we switched the whole lab from being macs to PCs (all dells), and even my advisor ended up buying PC laptops for himself. Just my 2c!

I am so not a mac person...

If you phone dell, they have a discount for PC consultants. I've never had a Mac, but I like my Dell. I like the service too.

I doubt they have the discount in Canada... :( But, you never know!

Chef Bobby said:
If you phone dell, they have a discount for PC consultants. I've never had a Mac, but I like my Dell. I like the service too.

Seriously??? Dh is thinking that for our anniversary/Christmas I'm getting a laptop & he gets the desktop....good deal for me;)

I really like my dell. Loved my Toshiba too had it for 5 years.
For options I reccomend upgrading to the larger battery (Makes it heavier but soooo worth it for the extra time unplugged!
Also If you have bluetooth on your phone or will I reccomend getting the built in blue tooth feature. I LOVe being able to "beam" files and pictures back and forth to my phone and printer.

Does anyone have more information on if Dell really has a discount for PC consultants? I think we're going to be ordering one in the next couple weeks, so I'd love info!

Did you check on CC with the other Pampered Perks?

Chef Bobby said:

Wish I would have know this about 4 months ago

chefann said:
Did you check on CC with the other Pampered Perks?

I didn't see anything Dell specific there. I checked Office Max and they don't include computers in our choices (someone really needs to update those links!) and Office Depot has computers but no Dell brand.

I talked to home office- I'm shopping for a macbook as well- and they said they won't have PP3 compatible w/ mac until Feb. Are you saying it's already out? I'm confused....

I vote for MACBOOK! I love mine and will NEVER to back.

cookin to the top said:
I talked to home office- I'm shopping for a macbook as well- and they said they won't have PP3 compatible w/ mac until Feb. Are you saying it's already out? I'm confused....

It's out. I've been using it for over a week, and I've submitted orders with it. Go to the P3 page on CC (Managing your business > your shows > P3). On the left side of the page, there's a link to download the disc image containing the Mac installer. It's big (about 85 MB, I think), so give it a decent chunk of time for downloading.

I'm starting to think that you Canadians get the shaft a lot of the time! Dontcha?

I only deal with Dell at work, I am our head IT person, although that isn't my official title. I have not owned a MAC for years and wouldn't even think about switching now. I purchased an Acer laptop after last Chrismas, and I love it. The only thing I don't recommend is the AMD processor. They get WAY too hot and when I've been working on my laptop for a long period of time, it shuts down before it overheats.

candiejayne said:
I'm starting to think that you Canadians get the shaft a lot of the time! Dontcha?

LOL!! For some stuff, it sure does seem that way! :)

So, my SIL tells me she is ordering herself a MacBook today or next week. I will wait until she gets it and see what it's like. A guy at her work just got one a week ago and really likes it and she liked the look of it too, although she calls herself "computer illiterate".

PChefPEI said:
So, my SIL tells me she is ordering herself a MacBook today or next week. I will wait until she gets it and see what it's like. A guy at her work just got one a week ago and really likes it and she liked the look of it too, although she calls herself "computer illiterate".

It was so nice to get my new Mac Book and not have to install anything. You just start up the computer and fill out the information required and it's ready to go. Didn't take very long at all to start up.

wadesgirl said:
It was so nice to get my new Mac Book and not have to install anything. You just start up the computer and fill out the information required and it's ready to go. Didn't take very long at all to start up.

Yep, I'm definitely leaning towards a MacBook! :)

That's what all the cool kids have. :D*giggle*

chefann said:
That's what all the cool kids have. :D

*giggle*

Come on, peer pressure ROCKS! Just do it! :p

With the Mac, you also get a YEAR's worth of personal instruction for $100- on whatever your project! My sister's been going to classes for hers- and swears it's the best service she's ever gotten anywhere!

Okay, I'm sold! :D Now I just need to save a few $$$, but that won't be too difficult if I keep up with the great show schedule I've been having! :)

cookin to the top said:
With the Mac, you also get a YEAR's worth of personal instruction for $100- on whatever your project! My sister's been going to classes for hers- and swears it's the best service she's ever gotten anywhere!

That's another thing... if you have an apple store near you, you can take your computer there for training, issues, etc!

Chef Bobby said:

So can you tell us anymore about this?:angel:

1. Can I run Pampered Chef on a Macbook?

Yes, you can run Pampered Chef on a Macbook by using a special program called Boot Camp, which allows you to run Windows programs on a Mac. Alternatively, you can also use a virtualization software such as Parallels or VMWare Fusion to run Windows and the Pampered Chef program simultaneously on your Macbook.

2. Is the Dell Inspiron Mini 12 a good option for a laptop?

The Dell Inspiron Mini 12 is a good option for a laptop, especially if you are looking for a smaller, more compact device. It is also generally more affordable compared to other laptops on the market.

3. Are Macs more expensive than Dells?

Yes, Macs are generally more expensive than Dells. However, they also tend to have a longer lifespan and require less maintenance, which can save you money in the long run.

4. Do Dells have more customizable options compared to Macs?

Yes, Dells typically offer more customizable options compared to Macs. This can be beneficial if you have specific needs or preferences for your laptop. However, keep in mind that adding on these options can also increase the overall cost of the laptop.

5. Do I need to make sure my laptop is WiFi/wireless internet ready?

Yes, it is important to ensure that your laptop is WiFi/wireless internet ready if you plan on using it for online tasks. Most modern laptops, including Macbooks and Dells, come with built-in WiFi capabilities, so this should not be a concern for most users.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• missyciccolella
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
chefann
  • babywings76
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
The_Kitchen_Guy
  • raebates