• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Having Surgery - Would Appreciate Tips

In summary, the author had surgery and is scared about the mortality rate. She recommends taking pain killers, doing catalog shows, and having a friend or family member help carry products in the post-operative period.
pampchefrhondab
Hi Everyone,

I will be having gall bladder surgery the end of August. Hopefully it will the the laproscopic and I can go back to work w/in a week.

Even if it is, I will not be able to carry anything over 5 lbs. for 6 weeks:thumbdown:! I already plan to pack light and have the host help carry my products in. Does anyone who has been through this before have ideas that could help me?

I would appreciate any help:)!

No suggestions, but I'll keep you in prayer.

If you need pain killers take them. I had mine out and the next day my DH left to look for a house and I had a 1yr old and a 3 yr old biggest mistake was no pian meds. Good luck with your surgery and I hope all goes well.

I had that surgery! I would suggest to do a few more catalog shows, an open house (you don't have to haul anything!) and just remember that this will only be a short while! Posative energy! Go girl!

I totally agree take the pain killers if you need them. I had mine out a year ago. The surgery wasn't so bad i didn't get to go home that same day they gave me too many meds so my blood pressure dropped way low but all in all it wasn't bad. I couldn't eat greasy foods that what set mine off I have friend who had the surgery and her was set off by salads. My was so bad it the tummy had a hard time learning how to process food again. I did catalog shows and my hubby would load kit if i did have a live show and the hostess husband or themselfs would pack in the kit and they didn't mind at all.

Aww....I was 3 weeks post-partum when I had mine out (the old fashioned way, 6 inch scar!). Imagine breastfeeding with a huge gash in your abdomen (ouch).

I don't remember specifics, it was 18 years ago, but I know that afterwards I could eat ANYTHING!

As far as lifting, just tell your hosts what's up and ask if they can help you in with the products (if you don't have a family member that can get them in/out of the car for you at home, ask a neighbor!).

Oh, btw, this is an opportune time to take a friend or potential recruit with you.....they can help you and see what you do -- they may be your next Team member!

Good luck and prayers are with you!

Thank you so much for your advice. I so hope they don't have to do mine the old fashioned way. My recovery will be so much longer! Right now I plan to not schedule any shows until the end of Sept. My daughter can also go with me and help. She used to go to my shows when I first started, but then got busy w/high school and her own job.

I really wasn't scared about the surgery until my director sent our cluster an email about a fundraiser they are doing for a 25 year old mother who died yesterday from complications of gall bladder surgery. Now I am really scared!

The only thing that seems to set mine off is ice cream. I haven't had it for over a month now! The two times I had an attack it was ice cream.

I appreciate everyone's prayers.

I was 25 and I made it through :) so now worries and i had both of my kids.

Well I've been reading up on the mortality rate and it is less then 2%. I guess the biggest scare is a tear in the bile duct. I'm going to have to ask my Dr. about what they do if that happens. Who they have lined up to fix it!

Anyone know how to look-up your Dr. and his record on the internet w/o having to pay?

Hey, Rhonda -- Northern Indiana -- where are you having surgery? I used to work at South Bend St Joe and Elkhart, had 12 years in at LaPorte....

pampchefrhondab said:
Well I've been reading up on the mortality rate and it is less then 2%. I guess the biggest scare is a tear in the bile duct. I'm going to have to ask my Dr. about what they do if that happens. Who they have lined up to fix it!

Anyone know how to look-up your Dr. and his record on the internet w/o having to pay?

I wish I knew I have heard stories about some Dr.s here that I would like clarification on.

Not gallbladder but I just had my knee scoped out. Two weeks ago today in fact. I ended up having one show in the past 2 weeks, and had my husband come with me and do all the loading, etc.

Pare down what you take, that helps. Do you have someone who might help?? Maybe a friend or family member.

I had mine done 5 years, not the old fashioned way. I didn't have a weight restriction after 2 weeks. I went back full duty to my nursing job. Not a bad surgery, being sick with the gall bladder was a whole lot worse!!!

I had surgery 5 months after promoting to Director. My Directorship was pretty fragile at the time. What I did was take 4 weeks off of doing live shows (I had the surgery during Christmastime so this was easy), did one big FR ine week before my surgery so my sales #s would be where I needed them to be, and after the surgery, brought my Step-dad with me to shows to carry everything and use the tools I was physically unable to use. Signed a couple of new recruits during the time I was bringing him with me, too!

jwpamp said:
Hey, Rhonda -- Northern Indiana -- where are you having surgery? I used to work at South Bend St Joe and Elkhart, had 12 years in at LaPorte....

I'll be having surgery at Luterhan Hospital in Ft. Wayne w/Dr. Bryon Stephens.

Waiting until Christmas time is a good idea. I'm always slow at that time. Fall is my busy time! My gall bladder is not infected so I'm not in a rush. I have had two attacks. I just have one stone, but it is 1" big. The good news of that is it is too small to go into my bile duct, but it does have to come out.

I don't have a date yet for sure because I am thinking about getting the lap band at the same time. I have been thinking about looking into it, but didn't want to have elective surgery for it. Now I have to have surgery and the same group of Dr.'s do bariatric surgery. Right now I'm finding out all about it. The Dr. did say I could have both done at the same time. I just have to decide if this is something for me. I'm praying on it and thinking about all the advantages and disadvantages. It has a 50% success rate after 3 years. This is much higher then Weight Watchers, Slim Fast, etc.:)!

I'm also finding out if my insurance will cover it. They are looking into my exact policy and calling me back. It is under our plan, but I don't know what the criteria is I have to meet. Right now I don't have major health issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.

If anyone else has had the lap band I would love to hear your story. There are some scary storys of the lab band slipping and growing into other organs. I've read that they now stitch it in place which reduces the risk of it slipping.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

Hey Rhonda - I've never had gall bladder surgery, but I know several people that have. One word of advice from them: don't wear pantyhose!!! They said the elastic around your waist is a killer. Personally, I think pantyhose are horrible, cruel and inhumane. :)-
Anyway, I'm having surgery myself on this coming Monday on my foot. I managed to tear both of my peroneal tendons in my left foot AT CONFERENCE while I was on my way to the Exec. dinner. I was wearing these totally cute Born shoes that I got a completely fabulous deal on ($12!!!!) and I was actually standing at my hotel room door, thinking if I had everything and as I went to turn to get the door knob, my ankle completely turned over. :cry: Major pain. But I really didn't think I had done more than twisted it really bad. Well, after xrays and the MRI, I got my diagnosis. So, now I have to have surgery and here's the real bummer: I have to have a hard cast WITH crutches for 6 stinkin' weeks. :thumbdown::grumpy:
My strategy is this: #1 - I've set up about 8 catalog shows for August and pushing for September as well.
#2 - I'm having my mother-in-law go with me to carry my crates, etc. and I've also told my hosts about what's going on and that I'll be sitting the entire time
#3 - I'm going to be making some serious use of the phone while I'm down. I figure this is a prime time for me to make some GOOD phone calls and not only work on my calendar, but recruiting and the follow-up
Other than that, I figure I'll just take it one day at a time!

1. What should I do to prepare for surgery?

Before surgery, it is important to follow any specific instructions provided by your doctor or surgeon. This may include fasting for a certain amount of time, stopping certain medications, or arranging for transportation to and from the hospital. It is also important to stay hydrated and get enough rest in the days leading up to surgery.

2. How can I manage pain after surgery?

Managing pain after surgery is crucial for a successful recovery. Your doctor will likely prescribe pain medication, but there are also non-medical methods that can help, such as using ice packs, elevating the affected area, and practicing relaxation techniques. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions and take pain medication as directed.

3. Is there anything I can do to speed up my recovery?

There are a few things you can do to help speed up your recovery after surgery. This includes following your doctor's post-op instructions, eating a healthy and balanced diet, getting enough rest, and staying hydrated. It is also important to avoid strenuous activities and to listen to your body, taking breaks as needed.

4. How can I prevent infection after surgery?

Preventing infection after surgery is important for a successful recovery. Your doctor will likely prescribe antibiotics, but there are also steps you can take to minimize the risk of infection, such as keeping the incision site clean and dry, changing dressings as directed, and avoiding touching the area with unwashed hands. It is also important to attend all follow-up appointments with your doctor.

5. How long will it take to fully recover from surgery?

The recovery time after surgery varies depending on the type of surgery and individual factors. Your doctor will provide more specific information about your recovery timeline, but in general, it can take several weeks to several months to fully recover. It is important to follow your doctor's instructions and listen to your body during this time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
chefheidi2003
  • pampchefrhondab
  • General Chat
Replies
Views
Kitchen Diva
  • carlajanes
  • General Chat
Replies