• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Have You Tried Caramel Apple French Toast?

In summary, the recipe calls for slicing French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. The recipe includes eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt, and is beaten with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F. The bread is spread with Praline Topping and baked for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. The bread is then served with maple syrup.
gbakes27
Gold Member
Does anone remember this recipe from the mid 90's? I used to make it all the time and i haven't been able to find the recipe. It is soooo good. It's a do ahead one bake it in the morning. I used to bring it into work once in a while - everyone loved it! Can someone help me find it???

yeah, please help her find this recipe because now I want it, too! :)

Kitchen Diva said:
yeah, please help her find this recipe because now I want it, too! :)

yeahthat.gif

i have found thigns like it by just web searching but not what i remember specifically. I was consultant way back then and had recipe cards for it. I must have thrown them out?? I have move a lot recently and they mst be tucked into a cookbook somewhere in storage... bummer

I couldn't find one in the PC archives - but I googled it and this one sounds divine!

Caramel Apple French Toast
(6 servings)
1 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons white Karo syrup
6 tablespoons butter
1 cup chopped pecans
3 Delicious apples -- peeled/cored/sliced
1/3 cup water
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon corn starch
12 slices Texas Toast or 1-inch thick cut french bread
12 ounces cream cheese
6 eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup whipping cream or half and half cream
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
2 teaspoons cinnamon (or 1 teaspoon cinnamon + 1 teaspoon nutmeg)
Grease generously 9"x13" glass pan.

Combine sugar, syrup, butter and boil in pan for one minute. Pour and spread over bottom of greased 9x13 pan. (Sprinkle with pecans.)

Combine apples, water, cinnamon, sugar, lemon juice and cook, stirring constantly, in pan over medium heat just until apples begin to soften. Add corn starch and continue to stir until thickened. Remove from heat.
Thickly spread cream cheese over 6 slices of bread and place in single layer to cover caramel mixture in 9x13 pan (cream cheese side up). Distribute apple mixture over bread/cream cheese layer. Cover with remaining 6 slices of bread.

Blend together eggs, milk, cream, vanilla, cinnamon and gently pour over bread layers in 9x13 pan. Cover and refrigerate overnight (not more than 24 hours).

Remove cover and bake in 350 degree oven 60 minutes until brown and slightly puffy. Immediately invert each serving on plate, sprinkle with powdered sugar, top with sweetened whipped cream and garnish with pecans, cinnamon, or nutmeg.

Fresh pears or peaches may be substituted for apples with cinnamon/nutmeg seasoning preferred. Fresh raspberries or strawberries may also be sprinkled over apple mixture stuffing for additional color and flavor.

Don't have a caramel apple one, but I have this....

Baked French Toast Casserole with Maple Syrup Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1 loaf French bread (13 to 16 ounces)
8 large eggs
2 cups half-and-half
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Dash salt
Praline Topping, recipe follows
Maple syrup

Slice French bread into 20 slices, 1-inch each. (Use any extra bread for garlic toast or bread crumbs). Arrange slices in a generously buttered 9 by 13-inch flat baking dish in 2 rows, overlapping the slices. In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half-and-half, milk, sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and beat with a rotary beater or whisk until blended but not too bubbly. Pour mixture over the bread slices, making sure all are covered evenly with the milk-egg mixture. Spoon some of the mixture in between the slices. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
The next day, preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spread Praline Topping evenly over the bread and bake for 40 minutes, until puffed and lightly golden. Serve with maple syrup.

Praline Topping:
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
Combine all ingredients in a medium bowl and blend well. Makes enough for Baked French Toast Casserole.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 8 hours
Cook Time: 40 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Giving credit to Ms Deen.. I sub Pepperidge Farm cinnamon swirl bread in place of cutting and messing with the french bread. I also make the praline topping and smear that on top before I refridgerate it. (One less step in the morning) This makes a 9 X !3 dish, so it serves more than they say. I also sometimes, if I have them, sprinkle dried cherries on it.

It is extremely sweet, hardy, filling and oh so good. Enough butter in it to kill most liviing things, but what a way to go.

Make the Caramel Apple Bread Pudding - except in the 9x13 instead of the DCB.

Related to Have You Tried Caramel Apple French Toast?

1. How do I make the caramel sauce for the French toast?

To make the caramel sauce, you will need 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup of unsalted butter, 1/4 cup of heavy cream, and 1 tsp of vanilla extract. In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and stir until it dissolves. Slowly pour in the heavy cream and continue stirring until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla extract.

2. Can I use regular bread instead of French bread?

Yes, you can use any type of bread for this recipe. However, using French bread will give the French toast a crispy exterior and a soft, fluffy interior.

3. How long does it take to prepare the French toast?

The prep time for this recipe is about 15 minutes, and the cooking time is 15-20 minutes. So, in total, it should take about 30-35 minutes to prepare the Caramel Apple French Toast.

4. Can I use a different type of apple?

Yes, you can use any type of apple you prefer. However, we recommend using apples that are firm and slightly tart, such as Granny Smith or Honeycrisp, for the best flavor and texture.

5. Can I make this recipe ahead of time?

Yes, you can prepare the French toast the night before and keep it in the fridge. In the morning, just pop it in the oven to bake. You can also freeze the French toast and reheat it in the oven when ready to serve.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• keynibear
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • chefannie
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Staci
  • Chef Kearns