• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Has anyone tried Chicken Tortilla Casserole in the Deep Covered Baker?

In summary, the author says that she made the recipe using a full size cake mix and a fluted pan, and that it turned out well. She also says that it would be good for a larger group as an appetizer.
jrstephens
Has anyone tried this in the Deep Covered Baker instead of the Deep Dish; and used the cover instead of parchment paper to cover.

I think when I get around to trying it I will try the Covered Baker. Unless someone has tried it already and it did not work out.

I would love to sale the higher piece of stoneware!:chef:

Let us know how it turns out! Sounds yummy either way!

Has anyone tried this at all? Do you think it's a "kid-friendly" recipe?

I am making it right now! I didn't even read the recipe correctly, as I thought it WAS made in the DCB!! I am taking it for a dinner at church today, so I will report back later on how it tastes and how spicey it is. (I am assuming that's what you are asking about, Kristen, when you say kid friendly? How hot it is?)

I made a few changes (seems I can never leave a recipe alone! LOL) I used boneless skinless chicken BREAST since I can't stand thighs...I used the entire 16 oz. jar of salsa, and I added a can of corn that I drained.

Be back after church!

Just curious, how did it turn out???

Sounds yummy. can't wait to try it.

KellyTheChef said:
I am making it right now! I didn't even read the recipe correctly, as I thought it WAS made in the DCB!! I am taking it for a dinner at church today, so I will report back later on how it tastes and how spicey it is. (I am assuming that's what you are asking about, Kristen, when you say kid friendly? How hot it is?)

I made a few changes (seems I can never leave a recipe alone! LOL) I used boneless skinless chicken BREAST since I can't stand thighs...I used the entire 16 oz. jar of salsa, and I added a can of corn that I drained.

Be back after church!

Kelly....didn't you have trouble with the lemon cakes because you mis-read the recipe?? What are we going to do with you? ;)

Mmm, I am going to thank her again, Lisa, because I am sure I would have made the saem mistake if it hadn't been pointed out!

BTW, I have been getting the tangy pepper-pecan brie recipe incorrect all season. I have been mixing the pecans into the apricot & jalapeno mixture.

Last night, there were several Season's Best scatter about and someone said, "hey, you're supposed to sprinkle the pecans on top."

I am rather proud of myself. I didn't miss a beat or get flustered. I just said, meh, "I don't like extra steps, so I improved on it." It got a laugh, and several people told me later they combine recipe steps all the time.

I made it last night. It turned out fine.
Yes, the kids ate it. Just a little cuase they are picky. But they DID eat it.
No it was not too spicy.
Yes I used chicken breasts. They were on sale.
Yes I used more salsa
Yes I used more cheese. I used more of that probably cause I used the larger stoneware.
I accidentally used more chips.
No it didnt change anything.
I would use more peppers for the bottom. One didnt cover enough.
Yes it travels/reheats/stores well as leftovers. Its in my fridge right now.
Yes its very filling.
Could work well for large groups as appetizer.

HTH ;)

I made it in the DCB and it went over very well at church. Since I finished it here (added the cheese and cilantro to the top and then didn't stir again after that) and then it sat in the warm oven during church...all of the liquid was soaked up by the tortillas. If I ever need to do it and keep it super warm for a while, I will add a can of chicken broth.

Reheats well...I just finished some for my lunch.

I will CERTAINLY serve sour cream on the side and extra cilantro on the side next time. Anything mexican is better with sour cream and cilantro!

I made mine with onion on the bottom (couldn't find the peppers) and I think it was seasoned well, but I would NOT call it spicy! I think kids would eat it with no problems!

GeorgiaPeach said:
Kelly....didn't you have trouble with the lemon cakes because you mis-read the recipe?? What are we going to do with you? ;)
LOL Lisa!

Actually, I was one of the few who DIDN'T make that mistake!!;) I used a full size cake mix, but that's cuz I doubled the recipe to make it in our fluted pan!!

If I demo this for a show, I will use the Deep Covered Baker since it's a higher priced item, and I can talk about all of our super recipes that you can do in it!

KellyTheChef said:
LOL Lisa!

Actually, I was one of the few who DIDN'T make that mistake!!;) I used a full size cake mix, but that's cuz I doubled the recipe to make it in our fluted pan!!

Okay...you're off the hook :) I thought you used a full size mix....forgot you did it on purpose! I actually like your idea. I'd rather show the fluted pan than the prep bowls. You can always tell them about the prep bowls as a recipe variation.

I'm making the chicken tortilla casserole for dinner tonight. :chef:

I was thinking of doing it in the DCB because right now I lack BOTH ... but I hope to obtain at least one of them in the near future and think the DCB would be more versatile.Do you think the recipe would be better if the whole thing was just doubled?Also ... what about serving sour cream and salsa on the side in the simple additions caddy?

Di_Can_Cook said:
I was thinking of doing it in the DCB because right now I lack BOTH ... but I hope to obtain at least one of them in the near future and think the DCB would be more versatile.

Do you think the recipe would be better if the whole thing was just doubled?

Also ... what about serving sour cream and salsa on the side in the simple additions caddy?
If you are going to purchase a stone, the deep covered baker is the one to get!

You can't double it and put it in the DCB. It was pretty full when I made it in the covered baker with the original recipe (I did add about 4 oz. more salsa and a can of corn)

I would CERTAINLY serve sour cream on the side in SA...not sure about extra salsa. Maybe guacamole and sour cream? Any or all of those would be good additions, and it would show off more products!

KellyTheChef said:
LOL Lisa!

If I demo this for a show, I will use the Deep Covered Baker since it's a higher priced item, and I can talk about all of our super recipes that you can do in it!

Okay, share! How did it turn out in the fluted pan? Did you just line the bottom with lemons? Did you brush the sides with butter and sugar? How did you bake it (oven, micro? times and temps). You cannot keep this a secret!

Ok, I will tell all!

I brushed the sides with butter and covered with sugar. I laid 12 slices of lemons in the bottom of the pan, they overlapped each other.

I doubled the recipe for the batter (full size yellow cake mix, doubled all other ingredients) and then baked it at 350 for 45 minutes.

Let it cool for 10 minutes, then flipped it out onto the large round SA platter.

Used the silicone brush to brush on the glaze. (BTW- I added lemon zest to the glaze to make it more lemony!)

Only one piece was left to bring home from church on Sunday...and I gobbled that up the next morning!!

wadesgirl said:
Okay, share! How did it turn out in the fluted pan? Did you just line the bottom with lemons? Did you brush the sides with butter and sugar? How did you bake it (oven, micro? times and temps). You cannot keep this a secret!
Ok I'm confused. It started out as the Chicken casserole recipe so now are you talking about those lemon cakes made in the prep bowl (don't know the name) and Kelly used a fluted pan instead of the PBs?

And is the Casserole REally good or just ok? It sounds yummy!

heat123 said:
Ok I'm confused. It started out as the Chicken casserole recipe so now are you talking about those lemon cakes made in the prep bowl (don't know the name) and Kelly used a fluted pan instead of the PBs?

And is the Casserole REally good or just ok? It sounds yummy!

It's all Kelly's fault! The lemon cakes in the prep bowl are devine but the fluted pan makes for an option for bigger crowds. I had to make her share the recipe:chef:

That sounds like a good idea, to make it into a regular size cake! I will have to try it soon!

heat123 said:
That sounds like a good idea, to make it into a regular size cake! I will have to try it soon!

See that's why I had to ask. I'm supposed to make these for DH's family one night but didn't want to make two batches of small cakes, one big cake would be better.

Is this recipe posted anywhere or do I have to wait for my changeover kit?

Which recipe?!

Chicken Tortilla Casserole!!

Di, who lacks sufficient prep bowls to make that recipe and also lacks a fluted pan, makes a mental note to track Kelly down and borrow hers for a future church potluck or real live show ....

Di_Can_Cook said:
Di, who lacks sufficient prep bowls to make that recipe and also lacks a fluted pan, makes a mental note to track Kelly down and borrow hers for a future church potluck or real live show ....

The prep bowls are on the new supply order. You HAVE to get a full set. I'm not giving you the option, you need to get the full set ASAP. And the fluted pan is a great investment.

StacieB said:
Chicken Tortilla Casserole!!

Hmmm... I haven't seen this recipe before.

wadesgirl said:
Hmmm... I haven't seen this recipe before.

It's in the new SB for Spring/Summer.

heat123 said:

Surely this isn't the FIRST time you have read a thread that totally got off on another topic as many post as you have!:D :rolleyes: :eek: :D :balloon:

of course not but I was confused about the other recipe referance and wanted to know which it was cause it sounded like a great idea!

1. How do I make the chicken tortilla casserole gluten-free?

To make the casserole gluten-free, simply substitute regular flour tortillas with gluten-free tortillas or use crushed corn tortillas instead. You can also use gluten-free flour to make the roux for the sauce.

2. Can I make this casserole ahead of time and freeze it?

Yes, this casserole can be assembled ahead of time and frozen for up to 3 months. Just make sure to thaw it in the refrigerator overnight before baking it according to the recipe instructions.

3. Can I use cooked chicken instead of raw chicken in this casserole?

Yes, you can use cooked chicken in this casserole. Simply omit the step of cooking the chicken in the skillet and add the cooked chicken directly to the casserole before baking.

4. Can I add vegetables to this casserole?

Yes, you can add vegetables like bell peppers, corn, or black beans to this casserole for added flavor and nutrition. Simply sauté them with the onions and garlic in the skillet before adding them to the casserole.

5. How can I make this casserole spicier?

If you like a little heat, you can add diced jalapenos or a pinch of cayenne pepper to the sauce mixture. You can also top the casserole with sliced jalapenos or hot sauce before baking for an extra kick of spice.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Roadtripray
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
KindaichiShota
Replies
Views
PamperedinConshy
  • Alanna1
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies